What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

I have been watching one to two episodes of Guilty Crown a night for the past week or so, but since it's the weekend I may splurge. It looks and sounds amazing on Blu Ray, honestly my love for this series since I started re-watching it has been fully rekindled, if not improved upon. Since it's been a year, give or take, since I last watched it, it's just 120% hype. I do realize that it has it's flaws (looking at you "Rebirth" episode) and they could have done a lot more with that if they had two more episodes, which I don't know why the didn't (was 22 ep show). Anyways still my favorite and has been for a couple years now. 

After I finish re-watching I was looking to re-watch my top three (Guilty Crown, White Album 2, Oreimo [which is arguable, why I want to re-watch it]). Only issue is I don't know how accessible White Album 2 Blu Ray's are or if they are in English. I might wait until my Japanese gets to a level where I can watch WA2 with out subtitles. Then Oreimo box set seems to be quite the high price so I will look around and hold off on that. 

Between all of that I finished OPM. The ending fight scene was lit as fuck, yet disappointing at the same time. I knew there would come a time when Saitama didn't one punch some mofo but I was sad to see it. Maybe if he went full OG from the beginning when he was still wearing the armor, but that didn't happen. 

Haven't finished Brave Beats yet and I intend to do that this week. At the moment it is still a contender for my top of 2015.

Aside from that I haven't watched anything the past two seasons really, other than Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru. I want to start up some shows this season but I don't really want to squeeze in anything else in my schedule, though my weekends are rather free. 

Owari no Seraph, really nicely animated, its like the 4k res of anime, everything is just so clean and polished,not that other anime have bad animation, but it seems like the resolution is just higher for some reason. I wonder why the japanese are so obsessed with vampires and that kind of stuff...vampires...demon king, it has to be a freaking demon king, normal demons won't do it, do they just not like ghouls and lycans and other evil abominations? 

After the atrocity that was Senran Kagura, I started watching another idol show called Pretthy Rhythm.

Considering my favorite voice actress voices the protagonist, I'm already getting a pretty good kick out of watching it. The live segments are annoying but other than that so far it's very similar to PriPara in terms of formula (which I guess it would be considering PriPara is a spin-off of Pretty Rhyth).

There's less fantasy elements and more idol business which I really appreciate, but the tone is very light hearted.

The protagonist being a klutz might be a hit or miss, but for me it's a hit since I love clumsy characters. The other 2 main characters I'm still on the fence about but I guess I'll learn more about them soon. 

I'm hoping I'll enjoy the series enough to watch the other 2 Pretty Rhythm seasons.

Just now, AaronIsCrunchy said:

To ask a potentially daft question, what's an idol anime? Are they linked to the idol music industry?

It's no daft question, it's just that you don't know. Idol animes are ones about girls wanting to be idols (and some boys appear, in some). Most classic could be Idol Densetsu Eriko, niiiiiice songs. They portray their careers to some extent. Eriko was a hard shojo, for example.

Just finished up Gourmet Graffiti Girl. It was pleasant but unremarkable, except for the food visuals, which were admittedly pretty awesome. All in all, it was fine, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for any kind of substance (obviously little to no plot is a given, but I even found the characters to be pretty boring).

Started up Nozaki, which is both hilarious and interesting. I'm three episodes in. The first episode set up a decent hook, and the subsequent two episodes have been doing a fantastic job of introducing fun new characters. I'm excited to see more people, and hopefully then to see a proper plot emerge and get resolved.

1 minute ago, luciodragao said:

still watching higurashi, i saw a bunch of people talking how good it was and stuff but where i am atm (episode 8 ) i just dont know what's so special about it

There's quite a few people that aren't such a fan of it, particularly in tandem with the VN. With that in mind, I thought it was really rather good, though it takes some time to truly get going with it. I'd say finish the 3rd arc of the first season, and if you're still not feeling it then it's probably not worth carrying on.

1 minute ago, AaronIsCrunchy said:

There's quite a few people that aren't such a fan of it, particularly in tandem with the VN. With that in mind, I thought it was really rather good, though it takes some time to truly get going with it. I'd say finish the 3rd arc of the first season, and if you're still not feeling it then it's probably not worth carrying on.

shall do buddy

3 hours ago, FinalChaos said:

Watched Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica
It was well okay..... don't really have much to say about it.

Next up is Hataraku Maou-sama, looking forward to this one. 

honestly i didnt think maou was that good, im not going to spoil but it wasn't up to my expectations

27 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

It's hard to start watching a series based on an ongoing light novel series though

Yeah I know this feeling. Most of the time you get to see only a part of the whole series and a sense of conclusion is absent.
But this is true for a lot of anime though and I've kinda come to accept this fact.   

Watched a few more episodes of Nozaki (which is just getting better), but realized I was getting close to finishing the whole series (which would be terrible!), so I picked up One Week Friends as well to slow myself down a bit. I'm quite enjoying One Week Friends - my powers of suspension of disbelief are immense, so I have no problem with the basic premise, but I can see where a lot of people would hate the show just for that; to each his own, though. I'm loving the way very ordinary, believable drama ensues from the extraordinary premise, and also I find the show's overall pacing to be quite admirable. I'm about 4 episodes in, I think, and looking forward to watching the rest. One thing I'm excited about is that I'm getting the vibe that this show will have a real "ending" moment, which usually does a lot for my ability to appreciate a show. Shows that resolve only a small amount of what they set up (with an implicit message of "go read the source material" :makina:) tend to bug me.

2 hours ago, Kogashuko said:

Serial Experiment Lain, very mind fucky.

Keep us posted - Lain has been sitting in my queue forever, since I adore the creator's other big show Haibane Renmei, but I just never feel motivated to watch it for some reason.

7 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Keep us posted - Lain has been sitting in my queue forever, since I adore the creator's other big show Haibane Renmei, but I just never feel motivated to watch it for some reason.

Lain obviously has nothing to do with Haibane Renmei, but if I could compare the two, I'd say that feeling of mystery and questions that are left in your head to think about is really present in both shows.

Lain deals with a world where humans and the internet are essentially connected, and it raises several questions about reality and who you are, it's really mind fuckey and I think the only way to properly interpret it is to read analysis online tbh.

Haibane Renmei is not straightforward but I think the themes of death, passing on, overcoming your demons, etc, really end up being self evident.

The biggest contrast between the two series is that Lain is much darker in tone with a questionable ending (as in, you're not really sure if it's a good or bad ending) whereas Haibane Renmei, despite having its sad moments, has a somewhat happy/bittersweet ending you can kind of come to terms with.

I wouldn't recommend Lain if you just told me you liked Haibane Renmei, but I can easily recommend Lain as a standalone anime because it's just one of those shows a person should watch at least once since it's so different and the themes it addresses are still present in our culture today.

Figured I'd leave my opinion on Lain in case you might not be convinced.

Currently watching http://myanimelist.net/anime/16742/Watashi_ga_Motenai_no_wa_Dou_Kangaetemo_Omaera_ga_Warui

I'm almost embarrassed about how my social interaction with other beings is sort of similar to this girl's, minus the inability to articulate words and constant sexual perversions. I can at least squeeze out a "good afternoon" or "good day" when needed (often at the wrong time of the day).

1 minute ago, Nosebleed said:

Lain obviously has nothing to do with Haibane Renmei, but if I could compare the two, I'd say that feeling of mystery and questions that are left in your head to think about is really present in both shows.

Lain deals with a world where humans and the internet are essentially connected, and it raises several questions about reality and who you are, it's really mind fuckey and I think the only way to properly interpret it is to read analysis online tbh.

Haibane Renmei is not straightforward but I think the themes of death, passing one, overcoming your demons, etc, really end up being self evident.

The biggest contrast between the two series is that Lain is much darker in tone with a questionable ending (as in, you're not really sure if it's a good or bad ending) whereas Haibane Renmei, despite having its sad moments, has a somewhat happy/bittersweet ending you can kind of come to terms with.

I wouldn't recommend Lain if you just told me you liked Haibane Renmei, but I can easily recommend Lain as a standalone anime because it's just one of those shows a person should watch at least once since it's so different and the themes it addresses are still present in our culture today.

Figured I'd leave my opinion on Lain in case you might not be convinced.

Thanks! To be clear, I wasn't expecting something even similar to Haibane Renmei, really, but rather just expecting something simultaneously thoughtful and enjoyable. That it's a little on the dark side... that's probably why I've been shying away from it, to tell the truth - I tend to like things that are a little brighter and more positive. I'll get to it someday, I'm sure, but I probably need to be suitably mentally prepared for it.

1 minute ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Currently watching http://myanimelist.net/anime/16742/Watashi_ga_Motenai_no_wa_Dou_Kangaetemo_Omaera_ga_Warui

I'm almost embarrassed about how my social interaction with other beings is sort of similar to this girl's, minus the inability to articulate words and constant sexual perversions. I can at least squeeze out a "good afternoon" or "good day" when needed (often at the wrong time of the day).

I'm very curious to see how you feel about this show after you're done with it. Personally... I liked it less and less with each passing episode, culminating in pretty much hating the show by the time I was done. It's kind of the screwed-up mirror version of Welcome to the NHK, which by the end I really loved.

Just now, Fred the Barber said:

I'm very curious to see how you feel about this show after you're done with it. Personally... I liked it less and less with each passing episode, culminating in pretty much hating the show by the time I was done. It's kind of the screwed-up mirror version of Welcome to the NHK, which by the end I really loved.

You should be aware that I started it with the belief that I won't be able to finish it. Whilst I can put up with it in manga, I'm absolutely intolerable to awkward situations in anime. If it's entirely comical I may be able to bear it, though.

Honestly, when I say it's dark, I don't mean it's depressing, because that's really not what it made me feel like, it's just... you need to pay attention to everything and it gets really weird.

It's not really happy and has some pretty grim looking scenes, but it's not an anime that would make me depressed, it's just... it's Lain.

I do agree with mental preparation though, you really should only watch it if you're prepared to pay attention :P

7 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

My god, that show is either hilarious (when you're laughing at the protagonist) or hilariously cringey (when you're laughing at the protagonist but internally you know you've been there).

4 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Thanks! To be clear, I wasn't expecting something even similar to Haibane Renmei, really, but rather just expecting something simultaneously thoughtful and enjoyable. That it's a little on the dark side... that's probably why I've been shying away from it, to tell the truth - I tend to like things that are a little brighter and more positive. I'll get to it someday, I'm sure, but I probably need to be suitably mentally prepared for it.

Welcome to the NHK was awesome. Ending could have been better though.