What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

7 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Up to Episode 10 of The Irregular at Magic High School.

Pretty standard stuff so far, just an overpowered, capable calm n' collected protagonist lacking in magical talent and his idolizing-to-borderline-incestuous-lust talented imouto living out their days at an elite magic skoo while dealing with school cultural WEED vs BLOOM problems and taking out the occasional terrorist squad.

Enjoyable. I heard the quality dips in the latter half, though, so I'll be on guard for that.

He's actually Jesus incarnate. You should have seen all the 4chan threads about it.

But yeah the major issue with Mahouka is that there's really no suspense because Tatsuya is super OP. And the anime doesn't even show his most OP scenes. It's fun the first few times but then it's just kinda ridiculous.

There's also the fact it's a bad adaptation in general. It literally skips a whole volume.

1 hour ago, Nosebleed said:

There's also the fact it's a bad adaptation in general. It literally skips a whole volume.

In before someone complains about a bad anime adaptation of a VN or LN or Manga or... oh wait too late.

FMAB is not.

30 minutes ago, ittaku said:

In before someone complains about a bad anime adaptation of a VN or LN or Manga or... oh wait too late.

Most LN adaptations are mediocre, but they at least follow the storyline. Mahouka kinda doesn't, and it also adds a lot of pacing issues on top of that, which leads to it ending in the worst possible place. But I think the premise of the story itself is already a big enough flaw to not consider it a great show. You always know what's going to happen, you know Tatsuya will overpower his enemies every single time, and not in a One-punch Man kind of way.  Imagine Kirito, except overpowered in real life and with an even bigger harem, that's Tatsuya. But even worse is that Tatsuya basically has no emotions, he's just like "I'm prince charming and I can do literally anything", and it gets stale quickly, especially with the anime's pacing. And above all else, a majority of the show is attempting to explain why he's that awesome, and taking it very seriously, and it just doesn't work.

Also in general it's just not a very fun anime to watch because the battles are really boring and have no polish to them. Most of them are over in 2 minutes because Tatsuya just overpowers everyone who was initially underestimating him (I'm not exaggerating, that's what happens every time). They literally build up all this tension and drama because they're "about to lose" and "what are they gonna do now!?" and then Tatsuya just steps in and people are still worried, and then he just wins and all that tension is gone. And just when you think it's about to get good, the anime ends.

I mean, I guess you can find some enjoyment if you just like seeing overpowered characters, but Tatsuya is not a good way to bring that trope out in my opinion. I had way more fun watching Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica because the protagonist in there exhibits charisma out of every pore of his body. Tatsuya is just a price charming with little to no personality.

I think in this particular case the novels are vastly superior, if not only for the pacing. Yeah the premise is still iffy, but at least it's easier to put up with, but even then Mahouka's characters are just not that good.

4 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I should feel fulfilled for having my bait taken by the mater baiter himself but instead I feel strangely empty.

I am always up to rant about how every anime is shit! It is most joyous to me.

I also think it is healthy to share different opinions. I do not wish to deter anyone from liking whatever they like.

3 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Most LN adaptations are mediocre, but they at least follow the storyline. Mahouka kinda doesn't, and it also adds a lot of pacing issues on top of that, which leads to it ending in the worst possible place. But I think the premise of the story itself is already a big enough flaw to not consider it a great show. You always know what's going to happen, you know Tatsuya will overpower his enemies every single time, and not in a One-punch Man kind of way.  Imagine Kirito, except overpowered in real life and with an even bigger harem, that's Tatsuya. But even worse is that Tatsuya basically has no emotions, he's just like "I'm prince charming and I can do literally anything", and it gets stale quickly, especially with the anime's pacing. And above all else, a majority of the show is attempting to explain why he's that awesome, and taking it very seriously, and it just doesn't work.

Also in general it's just not a very fun anime to watch because the battles are really boring and have no polish to them. Most of them are over in 2 minutes because Tatsuya just overpowers everyone who was initially underestimating him (I'm not exaggerating, that's what happens every time). They literally build up all this tension and drama because they're "about to lose" and "what are they gonna do now!?" and then Tatsuya just steps in and people are still worried, and then he just wins and all that tension is gone. And just when you think it's about to get good, the anime ends.

I mean, I guess you can find some enjoyment if you just like seeing overpowered characters, but Tatsuya is not a good way to bring that trope out in my opinion. I had way more fun watching Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica because the protagonist in there exhibits charisma out of every pore of his body. Tatsuya is just a price charming with little to no personality.

I think in this particular case the novels are vastly superior, if not only for the pacing. Yeah the premise is still iffy, but at least it's easier to put up with, but even then Mahouka's characters are just not that good.

Pretty much every reason I dropped the anime. It was just boring.

So my uncle told me to watch GATE and i finally decided/remembered to watch. damn it's really good i wish there was more stuff like this. I'm really getting into the "middle ages" anime lately.

Although maybe IRL, maybe not in Japan but in america or any other greedy country i'm sure they would just wipe out everyone w/o hesitation and take all the resources since I know they don't care about anyone but themselves here.

On 23/05/2016 at 0:49 PM, Nosebleed said:

I'll be honest. This description of yours seems like the sort of thing I'd really like. There's so much stuff others hate on that I might like, I wish I had the time to watch anime these days... :(

8 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

I'll be honest. This description of yours seems like the sort of thing I'd really like. There's so much stuff others hate on that I might like, I wish I had the time to watch anime these days... :(

If you want to watch a show where nothing ultimately happens, go ahead. :P

On 5/25/2016 at 1:11 AM, Justin579 said:

So my uncle told me to watch GATE and i finally decided/remembered to watch. damn it's really good i wish there was more stuff like this. I'm really getting into the "middle ages" anime lately.

Read '1632'. It's free on the kindle - https://www.amazon.com/1632-Ring-Fire-Eric-Flint-ebook/dp/B00BEQLQNE?ie=UTF8&qid=&ref_=tmm_kin_swatch_0&sr=

Finished Acchi Kocchi (was okay). Skipped through shuffle (didn't watch). Finished K-On2 with my wife (enjoyed it more 2nd watching).

Watching Cardcaptor, NouCome, Ouran high school host club, Chihayafuru, Special A, Maid Sama. Still have K-On movie to watch with wife.

Just finished deathnote and wow what a ride, but

Is it really that hard for the jp audience to have something other than justice always prevailing? I mean there aren't even any ovas of light winning, and really disliked how near ended up winning because he didn't really do anything calculating to win, the writers just made mikami act like an idiot and let near win based off of that. Might just be that I am salty but if light would of ended up winning the story would of been better and they wouldn't of needed to rush the ending as quickly as they did.

21 minutes ago, spademan said:

Just finished deathnote and wow what a ride, but

Hide contents

Is it really that hard for the jp audience to have something other than justice always prevailing? I mean there aren't even any ovas of light winning, and really disliked how near ended up winning because he didn't really do anything calculating to win, the writers just made mikami act like an idiot and let near win based off of that. Might just be that I am salty but if light would of ended up winning the story would of been better and they wouldn't of needed to rush the ending as quickly as they did.

Spoiler

It's not just you, many Death Note fans agree after L's death the anime just isn't as fun. Probably because the rivalry between L and Light was the focus for so long and Near just couldn't fill that gap no matter what.

Nonetheless, I don't think it was poor writing to have Light losing, I actually think it makes sense given what the story was trying to achieve (at least in my opinion). The idea I believe the author was trying to convey wasn't that "justice always prevails", it was more that "no human can be omnipotent". Light was very pragmatic and tried to be perfect, but he can't be a God, and the moment Ryuk said he'd take his life was the moment you knew Light was destined to die by the hands of the one who granted him this immense power. However, if you read the manga, in the last chapter Light still has a ton of followers, so in a way he did achieve his immortality as the moral authority.

Call it poetic justice if you will, but I think it makes more sense for Light to lose in the series. Sure having him win and conquer the world would be interesting too, but I believe Death Note's finale is fine as is.

3 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It's not just you, many Death Note fans agree after L's death the anime just isn't as fun. Probably because the rivalry between L and Light was the focus for so long and Near just couldn't fill that gap no matter what.

Nonetheless, I don't think it was poor writing to have Light losing, I actually think it makes sense what the story was trying to achieve. The idea I believe the author was trying to convey wasn't that "justice always prevails", it was more that "no human can be omnipotent". Light was very pragmatic and tried to be perfect, but he can't be a God, and the moment Ryuk said he'd take his life was the moment you knew Light was destined to die by the hands of the one who granted him this immense power. However, if you read the manga, in the last chapter Light still has a ton of followers, so in a way he did achieve his immortality as the moral authority.

Call it poetic justice if you will, but I think it makes more sense for Light to lose in the series. Sure having him win and conquer the world would be interesting too, but I believe Death Note's finale is fine as is.

I  understand what you are saying, and your thoughts behind the authors reasoning for having light die, and although i feel as the story would of been better with him alive, because you could actually display some aftermaths of everything, you could also use ova's and movies to spin off many different alternate endings based off of light winning. The only thing that truly bothers me about Light losing is NOT that he loses but HOW he loses. The author set so many intricate plots throughout the movie, and it really was entertaining to watch how it all unfolded. I just have can't fathom how  that someone with this talent could really have light lose over a FLUKE. Mikami pretty much followed everything to the T, and once it was go time, suddenly wants to act on his own.

I mean one of the major themes of this for me, was that it was a battle of wits/ideals but when it all comes down to it in the ending it was resolved on nothing more than a fluke. Honestly if they wanted to have light lose in such a lackluster way I don't even see the reason for this series having L dying  because his supposed "successors" were nothing more than some half-bit kid detectives who in the end constantly had to rely on L's inheritance,  their allies and luck to stop Light. But if this is also based around on the theme of omnipotence, it would make sense that these hack detectives would need to rely on everyone (and luck) in order to beat light.[spoiler/]

I wasn't able to get my hands on the 3DS's Senran Kagura Burst so I'm gonna watch the horrific Senran Kagura Ninja Flash as my introduction to the series before diving into my Vita's Shinovi Versus + Estival Versus ^_^ 

Oh crap, and I still needa finish the Irregular at Magic High School, huh.

Finished My mental choices are completely interfering with my school romantic comedy aka NouCome and the OVA. It was pretty good and quite amusing, though it just notches up another scar on my unresolved harem list, awaiting more seasons of more unresolution [sic].

13 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Finished My mental choices are completely interfering with my school romantic comedy aka NouCome and the OVA. It was pretty good and quite amusing, though it just notches up another scar on my unresolved harem list, awaiting more seasons of more unresolution [sic].

God I loved that anime, it was freaking hilarious. Pretty positive that's a one and done anime unfortunately.