What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

1 minute ago, Fred the Barber said:

The Persona 4 animation was mostly not an enjoyable experience for me, but I did think it did a much better job with the ending than P4G's endings.

With the kind of hours you have to put into P4G's True End, it better not be better. lol

Began watching Persona 4: The Golden Animation alongside the 'main' non-Golden P4 anime (boy, that's confusing, ain't it?) due to the main anime not having the Marie social link event. Kinda disappointed that there's no dub for it, and I'm quite surprised too at said disappointment since I had often favored original audio over dub, being the filthy purist that I am. The Japanese voices are okay, nothing to complain about, but they don't stand out the way the English voices did, particularly the masculine kung-fu Chie (and yes, I meant "masculine" in a good way).

My main peeve with the Golden anime is that it's basically a rehash of the first P4 anime but with mild alterations here and there. It's obviously based off NG+, since Yu has more courage now, and Izanagi is obviously more powerful, being able to use what I think was the almighty skill, Megidolaon, which he probably learned from a skill card from a prior playthrough (okay, getting way too meta now). Anyway, even though most of the plot is samey, I guess it couldn't be helped since the prologue doesn't exactly provide much variety in NG+. I wish they had used the opportunity to explore other social links though, like Daisuke's soccer or Yumi's drama club, which they left out in the first anime. I'm sure there were a couple of other stuff they missed out too; I know I did, having discovered certain night time slink events during my current NG+.

Overall, not a very brilliant start to the series, but not too terrible either. It could've been worse, I guess.

Might slightly have fallen in love with New Game. Really is just excellent cute-girls-doing-cute-things SoL, and if there's one thing that's gonna make me binge watch a series, it's excellent cute-girls-doing-cute-things SoL. Being pretty damn funny helps too.

Spoiler

And oh lawd, the shipping game is so strong :3

Finally finished Gankutsuou. It ended up being really good, and the last parts were very moving and very satisfying. When I started watching it, I was hoping it would be some kind of work of art that would rely heavily on its crazy visuals for storytelling, but that only really ended up being the case for the first and last two episodes. In between, it was mostly just there for added character. Nevertheless, I found the show very suspenseful and engaging, despite my usual indifference to plot-heavy media.

Also, Haydée is my waifu the most aesthetically pleasing thing I have seen in any anime, manga or vn thus far. She's like the embodiment of everything I love about all my favourite art movements.

On 07/09/2016 at 9:28 PM, ittaku said:

Finished B Gata H Kei, aka Yamada's first time. That was quite different and amusing as a romantic comedy of sorts; I got a lot of laughs out of it, more so as the show progressed than early on.

Hide contents

Still didn't finish how I would have wished. Considering the material and the forward progress towards sex it was a major cop out to not have them successful by the end of the anime and resort to situation comedy to make them fail.

Spoiler

Wait, they didn't actually have sex in the anime by the end??? I used to regret not watching the anime because the manga was so much fucking longer than it should have been, but if that's true, I'm kinda happy I didn't bother with it. But yeah, it was great fun anyway.

Watched Charlotte by chance, and it was quite interesting contrast. The first half was quite something that looks like Monster of the Week plot, except change the monster with power user and quite lighthearted at that. The second half was start to more heavy at plot, started from episode 9. Also started to be more darker there (Actually 2nd half of episode 6 and episode 7 were quite dark as well). For my impression, it was quite a decent show imo.

I'm clearing my backlog from last season at the moment (only finished Re:Zero, Amanchu, Alderamin, Masou Gakuen and New Game so far). Was travelling a lot so most series got pushed into the backlog. 
Juggling between Momokuri, Taboo Tattoo and Love Live Sunshine now.

This season doesn't seem like it'd have many interesting series, from what I've seen so far...

4 minutes ago, PhleBuster said:

I'm clearing my backlog from last season at the moment (only finished Re:Zero, Amanchu, Alderamin, Masou Gakuen and New Game so far). Was travelling a lot so most series got pushed into the backlog. 
Juggling between Momokuri, Taboo Tattoo and Love Live Sunshine now.

This season doesn't seem like it'd have many interesting series, from what I've seen so far...

you can drop Taboo tattoo, its terrible.

started watching re;zero, up to ep. 4. i'm only moving at like 2 eps a day, gg

im a filthy casual who is entertained easily with shat standards, so i can definitely say it is quite entertaining, reminds me of rikoushi no calvary in how good they are able to handle tropes, and i like the premise, it's more Rewrite than Rewrite ever was, 

3 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

started watching re;zero, up to ep. 4. i'm only moving at like 2 eps a day, gg

im a filthy casual who is entertained easily with shat standards, so i can definitely say it is quite entertaining, reminds me of rikoushi no calvary in how good they are able to handle tropes, and i like the premise, it's more Rewrite than Rewrite ever was, 

We're two, while i loved the chara dev of the characters (and i still hate subaru) i found the universe soo boring and generic, with a better universe, Re;Zero would be near perfection. 

Re;zero is so fking fun, im only slogging through a couple eps/day, at 8 currently but enjoying every minute

Ram&Rem needa do more of their duo commentary+insulting Basuru, it's gold

But yeah other than that I really liked how they were able to handle the emotional moments, very well done, Subaru finally encountering his murderer and BSODing over his predicament, Ram's tears, Emilia's Lap of Therapies, all good shit

I'm watching FLCL and as expected, I have no clue what's going on, but I'm still watching it just for the insane(ly good?) visual direction. I know there's supposedly a deeper meaning behind a lot of stuff, but I'm not sure if I'll care about that enough at the end to dig for it

edit: finished it, I guess it could have been some kind of coming-of-age-story, that's all I can say about it. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have this weird urge to go iron my shirts now.

Finally have time to watch the Monogatari series. So can anyone tell me what is so great about Senjougahara? Most of the comments I have seen about this show seem to love her but among the heroines she is the least interesting+likeable one in my opinion.

Especially Mayoi is great though, I can't help but laugh everytime she interacts with "Arararagi-san" :miyako:

2 hours ago, Seth said:

Finally have time to watch the Monogatari series. So can anyone tell me what is so great about Senjougahara? Most of the comments I have seen about this show seem to love her but among the heroines she is the least interesting+likeable one in my opinion.

Especially Mayoi is great though, I can't help but laugh everytime she interacts with "Arararagi-san" :miyako:

I'm also watching Bakemonogatari at the moment, and had the exact opposite reaction: Senjougahara may be best girl of all time, and why haven't I ever heard anybody say that before (well, probably because I've never looked around for Monogatari discussion). I suspect it's something to do with her being really dominant, which does indeed happen to be a quality I appreciate.

Mayoi is pretty cute, though, including the constant butchering of "Aragi-san"'s name.

Also, shit this show is great, why didn't I watch it sooner.

On 10/7/2016 at 2:56 PM, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

I'm watching FLCL and as expected, I have no clue what's going on, but I'm still watching it just for the insane(ly good?) visual direction. I know there's supposedly a deeper meaning behind a lot of stuff, but I'm not sure if I'll care about that enough at the end to dig for it

edit: finished it, I guess it could have been some kind of coming-of-age-story, that's all I can say about it. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have this weird urge to go iron my shirts now.

Yah FLCL is pretty much one big metaphor for adolescence. Which I found to have been executed vary well, pretty much the only example of an anime that emphasized "message" over "story" that didn't piss me off (I'm looking at you Ego Proxy and Evan-gell-it-on). So imagine my shock when I learned that they are making another two more seasons that expand the "story". In the eternal words of Mr. Plinkett, "WHAT THE FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK?!?!?!". 

I think I'ma going to try and pick up Dr. Grayman again, because I hate being excited or engaged.

11 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I'm also watching Bakemonogatari at the moment, and had the exact opposite reaction: Senjougahara may be best girl of all time, and why haven't I ever heard anybody say that before (well, probably because I've never looked around for Monogatari discussion). I suspect it's something to do with her being really dominant, which does indeed happen to be a quality I appreciate.

Mayoi is pretty cute, though, including the constant butchering of "Aragi-san"'s name.

Also, shit this show is great, why didn't I watch it sooner.

Yes, you definitely haven't been looking for it, because she's almost universally accepted as the best girl in the series. (still salty she lost this year's best girl contest in /r/anime by a tiny margin)

I think the reason she's so appreciated isn't even just the fact she's dominant, you can find that quality in many places, it's the fact that she's such an anti-heroine and does everything you wouldn't expect a heroine to do.
She jokes about being a tsundere, even though she's clearly not, poking fun at the type of girl who can't be honest (you know, the type that's plagued heroine tropes since ever). She's blunt, mean, and goes after what she wants, often disregarding what others think about her. All those attitudes make her feel alive, they make her organic, and I think that's at the core of why she's so beloved.
She's the complete opposite of that stereotypical submissive sweet girl, which is also why I believe Araragi ended up falling in love with her instead of Hanekawa, despite Hanekawa having had a much bigger role in his life (won't get into it because Kizumonogatari spoilers).

A lot of people show disapproval for her because she won over Araragi so easily despite there being many other great girls out there. And while I personally also like some of the other girls more than Senjougahara, I can't help but feel like the chemistry between the two is almost unparalleled. Probably because Senjougahara complements Araragi in the weirdest ways, she has an intensity he lacks, and I think he himself knows that too, and that's why he loves her.

No matter how you feel about her, I don't think anyone can deny Senjougahara is one of the most unique characters in the entire series, and she deserves her spot as the main heroine.

TL;DR The Monogatari series is amazing and is full of awesome memorable characters, all of which you could probably write an essay on.

4 hours ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Can anyone recommend Aria? I've watched the first 4 episodes, and while I generally love SOL and I like the concept, the artstyle kinda rubs me the wrong way and I REALLY want to punch that cat-thing. Does it get better in that regard?

The artstyle is the best part, and the cat-thing is the best character.
Aside from that, I do not believe it at all changes. If you're not enjoying it thus far, I suppose I would regrettably recommend that you simply let this show go, and move on.