What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

6 hours ago, FrozenRaven said:

I tried watching it a few years ago but couldn't really get passed the 2nd episode cause I was busy. Is it worth going back to?

It's my second favourite series after Non Non Biyori, so I would definitely say yes it is... But only if you don't mind inconsequential slice of life. It's absolutely hilarious and adorable, but if you want any form of storyline it's probably best to avoid it.

Happy nosebleeds :sachi:

Acchi Kocchi is literally the highest level that bullshit SoL can get

When I watched and finished it, I immediately read the manga... and watched it again...

Many delicious and deadly deiabeteses were had

Damn, I probably should watch it again, Tsumiki is just too precious

On 4/20/2016 at 8:22 PM, Fred the Barber said:

Trying to finish things off, so I wrapped up both Love Live season 2 (finally, after a month or two) and Charlotte. First, Charlotte:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, that took a ride on the WTF train pretty quickly, didn't it?

Episode 6 was a little too shocking, but I could've rolled with it if it was handled well. Episode 7, unfortunately, was pretty much the worst thing ever (though Tomori was very sweet in it, and I fell for her all over again). And then episode 8 somehow managed to compound the horribleness of episode 7, which was quite a feat. It wasn't actually all that bad from there, except that it felt like I was getting jerked around through a long list of plot points that had to be covered without nearly enough time to digest it.

That said, I thought the last episode was actually good (not great, but good). It didn't come close to making up for the horrifying path that got us there, but it still felt like a suitable (if not remotely believable) way to wrap up the show. It was fun seeing about a dozen ideas for powers appear, even if they were largely one-offs, and I liked some of the little points of focus (the girl with healing abilities, and the last girl with powers).

Can't go without adding: I loathed the Engrish, every time it happened, and it just kept happening. It's absolutely horrifying to me that they had Marina do a completely Engrish song; it's not that her accent was all that bad (I've heard much worse), but rather that the lyrics were worse than 8th-grade poetry. Make it stop. Also, it sounded like in some cases they actually got native English speakers to do the voice acting for the foreigner characters near the end, and those lines were actually English rather than Engrish, but unfortunately the voice actors doing those lines were even worse than the show's plot mishaps. Ugh.

The last nose dive I spoke of is

How Yuu reacted after Kumagami died. I don't even remember the exact episode but he already claimed to have absolute resolve to see things through to the end and then he becomes a freaking pansy. Lets not forget the fact that they didn't even bother trying to get Yuu to learn to use his powers offensively before putting him into a dangerous hostage exchange situation. Regardless he lost any respect I ever had until the final episode of the season. I particularly enjoyed the bit about the girl with courage.

Seconding the notion that no one should watch True Tears. I certainly was beyond salty about what happened...

Finished AmagamiSS and the 2 specials. It was pretty good. Not exceptional but enjoyable enough as an anime rendition of a VN. I'll save SS+ for another time.

With my wife we finished Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou and The Devil is a Part Timer which she really enjoyed and now we're watching K-on which she doesn't mind.

Now for old shows myself I'm currently watching Magical Warfare, No-rin and Cardcaptor Sakura, all of which are okay (they're on Animelab which I'm a subscriber of so it's a no-brainer to watch them.)

3 hours ago, AaronIsCrunchy said:

Started watching 'Sakamoto desu ga?', and it's the biggest, most ridiculous pile of Marty Stu, bish-sparkled nonsense I think I've ever seen.

So yeah, basically the greatest thing to grace my eyes tbh.

Yeah, you ain't wrong in the slightest

I read the manga and even that almost blinded me with its brilliance and swaghood (Is that a word? Either way, I'm rolling with it)

After watching the first episode, I can indeed confirm that this one is the bishiest, swag-filled, most brilliant satire-filled thing to grace this earth, ever.

It's pretty damn good

Anyone feel like reccomending me a semi-serious series? Nothing ultra-dark, but something that avoids using a ton of stupid slapstick "oops" scenes (ie, protag walks in on girl changing, lulz ensue). Been getting duds in my hunt for something interesting, closest I came was GATE, but even that was sort of meh.

Maybe I'm just not in the mood for anime atm :komari:

47 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Anyone feel like reccomending me a semi-serious series? Nothing ultra-dark, but something that avoids using a ton of stupid slapstick "oops" scenes (ie, protag walks in on girl changing, lulz ensue). Been getting duds in my hunt for something interesting, closest I came was GATE, but even that was sort of meh.

Any specifics about what type of series you're looking for? In the absence of a MAL (to filter out stuff you've already seen), here's a few rather different ones without any (that I recall) stupid slapstick like you mention, all of which I really enjoyed:

• Maria-sama ga Miteru
  • Haibane Renmei
  • Suisei no Gargantia

5 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Going to give you that Tatami Galaxy recommendation. Katanagatari as well, along with Seitokai Yakuindomo. The lack of a list of shows seen to filter stuff out, which also serves as a way for us to see what kinds of shows you like, makes this recommendation thing kind of a crap shoot.

@Fred the Barber @jaxter0987

Thanks you two :) tbh I've forgotten the names of most of the series I've watched, lol. With exception of the ones that really stood out, or had a english/unique name. (Gosick, Dusk maiden of Amnesia, SAO, Plastic Dreams, Certain Scientific index, Kokoro Connect, Shana, Utawarerumono)

Watched a lot more, but those stand out in my mind. Basically I tend to favor Romance (single girl, not harem), drama, suspense, and various helpings of dry humor (the sort that doesn't always leap in your face with gags, but simply "exists" - can't really put my finger on a good description). By drama, I don't mean "love triangle drama" (though if done well, I don't mind it), I more just mean some overshadowing "trouble" that needs to be overcome by various characters in order to grow/live.

Man, as I reread this post I'm writing - I'm noticing I've become really effing picky, lol :makina:

Thanks for the name drops, they don't seem familiar at a glance, so I'll look them up and see what happens, maybe I'll be lucky with them. :)

5 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

@Fred the Barber @jaxter0987

Thanks you two :) tbh I've forgotten the names of most of the series I've watched, lol. With exception of the ones that really stood out, or had a english/unique name. (Gosick, Dusk maiden of Amnesia, SAO, Plastic Dreams, Certain Scientific index, Kokoro Connect, Shana, Utawarerumono)

Watched a lot more, but those stand out in my mind. Basically I tend to favor Romance (single girl, not harem), drama, suspense, and various helpings of dry humor (the sort that doesn't always leap in your face with gags, but simply "exists" - can't really put my finger on a good description). By drama, I don't mean "love triangle drama" (though if done well, I don't mind it), I more just mean some overshadowing "trouble" that needs to be overcome by various characters in order to grow/live.

Man, as I reread this post I'm writing - I'm noticing I've become really effing picky, lol :makina:

Thanks for the name drops, they don't seem familiar at a glance, so I'll look them up and see what happens, maybe I'll be lucky with them. :)

I almost suggested Kokoro Connect, although that first arc has a bit of that fanservicey gag stuff, but it's one of my favorites as well. Anyway, given the above, I have a feeling you'd really like NagiAsu. It's got the most complex love polygon I've ever seen, but I mean that in the best possible way. I don't recall it having all that much humor, but it has quite a lot of romance and drama, a fair bit of suspense, and a fascinating setting. The ending isn't for everybody (paging Nosebleed for a rebuttal to this suggestion), but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

4 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I almost suggested Kokoro Connect, although that first arc has a bit of that fanservicey gag stuff, but it's one of my favorites as well. Anyway, given the above, I have a feeling you'd really like NagiAsu. It's got the most complex love polygon I've ever seen, but I mean that in the best possible way. I don't recall it having all that much humor, but it has quite a lot of romance and drama, a fair bit of suspense, and a fascinating setting. The ending isn't for everybody (paging Nosebleed for a rebuttal to this suggestion), but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I loved NagiAsu and watched it almost in one sitting. It was just as good on a rewatch when my wife watched it too where I saw the relationships from a totally different perspective thanks to the knowledge of hindsight.

5 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Your call has been heard.

I won't completely dismiss Nagi no Asukara, but I think people should only watch it knowing it's literally all just love polygons and drama. Contrary to popular belief, I don't hate Nagi no Asukara, but I definitely found it underwhelming near the end. All the good characters got shafted in favor of the worst ones and I was really salty over it. But above all, I really did not like that the show had such a focus on the absolute worst type of teenage drama.

With such an amazing setting and art direction, it pained me to see that anime spend all of its time shoving this ridiculous love polygon in your face. It was frustrating more than it was entertaining and could have been solved quickly if the characters weren't dunces at time. I found very little justification for the story to drag on for as long as it did, time which could have been spent doing more fun things.

I think the reason this show didn't hit home for me is because a couple of the main characters spoiled it, mainly Manaka, because otherwise it could have been a slightly interesting love story, but everything was too predictable fairly early on and the rest of the show after the first half for me was just painful to witness, waiting a week for a new episode only to go "noooooo whyyyyy" was not fun. I guess in a sense it got me emotionally invested in it, but it definitely wasn't in a good way.

I know my opinion is not fairly popular on this show, and I myself admit most of it comes from the fact the characters did not click with me, but I still find sme legitimacy in saying that if you don't like your standard teenage drama, Nagi no Asukara is definitely not for you, but if you're comfortable with an anime spending 90% of its time with the characters moping about the one they love and stuff, then go ahead and watch it, because it did manage to bring out that aspect quite well.

Also, if you don't like Manaka early on, you might as well abandon the ship to save yourself the pain.

4 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

but I think people should only watch it knowing it's literally all just love polygons and drama

Pretty much this. I'm part of the Nagi no Asukara hype train though and absolutely loved the anime.

On 5/9/2016 at 9:33 PM, Fred the Barber said:

Looks interesting, def going to watch it next. Love polygons drive me insane - but if done well, I don't mind. re: Kokoro Connect "although that first arc has a bit of that fanservicey gag stuff," I don't mind it in certain doses, but if a show is saturated with it - I lose my patience quickly, heh.

@NosebleedI was able to watch (and mostly like) Toradora, so I'm hoping I have the patience to enjoy Nagi. Have to wait and see just how teen-drama it gets I soppose :makina: 

At the moment I came across a completely random show that has been a pleasant surprise to watch - though it is showing its age. Scrapped Princess. Great characters in it, and while nothing terribly unique, a interesting story all the same.

EDIT: Finished Scrapped Princess - wasn't bad, liked almost all of it - but the conclusion was pretty unsatisfying, and how a few key things were handled. =/ Starting to watch Nagi right now, my 1st impression just watching the first 5 mins: Hikari is an asshole. :makina: Nice visuals though, and the setting is pretty cool.

I happened upon an OVA called Cipher and I must say it was the most unique anime watching experience of my current existence. It's the type of thing you wouldn't believe a production studio would make, but they did and they committed to it wholeheartedly. I highly recommend Cipher to all anime fans, it's an absolute must watch.

Phil Collins/10 :Kappa:

Spoiler

So basically, it's like a Japanese westaboo created an AMV with footage they created themselves. The audio is originally in English because you know screw the Japanese audience they have to read subtitles, the non-westaboo scum. The "story" is based off an old 12 volume manga, squishing those 12 volumes into a single 40 minute music video. Best Decision Ever. This is honestly the best "so bad it's good" anime I have ever seen, I died of laughter while watching this.:wahaha: