What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

2 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

I think SAO 2 is just as terrible and not worth it as the ALO arc because it essentially commits all the same mistakes ALO did but with different characters. And no, Mother's Rosario wasn't worth all the shit.

For once I agree 100% with you. SAO2 was so try hard for a different genre that I could barely even finish it and now I'm not sure why I did.

2 minutes ago, Snaiki said:

I'm rewatching Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai. Man~ That anime sure goes well with some fuwanovel and milk w/cookies, obviously :S

The anime's great, albeit unfinished even with 3 seasons, but the manga on other hand is my favorite manga thus far

It's really great and one of the only harem shows I enjoy

7 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

The anime's great, albeit unfinished even with 3 seasons, but the manga on other hand is my favorite manga thus far

It's really great and one of the only harem shows I enjoy

Yeah, the ending to the anime was really bad, kinda depressing after all the good vibe it had carried

finished up watching shiki, it was good pretty much gave the morally gray/ philosophical vibes that I was looking for. Felt bad for megumi though

Also watched guilty crown, really dont know why people dislike it so much. It is better than most of the harem/romance animes out there right now and at least the MC doesn't let everyone just walk over him and bow to his female overlords. The ost, animation and singing were pretty amazing too. The show also reminded me alot of mirai nikki. Really felt rushed at the end though.

Also just wondering if (vibrant) pink hair= yandere/ crazy??? Alot of the animes and mangas I've been seeing the heroine with pink hair always has some kind of split personality, op ability, or is just crazy

I'm going to be careful to do this whole post without spoilers in case anyone else on earth like me hadn't seen this but anyway I've finally marathoned my way through the whole of Cardcaptor Sakura - the announcement that a new version was being made was the impetus for this. Luckily I was able to put up with the childish side of the whole magic to enjoy it for its characters and overall story, not to mention that ultimately it's a romance which I have the softest spot for. To be honest the reason I started watching it was there was a list of 10 best love confessions on ANN and this show was listed amongst them - though I luckily hadn't spoilt anything for myself by just looking at the titles of the shows rather than the actual characters involved in the confession.  While I enjoyed it overall I found the second half to drag a bit compared to the first half but luckily the romance in the second half, which is a much stronger component than the first half, more than made up for it. I was especially surprised to see the topics it tackled in the storyline and now understand what I'd heard about from the original English release - that they could only use just over half the episodes for the thematic material and did lots of other changes. That really would have sucked as an incarnation since it was the bits outside the action that were the best part of the series. Even the subtitled version missed quite a few nuances thanks to dumbing down name order, honorifics etc. but not enough to detract from the story and execution. I found the following page which lists the differences and has lots of spoilers so I avoided it till now, and it's scary:

http://frozen-wings.net/ccs/main.php?page=information/differences

Anyway I'll be adding it to my ultimately satisfying series list since it meets the criteria there.

Now back to a truckload of other backlog shows I have thanks to the recommendations thread I started.

14 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I'm going to be careful to do this whole post without spoilers in case anyone else on earth like me hadn't seen this but anyway I've finally marathoned my way through the whole of Cardcaptor Sakura - the announcement that a new version was being made was the impetus for this. Luckily I was able to put up with the childish side of the whole magic to enjoy it for its characters and overall story, not to mention that ultimately it's a romance which I have the softest spot for. To be honest the reason I started watching it was there was a list of 10 best love confessions on ANN and this show was listed amongst them - though I luckily hadn't spoilt anything for myself by just looking at the titles of the shows rather than the actual characters involved in the confession.  While I enjoyed it overall I found the second half to drag a bit compared to the first half but luckily the romance in the second half, which is a much stronger component than the first half, more than made up for it. I was especially surprised to see the topics it tackled in the storyline and now understand what I'd heard about from the original English release - that they could only use just over half the episodes for the thematic material and did lots of other changes. That really would have sucked as an incarnation since it was the bits outside the action that were the best part of the series. Even the subtitled version missed quite a few nuances thanks to dumbing down name order, honorifics etc. The following page lists the differences and has lots of spoilers so I avoided it till now:

http://frozen-wings.net/ccs/main.php?page=information/differences

Anyway I'll be adding it to my ultimately satisfying series list since it meets the criteria there.

Now back to a truckload of other backlog shows I have thanks to the recommendations thread I started.

I've been wanting to watch this for a while, but still haven't made time for it. A lot of my friends have had very positive opinions of it. Your comment on the romance has sparked a lot of interest though. Good romance is one of my weaknesses in anime.

The second season of Chihayafuru does not disappoint. The continued hype this show has constantly managed to provide is straight up sugoi. So sugoi in fact that I managed to get two of my friends hooked on it as well, one of them even finished both seasons before me while I was on the first season. Feels good. 

3 hours ago, LiquidShu said:

The second season of Chihayafuru does not disappoint. The continued hype this show has constantly managed to provide is straight up sugoi. So sugoi in fact that I managed to get two of my friends hooked on it as well, one of them even finished both seasons before me while I was on the first season. Feels good. 

Chihayafuru and Nodame Cantabile are the stealthiest top-tier shows I've seen; most series that are as good as those two are are widely-known and celebrated, but those two somehow fly under most peoples' radar (including mine, for the longest time). So now that I know how awesome they are, I find myself recommending them quite often.

3 minutes ago, Down said:

I'm not a huge fan of Nodame Cantabile (it's good tho) but Chihayafuru is hands-down the best supokon anime I've watched and still in my top ~5 anime. I used to proselytize it a lot :P

Haven't watched chihaya yet but I'm looking forward to it after all the glowing reviews, but Nodame didn't work for me either thanks to Nodame herself. The relationship happens on a level I just can't sympathise or empathise with detracting from the main reason I watch shows.

2 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Chihayafuru is probably the only show that can get you excited about staring at paper rectangles on the floor.

But they keep making all these damn card game shows anyway.

Edit: still watching Zero no Tsukaima here and there, still on the first season. It's on an up-swing lately, though, with what looked like a throwaway episode about a love potion turning into the next major plot arc. I loved the throwaway part, though; that was cute as hell. Full-on dere was a nice break from the constant tsun.

3 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Chihayafuru and Nodame Cantabile are the stealthiest top-tier shows I've seen; most series that are as good as those two are are widely-known and celebrated, but those two somehow fly under most peoples' radar (including mine, for the longest time). So now that I know how awesome they are, I find myself recommending them quite often.

I keep recommending Nodame to people. Best musical anime in existence, imo. People keep promoting crap like K-ON for musical anime, but Nodame’s far superior.

5 minutes ago, Rooke said:

I keep recommending Nodame to people. Best musical anime in existence, imo. People keep promoting crap like K-ON for musical anime, but Nodame’s far superior.

I'm a huge music lover (which isn't to say I think I have good taste or anything - just that I enjoy it), so music tie-ins are a big deal for me, and if done well basically account for +1 star to any baseline rating from me. I actually love the shit out of K-On! as well, but K-On! and Nodame are more different than they are similar; high school slice-of-life vs. post-high school rom-com puts them worlds apart, in the anime world. Granted, Nodame branches out and does a lot more WRT character development especially - I'd go so far as to say it's objectively better, from a storytelling perspective. But that doesn't change that, subjectively, K-On! is ideal for people looking for cute girls doing cute things.

4 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Rewrite's Chihaya and Hunchback of NOtreDAME. Got it

At least latch onto the Cantabile part, rather than the Nodame part, geeze. It's basically what makes her cute.

50 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I'm a huge music lover (which isn't to say I think I have good taste or anything - just that I enjoy it), so music tie-ins are a big deal for me, and if done well basically account for +1 star to any baseline rating from me.

Have you considered watching AKB0048? It's a solid idol series with superb animation and enjoyable songs. Story has its flaws and is generally hit or miss, but I liked it. If you enjoyed some of Okada's more popular works (ignoring the awful stuff like BRS), you're not likely to be disappointed. I highly recommend using Evetaku's subs for their fantastic kara.

5 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Have you considered watching AKB0048? It's a solid idol series with superb animation and enjoyable songs. Story has its flaws and is generally hit or miss, but I liked it. If you enjoyed some of Okada's more popular works (ignoring the awful stuff like BRS), you're not likely to be disappointed. I highly recommend using Evetaku's subs for their fantastic kara.

I must be horrible because I enjoyed BRS

AKB0048 was fantastic though totally not just an idol fan

We just streamed the entire Girls und Panzer series as well as the OVAs and the movie. It was a solid 10 hours of pure tank madness.

The chat was also extremely fun. We had up to 220 viewers.

Girls und Panzer is the best anime film released this season. I hope more would come in the future, and more people would come aboard our wild ride (and long wait times).

9 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I actually have the first season on disc but haven't gotten around to it yet. My incoming rate of anime to watch is much higher than my consumption rate, so as dictated by a fundamental theorem of queueing theory, the queue keeps growing and I never actually watch half the stuff in it :(

But I'm more interested now - I didn't know that writer by name, but I loved both NagiAsu and AnoHana, which speaks pretty well for her. But, don't worry; I know not to expect either of those from AKB0048.

2 hours ago, ittaku said:

Finished watching silver spoon 1+2 with my wife. She loved it and I enjoyed it quite a lot too. Here's hoping a 3rd and final season isn't too far off.

This one has been sitting in my backlog for at least six months now, probably a lot longer... I really need to get to it, but I never hear anybody around here talk about it so it always gets put off. No more!

Started watching "Scrapped Princess".

Feels sort of like "modern old" anime. It feels like old anime -- the kind of stuff that would air when I was a kid -- but having aired in 2003 it's relatively recent.
...Not that 2003 is particularly recent.

Geez, any year this millennium feels recent to me.