What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

2 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I actually have the first season on disc but haven't gotten around to it yet. My incoming rate of anime to watch is much higher than my consumption rate, so as dictated by a fundamental theorem of queueing theory, the queue keeps growing and I never actually watch half the stuff in it :(

But I'm more interested now - I didn't know that writer by name, but I loved both NagiAsu and AnoHana, which speaks pretty well for her. But, don't worry; I know not to expect either of those from AKB0048.

I know the feel. Lately I've stopped watching and reading stuff that grab interest and only getting into what some of my friends recommend. I've actually been quite a bit happier doing that. Not only do they have great tastes, but I get the added bonus of being able to hype with them, lol. But right now, I'm still trying to clear my existing backlog, which roughly looks like this.

6 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

This one has been sitting in my backlog for at least six months now, probably a lot longer... I really need to get to it, but I never hear anybody around here talk about it so it always gets put off. No more!

It's a delightful show with lots of interesting characters and is set in an agricultural school where you can tell the writers have done their work and researched well the details of the school and some of the lessons. Another thing that we like is the setting in Hokkaido in places that we've been to and the emphasis on awesome raw products from the region for food which we've experienced.

Just now, ittaku said:

It's a delightful show with lots of interesting characters and is set in an agricultural school where you can tell the writers have done their work and researched well the details of the school and some of the lessons. Another thing that we like is the setting in Hokkaido in places that we've been to and the emphasis on awesome raw products from the region for food which we've experienced.

More than just research, Hiromu Arakawa (author of the manga) was born in a farm in Hokkaido so she really talks from experience.

I finished SAO season 1, in my opinion it's not horrible, although i'm not jumping up to the chance to watch S2 though. It has it's good points granted and has the potential to be a good show, there are just so many things it fails in to make me keep watching. I'll list my grips at a later date!:amane: If anything I gotta say about this show, recommendation wise, is that to not trust the hype this show has and lower you're expectations. Later story and character wise it's not that good. All anime are fruits that are ripe for taking and you're bound to get a few rotten bunches in the mix, it's a risk that all anime lovers will take. I'm not gonna forbid any anime to anyone cuz all is fair and should be tried at least once.

Picked up Chaika the Coffin Princess as next target, and be honest people, i'm not the only one who finds Chaika's speech pattern cute. Right!?:wafuu:

Just binged Mayoiga (the 10 available episodes at least) with my best buddy. The first 3-4 episodes were great but the rest kinda devolved into stuff that wasn't as enjoyable. Got very confusing around the end as well.

(spoilers up to ep10)

Spoiler

how the fuck did the girls (lion, the tomboy, the tsundere) find Reiji?

Started burning through my backlog a bit. Marathoned through all of Gate and started Amagi Brilliant Park and I'm 4 episodes in.

Love Gate though the ending was displeasing due to the nature of events. There was also one plot point that was never expanded on which bothered me...

Particularly the Yanagida and Delilah confrontation (MC's sneaky superior and Warrior Bunny girl that works as a waitress in a bar for those that don't remember names). Yanagida had some pretty deep pent up, potentially racist tendencies when he emptied his clip inside her. And Delilah's sudden attentiveness when Tyuule's (the Warrior Bunny Queen before the Empire's prince took over) name was brought up by Delilah's assassination target. Both SHOULD have been expanded on at ANY length but instead we take a detour to defeat the Fire Dragon and then go straight back into the main conflict instead of building up potential smaller conflicts in the mean time. I don't know I was just really bothered that Tyuule was extremely instrumental in the main conflict, yet Delilah's negative reaction to the Queens name wasn't brought up before hand.

Amagi Brilliant Park is looking good so far. Still don't know who I'd pick as my favorite between Latifa, Isuzu and the Elementario girls.

13 minutes ago, Ceris said:

Because some people can like SAO without having bad taste in anime :sachi: 

Yes, I know, as I'm the epitomy of shit taste, but you'd think it gets boring after the second time around

Well whatever. I have quilty pleasures in anime, and SAO isn't that uncommon of a guilty pleasure

Just finished the two seasons of Chihayafuru. Was really good, but I still prefer Hikaru no Go way more.

I might be biased by the nostalgia, but for being an anime/manga about go and still be interresting and exciting, Hikaru no Go will always be a masterpiece for me.

7 minutes ago, Riku said:

I might be biased by the nostalgia, but for being an anime/manga about go and still be interresting and exciting, Hikaru no Go will always be a masterpiece for me.

No, Hikaru no Go is surprisingly good. Could have easily fallen into the trap of making the main character too powerful, but the mangaka didn't and because of this the series was very enjoyable. 

Note: I read/watched it many years ago and haven't touched it since, so I too could be talking from nostalgia. Huh ...

Chaika the Coffin Princess I finished in just 2 days, I liked it until it got to the ending, it felt really rushed and some things were just left in the dark. If they added 2 or 3 more episodes in S2 it coulda been saved from such disappointment.

I started going back to CardCaptor Sakura again, almost finished with the season 2, Sakura still manages to be charming to me, so pleased with this show!:)

Finished Hitsugi no Chaika and its second season.

Another fantasy/medieval story I liked. This one felt modern, though, unlike Scrapped Princess.
It once again tackled some themes I liked and how happy I was we got the protagonist we did. I can elaborate, but I dislike spoiling things.

Now starting Chihayafuru. Took me a while to warm up to it, but I'm ready now. In that respect, it's kind of like Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. In fact, from the first three episodes alone it seems they may have a few things in common, and include some "feels" in their repertoire. But I don't really know yet. Will have to continue watching.

Finished Shirobako with my wife. A solid watch and recommend it for anyone into anime since it's all about the anime industry and gives you plenty of insight into what it is almost certainly like. It's also extremely bold to have so many characters. It was a touch on the predictable side and some of the moments where seniors give juniors advice is contrived and intuitive without needing to be expressed but not enough to be annoying. It was worthy of an ultimately satisfying ending tag too.

Finished watching Prison School BDs. Totally stupid with excessive fanservice; a degree of stupid that normally would make me cringe yet somehow I enjoyed it and laughed quite a few times. It wasn't great but good for a completely moronic amusing diversion.

Finished Amagi Brilliant Park and Haikyu season 1. Amagi was really nice but I wish

the final episode wasn't just filler. I would have much preferred they spent more time building up to the climax in episode 12 instead of having a filler episode 13.

That aside, I don't know what I expected from Amagi Brilliant Park but I really like what I got anyway.

Haikyu is in a similar situation. My friends keep saying that its hype but while I did get excited at a few parts, it wasn't the excitement I was expecting. The way the matches end up proceeding don't lend itself to hype me up. Maybe it was more hype when it was a weekly watch instead of a binge watch.

Started Haikyu season 2 against my better judgement even though I know there's going to be a third season of Haikyu.

I'm trying to watch AJIN Demi-Human, also known as totally not Tokyo Ghoul, but GOD FUCKING DAMN IT is it pissing me off. Why the fucking hell is everyone on the planet treating Ajin like dangerous animals that need to be contained and experimented on for shits and giggles?!?!? If this took place in any realistic universe the government would pay top dollar to hire them as military superheros and they would be worshiped as celebrities by the public. There is absolutely zero reason for them to be hated, since the only thing that is largely known about them is they are identical to humans.... except they come back to life after they are killed. At least Tokyo Ghoul had the excuse that, you know, they ate people. I can understand why the population would fear and shun them.