What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

8 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

I mean, it's pretty obvious it's a yaoi series, so you'd expect the comedy to have yaoi elements :P

I personally found Love Stage funny, even if it's completely different than what I usually enjoy. I feel like it could be a good entry point into yaoi, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes I know it was. The only reason I even touched it was because the protagonist was hot. Especially in the wedding dress

13 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

I mean, it's pretty obvious it's a yaoi series, so you'd expect the comedy to have yaoi elements :P

I personally found Love Stage funny, even if it's completely different than what I usually enjoy. I feel like it could be a good entry point into yaoi, but maybe I'm wrong.

Agreed, it's the only one I watched, only one I planned on watching, but can say I really enjoyed it. It's funny, but a well crafted plot line (from what I remember) with a lot of good moments. Went in as a joke because of the trap MC, came out without regrets.

Man this thread was hit by the rollback hard lol.

So I asked a couple people to recommend me what they think is the worst anime, and someone said Big Order (the TV series), so that's what I'm watching.

Holy crap this is bad. From the creators of Mirai Nikki comes Mirai Nikki v 2.0 with a protagonist that looks like Yukki and a heroine that looks like Yuno, because fuck originality.
Not only that, but the protagonist is also a whimpy piece of shit and the heroine is also a yandere. Gee, talk about coming up with ideas.

But the fact the character designs are basically copy pasted from Mirai Nikki isn't even the tip of the iceberg, because this show makes Mirai Nikki look like a masterpiece in retrospective.

The protagonist has the most OP ability I've ever seen in the anime, and yet he refuses to use it because "lulz that'd be bad", even though he already destroyed everything before. Good going.
The voice acting is sub par for every character I've seen, the presentation is an absolute mess and doesn't really explain anything that's going on. it just goes "hey look random things are happening".

And this is only from episode 1... Boy I'm in for a ride.

Finished season 1 of Zero no Tsukaima. I am still annoyed that they took the best character they had and turned her into a cackling evil villain, and more generally I'm annoyed that there was literally no motivation given for any of the villains. However, the ending was cute and the protagonists are all sweethearts, so I'm still pretty content with the show. I'll probably continue watching the series, though I might take a detour for something else on the way.

Also watched the last episode of Sakamoto Desu Ga, which was of course the coolest. I'm sad I don't get to see any more, but I think it was just about the right length, and I liked the way they kept things mysterious right up through the end. The show walked a thin line with Sakamoto's character, and IMO it succeeded masterfully.

2 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Finished season 1 of Zero no Tsukaima. I am still annoyed that they took the best character they had and turned her into a cackling evil villain, and more generally I'm annoyed that there was literally no motivation given for any of the villains. However, the ending was cute and the protagonists are all sweethearts, so I'm still pretty content with the show. I'll probably continue watching the series, though I might take a detour for something else on the way.

Also watched the last episode of Sakamoto Desu Ga, which was of course the coolest. I'm sad I don't get to see any more, but I think it was just about the right length, and I liked the way they kept things mysterious right up through the end. The show walked a thin line with Sakamoto's character, and IMO it succeeded masterfully.

Could you possibly detail your issues in better detail? Detailedly.

You don't need to. I'm mostly asking because I don't remember what you're referring to and I'd love to relate (or just the contrary).

14 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Your sure? People have said that you need like a deep understanding of Japanese culture for it.

Whoever says that has not paid attention to the series, clearly.

The reason why it may come across as confusing at first is because of Shaft's particular animation style alongside NisiOisiN's somewhat crazy dialogues. But you do not need to have a deep understanding of Japanese culture to enjoy the series. I actually own the first novel, Kizumonogatari, in English and it's perfectly readable by anyone with half a brain.

It starts making more sense later on because things actually get explained. The first arc is kind of confusing because you're just thrown into the action with no proper background. The thing is, the arcs in the monogatari series are not in chronological order, that's why I'm saying things make more sense later on because you'll have arcs that happened before Bakemonogatari.

The humor might miss the mark sometimes because some of it is based around kanji puns, but for the most part, the subs did a decent job of carrying the comedy. And the official light novel translation by Vertical Inc is one of the best translations of a light novel I've ever seen as well. Of course there's always a dash of mystery in it the whole time, but that's also why it's fun imo. I really do think the monogatari series is super fun if you can get into its quirky dialogues and character interactions.

But if after a while you're not having fun, then I guess it's just not for you.

1 minute ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Could you possibly detail your issues in better detail? Detailedly.

You don't need to. I'm mostly asking because I don't remember what you're referring to and I'd love to relate (or just the contrary).

Spoiler

The first season's villains are:

• Cromwell, the leader, who's a typical cackling evil mastermind with zero personality, with the added bonus of being basically powerless on his own.
  • Wardes, the griffin knight (who, like all griffin knights, rides a dragon, naturally) who apparently used to be a decent guy and crazy about Louise, who started helping Cromwell with his plan for evil world domination because... well, nobody says why.
  • Foquet (initially best girl) was the secretary at the school and subject of Old Osman's constant sexual harassment. She generally gave as good as she got, though. She did a 180 from pretty reasonable capable secretary personality to cackling evil villain in a single episode (the one with the "Staff of Destruction"). She actually had some motivation given: a line about how she's a peasant now, despite being able to use magic, and how there are other reasons why you can get made a peasant. I wouldn't have minded some victim-of-society-turns-to-evil background for her, but after she turned villain, literally every appearance was just her cackling evilly and trying to kill people. Didn't fit the motivation, and the motivation wasn't expanded on.

Anyway, the show is fun, and I find the premise that the two worlds are actually rather frequently connected to be pretty unique; the writer puts it to good use to make interesting things happen. But nonetheless, the villains in season one were the worst. The voice acting by Tsunderie is also cute as shit.

I felt like Zero no Tsukaima got better as it went on, but I do know the series does not adapt the novels so it might be atrocious to say that.

Nonetheless, I found the anime satisfying, especially the ending, although I got kind of annoyed at the harem bullshittery going on. Granted I watched it like back in 2012, so it might just be nostalgia speaking.

3 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Keep watching, it'll make sense eventually.

Hmm, maybe I should keep watching it too. I dropped Bakemonogatari after 7 episodes because it was a pain to sit through, in one of the episodes 80% of the time is spent on meaningless banter between the MC and Senjougahara at the park. The stories themselves weren't really confusing per se, but I didn't understand things well either, so I didn't feel like there was much significance behind them. Is there supposed to be some overarching theme or idea? Or is it just random stories? (I mean, that's kind what the title implies xD)

5 minutes ago, Barktooth said:

Hmm, maybe I should keep watching it too. I dropped Bakemonogatari after 7 episodes because it was a pain to sit through, in one of the episodes 80% of the time is spent on meaningless banter between the MC and Senjougahara at the park. The stories themselves weren't really confusing per se, but I didn't understand things well either, so I didn't feel like there was much significance behind them. Is there supposed to be some overarching theme or idea? Or is it just random stories? (I mean, that's kind what the title implies xD)

Oh there's an overarching plot, it's just that the majority of the interaction is done through dialogues like that, this is not an action heavy series.

It's safe to say it's not a series everyone will enjoy, but it's my favorite series of all time so I like recommending it.

1 minute ago, Nosebleed said:

Oh there's an overarching plot, it's just that the majority of the interaction is done through dialogues like that, this is not an action heavy series.

Well, I don't mind the dialogues too much most of the time, but sometimes they drag on for way too long. If there's an overarching plot and it's not just a collection of stories, it might be worth watching again someday, thanks.

3 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Do you want to know about the true story of sakamoto? 

Finished watching Kakumeiki Valvrave. Could be worth watching for Sunrise's excellent combat animation alone, and it can be fun if you enjoy outrageously bad character and plot development. There were a few plot points that made me go "lol ok", and a few hypey feelsy scenes too (the soundtrack is actually pretty good). For the most part though, it was pretty mediocre. The melodrama made me want to punch the director in the face. I won't say I'm disappointed with it, but I'm not that impressed either. I'll be watching Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans, after I finish a couple other shows. The first few episodes I watched were pretty solid; hopefully it won't disappoint as much as Valvrave did.

My on-hold list is down to 23 anime now. I'm getting there!

With this season comes something I haven't done in a long time: watching stuff as it airs.

Watching Rewrite, Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 3rei, Shokugeki no Souma:Ni no Sara, and Love Live Sunshine.

Finished Joukamachi no Dandelion and loved it. Finished Kiznaiver and absolutely loved it. Finished Yuuki Yuuna and enjoyed the journey to the ending if not the ending itself.

On 06/07/2016 at 6:55 PM, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

The first episode of Amaama to Inazuma was absolutely fantastic. If you just want to see something so cute it quite literally hurts, yeah...

May contain feels though.

This sounds promising. Will ensure I check that.

Just watched the first episode of Bananya. I'm pretty sure it's aimed at... 3 year olds, but it was just really nice to watch for 3 minutes. Sweet, kinda amusing, and I think as the series goes on it has the potential to be seriously funny.

1 minute ago, AaronIsCrunchy said:

Just watched the first episode of Bananya. I'm pretty sure it's aimed at... 3 year olds, but it was just really nice to watch for 3 minutes. Sweet, kinda amusing, and I think as the series goes on it has the potential to be seriously funny.

The narration was just priceless, wasn't it?

8 minutes ago, AaronIsCrunchy said:

This sounds promising. Will ensure I check that.

Excuse me? You mean to tell me Bananya isn't the next anime masterpiece, rivaling the likes of Neon Genesis Evangelion and Spirited Away?

This show is literally the reason anime should still exist!

Cmh7gGCWIAAuX_5.jpg

Cmh7iecXEAA6PMe.jpg

Cmh7jFnWEAMC7vB.jpg

Cmh7jx6WcAA7d_1.jpg