What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Just recently completed watching Baka And Test, both Season 1 and 2 as well as the OVAs too! I spent most of the time laughing at the top of my lungs! One of the best and hilarious anime I could ever watched. Plus the English dubbed is pretty great as well! 

Now I'll go try watching other similar animes or maybe Gunslinger Girl would be nice... 

Finished NagiAsu - it was pretty decent, I have no actual complaints about pacing or storytelling. A few of the girls deserved better, but that's more just personal empathy speaking.

Wasn't "too" frustrating to watch, though I found some of the characters (esp. Kanama - think that's his name, the blond guy constantly stuck in the friendzone) obnoxious at times. The series actually felt relatively accurate - if perhaps overblown - to the complex and stormy emotions, as well as the potential selfishness revolving around the concept of love. IE - is love really for the sake of another, selflessly? or is love a possessive desire for the self? I think this anime silently presents those questions very well.

Side note: the boys' uniforms (the sailor suit style) were tacky af. lol :sachi: I mistook them for girls at first glance.

Was a good recco, thanks. :)

41 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Finished NagiAsu - it was pretty decent, I have no actual complaints about pacing or storytelling. A few of the girls deserved better, but that's more just personal empathy speaking.

Wasn't "too" frustrating to watch, though I found some of the characters (esp. Kanama - think that's his name, the blond guy constantly stuck in the friendzone) obnoxious at times. The series actually felt relatively accurate - if perhaps overblown - to the complex and stormy emotions, as well as the potential selfishness revolving around the concept of love. IE - is love really for the sake of another, selflessly? or is love a possessive desire for the self? I think this anime silently presents those questions very well.

Side note: the boys' uniforms (the sailor suit style) were tacky af. lol :sachi: I mistook them for girls at first glance.

Was a good recco, thanks. :)

You forgot to say what your best ship was! Tell!

10 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Hide contents

Obviously mr. curse-fish :sachi:

iSykCLp.jpg

jokes aside:

Hide contents

I'd say grown-up(ish) Miune

7Isqu8F.gif

Spoiler

Miuna was, for me as well, the surprise best girl in the series. I liked her a whole lot more than Manaka, at least. I think getting that mixed ending for my favorite character is actually a big part of why I enjoyed the show so much - I love slightly bittersweet endings, because it just feels unreal to me when everything is made to work out perfectly for the best characters, shrouded in invincible plot armor.

That preference for slightly bittersweet endings for main characters is a big part of why I like the ending for K-On!!.

3 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:
  Hide contents

Miuna was, for me as well, the surprise best girl in the series. I liked her a whole lot more than Manaka, at least. I think getting that mixed ending for my favorite character is actually a big part of why I enjoyed the show so much - I love slightly bittersweet endings, because it just feels unreal to me when everything is made to work out perfectly for the best characters, shrouded in invincible plot armor.

That preference for slightly bittersweet endings for main characters is a big part of why I like the ending for K-On!!.

But Miuna had the odds stacked against her from the get go, and then the show gave her the middle finger anyway.

In fact, Manaka winning is why the show made me so upset, not because she was a shit character (although that's part of it I must admit) but because it felt like it nullified everything that had been built up before. It was like "yeah well I still have my undying love for Manaka anyway so fuck you". Out of all the girls in that show, Manaka had the thickest plot armor, and her winning solidified that fact.

Imo the show would have been 10 times better had she stayed dead at the bottom of the ocean.

The reason I hated the drama was because of how angsty it was on top of how safe the story plays it. Manaka winning was the demise of the whole show (on top of the often dragged out drama).

8 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Hide contents

But Miuna had the odds stacked against her from the get go, and then the show gave her the middle finger anyway.

In fact, Manaka winning is why the show made me so upset, not because she was a shit character (although that's part of it I must admit) but because it felt like it nullified everything that had been built up before. It was like "yeah well I still have my undying love for Manaka anyway so fuck you". Out of all the girls in that show, Manaka had the thickest plot armor, and her winning solidified that fact.

Imo the show would have been 10 times better had she stayed dead at the bottom of the ocean.

The reason I hated the drama was because of how angsty it was on top of how safe the story plays it. Manaka winning was the demise of the whole show (on top of the often dragged out drama).

Nosebleed is just too :salt: over the ending to like the series :sachi: 

Everyone is correct, Miuna is best girl

Finished No-Rin and Mahou Sensou. No-Rin was okay. Mahou Sensou was meh. Onto K-On2 with my wife; it's not so bad on rewatch. By myself I'm still slowly ploughing through Cardcaptor Sakura which has surprisingly been refreshing even if it's still quite childish.

On the NagiAsu front

Spoiler

I particularly liked the totally unexpected way they wove the young characters into the love polygon after the 5 years. On rewatch it was much clearer that the young girls had crushes on the older boys but on the first watch I was completely oblivious to it. Of the girls, I actually felt most sorry for Chisaki. Those 5 years must have been torture and Tsumugu was for her definitely a distant second best.

20 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Mahou Sensou was meh.

That's a complete understatement from the people I've talked to. I believe it was @Nosebleed who hated it with a passion, along with some of my friends not on this site. Apparently it's on an abomination level of horribleness. 

2 minutes ago, Ceris said:

That's a complete understatement from the people I've talked to. I believe it was @Nosebleed who hated it with a passion, along with some of my friends not on this site. Apparently it's on an abomination level of horribleness. 

Nah I've seen much much worse though rarely do I make it to the end. My mistake was sitting through it all though, but that may have been for Naou Toyama as VA... I have a soft spot for any show that has one of the myriad of VAs that I like.

I'm slowly watching Zero no Tsukaima, mostly because of Tiago's recommendation of it, but also in part because of TsundeRie (who I found pretty forgettable in ToraDora, to be honest, but awesome in MariMite). I do like her in this role quite a lot, but the show leaves a lot to be desired right now.

It's funny to realize this show actually started airing after Haruhi, barely. Maybe it's just my mistaken impression, but it honestly looks more similar to Love Hina (which came out some 6 years earlier) than to anything moe you'd see today, whereas Haruhi would hardly look out of place today. Kind of puts it in perspective just how much that one show impacted an entire industry. As expected of KyoAni, I guess. Sometimes I wish they'd stop resting on their laurels and do something amazing again, but then I watch stuff like AmaBri and realize they do occasionally do amazing things, but for some reason I'm not watching them...

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

I'm slowly watching Zero no Tsukaima, mostly because of Tiago's recommendation of it, but also in part because of TsundeRie (who I found pretty forgettable in ToraDora, to be honest, but awesome in MariMite). I do like her in this role quite a lot, but the show leaves a lot to be desired right now.

It's funny to realize this show actually started airing after Haruhi, barely. Maybe it's just my mistaken impression, but it honestly looks more similar to Love Hina (which came out some 6 years earlier) than to anything moe you'd see today, whereas Haruhi would hardly look out of place today. Kind of puts it in perspective just how much that one show impacted an entire industry. As expected of KyoAni, I guess. Sometimes I wish they'd stop resting on their laurels and do something amazing again, but then I watch stuff like AmaBri and realize they do occasionally do amazing things, but for some reason I'm not watching them...

GL, Zero no Tsukaima is a headache to watch at times, especially cuz Saito is one giant baka inu.

5 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

GL, Zero no Tsukaima is a headache to watch at times, especially cuz Saito is one giant baka inu.

The only person in the entire cast who doesn't bother me is the administrative assistant to Osman. RIP me, I just read the Wikipedia article trying to figure out her name and got the arc I'm currently on spoiled. Goddammit.

Edit: I am seriously so salty right now you would not believe it. Why did I do this?

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

The only person in the entire cast who doesn't bother me is the administrative assistant to Osman. RIP me, I just read the Wikipedia article trying to figure out her name and got the arc I'm currently on spoiled. Goddammit.

Edit: I am seriously so salty right now you would not believe it. Why did I do this?

ZnT is annoying because it's inconsistent. It has some great moments and... fortunately a happy ending which I can't live without, but it's obvious it changes partway due to the original author dying and the second half of the series created by the animators entirely. One thing that seemed obvious that should have happened in the story but didn't was, major spoiler...

Spoiler

The power of combining elements with the void was obvious earlier on in the series. It seemed like the final boss should have needed all 4 elements combined with the void magician to beat but nothing like that ever happened.

7 hours ago, ittaku said:

Nah I've seen much much worse though rarely do I make it to the end. My mistake was sitting through it all though, but that may have been for Naou Toyama as VA... I have a soft spot for any show that has one of the myriad of VAs that I like.

I have rated Mahou Sensou a 1/10. I consider it one of the worst anime ever made, because literally nothing in it makes sense, the characters are shit, the story is shit, the animation was bad and there wasn't even a "warfare" like the title boasted, and I watched it while it was airing, meaning I wasted a ton of time on it for nothing. You'll have to excuse me for thinking a show with absolutely nothing worthwhile is complete and utter garbage, and I honestly struggle to find much worse to this day.

Most shows manage to have something of redeeming quality, even if I end up not liking them, but Mahou Sensou managed to make everything bad.

The icing on top of the cake was that it was one of the worst selling anime after it aired, not even reaching 1k copies sold.

6 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

I have rated Mahou Sensou a 1/10. I consider it one of the worst anime ever made, because literally nothing in it makes sense, the characters are shit, the story is shit, the animation was bad and there wasn't even a "warfare" like the title boasted, and I watched it while it was airing, meaning I wasted a ton of time on it for nothing. You'll have to excuse me for thinking a show with absolutely nothing worthwhile is complete and utter garbage, and I honestly struggle to find much worse to this day.

Most shows manage to have something of redeeming quality, even if I end up not liking them, but Mahou Sensou managed to make everything bad.

I just checked my list of watched shows and of shows I've watched to the end I've rated it in the worst 5 of 300, so it's not like I'm saying it's good in any way...

Just now, ittaku said:

I just checked my list of watched shows and of shows I've watched to the end it's in the worst 10 of 300, so it's not like I'm saying it's good in any way...

I know, I just like reflecting on how terrible it is whenever someone brings it up. I'd rather watch Mars of Destruction 10 times than touch Mahou Sensou ever again.

Believe it or not though I have talked to one person who said the show was good. I usually try to understand people, but I'll never understand how anyone can enjoy this abomination.

2 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

I know, I just like reflecting on how terrible it is whenever someone brings it up. I'd rather watch Mars of Destruction 10 times than touch Mahou Sensou ever again.

Believe it or not though I have talked to one person who said the show was good. I usually try to understand people, but I'll never understand how anyone can enjoy this abomination.

There's no accounting for taste. Sure there are some things that just don't agree with some people, but I agree with you on this, almost everything conducted in it was done badly. Like I said, I have a soft spot for one of the VAs and that's about it. Note I had to revise when I realised it was actually bottom 5 not 10, and some of the stuff I hated more it was just stuff that pissed me off rather than it was badly made.

33 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

All the talk about Mondaiji-tachi in the LN thread got me all excited, so I got the Light Novels and now started watching the anime itself

It looks promising after the 1st episode

Mondaiji's biggest strength is the world-building. I dearly wish they'd (officially) translate the LNs or bring out new seasons of the show just so I could see more of that awesome setting.

12 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

As has been said, Tsukaima's later seasons only get better, but it manages to consistently introduce hiccups all the way through.
I still believe it was worth it anyway. It is notable, however, that I didn't just enjoy it for the romance or for the comedy: The fantasy setting helped immensely. I believe that if you manage to endure a couple of seasons, you may grow invested in the story, and the rest will just flow naturally.

In other news, I am currently watching Musaigen no Phantom World. Nice episodic series about an... interesting premise. Must confess I really just like the protagonist and it's remotely interesting, so I'll just go with it.

I think this is the first time I've ever watched a show while it's airing, but I decided I needed more comedy, so I picked up Sakamoto Desu Ga on the strength of Aaron's recommendation. I watched all five available episodes while making dinner; it's pretty solid so far. I kind of want it to develop a side character or two, since I'm not sure how long Sakamoto himself can hold the fort. I rather like both Aina and Hayabusa, but I have a feeling none of the current side cast is going to amount to much because Sakamoto is too awesome to share the stage with anyone.

Re:Nagi no Asukara best ship and some spoilers:

I love you all for agreeing that Miuna is best girl. And yeah, I felt soooo bad for Chiaki. Literally spent 5 years away from the life she's always known and with basically complete strangers at first.

I finished Koufuku Graffiti just the other day. Its been stalled at the last episode for the longest time because life got busy when I was planning to finish it, and I just never got around to finishing it. There wasn't enough Shiina in the show, but the cute girls doing cute things with some philosophical pondering on the side was great.

This past week I've finished a few anime. I've been kinda lagging behind on anime in general last time I watched it, but now I'm kinda blazing through them. It's amazing what a break from anime will do for your enjoyment of it.

1st one I'd like to mention is Rurouni Kenshin, which is something I've been re-watching. I have a lot more appreciation for the show now that I understand the complexities of the characters and their ideologies. It's a great anime, it really is. Even when I couldn't understand it completely when I watched it as a teenager, it still had a major impact in how I live my life. Probably also attributed to my current interest in philosophy.

Also got around to finishing One Punch Man. I picked this up while it was airing some time ago, but it was back when I had started losing interest in anime in general and I only watched the 1st few episodes. Great watch though. It gets a little more serious as the show goes on, but it's awfully fun from the start. Saitama might be stronger than Goku.

And finally I got around to finishing Amagi Brilliant Park. Not gonna lie, this is really the only Fumihiko Shimo anime I've ever been disappointed in. Not that it was bad or anything, it was just... not that good. Can't really say I cared for the characters that much except for Latifa. It wasn't a painful watch at least.