What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

1 hour ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

I finished Nagi no Asukara/A Lull in the Sea.

It was pretty good, probably had a bit too much melodrama at times but I liked the character development and a bunch of the themes.

NagiAsu is a little divisive, but I'm a big fan. Glad you enjoyed it.

I recently wrapped up KonoSuba, which remained great all the way through, and then I resumed JoJo (I'm somewhere around episode 15 now?). I like how the show keeps changing things up, while still keeping the same heart and insanity. Also, the ridiculous naming choices keep cracking me up.

I started Working!! and got to episode 3. Realizing that it seems to be just straight up SOL I probably won't be marathoning it. Not to say I don't like it, I just rather marathon Nodame Cantabile instead. 

Speaking of Nodame Cantible, I started it tonight and got to episode 4. Lost track of time while I was watching it. I have high hopes for this series~

Finally, FINALLY:conspiracy: finished the CardCaptor Sakura series, and yes the two movies as well. I'm glad that I watched this show, it was such a magical and heartfelt experience.

I'm happy, but it's also sad to let go of this show which i've been watching for so long. I'm gonna miss Sakura so much.:kosame:

3 hours ago, Leaf said:

Finally, FINALLY:conspiracy: finished the CardCaptor Sakura series, and yes the two movies as well. I'm glad that I watched this show, it was such a magical and heartfelt experience.

I'm happy, but it's also sad to let go of this show which i've been watching for so long. I'm gonna miss Sakura so much.:kosame:

There's a cardcaptor reboot planned (?) next year so you can revisit Sakura's romantic comedy disguised as a magical girl series all over again.

Almost finished watching Gintama°. Fantastic series as I expected it to be, while at the same time surprising me in a few ways. I never once thought an anime would have me crying for a vending machine. And now I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever have the opportunity to experience everything I can in entertainment, lol. The Shogun Assassination arc was amazing too. Like, seriously, I never would have come to expect myself having any more respect for Gintoki than I had already, but it was an intense experience getting to know more about his past. And for him to turn out to be such an amazing character, it would make sense that his teacher would have been great too, but it was beyond the extent that I had imagined. Now I understand a little more about how his students felt so passionately about him, and why Takasugi hates the world so much.

4 hours ago, LiquidShu said:

Speaking of Nodame Cantible, I started it tonight and got to episode 4. Lost track of time while I was watching it. I have high hopes for this series~

Woo, another person on board the Nodame train. :sachi: You're in for a treat, really. I've never even been remotely interested in classic music, but the music in this series captured my heart. The characters are great, too. Very realistic, yet interesting enough to get you emotionally invested in them.

Gyabo!

Finished Mayoiga, Shomin Sample, and Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry.

I didn't get what I expected in Mayoiga but I liked what I got instead. I expected to enjoy Shomin Sample a lot more than I actually did, but still a fun show. I didn't like the main heroine in Rakudai all that much so the show was pretty meh.

Started Joukamachi no Dandelion and I absolutely love it. I really can't go wrong with watching a show where Hanazawa Kana voices the main heroine.

Well there's nothing like being on many hours of boring flights with a laptop full of anime to catch up, so I marathoned my way through Chihayafuru S1 and S2 (yes Australia to Europe really does take that long.)

All in all this is a very good sport anime (and I really mean that since it could have been baseball, tennis, ping pong, cycling or anything else the way it was handled.) I liked the character evolution, the execution and the introduction to a game I knew nothing about and probably never would have.

One of my complaints with it is the over the top melodramatic music was sometimes out of keeping with how dramatic the actual events were. It was all music with a limited selection which is not unusual but occasionally  managed to detract from the story telling since it was so over-the-top. The other thing was, even though I preferred the characters in season 2, there was far too much in the way of flashbacks filling out the story by that stage - and by flashbacks I don't mean past backstory but scenes we'd already watched over and over already. It was kind of tiring. The story itself seemed to be heading in a mostly predictable direction though rarely through obvious plot devices. The romance was indeed very much secondary to the story and with no sign of it being resolved any time soon; fortunately since it was only minor in the story it didn't hurt to not be resolved so much (unlike shows where romance is the primary endpoint.) No doubt romance will become a big part of any future season(s). Towards the end of season 2 they started to overuse my most hated plot device though - the conveniently interrupted important comment from someone who never gets to finish what they want to say and lose the opportunity or courage...

The fact that the episodes are numbered as poem verses suggests to me they plan 100 episodes in total, one for each of the card poems which would mean 4 seasons. I'll definitely watch a S3 and S4 if they ever come out.

A most appreciated recommendation, 8/10

Finished watching Aria the Animation. For a iyashikei (healing anime), it does well at what it sets out to do. Interesting world, relaxing atmosphere, nothing even remotely over the top, and "healing" segments that will melt your heart away. Now as much as I thought the anime excelled at the areas I mentioned, I just couldn't really get into it. I suppose iyashikei just isn't my cup of tea, as I didn't really like Mushishi either. I don't know, just something about the general slowness of the events kinda make it a chore for me to sit through the whole episode. I'll enjoy these kinds of shows for about 5 episodes, but I lose interest after that. If you have a high tolerance for slow anime, then I'd definitely recommend giving this a shot. I understand it's suppose to get better after this, but I don't plan on watching Natural or Origination. After talking it over with my friend, we both came to the conclusion that they wouldn't do much for me either.

Still, for Animation to be good enough for me to actually not drop it does say a lot about its quality.

Damn, I'm down to 27 anime on my on hold list. I plan on knocking out the last 3 episodes I have left for Majestic Prince and then moving on to Heavy Object. I'm getting there!

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

Finished watching Special A. It was okay but never really tickled my fancy very much. Not a popular enough show to write a lot more about it.

I hear most people compare Special A and Kaichou wa Maid-sama, though I think generally people like the latter more. I haven't seen Special A, but I did like Kaichou wa Maid-sama

2 hours ago, Ceris said:

I hear most people compare Special A and Kaichou wa Maid-sama, though I think generally people like the latter more. I haven't seen Special A, but I did like Kaichou wa Maid-sama

They're extremely similar in style, scope, comedy type, and even the lead characters. If you liked one you'll like the other. I watched both and would say SA is a little better, but I gave them both 6/10.

Well, Majestic Prince was decent-ish. Plot's kinda standard and uninteresting and the characters were pretty much the same. Kinda disappointing considering how it had the same writer and staff as GetBackers. The mecha fights were really good though, so at least it held up on that end. Probably not worth watching unless you're hardcore into mecha.

Kinda decided to drop Heavy Object at episode 10. Gotta hand it to Kamachi for once again coming up with a unique premise to set his world in, but I'm just really not enjoying the anime that much. Could be a problem on the adaption's end, not really sure. The action segments are pretty exciting and interesting, though I can't say I like the characters or the story that much. Because of my general lack of interest, it was a chore to stay focused on the lengthy dialogue.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa is basically everything I love and hate about harems. Affable cast, hilarious shenanigans, misunderstandings abound, and enough blush faces to last you a lifetime. But, as with literally every harem I've watched besides Shuffle, the romance goes unresolved. What's even worse is that Shiragami and Kuromine actually could have made my top 20 pairings list. But in spite of all the indications that the pairing was gonna pull through, it didn't. It maintained its charade until the last moments of the final episode, and it ends with a massive slap in the face for anyone hoping to see a resolution. Gripes aside, there were some overly cute moments between the the MC and Shiragami, and I did end up laughing at the general absurdity of its exaggerated comedy. Wasn't a complete letdown.

5 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Jitsu wa Watashi wa is basically everything I love and hate about harems. Affable cast, hilarious shenanigans, misunderstandings abound, and enough blush faces to last you a lifetime. But, as with literally every harem I've watched besides Shuffle, the romance goes unresolved. What's even worse is that Shiragami and Kuromine actually could have made my top 20 pairings list. But in spite of all the indications that the pairing was gonna pull through, it didn't. It maintained its charade until the last moments of the final episode, and it ends with a massive slap in the face for anyone hoping to see a resolution. Gripes aside, there were some overly cute moments between the the MC and Shiragami, and I did end up laughing at the general absurdity of its exaggerated comedy. Wasn't a complete letdown.

I really enjoyed jitsu wa as well and was disappointed by lack of resolution too. The reality is I did thoroughly enjoy it anyway. No doubt they're banking on getting funding for another season. Still, all it takes is to watch something like rakudai kishi or ore monogatari which goes "fuck that shit" and resolves the romance early on instead and runs with it to see that this approach of not resolving romance should have died as a mechanism a decade ago in anime.

2 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

And yet it hasn't, and probably never will

I suppose it's just a matter of target audience

Absolutely. Should and will are completely different. The forces at work that determine how much funding a series gets towards being animated have far less to do with the original story and far more to do with how saleable the product is in the short term. The two examples I gave, the romance is resolved early on in the manga so it made sense to do so. Stories that end with resolution of romance it makes sense to hold off till the last episode or two. It's the rest that are frustrating - shows that are animated before the original source material has ended (LN, manga etc.) and they cannot resolve the romance since it "spoils" the original material, or shows that only get funding for a short stretch of the original material and thus never get to the romantic resolution part. It's something I've struggled with in anime for decades now and one of my biggest peeves... After a frustrating ending without resolution I usually fire up a VN with a solid H scene to wash away my frustration.

11 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Absolutely. Should and will are completely different. The forces at work that determine how much funding a series gets towards being animated have far less to do with the original story and far more to do with how saleable the product is in the short term. The two examples I gave, the romance is resolved early on in the manga so it made sense to do so. Stories that end with resolution of romance it makes sense to hold off till the last episode or two. It's the rest that are frustrating - shows that are animated before the original source material has ended (LN, manga etc.) and they cannot resolve the romance since it "spoils" the original material, or shows that only get funding for a short stretch of the original material and thus never get to the romantic resolution part. It's something I've struggled with in anime for decades now and one of my biggest peeves... After a frustrating ending without resolution I usually fire up a VN with a solid H scene to wash away my frustration.

Isn't the idea behind it also that teenage boys don't want resolved romance (cuz it's GAYYYYYYYYYYYYY hehehe) and enjoy when the show makes fun of it? Just speculating.

Just now, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Isn't the idea behind it also that teenage boys don't want resolved romance (cuz it's GAYYYYYYYYYYYYY) and enjoy when it's being made fun of? Just speculating.

Nope, I'd say not. I believe it's more about possible further season funding.

Finished Kuragehime. See my quote below from my romcom challenge thread.

20 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Finished watching kuragehime. it was a fun show even if romance was only hinted at. It was very light-hearted and easy to enjoy. A lot of the plot evolved in convenient rather than logical ways, and a lot of the characters - mainly the other otakus she lived with - were about as interesting as cardboard and received no development whatsoever. On the other hand, Hanazawa Kana was singularly sensational voicing Tsukimi which was more than enough in itself to make this worth watching. 7/10

Since I have plenty of spare time in the evenings here on holiday, I'm going to start on the absolutely mammoth task of watching all 96 episodes of Maison Ikkoku. I never finished it the first time and I feel like it's something I need to finish since it's a romcom classic that inspired so many other manga, anime and light novels, including my all time favourite, Love Hina. I'll even be rewatching it from episode 1 all over again.

Just watched Gosick. I really enjoyed it. I like how it built up towards the end. I didn't expect it to get as dark as it did. The revelations of what exactly happened to her mother. That interaction she had with her mother through the clock tower window was heartbreaking. They mentioned she wasn't able to speak then, due to being cut off from the world. She just makes this broken sounds trying to communicate with her mother. Man, i wont soon forget that scene. The mystery element was good, but i reckon it would be better to read the novel for that, not easy fitting it all into 20min episodes.

It did have its faults, but nothings ever perfect. One thing that did annoy me throughout the anime was Kujo shouting VICTORICAAAAAAAAA every 5 seconds:saber:. 

On to Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! now.

H2O Footprints In The Sand and Oretsuba, H2O delves deeply into the main 3 characters but be ready for the last 3 episodes, that is a mag-lev level feel train, Oretsuba has a LOT of characters and a very interesting plot that confuses in the first few episodes but reveals everything nicely in the last episode, putting aside the ecchi factor it's a well hidden diamond compared to Shuffle! which the main character basically deviated from the VN, Kaede is supposed to be the default route if you can't lock on to another girl's route and even if Rin picked another girl, Kaede didn't take it that hard in the VN compared to the anime where the yandere switch was flipped

Finished Kill la Kill and One Punch Man, they were both fun over the top action series. OPM needs to get a second season cause it's so half finished and it would be nice to see the other heroes in action! If it delves into the characters more in S2 I would enjoy this series more. Kill la Kill was a great anime to it's fights, humor, and characters. This anime is rare to me that it can put nudity in to the picture without it being an ecchi anime, something I appreciate cuz to much of that in an anime to me is irritating. Mako's randomness was weird at first but by the end of the series I found to love her, she's my absolute fav character.:miyako: If there was one grip I had with the show is that they pretty much ignored Ryoko's father after that one month time skip. Just feel like he should have been elaborated on more, especially by Satsuki of what kind of father he was to her. Still enjoyed the anime all the same.

The other day I was feeling depressed and I decided to take one for the team and enter uncharted territory. I went and watched love stage. Now at first it wasn't that bad and funny. However..... It started to annoy me toward the end when all the gay shit came into play. They started talking about if it "hurt" if you get fucked in the ass or not.

Never again. Will stick with hot lesbian sex.

5 minutes ago, Justin579 said:

The other day I was feeling depressed and I decided to take one for the team and enter uncharted territory. I went and watched love stage. Now at first it wasn't that bad and funny. However..... It started to annoy me toward the end when all the gay shit came into play. They started talking about if it "hurt" if you get fucked in the ass or not.

Never again. Will stick with hot lesbian sex.

I mean, it's pretty obvious it's a yaoi series, so you'd expect the comedy to have yaoi elements :P

I personally found Love Stage funny, even if it's completely different than what I usually enjoy. I feel like it could be a good entry point into yaoi, but maybe I'm wrong.