What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Adding you to my "Plan to Fight" list.

Its horribly overrated. Go check out it's MAL page. 

I don't know if I should take this as sarcasm or not.  On the MAL page I see nothing but good reviews, ranked #61 in the Top Anime with a score of 8.58 (with One Piece at 8.66 and Monster at 8.73).  I loved Angel Beats and I don't particularly see much wrong with it at all.

I really enjoyed Angel Beats as well, not necessarily one of my tops, but still one of those shows I have fond memories of watching.  AnoHana I found pretty good as well, but I must've been too hyped as I didn't enjoy it quite as much as most people led me to expect.  I might still rewatch eventualy though.

I watched the K-On! movie last night, and finished season 2 the night before.  This show has really surprised me.  I was sceptical of the hype, but I loved it from beginning to end.  The movie was very good as well. :3

Otherwise I've been stalled in pretty much everything else except my weekly shows as I continue to rewatch Hyouka.

I really enjoyed Angel Beats as well, not necessarily one of my tops, but still one of those shows I have fond memories of watching.  AnoHana I found pretty good as well, but I must've been too hyped as I didn't enjoy it quite as much as most people led me to expect.  I might still rewatch eventualy though.

I watched the K-On! movie last night, and finished season 2 the night before.  This show has really surprised me.  I was sceptical of the hype, but I loved it from beginning to end.  The movie was very good as well. :3

Otherwise I've been stalled in pretty much everything else except my weekly shows as I continue to rewatch Hyouka.

Glad there's someone that appreciates the artistic value of K-on. That last episode of season 2 and the final moments of the movie made me tear, it was such a heartwarming show that i was sad it was over.

I for some reason can not enjoy Hyouka, none of the characters were likeable and i felt bored for most part of it except in a few episodes.

Currently watching Btooom! and i'm on episode 8, i didn't jump to AnoHana because i don't want 2 depressing Anime in a row. Regarding Btooom! it's pretty good though the theme is kind of over used with the whole battle royale / killing game thing but then again it still executes it pretty well, at least as far as concept since you can only kill other people using bombs, I hope they wrap it up explaining everything and not leave a cliffhanger but i know that won't happen..

Glad there's someone that appreciates the artistic value of K-on. That last episode of season 2 and the final moments of the movie made me tear, it was such a heartwarming show that i was sad it was over.

I for some reason can not enjoy Hyouka, none of the characters were likeable and i felt bored for most part of it except in a few episodes.

Currently watching Btooom! and i'm on episode 8, i didn't jump to AnoHana because i don't want 2 depressing Anime in a row. Regarding Btooom! it's pretty good though the theme is kind of over used with the whole battle royale / killing game thing but then again it still executes it pretty well, at least as far as concept since you can only kill other people using bombs, I hope they wrap it up explaining everything and not leave a cliffhanger but i know that won't happen..

I remember not getting into Hyouka that much the first time I watched, though I still enjoyed it, but it seems I'm enjoying it much more this time.  Seeing the animation in HD this time around certainly helps, and the whole mystery/detective aspect is really fitting with what I'm reading in Umineko no Naku Koro Ni recently.(On a much less demented scale I guess.)  I don't remember much about the second half of the series though, so we'll see if I end up getting bored after all.

I think I also feel that way about K-On.  There wasn't a single character I disliked, the music was better than I expected, and it was overall very endearing. 

I found the song for Azunyan particularly touching.

It made me smile more than tear though, I was beaming most of the time while watching this.

I started Btooom! when it first aired, but I failed to keep up with it at the time.  I might have to pick it up again eventualy, I was pretty hyped about it back then.

The last Yamato 2199 blu-ray is out.

That was a splendid conclusion. Truly a great anime.

I wish this kind of science-fiction anime would become more popular again. I'll be watching more Leijiverse stuff now.

Can.. can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that this is your 666th post? I don't know  i need to go to sleep now.

Can.. can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that this is your 666th post? I don't know  i need to go to sleep now.

I went to bed without even realizing it... 

Well, no black metal for my 2nd 666th post it seems. 

Instead, let's celebrate Yamato with that great opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnpEU8DPzZ4

Adding you to my "Plan to Fight" list.

Its horribly overrated. Go check out it's MAL page. 

I don't know if I should take this as sarcasm or not.  On the MAL page I see nothing but good reviews, ranked #61 in the Top Anime with a score of 8.58 (with One Piece at 8.66 and Monster at 8.73).  I loved Angel Beats and I don't particularly see much wrong with it at all.

There are a few (very few) negative reviews about Angel Beats though so its not ALL good reviews. I try not to freak out too much (not implying that you were freaking out, just felt like stating this) when people bash a show I really love, particularly this case involving solidbatman. I know for a fact that there is a decent number of anime that we both enjoy as common ground so I just chalk up his dislike of it to preference.

Some people just can't like a show when its flaws are obvious, "big" and glaringly so I might add. I just overlook them completely when I enjoyed just about everything else Angel Beats offered me. Yes, Angel Beats had a lot of characters and very little development for many of them. Yes, a lot of them are pretty one dimensional. I couldn't care less because I enjoyed other aspects of the show so much. People claim that the story is inconsistent and while I'm inclined to disagree, that's their interpretation of it.

When it comes to Angel Beats, I really dislike how much hype it gets and how everyone is told that it is a must watch. It's great as a cookie cutter show. It has no depth, and is fairly predictable. The final episode is handled quite well, but is somewhat forced and doesn't feel organic because the rest of the show was in a different tone. The changes in tone and story were just too abrupt. 

So I guess my problem is the fact people say it's a must see, while I thought it to be a waste of my time. 

When it comes to Angel Beats, I really dislike how much hype it gets and how everyone is told that it is a must watch. It's great as a cookie cutter show. It has no depth, and is fairly predictable. The final episode is handled quite well, but is somewhat forced and doesn't feel organic because the rest of the show was in a different tone. The changes in tone and story were just too abrupt. 

So I guess my problem is the fact people say it's a must see, while I thought it to be a waste of my time. 

While i'm not sure I would say that Angel Beats! is a must-watch I did thoroughly enjoy it.

It has faults, yes, including the lack of screen-time for a number of characters and the complete change in tone for the end of the series, though I didn't feel like either of those things impacted the show negatively as much as they highlighted what could have been done with more episodes.

Angel Beats! had surprising depth for what was predominantly a comedy.

A group of hard-done-by kids trying their best to forget what they missed out on in life doesn't hit me as particularly shallow. However, I can see how it may seem that way because there just wasn't enough time to explore many of their stories and because of the comedic aspects. While abrupt, the change that comes at the end of the series is appropriate rather than jarring as the characters learn what's really going on and start to value the time they've spent with the others for what it was. The speed at which many of the students were "sent off" was a little disconcerting but can again be attributed to the amount of time the writers had to tell their story. Though I know the "it would have been better if it was longer" argument doesn't have a lot of weight I don't think it's quite right to dismiss Angel Beats as shallow. You don't go into a comedy series looking for a deep and meaningful story but Angel Beats! has one hiding amidst the jokes that manages to get its time in the spotlight in the last few episodes.

Angel pisses me off in that last episode though..."Sweet, i've managed to say thank you and can move on now. Smell ya later Otonashi!"

In any case, I really can't wait for the Angel Beats! Visual Novel ^_^

Angel Beats! had surprising depth for what was predominantly a comedy.

Does it really? Do you think AB had a message to carry, or thought-provoking themes? Values to hold? 

Or wasn't it just a mix of comedy and tear-inducing character drama/love stories?

In the end, because of its flaws, Angel Beats seems just like another enjoyable yet forgettable anime to me. Which is why I'm looking forward to the VN, because this one might just correct what's wrong and do something really good. The setting of Angel Beats does appeal to me way more than usual Key stuff. 

Does it really? Do you think AB had a message to carry, or thought-provoking themes? Values to hold? 

Or wasn't it just a mix of comedy and tear-inducing character drama/love stories?

In the end, because of its flaws, Angel Beats seems just like another enjoyable yet forgettable anime to me. Which is why I'm looking forward to the VN, because this one might just correct what's wrong and do something really good. The setting of Angel Beats does appeal to me way more than usual Key stuff. 

I think it had the beginnings of all of those things, though they weren't a focus of the series and were unable to be developed due to time constraints. Certainly not enough to call it a literary masterpiece but they're there all the same.

We'll see whether the writers actually had anything like that in mind when the visual novel is released, I guess. It should give them all the time they need to explore anything they were unable to in the anime.

Mainly because it's not on your MAL, I have to recommend Naoki Urasawa's Monster.  Not a huge amount of people have seen it, and it is something you just don't want to miss out on.

Monster is absolutely fucking brilliant. I rewatched it kinda recently. It is one of those animes that no matter how many times you come back to it you will still discover new things. I can only speak praise of Monster, and Johan is a completely fascinating character.