What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Symphogear on recommendation from a friend.

So far, it's incredible generic. Almost should be called "Generic: The Animation", every character, plot device, and episode follows what 10 million anime have done before it. Nothing stands out so far, except for an anime about singing...how bad the singing is, I'm shocked, usually even in awful anime, you can count on good singing, this one...not so much.

If this anime didn't have naked girls in pretty much every episode, I imagine no one would watch it.

Watching some Chinese anime's like Yaoguai Mingdan (I love the manga of this more) , Fox Spirit Matchmaker, and Cupid's Chocolate.
YM & CC are pretty good considering that YM was made from a low-budget company and CC is just sort of out there, but good nonetheless.
Most recent Japanese anime's I've seen have the MC being middle-school aged which is bothersome. Just make it a freshmen in HS like usual or something! it's creepy when the older heroine starts falling for the Junior High MC. But there's always the all-female cast shows, so it sort of balances out.

Just finished wolf girl and black prince. It was pretty decent. Unfortunately it didn't feel remotely original after watching Itazura Na Kiss which it seems to be a lesser imitation of with the broody cold male and genki ditzy girl combo. Plus INK covers much more ground in its story. Still I enjoyed watching it enough, but couldn't rewatch it with my wife as she'd loathe the lead male way too much.

Anybody that seriously recommends Symphogear, outside of the "It's so bad/dumb it's good" crowd isn't a particularly nice person.

I guess there's the occasional person that thinks it's an amazing original anime. And for those people all we can really do is look down, walk away and feel pity for them in hopes they will one day have a brighter future. :sleep:

2 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Anybody that seriously recommends Symphogear, outside of the "It's so bad/dumb it's good" crowd isn't a particularly nice person.

I guess there's the occasional person that thinks it's an amazing original anime. And for those people all we can really do is look down, walk away and feel pity for them in hopes they will one day have a brighter future. :sleep:

They like alot of bad anime, lol.

Thing is, I'm pretty anime'd out. I've watched most of the major ones, and I refuse to watch any "on-going" ones, ect.  So I dunno. I check BakaBT, Coalgirls, THORA, OCZ, Nyaa, all the time for what seems to be popular, but it's either extreme ecchi or something not complete.

3 hours ago, Jibril said:

Marathoned Zetsuen no Tempest until episode 13. Needless to say I should've watched this a long time ago. Can't believe I missed such a decently good Shounen anime....

I loved the music and also the Shakespeare quotes from that anime. So much so that I even ended up learning how to play some of the music.

Lol but marathoning 13 episodes :wafuu:, I remember having to wait for each episode to come out.

Aside from that, I've started to watch the second season of Re:zero. I must say, aside from Subaru, I like it.

Finished Wolf Girl and Black Prince, and Emma: A Victorian Romance. Both good watches and added both to my ultimately satisfying list. Rewatching Itazura na kiss with my wife and enjoying it again. It's strange because it's not 'great' and neither are the lead characters yet there's some spark it has which makes you want to keep watching it. Now watching B Gata H Kei.

1 hour ago, Mkilbride said:

Itazura na Kiss isn't great? I thought it was. Honestly...one of my favorite ever. Because it shows an actual relationship. There are so few anime that too. I mean it shows it all. College, work, kids, ect. All in a cute story.

I said I enjoyed it and kept watching because it had a spark. Its strongest point is that the story actually progresses and doesn't waste the entire anime hung up on tropes that most romantic comedies spend all the energy on. However I never found it particularly funny (just grinworthy), it was mostly predictable, I didn't like the lead hero, didn't mind the heroine but at no stage did I find her clumsy genki nature heartwarming as such and when it was over didn't have that empty feeling you get where you're sad because you're going to miss the characters and story... I didn't want to harp on about what I didn't like originally because as I said I did enjoy it, I just didn't find it great like other people did.

Finished B Gata H Kei, aka Yamada's first time. That was quite different and amusing as a romantic comedy of sorts; I got a lot of laughs out of it, more so as the show progressed than early on.

Spoiler

Still didn't finish how I would have wished. Considering the material and the forward progress towards sex it was a major cop out to not have them successful by the end of the anime and resort to situation comedy to make them fail.

I have no idea what older series I'm going to watch next now... I seem to have run out of recommendations.

Just finished watching Kimi no Na wa.... God damn Shinkai... you fucking outdid yourself, what an amazing step up from Garden of Words and 5cm/second. Shit didn't think I would actually cried, didn't even cried this much when I watched Clannad After Story or Shigatsu.... What the hell. Hands down one of the best romance anime I've watched in my life and without a doubt a contender AOTY of 2016. Unless Koe no Katachi became a masterpiece too, I doubt any anime this year and even the upcoming Fall season would surpass this one, not even Re Zero and ERASED...

Really looking forward to Shinkai's future work. Who knows, maybe he'll pick up the mantle that Mizayaki left behind albeit in his own style. He definitely proved himself that he can make great movies. Props to RADWIMPS too. Didn't expect much when they announced a rock band is composing all the soundtracks but they went above my expectations. On point music and very well composed.

10/10.

Spoiler

When Mizuha trip and forgot his name I was like "Just open your hands!" and when she did and Taki actually wrote "I love you" instead of his name.... Talk about a way to ruin your emotions for the rest of the week. The ending too, so many baits of being a tragic end, really thought it's gonna be another 5cm but when they saw each other between the trains, I was fucking screaming. Fucking hell, I'm glad this didn't end in a tragic way like 5cm.

I gotta say, I didn't expect much when I decided to watch Persona 4: The Animation alongside my second playthrough of P4G. I mean, let's face it, visual novel and video game adaptations don't exactly have the greatest reputation for being quality content, despite the Oscar-winning exceptions like Clannad (lmao) and maybe Mortal Kombat (jeez, I'm really grasping at straws here), so I went into this anime with a 'meh' expectation. It didn't help that a review I read pointed out its pacing problems, squeezing dungeon events into 1-2 episodes while squeezing the other story events like the camping trip into other eps. So yeah, this anime isn't suitable for newcomers; play the game first, then watch the anime.

Then again, if you've already played the game, then there's no reason to watch the anime, right? Surprisingly not in this case.

I reached episode 12 just now, and I was mildly annoyed when they

Spoiler

'skipped' the Mitsuo dungeon and flash-forward to the characters discussing the aftermath of said dungeon. The previous pacing problems looked minor compared to this mess, so I was rather appalled by how badly this was written. But as it turns out, it was just Yu having a delusion thanks to Shadow Mitsuo manipulating his mind.

See, I totally didn't see that coming at all. Not only did the anime add new content to the story, it added character development and character depth to the MC, something which I didn't see so far in the game version of the MC (probably because I missed out on the True Ending), who's (understandably) a tabula rasa RPG character there. It also reconstructed (as opposed to deconstructing) the whole theme of 'friendship' I was mildly peeved about in the story by adding something more meaningful to the simple idea of friendship. I mean,

Spoiler

of course the others might have to go along their merry ways with their lives, entering college entrance exams and helping out with their family's business. That's to be expected in real life. That being said, I like how they handled this. It's idealistic, and some might even call it predictable (of course they're going to stay as friends forever instead of going their separate ways), but I like that it added a dash of optimism while maintaining the MC's concern of being able to stick together as friends forever without being separated by real life issues (like college exams and whatnot).

So yes, the anime has renewed my interest in Persona 4, and I would definitely want to see this through the end. :holo:

Seriously, just watch episode 12 if you wanna skip all the other episodes. It's pretty well-written. I think this episode encompassed Persona 4's realism the best in the series so far in its 12 episodes, being almost as good as the slice of life elements of K-On season 2.