What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

On 2/6/2017 at 7:02 AM, ittaku said:

How old is old? 2+ 5+ years? 10+ years?

From my 10+ year old list, in addition to what @Nandemonai recommended, Love Hina, 

LOVE HINA

LOVE HINA

L O V E H I N A

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

tumblr_nu1lwa5LGd1uum06fo1_500.gif

also remember to watch slayers and nadia: the secret of blue water

Finished Kokoro Connect. That was excellent! Only rarely was it predictable but it didn't change the fact that when it was predictable, it was well executed. I did like the way they resolved relationships without doing what I hate see happen (can't say more without spoilers.)  Great watch, 9/10.

Underway on Gintama with my wife too; we haven't given up after 10 episodes and are enjoying it more as it goes on so hopefully both of us are going to get a nice long watch out of what exists so far.

Nearly halfway through a favorite of my sisters, Ouran High School Host Club. It's...... alright, I really like the characters but I feel like they are wasted on the stories presented in the series. It feels like the writer was aiming for something like Hayate the Combat Butler in terms of atmosphere and comedy, but lacks the skill and funnybone, so it comes across as kinda trite.  

21 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Nearly halfway through a favorite of my sisters, Ouran High School Host Club. It's...... alright, I really like the characters but I feel like they are wasted on the stories presented in the series. It feels like the writer was aiming for something like Hayate the Combat Butler in terms of atmosphere and comedy, but lacks the skill and funnybone, so it comes across as kinda trite.  

I had trouble staying awake through Ouran so after about 4 or 5 episodes I gave up.

10 hours ago, ittaku said:

Finished Kokoro Connect. That was excellent! Only rarely was it predictable but it didn't change the fact that when it was predictable, it was well executed. I did like the way they resolved relationships without doing what I hate see happen (can't say more without spoilers.)  Great watch, 9/10.

See, I was under the impression that you, much like me, would also like this anime.
I still don't know why I like it, though.

Kokoro Connect is beautiful. I actually don't know anybody who's watched it who didn't like it. My favorite part is that it has good, medium-length plot arcs which get completely, satisfyingly resolved, but throughout them it's also advancing the characters and their relationships.

I will take this opportunity to once again lament the fact that the light novels aren't getting officially translated...

I watched all of Nisemonogatari in one day yesterday (hush, you frequent marathoners; that's a lot for me). I think my brain turned to mush. Nisemonogatari didn't leave quite as much of an impression on me as Bakemonogatari. Perhaps the arcs were a little too long this time, or maybe it was just not as charming since it wasn't constantly introducing lovable new main characters, but it was still great. The little sisters were fabulous, the fanservice was intense (especially Twister and the teeth brushing), and I really liked the vibe surrounding the conclusion of the last arc (phoenix).

Will definitely watch more, but for now, I need to watch something different. Thinking of picking up Maria the Virgin Witch, which, despite the worst title of all time and despite my having only heard of it once, comes highly recommended by that single person, whose taste I trust.

Edited by Fred the Barber

5 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Will definitely watch more, but for now, I need to watch something different. Thinking of picking up Maria the Virgin Witch, which, despite the worst title of all time and despite my having only heard of it once, comes highly recommended by that single person, whose taste I trust.

Oh, I really liked that one. I very much do love myself one hell of a powerful idealist, and the ending was fantastic.

I finished watching Simoun this week, really loved it. Didn't think I'd see an anime with so much dedication to its characters.

From the first episode, it looks like some strange fantasy series with yuri tied into it, but it actually turns out to be a really memorable and well thought out show. Without spoiling anything, the characters, drama, and setting all played huge parts in the story. Now it feels pretty homey reviewing the show and noticing details the second time around.

Edited by Chronopolis

7 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I watched all of Nisemonogatari in one day yesterday (hush, you frequent marathoners; that's a lot for me). I think my brain turned to mush. Nisemonogatari didn't leave quite as much of an impression on me as Bakemonogatari. Perhaps the arcs were a little too long this time, or maybe it was just not as charming since it wasn't constantly introducing lovable new main characters, but it was still great. The little sisters were fabulous, the fanservice was intense (especially Twister and the teeth brushing), and I really liked the vibe surrounding the conclusion of the last arc (phoenix).

I've enjoyed all the -monogataris, but I understand what you say about there needing to be gaps between watching them. They reach saturation point after a while.

Maria was a real surprise. Looked and sounded really stupid but watching it was a real pleasure and it was self-contained, complete and satisfying.

Oh, hey, two more people with reliably good taste suggesting Maria. Well, that's a good sign.

I actually did watch the first episode of it last night, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of it now. I'm on the fence about the art style, but everything else is looking really good so far, especially, of course, Maria.

29 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Onward to Claymore, I need something bloody to wash my palette. 

Claymore was awesome. I was expecting crap but found myself marathoning the damn thing the first time I watched it and loved it. The manga has finished too now years later, so if you find yourself left wanting after finishing the anime, I highly recommend reading the manga afterwards which is very satisfying and many many arcs longer than the anime

Wait, really, Claymore was good? I think I gave it two episodes, a long long time ago before I watched much anime (perhaps this is the problem?), and couldn't get into it at all. Does it end properly? What makes it good?

On my front: I'm about 5 episodes into Maria now, and it is not what I was expecting, on many fronts. The constant sexual innuendo from the succubus and the incubus is actually pretty funny (at least for my easy sense of humor), and I'm really liking the overall vibe of the show, and especially, of course, Maria. I still don't have a good feel for exactly where the show is headed, but I'm enjoying the ride.

3 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Wait, really, Claymore was good? I think I gave it two episodes, a long long time ago before I watched much anime (perhaps this is the problem?), and couldn't get into it at all. Does it end properly? What makes it good?

On my front: I'm about 5 episodes into Maria now, and it is not what I was expecting, on many fronts. The constant sexual innuendo from the succubus and the incubus is actually pretty funny (at least for my easy sense of humor), and I'm really liking the overall vibe of the show, and especially, of course, Maria. I still don't have a good feel for exactly where the show is headed, but I'm enjoying the ride.

But why her jaw...?

What were you expecting, actually? I more or less got what I believed I would be getting after reading about it.

4 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

What makes it good? Well the same thing that makes most shows good - the characters. The storyline, action and intrigue surrounding the claymores themselves I also found appealing. Is it a perfect show? No, but it was very engaging. Does it end properly? Well, I'd have to say no, it's an inconclusive ending since it's 1/3 of the way through the story and deviates somewhat for the sake of the anime but it has an ending which is satisfying enough in its own way though I've been left wanting for more of course since a lot of questions are left unanswered. The manga does a thorough job of explaining them all but ends up being very long as a result. I bought the anime at a bargain basement sale so was always going to watch the whole lot through and glad I did because the more I watched the more hooked I got. Looking back at ANN I see I wasn't alone with the mode rating being 9/10 which I also gave it. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=7028

You've reminded me I need to rewatch it now...

Claymore has some shounen elements to it, but other than that its a dead serious supernatural story set in a fantasy world. You'd read it for the serious fights, the setting (their powers, the organizations), and the intrigue. The anime compared to the manga has some annoying, but otherwise, it's a matter of whether the above's your cup of tea.

I watched the anime and then skimmed through the manga (too fast to really appreciate it) many years ago. The manga's something I'd consider revisiting, if I'm ever in the mood for that kind of stuff.

Edited by Chronopolis

Finished Da Capo II (season 1) as my romcom filler. It actually surprised me by starting out better than the original Da Capo. The pace was better and I even found myself laughing at the silly awkward relationship moments. Then it spent the second half of the season slowly but surely turning into the same shit the first Da Capo was. Boring melodrama of the most uninteresting character and it got slower and slower till I started watching it at 10% faster speed... and then 20% faster to make it tolerable. And of course it ended without resolving the one storyline I cared about, obviously saving it for season 2. Oh well I wasn't expecting much after the first series, and it lived up to my expectations only, as a filler romcom to pass the time. When I have more time to spare and need to get sleepy at night I'll make my way through DCII season 2... and then do the same with 3. Why were these things popular enough to get multiple seasons again? Probably the guaranteed formula, offering nothing more. I'm only watching them cos I'm literally out of (non unpleasant) romances to watch. Best thing about it was hearing Yui Horie in yet another role.

Speaking of Hocchan, I think I know what I'm going to do now - I'm going to go back and finally finish Fruits Basket. It was better than DC and I dropped it cos it had aged badly.

Finished Claymore and good god that was another respectable houseparty ruined by a dripping stalactite of a shit ending...... and I'm not even refering to the fact that you have to read the manga to get the true end. The last arc of the anime was some high quality shit. 

Spoiler

There were the little things like the fighting dragging on wayyyy too long and the goals of the Silver King and the Organization becoming increasingly incomprehensible. Than things were starting to get really intolerable with the scenes trying to get the viewer to pitty Priscilla and failing horribly. I finally fucking snapped when Raki defended Priscilla from Clare on the grounds that everyone has suffered and the fighting has to stop somewhere................... 

CkJhlxiUgAEkps0.jpg

I wish my man Toshio Ozaki was around to tell Raki how much of a god dammed retard he is. 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

A lot of good anime suggestions on here; I need to keep a list!

I've been watching the "Sinbad" and "Magi" series on Netflix. They're not fantastic, but decent enough that I seem to keep watching. Occasionally the series has some really good moments that remind me a little of "Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood" in terms of epic scope, but those moments are rare.

I really want to keep watching the "Berserk" series (loved the movies), but I can't find a good place to watch it online.

I'm currently watching my way through Texhnolyze and Kino's Journey, which are both very interesting and quite philosophical anime. In terms of currently airing anime, I (as I imagine anyone who is also watching the show can guess) have been enjoying ACCA 13, and I must admit that I do take the time each with to keep up with One Piece. I find it enjoyable to have a good mix of genres.