What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Okay, so I was planning on watching the 2nd season of Psycho-Pass, but I'm not so sure about it now. From the first 7 minutes of the opening episode, I got a slight cringe feeling that this was not gonna be the same experience I loved in season 1. I was still willing to give it the benefit of the doubt despite its lower score on MAL, but after seeing this and finding out that Urobuchi was not actually involved in the story, I pretty much lost all interest.

That aside, I seriously enjoyed the 1st season of Psycho-Pass. It's not very often that something with a unique premise is complimented with a story that explores the depth of it. Initially, you'd think that something like the Sibyl System couldn't possibly be morally acceptable, but there are some interesting philosophies that could possibly lead you to believe otherwise. I've never actually seen this idea explored in any kind of story before, so it was both fresh and thought-provoking to me. The characterization in this anime is every bit as brilliant as I'd expect from Urobuchi, and Tsunemori's development was especially well done. It's a crying shame he wasn't all that involved in the sequel.

Wrapped up Acchi Kocchi. Plenty cute, but lack of stuff happening was indeed kind of frustrating.

Watched the first few episodes of Food Wars, my new "watching while cooking" show, since I decided to take a Jojo break before picking up Stardust Crusaders. I enjoy the premise a fair bit, and the characters are all right, though the level of fanservice for a food show is oddly high. Oh well.

And I just watched the first episode of Fate/Zero. Holy crap am I excited for the rest of this.

So i just finished watching the first season? of Tamayura [the 4 ova episodes] and i really loved it. All those moments between Fuu and her friends and family, in their quiet sleepy town were so endearing. It also caused me to recall memories of my childhood. I grew up at a time where kids played outside, we'll go on adventures at the park and run around laughing and messing around. It's always a nice feeling, watching an anime and finding connections with those sweet moments. I was smiling through so many of those moments in Tamayura.

They handled her memories of her dad and her mission to 'find' him in a hopeful and warm way, rather than a somber one. I really liked that. Also i found her whole passion for photography so relatable , how she works so hard  to capture those best moments. Hanging from railings and losing her awareness of her surroundings :wahaha: . I used to be a photographer hence the connection i feel with Fuu and her ways:sachi:.

I'm glad i still have 2 seasons and 4 movies of this slice of life anime. I reckon its going to be a warm and sweet journey :kosame:.

On to the next season!!! or perhaps i'll take a short detour to Zero no Tsukaima :holo:. [Never got around to watching it]

Finished S1 Fate/Zero, will watch S2 some other time

• It's always great to see the past in action, the nearly all-adult cast makes for a more mature atmosphere, and goddamn, the 4th Holy Grail War seriously makes the 5th one look like child's play ._. 
  • Kirei x Kiritsugu set up didn't feel properly done, based on everything you hear from Fate/Stay Night one would think their relationship would be on the level of Naruto's Hashirama x Madara, lots of build up and long term idealogy conflict, but nope instead it was kind of a shoehorned "Yo I never met this guy, but based on what I hear about him he is definitely 100% going to be my destined eternal enemy!@#"
  • The Holy Grail War regulation sucks ass. There should be more higher ups observing things instead of having one dude that's obviously a corrupt pawn, like wtf. Too many mastermind plots going on from that position.
  • After seeing Sakura in Zouken's basement, I just wanted to give her a big ol' hug ;-;... Reading about it in Fate/Stay is nothing compared to seeing it animated.
  • Saber looks great wearing dat black suit 8)

Oh yeah, and Ep 10 is my fav, obviously cuz Rin. Master of stealth mini-Rin :wafuu:

AJzLGyp.gif (162×216)

I also just wrapped up S1 of Fate/Zero, but in my dedication, I'm now probably about halfway through S2. Will probably finish the rest between tonight and tomorrow.

Can confirm that Rin's episode was great, and that Saber's black suit was the best thing so far. But the next episode should show an even more awesome Saber moment...

Spoiler

Saber motorcycle chase, squee!

I'm surprised at how much I love Rider. In the first episode or two, I dismissed him as a boring musclehead, but he kept growing and growing on me with every episode. In the Grail Dialog episode, he turned into best guy for Fate/Zero, or probably even for the whole Fate series. I know he's going to lose at some point here, because just like in Halo Reach, before the beginning you already know the end, but I have a feeling it's going to be a really Big Deal for me when he does.

S2 definitely has more and better moments for both Kirei and Kitsurugu. They both kinda took backstage in S1, but they get their time to shine here. I just finished the Kiritsugu backstory episodes, which were interesting but heavy. I loved the mentor relationship, and I feel a lot more for Kiritsugu now than I did before. I would love to see more Kirei backstory, but from what I recall of F/SN, I'm not sure he has much more... I guess I'll find out.

After wondering if the anime version of euphoria came with its own OP theme, I gave it a look. Big mistake. Not only does it lack the memorable "Door to Heaven" theme song from the VN, its animation quality is somehow far worse than the static VN. The ED theme was some generic rock instrumental that you would hear from any typical hentai end credits. A waste of my 25 minutes. 5/10

4 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Finished Fate/Zero. Man I really want to go play Fate/Stay Night again now. I might settle for watching the Studio Deen adaptation of Fate and then the UBW adaptation, but I just feel like there's a lot more to pick up now that I know the back-story.

Ya I'm watching S2 now too, the temptation is too stronk. I'll probably finish by tomorrow

Ep 16-19: Kiritsugu is fking RUTHLESS, goddamn >.> 

Really enjoyed finally getting to see him in action along with his upbringing.

3 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Studio Deen

This is my only response.

I really love Fate/Zero.  It's one of my favorite anime of all time, and it's not just because Saber's in it (and wearing a suit!  :sacchan:)  It's plot-focused, with pretty much no fanservice of any kind, except for cute little girl versions of Rin and Sakura, and Saber wearing a suit.  Really nice animation, great fight scenes...it's just amazing.  I'm there are some that are better, but I still love it.

I think I marathoned all of it in about two or three days  :sachi:

Finished Fate/Zero

It really makes you appreciate the Fate/Stay Night series that much more... everyone's backstories was so wonderful to see, even if it was just all just a big ol' pile of depressing, unfortunate crap >.>

Misc. Comments (spoilers)

Spoiler
  • They should make a VN Fate/Zero with Kiritsugu as protagonist, just so that we would have to make all of the choices he did :makina:. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on Natalia, fk that, I would've just pulled a Heaven's Feel Shirou's Sakura > all, let the ghouls run wild!@#
  • I seriously raged at the "Rider"-kidnaps-Iri-and-kills-Maiya scene... that was a legit character-deal-breaker moment >.>.. but thankfully it was Berserker! Huzzah!@#
  • Speaking of Maiya, should've at least let her go out taking on Kotomine or something instead of being collateral damage Berserker fodder ._.
  • Rider's probably the best Servant out of the 4th Holy Grail War bunch. The dude really betrayed initial impressions masterfully. And goddamn, I thought Gilgamesh would Gate of Babylon the entire army Final Fantasy Cactuar 1000 Needles style, but nope, Ea OHKO. Broken as fuh.
  • In the end, Kiritsugu x Kotomine relationship didn't live up to my expectations, for all the backstories they got right this was the only one I feel they didn't set up properly, but that was a pretty epic 1v1. 
  • Kind of disliked how Saber's ideals were abused by everyone and painted as "wrong", she spent waaay to much time doubting herself and being left-handed handicapped instead of rekking people >:c
  • Did I mention that I really, really like the single long side eyelash design of the Einzberns? :illya: 
  • Speaking of eyes, I also liked how the animation took care to give 'broken' people washed out eyes. It's one of those misc. details thing that's always nice to have
  • It's kind of tragic how Rin was completely oblivious to how her parents got ganked in the most unfortunate way possible. But she still managed to grow up into a splendid gal :wub:
  • I'm extremely fond of Sakura. Dunno why- we only see her for like 20 seconds max, but for some reason I like her story out of all characters the best. Just a cute lil' younger sister getting separated from her family, forced to live with and be violated by worms and a douchey superior-inferior bro, only finding salvation in watching this one kid persistently try to jump a bar and eventually raiding his home to cook breakfast and dinner on a daily basis happy-family-style. A very one dimensional and Cinderella-esque story, nothing special, I guess I'm just a total sap :sachi: 
  • Kariya wins the "Best Loser" award. The guy meant well but he just made everything worse each time he popped up ._. Liked his last second fantasy though. Better luck next time :makina: 
    3bEgsQO.jpg (624×340)

• And now that I think about it, Shirou's the most sheltered prick ever, the guy had the easy life compared to everybody else :sleep: but yeah, Fate/Zero really makes you wanna read Fate/Stay again, there's just so much you can pick up on now~

Just watched Skelter Heaven. Oh man, I was quite taken aback with this show's amazing perspective on mankind. Diving into the depths of what drives human beings to commit the many atrocious acts you see from them on a regular basis, it really does give you quite a bit to think about. All the while showcasing what was easily the most heart-wrenching romance story I've ever witnessed. The writers truly know what it is to fall in love, and what it means to stay determined on the battleground for the sake of your loved ones. It really doesn't get much better than this (especially for a 19-minute OVA).

/lol

14 hours ago, Valmore said:

I just finished My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Too.

I have no idea what happened at the end.

My Teen Romantic Comedy both seasons were awesome. Good enough to make me buy the light novels in Japanese to read. What didn't you understand about the ending? Put in spoiler tags of course in case others haven't watched it.

15 hours ago, ittaku said:

My Teen Romantic Comedy both seasons were awesome. Good enough to make me buy the light novels in Japanese to read. What didn't you understand about the ending? Put in spoiler tags of course in case others haven't watched it.

Spoiler

It just ended so abruptly with the three of them standing outside an aquarium, I'm not even sure what they were declaring to each other. It seemed like a cliffhanger and that a third season should have been made after. Like, were both girls in love with the nihilistic guy or what? The redhead seemed to be admitting it but the raven-haired girl seemed kind of nonsensical with whatever she was saying.

1 hour ago, Valmore said:
  Hide contents

It just ended so abruptly with the three of them standing outside an aquarium, I'm not even sure what they were declaring to each other. It seemed like a cliffhanger and that a third season should have been made after. Like, were both girls in love with the nihilistic guy or what? The redhead seemed to be admitting it but the raven-haired girl seemed kind of nonsensical with whatever she was saying.

You're not far off but you need to try to read between the lines since it's a common Japanese trait to never discuss things straight up, especially if someone is unsure. This is nothing but my own interpretation of events and I'm sure others will have read things differently. That's the point of making the ending so ambiguous. There almost certainly will be a third season as the light novels aren't finished yet either and season 2 Zoku ends way before what the light novels are up to.

Spoiler

In essence this day in the aquarium was clearly a three way date with both girls getting their own time alone with Hachiman. There's a mutual understanding there that neither girl has any claim over him. Hachiman himself is almost certainly aware that they may have feelings for him but refuses to allow himself to believe it given his nihilistic view of the world and his past experiences that make him not believe in anyone. Neither girl uses the date as an opportunity to express any feelings towards him despite numerous romantic opportunities - such as seeing the notice about how penguins mate for life. Outside after the date Yuigahama (the redhead) wants to know what will happen from now on as no one has shown any sign of moving forward. Her main concern is expressed openly - that their 3 way relationship will likely be ruined if they find out how each other feels. Instead she wishes to "have it all" - presumably she wants the friendship between them to continue, but to not let either girl declare how they feel to allow either the contest between the girls, or Hachiman himself choosing. She is basically telling Yukinoshita to not ever express how she feels and she almost concedes. It was interesting to see Yui give him cookies and insist they were only for thanks and Yukino being too timid to give him her package. Note that in no way does this imply that both girls definitely wish to date him, just that Yui is asking her not to be open about their feelings - perhaps it's not both and she doesn't have feelings for him and Yukino does or vice versa, or neither... The ending is intentionally left open-ended, not only with how each person feels, but especially with respect to just what Yukinoshita's request is. This will likely lead to Hachiman "saving" her in the future in some way, as she asked of him that one time in the amusement park.

Again this is all conjecture on my part.

Finally got around to starting on Hyouka, and I really like the mystery elements that are thrown into the mix. It's a nice twist on SoL, or at least it is so far. Plus, the art in it is lovely lovely lovely (particularly good at doing eyes), and Chitanda is straight-up adorable :sachi:

Also finally caught another two episodes of Amaama to Inazuma a couple of days back. I've not really watched any other new anime this season yet, but I'm really glad I decided to check AtI out because it's simply beautiful.