What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Having used Momokuri before for a comparison, I just realized I was missing the final episode and decided to watch it. Man, was it cringe-inducing. It's pretty sad how the show tries to make an actual case for the boyfriend getting annoyed at the girlfriend not acting in a toxic, traditional way to a silly problem.

Spoiler

"She comes into the room we've all (a group of friends) rented and finds the girls teasing me, and instead of getting jealous and mad for it she reacts with her constant and on-going absolute trust in me and joins in on the fun? How dare she! I'm gonna storm off and wonder if she actually loves me at all!"

Edited by Jun Inoue

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

Having used Momokuri before for a comparison, I just realized I was missing the final episode and decided to watch it. Man, was it cringe-inducing. It's pretty sad how ..

Probably need some spoiler tags there man...

I thoroughly enjoyed Momokuri too but I was the opposite with LC; I loved everything about Lovely Complex, even when it got relatively serious. It was not perfect by any stretch but a perfect romantic comedy is almost impossible it seems and this was one of the best ever (for me.)

6 hours ago, ittaku said:

Probably need some spoiler tags there man...

I thoroughly enjoyed Momokuri too but I was the opposite with LC; I loved everything about Lovely Complex, even when it got relatively serious. It was not perfect by any stretch but a perfect romantic comedy is almost impossible it seems and this was one of the best ever (for me.)

Do you really think so? I mean, that's not really a spoiler of anything about the story, but smth that happens thorough the series =X

13 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Having used Momokuri before for a comparison, I just realized I was missing the final episode and decided to watch it. Man, was it cringe-inducing. It's pretty sad how the show tries to make an actual case for the boyfriend getting annoyed at the girlfriend not acting in a toxic, traditional way to a silly problem.

Reveal hidden contents

"She comes into the room we've all (a group of friends) rented and finds the girls teasing me, and instead of getting jealous and mad for it she reacts with her constant and on-going absolute trust in me and joins in on the fun? How dare she! I'm gonna storm off and wonder if she actually loves me at all!"

Oh, I don't disagree,

Spoiler

but Momo has this complex about his height that leads him to believe she doesn't "love" him in the same way he loves her.

See, I had no issues with this plot-point because even I believed she doesn't show much in the way of "love". The right kind of love, I mean. She shows a lot of admiration and she likes how cute he looks. Frankly, the girl would probably be fine if someone else different were his girlfriend. She'd still get to watch him be all cute an worship him.
Why, then, do we believe she loves him? Because, when she is all by her lonesome and made to wonder about how it'd be if he didn't love her, she shows that she wants him to love her. But she doesn't show any of this to Momo. All Momo sees is a girl who finds him cute and might as well be a sister watching over a cute child.

7 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Oh, I don't disagree,

Hide contents

but Momo has this complex about his height that leads him to believe she doesn't "love" him in the same way he loves her.

See, I had no issues with this plot-point because even I believed she doesn't show much in the way of "love". The right kind of love, I mean. She shows a lot of admiration and she likes how cute he looks. Frankly, the girl would probably be fine if someone else different were his girlfriend. She'd still get to watch him be all cute an worship him.
Why, then, do we believe she loves him? Because, when she is all by her lonesome and made to wonder about how it'd be if he didn't love her, she shows that she wants him to love her. But she doesn't show any of this to Momo. All Momo sees is a girl who finds him cute and might as well be a sister watching over a cute child.

Indeed, but

Spoiler

Momo himself acknowledges that his whole reasoning was "hey, I'm already on high school, having a cute girlfriend could be nice." And, I mean, it's pretty much like you said, the "right kind of love." What kind is that? There can be tons of ways to love someone, a realization that at least Momo makes at the very end of the last episode. That Kurihara doesn't display her love as toxic jealousy and possessiveness should be played as an interesting, mature/tolerant aspect to their relationship. And the show does make a point of showing Momo being having his complex, problems of not self-identifying as "masculine" and having doubts about Kirihara's feelings.

What's my complain, then? That the show never resolves them. The anime doesn't make a point to show that Momo's obsession for traditional masculinity is shallow, and silly when considering that the girl she loves wants no such thing from him. The anime doesn't really give Momo progression on his complex. He ends the anime still feeling like he's inferior and not really a man (on the penultimate episode, he wonders if he should assault Kirihara while ill/asleep, and chastises himself... not for the idea, but for not "having the guts" to pull through. And the anime ends with Momo asking himself about different kinds of loves, so that's kind of a half victory regarding the topic of different kinds of love, I guess?

But my main complain is that. The show points at some problems... and just leaves them. Clearly shows some of the toxicity of modern relationships and the conflicts of "modern times" and more traditional approaches to identity, and then does nothing with it. Which is why the chill parts were lovable, and the parts about the relationship, to me, were either cringe-inducing or just eye roll-worthy.

Also @Eris.Rafflesia:P

foto de Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo.

Edited by Jun Inoue

Finished all of Hidamari Sketch, or as someone on Reddit described it, wide girls doing wide things.

What a series. Always funny, always adorable, always comfy, and the ending OVA absolutely wrecks.

Miyako is still best girl. I wish there were more characters in anime as shameless, up-for-everything and tomboyish as her.

Edited by john 'mr. customer' smith

On 04/01/2017 at 5:21 PM, Jun Inoue said:

Indeed, but

Reveal hidden contents

Momo himself acknowledges that his whole reasoning was "hey, I'm already on high school, having a cute girlfriend could be nice." And, I mean, it's pretty much like you said, the "right kind of love." What kind is that? There can be tons of ways to love someone, a realization that at least Momo makes at the very end of the last episode. That Kurihara doesn't display her love as toxic jealousy and possessiveness should be played as an interesting, mature/tolerant aspect to their relationship. And the show does make a point of showing Momo being having his complex, problems of not self-identifying as "masculine" and having doubts about Kirihara's feelings.

What's my complain, then? That the show never resolves them. The anime doesn't make a point to show that Momo's obsession for traditional masculinity is shallow, and silly when considering that the girl she loves wants no such thing from him. The anime doesn't really give Momo progression on his complex. He ends the anime still feeling like he's inferior and not really a man (on the penultimate episode, he wonders if he should assault Kirihara while ill/asleep, and chastises himself... not for the idea, but for not "having the guts" to pull through. And the anime ends with Momo asking himself about different kinds of loves, so that's kind of a half victory regarding the topic of different kinds of love, I guess?

But my main complain is that. The show points at some problems... and just leaves them. Clearly shows some of the toxicity of modern relationships and the conflicts of "modern times" and more traditional approaches to identity, and then does nothing with it. Which is why the chill parts were lovable, and the parts about the relationship, to me, were either cringe-inducing or just eye roll-worthy.

Hmm...

Spoiler

That first question, what "the right kind of love" is doesn't really have an answer, and I don't think think the show tried to answer it so much as it tried to show that many ways did indeed exist.
I also find that calling Kirihara's behaviour "mature/tolerant" to be a bit dodgy, but I get what you mean.

I don't really agree here. I felt the anime ended after Momo got over his worries. Why didn't you?
As for the penultimate episode, I once again disagree. He got attracted to her, almost tried to do something and then... pulled back, calling himself a coward for even thinking of doing such a thing to her whilst she slept. Showing his love should be done when it requires the most courage: with her awake and attentive.

Also,
good-job-o.gif Konosuba!

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Haha, double post. lolZenophilious

----

My sister has been insisting that I watch Sword Art Online. As a direct consequence I've decided to watch Log Horizon.
Now tell me I'm a wonderful human being.

You are a hero. Not the one your sister wants, but the one she needs.

Edited by Jun Inoue

Log Horizon is bloody brilliant.
Absolutely love the kind of main character they were going for here. In some ways reminds me of Alderamin's MC as well as Yamato from Majikoi: All three have completely different personalities but there's just this strategic side they have in common. So, yes. I love this type of MC and the shows that have them.
Liked every character, liked the plot (especially People of the Land being, well, people, too), yada yada. Interestingly, I noted various (read as: at least one) characters have accents -- It's the first time I've seen an anime with them distinctly present without at least a scene where the characters themselves take note of this.

In the meanwhile, I've also started another one, which is in many ways everything I ever wanted: Slayers;
Without really knowing where to look, I've been looking for an anime where we have characters in a fantasy/medieval land just... adventuring, I guess: doing stuff, getting in trouble, getting out of trouble, and with a focus on comedy. I got a bit of this with Inuyasha's many filler episodes, which I preferred over the actual arcs, but I like Slayer more due to the character personalities here (more suited to comedy).
Most fantasy settings I come across just seem to have a focus on the action, or on the plot, or some such thing. Slayers unashamedly feels free to add comedy wherever it feels like, and it's all the better for it. When I watch anime I may on occasion stop to think... and blurt out my own sarcastic comment at the situation or the character's actions: When the anime manages to reflect my own thoughts, then I have little choice but to revere it.

Problems with it would be the dated art. It's from 1995, which is relatively recent, and yet I have difficulty discerning much of what goes on on screen. I cannot tell if it's simply too busy for a show its age or if they just handled it badly -- I never had any problems watching anime during my childhood -- I see absolutely no reason I should have more trouble with something from the 90s than things from the 70s or 80s. To its credit, I think its mostly just a thing from the 90s, as I have always had issues putting up with art from that period.

Another issue I have is that it does have serious parts... And they are so generically typical I can't tell if it's a deadpan parody or if that was a thing back then. I'll go with the former and just keep on laughing.

Edit: In fact, the first 5 seconds of the OP tell it all. Quite enough to get me hooked. I forgot to mention the main character's voice actors, but they are both superb. The first three sentences of the OP, along with her delivery of them convinced me thoroughly.
Lina sounds like a young girl, which contrasts greatly with her power and "wisdom". Gourry sounds like the dumb bag of bricks he is. Evil guys sound stereotypically evil. Good guys sound like justice nutjobs. It's marvellous.

54 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Log Horizon is bloody brilliant.
Absolutely love the kind of main character they were going for here. In some ways reminds me of Alderamin's MC as well as Yamato from Majikoi: All three have completely different personalities but there's just this strategic side they have in common. So, yes. I love this type of MC and the shows that have them.
Liked every character, liked the plot (especially People of the Land being, well, people, too), yada yada. Interestingly, I noted various (read as: at least one) characters have accents -- It's the first time I've seen an anime with them distinctly present without at least a scene where the characters themselves take note of this.

In the meanwhile, I've also started another one, which is in many ways everything I ever wanted: Slayers;
Without really knowing where to look, I've been looking for an anime where we have characters in a fantasy/medieval land just... adventuring, I guess: doing stuff, getting in trouble, getting out of trouble, and with a focus on comedy. I got a bit of this with Inuyasha's many filler episodes, which I preferred over the actual arcs, but I like Slayer more due to the character personalities here (more suited to comedy).
Most fantasy settings I come across just seem to have a focus on the action, or on the plot, or some such thing. Slayers unashamedly feels free to add comedy wherever it feels like, and it's all the better for it. When I watch anime I may on occasion stop to think... and blurt out my own sarcastic comment at the situation or the character's actions: When the anime manages to reflect my own thoughts, then I have little choice but to revere it.

Problems with it would be the dated art. It's from 1995, which is relatively recent, and yet I have difficulty discerning much of what goes on on screen. I cannot tell if it's simply too busy for a show its age or if they just handled it badly -- I never had any problems watching anime during my childhood -- I see absolutely no reason I should have more trouble with something from the 90s than things from the 70s or 80s. To its credit, I think its mostly just a thing from the 90s, as I have always had issues putting up with art from that period.

Another issue I have is that it does have serious parts... And they are so generically typical I can't tell if it's a deadpan parody or if that was a thing back then. I'll go with the former and just keep on laughing.

Edit: In fact, the first 5 seconds of the OP tell it all. Quite enough to get me hooked. I forgot to mention the main character's voice actors, but they are both superb. The first three sentences of the OP, along with her delivery of them convinced me thoroughly.
Lina sounds like a young girl, which contrasts greatly with her power and "wisdom". Gourry sounds like the dumb bag of bricks he is. Evil guys sound stereotypically evil. Good guys sound like justice nutjobs. It's marvellous.

When you mention Yamato my first thought was Kira Yamato for some reason, yeah........

But yeah the MC from Log horizon does have a brooding side to him which i  really like, and pretty much all of the characters have interesting and enjoyable characters.

Slayer, once upon a time a watched the first episode then i never came back to it. Not because i thought it was bad i enjoyed it quite a bit but i simply placed it on my to watch list and forgot about it. I really need to watch that series some time. Placed it on my shortlist for now.

Also if you are looking for something that is just really enyoable you might want to check out Isekai No Seikishi Monogatari it is a harem but bloody enjoyable.

P.S how is it going with desert punk?

Finally finished Steins; Gate. It was indeed very good, but I wouldn't rate it a masterpiece as others have. Certainly is a must watch series though (especially since I never had the patience to play the VN, maybe if it had H I would have...)

Moving along, time to start Space Battleship Yamato 2199 which I've heard good things about, plus if I like it enough I'll be prepared for the sequel coming up.

I've now finished Log Horizon and nearly concluded Slayers.

Log Horizon was quite fantastic. Truly excellent. Will consider watching the following season. Apparently the plot does not actually go anywhere, for which it could be better to wait for an eventual but likely hopeless third season.

Slayers has its issues for me, though I blame myself more than the show.
Slayers' serious moments are a parody of the fantasy/action shows of the time, with cackling evil villains and the fate of the world on the line. It's a parody because the heroes aren't exactly paragons of virtue and the justice obsessed are indeed treated like freaks. Because the villains and dramatic scenes so accurately depict what was common for the time... they are cringe-inducing-ly generic and stereotypical, to the point I can't enjoy the more serious moments at all.
I'll also leave a note of love to the music which, due to how repetitive some themes were, I can  remember very well and really like. Every time she used a dragon slave the same theme played and such.
I got used to the art, so that's one issue erased.

I am currently trying to decide between watching Moribito and Nanbaka. Decidedly different shows, I know, and I wonder if I'd even enjoy something like Moribito. Won't stop me from trying.

2 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I've now finished Log Horizon and nearly concluded Slayers.

Log Horizon was quite fantastic. Truly excellent. Will consider watching the following season. Apparently the plot does not actually go anywhere, for which it could be better to wait for an eventual but likely hopeless third season.

Slayers has its issues for me, though I blame myself more than the show.
Slayers' serious moments are a parody of the fantasy/action shows of the time, with cackling evil villains and the fate of the world on the line. It's a parody because the heroes aren't exactly paragons of virtue and the justice obsessed are indeed treated like freaks. Because the villains and dramatic scenes so accurately depict what was common for the time... they are cringe-inducing-ly generic and stereotypical, to the point I can't enjoy the more serious moments at all.
I'll also leave a note of love to the music which, due to how repetitive some themes were, I can  remember very well and really like. Every time she used a dragon slave the same theme played and such.
I got used to the art, so that's one issue erased.

I am currently trying to decide between watching Moribito and Nanbaka. Decidedly different shows, I know, and I wonder if I'd even enjoy something like Moribito. Won't stop me from trying.

I watched moribito years ago, when i was just starting out I believe i watched it together with Guin Saga.
From what i remember which admittedly is not much,  it was a really good series with some very well written characters, a great story but it could be a little difficult to follow mind you that was 8-10 years ago.
I also remember really liking the female lead mostly because she was a bit older and more grown up than usual.

But i am curious, what has you worried about moribito?

1 minute ago, havoc said:

I watched moribito years ago, when i was just starting out I believe i watched it together with Guin Saga.
From what i remember which admittedly is not much,  it was a really good series with some very well written characters, a great story but it could be a little difficult to follow mind you that was 8-10 years ago.
I also remember really liking the female lead mostly because she was a bit older and more grown up than usual.

But i am curious, what has you worried about moribito?

Well, it's a serious story. I don't mix well with things without any comedy, generally speaking.
Well, that is about it. If the premise got me interested it's likely I'll enjoy it for the plot, comedy or otherwise.

As for Desert Punk, I only watch that whenever I'm in the mood, and it turns out it's not always.

2 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Well, it's a serious story. I don't mix well with things without any comedy, generally speaking.
Well, that is about it. If the premise got me interested it's likely I'll enjoy it for the plot, comedy or otherwise.

As for Desert Punk, I only watch that whenever I'm in the mood, and it turns out it's not always.

I kind of understand that, while i usually like serious story's  I personally dont do well with depressing stories or endings from that matter.
And you are entirely right it is a pretty serious story, but i remember it did have its comedic moments but those where quite few and mostly in the first half. (Dont quite me on that if im wrong though)

Regarding Log Horizon, it started off with a really strong first season, but season 2 does indeed take a dip in quality.

I'm sure you've read the countless reviews and comments about how it goes nowhere, but I think it's not exactly that. I think the problem is that the series sort of lacked an identity? It's hard to explain it, but I became confused with the characters' goals and what they wanted to achieve, as well as what the series was actually supposed to be in season 2. The romantic drama in particular completely threw me out of the loop, as well as that one arc with the kids.

A lot of that RPG strategy I loved from the first season, as well as the subplots the first season started, barely go anywhere in season 2, and I think Log Horizon really missed a big chance to be innovative and just kinda stalled.

It's not that season 2 is bad as a whole. It didn't ruin the entire franchise or anything, but I felt a lack of charm from it.

Rewatching Kanon2006 with my wife. I haven't rewatched it since it aired over 10 years ago (2006 duh.) It still stands up very well. Sure there are convenient and obvious plot points and devices but most of them work and the characters and story development are great. Funnily enough those plot devices were very original and did not feel forced in 2006 whereas now, everyone's done the same thing since then. Someone had to do these things the first time around, and I'm a sucker for the original execution of what becomes a classic trope. Only the eyes are overdone, but otherwise it still looks great too.

Currently, I'm watching Paranoia Agent. I absolutely adore the opening, both the music and the visuals to go along with it. It sets the mood quite well for each episode. The show itself is pretty good too, it's whack and has a Serial Experiments Lain kind of atmosphere (but a bit more understandable; I had no idea what was going on in SEL half the time). I hope the ending will bring a satisfying conclusion.

Finished Moribito. Enjoyed it a lot. It was a heart-warming and emotional experience.
Some people seemed to complain it lacked a sense of urgency or was too light-hearted for us to truly worry about anyone's fate, but that's probably one of the reasons I could enjoy it so much.
Did lots of interesting things and I think the storytelling was, a lot of the time, well done. Excellent antagonists.

Having finished Moribito I've now started... Baka to Test, for true QUALITYTM shows.

7 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Finished Moribito. Enjoyed it a lot. It was a heart-warming and emotional experience.

I'm glad you liked it :D

I recently started New Game, and holy shit is it great. I generally like laid-back slice-of-life shows like this, but I usually find them a little bit boring, so I don't watch them too often. However, I do not find this one boring at all, and I think it's because it has that unique twist that the characters are working adults, and the depiction of working life is incredibly spot-on without itself being boring.

Just finished watching el cazador la bruja it is a sweet little story and the characters are enjoyable But in the end it felt a bit bland to be honest.
Thoe main story just unfolded so slowly it even managed to bore me at times and im someone who usually likes a slow story.
The series for the most part behaved episodic with little snippets of the main story being shown in each episode and this is probably what led to the story to feeling so slow.
And while i generally enjoy episode shows this style with little bits of the overarching plot shown in each episode just does not seem to sit well with me.
They should have gotten the main plot out of the way in the first half of the series and then go to an episodic nature or should have gone entirely episodic.

Personally i almost always prefer a 26 episode series over a 12 or 13 episode series but this was one of the few times i would say 13 episodes would have made for a better series.

So to sum up my opinion would be fun but bland and at times a bit boring.

Next I will be starting madlax.

Finished watching Space Battleship Yamato 2199 to relive the original starblazers series that I grew up on decades ago. It was very good and brought back lots of memories and was mostly very engaging, along with a surprising amount of romance. Sure it had some terribly backward ideas for future technology and medicine which I could mostly overlook but it was still a great watch. 8/10