What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

I'm with you Fred when it comes to shows like One Week Friends. I'm very capable of suspending my disbelief so I tend to enjoy shows other people would have problems with. I recently finished Plastic Memories and I enjoyed it, though there were quite a few people to point out how ridiculous some things were.

WataMote was pretty much exactly as Nosebleed described. For me though, it was mostly hilariously cringy. I really related to her THOUGHTS but not so much her actions, since I'd say I was more attuned with social cues during my adolescence but that show hit hard with the cringe at times.

I started watching Lain forever ago but it wasn't really on my terms so I never went back to finish it. I always knew there was some deep meaning to Lain which is why I've been wanting to go back to watch it, but its hard nowadays. Maybe I've turned off my brain far too much recently to truly appreciate it right now. Wait no, I watched Tatami Galaxy fairly recently... I guess I'll go restart on Lain after I finish Koufuku Graffiti.

Finished Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun today. Damn that was good. I found the two main characters to be a little bit bland (mostly just by comparison, though), but all the side characters aside from Wakamatsu were crazy fun to watch. I really liked the show's vibe of having a stable but mostly-unremarkable central pair of characters, around which lots of crazy, fascinating satellites were playing out their dramas.

But of course something had to happen with that central pair, so here are some brief, vague but nonetheless spoilered thoughts on the ending:

Spoiler

The ending was surprisingly satisfying to me. Going into it, I was already resigned to getting a wide open ending for Sakura and Nozaki, not a nice buttoned-up ending like I usually prefer, and that's exactly what they went for, but somehow the writers managed to execute that open ending in a way that didn't make me mad, which is a rare feat. I think the mere fact that they made it clear that Sakura was content with that resolution, for the time being, made me also content. Regardless of the reasons, kudos to the writers on making me happy despite being stuck with a type of ending that normally drives me nuts.

I decided to start watching the Gatari series. I started with the first one, Bakemonogatari and finished it today. It is an interesting concept and in my opinion the anime had a huge budget because of different openings and overall great quality. Overall impression was really good. The openings were spot on most of the time when you understood the meaning behind it.

But 

Spoiler

What the hell is it with the small girl fantasies. I haven't read the source material but what the hell Shaft. 

On the the next infamous(?) anime, Nisemonogatari. I haven't lived under a rock. I know one scene... One special scene. Help me.

Just completed watching Log Horizon Season 1 and 2. Pretty nice anime, better than Sword Art Online I should say! Hope to see a another season because it left somehow of a cliffhanger in the last episode of the second season. Now continuing my anime marathon via watching Beyond The Boundary, starting to like it already and the visual is pretty awesome!  

So I finally finished strawberry panic. I had to stall it about halfway through because it got kind of boring, but I´m glad I stuck with it, as it really picked up again towards the end. Was a pretty good romantic drama anime overall, and one of the better yuri animes I´ve watched. (Kind of the exact oposite of Sakura trick, which is slice of life and cuteness.) The shoujo like build up in the show made me kind of pissed off at times, as every time the characters nearly kisse but were interrupted made me go: :saber: JUST FUC*IND DO IT ALREADY! Then again, it fits well with the nature of the show so thats not really something you can deduct points for. Giving it a 7. Definetily worth a re-watch sometime. (Totally wont skip straight to the fun scenes :makina: )

Time to start something new. Will probably go with something more shounen, harem, action kind of thing. Need a break from all this dramatic romance goo.

3 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

I may pick up Sword Art Online soon 'cos I have Hollow Fragment and Lost Song collecting virtual dust on my Vita ._.

Any thoughts on it

The anime is very good overall, strongly recommend it.

Though as for the games, do you have the broken engrish version of hallowed fragment, or the new, fixed version? The old translation is literally un-readable, the newer one is really good and professional. The game itself is very enjoyable and totally addicting.

14 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

I may pick up Sword Art Online soon 'cos I have Hollow Fragment and Lost Song collecting virtual dust on my Vita ._.

Any thoughts on it

Just remember, the show isn't a video game show. It's an action romance.  I have a few qualms with the way the series is presented coming from the books, but as a stand alone series it does just fine.  I'll leave it up to you to make your own impression.

6 hours ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Currently watching Golden Time and am on episode 15.

In a very rare turn of events, this anime has, in the latter half, both an OP and an ED that don't make me feel the immediate urge to skip.

How is it? I heard very mixed reviews and have been avoiding it, but I find if you like something, I usually like it too, so...

6 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

How is it? I heard very mixed reviews and have been avoiding it, but I find if you like something, I usually like it too, so...

I don't think it's amazing, but after getting through the most annoying part for me, it's gotten way better.

The heroine has a very very unique thing about her... Heroine's tend to be likeable, right? Else they're either kuudere's or tsundere's or some other personality type that does not make them immediately likeable. Now imagine a heroine that loves you, she clearly does, and you still can't like her too much. I like that for me, she managed to do that for a while. You may have a different experience.

Started watching Shirobako
It's refreshing to watch to something significantly different from the norm.
I did know certain tit-bits of info regarding how the anime companies work but really Shirobako is enlightening about the matter and now my understanding is increasing rapidly. The characters have been great, all of them are nicely portrayed and likeable. Then we also have Tarou-kun(trying real hard not to remember FLCL whenever I hear his name) who is literally there as the representative of all the annoyingness the staff has to endure. 
It is pretty interesting, plan to watch it slowly to enjoy it fully.  

Also I forgot to say it in my last Hataraku Maou-sama post
Chiho Best grill :miyako:

Spoiler

9HXWxA1.jpg

Alright well I finished serial experiment lain and I got to say, I liked it but Am confused about a few things.

Spoiler

Like for one, her seeing an alien, I'm guessing thats used to signify the border between Reality and the wired starting to become blurred?
Also why the hell did her sister turn into a phone?!
Neverless I pretty much understood everything else, it was definitely a good anime and made you think and the ending was pretty sad, she was already so lonely buy chose to become eternally lonely in the end.

23 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I thought it was pretty good for awhile. It is refreshing as hell to have a college setting, instead of the standard highschool. However I dropped it like a rock, when 

Spoiler

the heroine physically assaults a girl that was close to her crush and than the protagonist tries and defend her, like the bitch was totally justified in attacking a gal that was just being nice.  

On 2/5/2016 at 11:09 PM, Eclipsed said:

Any thoughts on it

Pretty much what Abyssal Monkey said. If you watched it with no prior knowledge or expectations, its fine.

The second half of the anime adaptation though... like it doesn't help that the source volume the second half comes from was mediocre but man oh man did that second half suck.

Hataraku Maou-sama: Emi a best. Fight me (I'm saying this jokingly but seriously, Emi > Chiho)

Golden Time: It was alright in the beginning but it just started feeling worse and worse due to it being a character driven show with characters that are hard to like. The only reason it was ok in the beginning was because of the college setting. I didn't like any of the characters but I figured they'd grow on me. They didn't... screw the MC.

Got to episode 19 of Golden Time. Can now confirm I'd recommend it. I can also confirm some characters show pretty unlikeable sides sometimes, nobody's perfect, and I like that.

Addendum: After finishing it it is worthy of note that for a series full of drama I liked it surprisingly lot. That ending, however... Thank god I'm all for that sort of thing. 9/10

Finished One Week Friends. I rather liked it up until the last arc (I think last ~3 episodes), which somehow just didn't work for me emotionally. I guess I find it frustrating when everybody wants the same things to happen, but it gets screwed up because they are unable to talk to each other honestly; it's too depressingly similar to real life. Kimi ni Todoke has this same pattern but drags it out for dozens of episodes, though, so I guess I should be glad it was only happening for the last 3 episodes of One Week Friends. I really enjoyed episodes 1-9, for what it's worth.

I watched the first two episodes of both My Little Monster and Nisekoi today.

- My Little Monster absolutely kills; I couldn't believe how good the first episode was, so I had to watch the second to see if they could possibly keep up the pace, and lo and behold, I got completely floored again. This show packs as much progress in each of its first two episodes as most shows would use to fill out a whole season. I can't imagine they can possibly keep episodes this compelling going on even for a 12-episode season, but if they pull it off, it's going to be one hell of a show, and even if it fell off a cliff right now, those first two episodes alone were well worth the price of admission. I love that while it's a romance with a typical high school setting, the execution is extremely atypical. At times its unique spin on a high school romance reminds me of Say "I Love You" (which I also really liked for its unusual focus), but it's quite a bit lighter in tone, and the characters are very different. And while the My Little Monster characters are a little bit thinner vs. the Say "I Love You" cast (so far, at least; this is probably unfair, though, since it's only been two episodes!), but it's not actually a problem since the main cast is all unusual and fun to watch. Bottom line, I'm really looking forward to watching more of this, and I'm having to actively restrain myself from just binge-watching the whole thing.

- Nisekoi I have more mixed feelings about. The show already has some amazing visual moments (there's something abnormally beautiful in the fanservicey scene in episode 1 or 2, where the camera focuses really tightly on various parts of Onodera which flutter around while she tells the protag what a great guy he is - it sounds absolutely tawdry when I describe it, but somehow the reality comes off as more than mere fanservice), has some hilarious gags (seeing all the yakuza excitedly watch a date is hysterical), and lastly has already completely convinced me to cheer for both of the main heroines (which is a terrible thing to do, and I hate the writers for doing this to me so effectively)... but despite all that, I'm somehow not sold on it yet. I probably need a couple more episodes for them to complete the setup and start manufacturing fascinating drama out of it, and then I'll probably binge-watch all of it, and then in all likelihood get sucked into the black hole that is the Nisekoi manga...