What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Right now i am watching on and off:

• Gintama
  • Hunter x Hunter (2011) [almost done]
  • Attack on Titans. [almost done]
  • great teacher onizuka (i am only at episode 5, it is hilarious but i am not so sure i will keep watching it)
  • Darker than Black (i have watched 5 episodes so far, i am confused as hell, i love the dark theme, i just didn't like : 

Hidden Content

Dunno how far you've gotten with Darker Than Black by now, but IMO it's one of those shows you should watch twice. The first time through, try to absorb as much as you can, and the second time through, it'll all make a whole lot of sense. Also, while the second season is nowhere near as good as the first (not IMO - this is objective truth), it is still worth watching. I really like this show overall - the first season is a great mix of action and psychology, with a tiny pinch of romance. There's also an OVA which bridges the first two seasons, but which is even more confusing than either of those. Also, I'm honestly still not sure exactly what the state of the world is at the end of season two. But that's fine. Darker Than Black is, at least, never dull.

I just wrapped up Love Hina. This is going to sound more negative than I actually feel about it, but my strongest emotion towards it is "Well, I'm glad that's done". I'm glad I watched it, but by today's standards it wasn't all that great; which is totally unfair to it. I imagine if I'd watched this 15 years ago when it came out, I would've absolutely loved it; now, it's probably mostly of historic interest. Naru is best girl, but Shinobu is a very close second. And while I normally like genki, Kaolla is proof that you can go too far in that direction and is just annoying.

Currently, I'm watching session two of Accel World (it's only ok; mostly I'm watching it because I started it and I want to see how the story wraps up) and periodically binge-watching a few episodes of Chihayafuru (which is approximately the best thing ever).

I just wrapped up Love Hina. This is going to sound more negative than I actually feel about it, but my strongest emotion towards it is "Well, I'm glad that's done". I'm glad I watched it, but by today's standards it wasn't all that great; which is totally unfair to it. 

I don't think it's a time period problem, the characters in the anime had so many problems and the romantic plot got pretty ridiculous in the end, mostly due to the awful pacing with most of the episodes amounting to nothing and then the last couple episodes just going "here's everything being solved".
The manga had a much more successful and well paced story, but overall Love Hina is still a very cliché riddled harem romcom.

I just wrapped up Love Hina. This is going to sound more negative than I actually feel about it, but my strongest emotion towards it is "Well, I'm glad that's done". I'm glad I watched it, but by today's standards it wasn't all that great; which is totally unfair to it. 

I don't think it's a time period problem, the characters in the anime had so many problems and the romantic plot got pretty ridiculous in the end, mostly due to the awful pacing with most of the episodes amounting to nothing and then the last couple episodes just going "here's everything being solved".
The manga had a much more successful and well paced story, but overall Love Hina is still a very cliché riddled harem romcom.

It certainly has a lot of problems, but I think the biggest things holding it back from being better are:

- Unwillingness to let any problem go beyond a single episode.

- Picking arbitrary focus characters for an episode.

While certainly some people can manage it, these writers clearly weren't capable of telling an interesting story in a 20-minute episode, most of the time. Maybe if they'd done multi-episode arcs they could've gotten a little more interesting depth for the characters. As it is, everything ends up being rather shallow.

I guess the age is mostly a problem for the art, though it isn't terrible (and the dub, if that matters to you; it is intolerable, so I quickly switched to the sub). However, although this is probably just my ignorance, I don't know of any good romcoms as old as Love Hina; I kind of had the impression this was the one to watch, which is a big part of why I picked it up in the first place. So I'm inclined to give them a small pass if the problem was that people just hadn't figured out how to make a decent romcom anime at the time.

There have existed several romcoms before Love Hina, although I guess the Love Hina formula was indeed quite unique for its time and set a precedent for future anime, so you got the influential part there, but I don't think that by itself excuses a lot of the issues the story hard.
But it is interesting to watch, even if not from a historical perspective.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few romcoms that came before Love Hina though:

• Ranma 1/2
  • Marmalade Boy
  • Kodomo no Omocha

The Sky Raker episode in Accel World was surprisingly good, and has me thinking a little bit better about the show. We'll see if they carry on that momentum, although I still feel any moment it'll be boarding the failtrain to Predictable Cackling Villain #2 and Lessons In Monologuing.

Marathoned ~8 episodes of Chihayafuru, so I'm somewhere around episode 20 now, I think. The arc right now isn't giving me awesome chills or anything, like the very first few episodes did, but there's a different kind of joy to it right now, watching Chihaya learn things from her team and her opponents. One of my favorite things about Chihayafuru is the way it mixes together so many different character types which aren't often seen together, and not only makes them play off each other, but also really learn and benefit from each other. While I guess most of that is standard for any sort of sports-related anime, or even shounen action shows, that last element usually isn't there to anything like this degree. Somewhat as a result of this, to my surprise, I think my favorite character is Mashima; I don't usually think of the spoiled pretty-boy rich kid as the underdog, but that's exactly how this show makes me feel about him.

I love Shõnen. Seriously I love it. There is something special when you watch a show. I don't know what but they are special. I picked up HunterXHunter a month ago. I have watched about 65 episodes so far, I am at the third arc (Greed Island) . It is excellent. Yes a bit cliché and stupid at times. But the development and feeling of improvement is actually touching. They aren't perfect from day one. They actually train and improve as time moves on. I know everything isn't perfect but let me be ignorant/don't care about some things.

HunterXHunter is great so far. The characters are great and I love the new ones introduced in every new arc.

The tragedy of Ken Akamatsu's works: all their anime adaptations are objectively shit.

About 4 episodes into Charlotte

Reading the front page reviews on MAL, I can agree with everything them '3' voters said

But I still am enjoying this show :Teeku:

Probably wouldn't though if I watched it 2months ago at the peak of my getting tired of animu

But ya, i like this show.

For the record though, Yurippe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Tomori

About 4 episodes into Charlotte

Reading the front page reviews on MAL, I can agree with everything them '3' voters said

But I still am enjoying this show :Teeku:

Probably wouldn't though if I watched it 2months ago at the peak of my getting tired of animu

But ya, i like this show.

For the record though, Yurippe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Tomori

Wait until ep 6, that's when the real "fuck everything in this show" starts. 

And once you're done with the show you can watch this video and laugh:

Wait until ep 6, that's when the real "fuck everything in this show" starts. 

Indeed.

I'm watching 2 eps / day at night in bed right before I go to sleep and so I took on 5 and 6, enjoyed 5, and was like "Oh hell no" to the cliffhanger in 6 so I watched the first five seconds of 7 then I turned off my tablet and cried myself to sleep.

Then I watched 7 earlier today cuz impatient, recried during the first 5 minutes, then proceeded to rip my hair out for the next 15 minutes before Tomori saves the day with one of the best "I was here the whole time" plot revelations and so I retract my previous statement and now its just Yurippe >>>>>> Tomori. 

Nao is virtually useless after episode 7 other than being bait for the protagonist to do things.
Her character was basically unexplored throughout the entire anime and the shit in episode 10 really shows how much love the creators had for her (*sarcasm*).
Same thing with Ayumi; such a good character with potential to be explored, gets forgotten about in 2 episodes.
Oh well, what can you do.

Meanwhile, I started watching Bakuman because I figured a nice shounen anime would be good for relaxing.
The characters are really nice and the overall tone and pacing feels well done, although I don't particularly like the romance as a plot device in this show, I do really enjoy the focus on manga making and it seems like they'll keep it that way so I guess I can put the romance thing behind me.
The underlying themes of friendship are probbly what I appreciate the most.
Overall, I'm quite excited to watch all 3 seasons of Bakuman and then likely read the manga.

A friend has been bugging me about watching Tatami Galaxy so I should be starting that up soon. In other news, I've been watching Monogatari Final Season and I randomly stopped watching Himouto for some reason. Should be getting back to it soon but Monogatari is the only show I'm watching as it airs. The conclusion of the recent arc left me with feels.

I just started watching Rokka no Yuusha,and after 1 episodes, I can't really tell if I like or dislike the MC,he acts all cocky,but he can improvise pretty good in combat( against humans at least, I don't know if those tricks of his will work on fiends or not), but its kind of nice to see a MC that sticks out instead of just generic good guy MC that tries to save the world....oh wait...hes pretty close to that, except he has a cocky attitude, i'll have to watch more to be able to decide whether i'll like him or not. 

Have exams tommorow. 

Was getting bored, suddenly remembered that I hadn't watched much anime lately. Randomly decided to watch Durarara!
The first episode was pretty good, definitely managed to get me interested. The characters are all interesting too. For some reason I don't want it to become full-blown supernatural, would be better if such powers remained mysterious and rare.

Stopped after ep 1, as I realized that isn't what one is supposed to be doing just before an exam.......

AAaah, I can so relate to that. I also have that horrible habit of starting a new series right before a exam week.

I managed to start Nadia in the blue water right before my exam week. It's got really has a bit of a gibly vibe, at least the start of it. which kind of makes sense since they were involved with the series.

Finished up Chihayafuru. It was damn good, and easily earned a spot as a new favorite. I can't believe there are only two seasons of this, especially given where Season 2 leaves you; I need Season 3 right now. I'm seriously considering picking up reading manga (which I've never done before) just to continue the story, except there's obviously regret at the end of that road, since the manga is still ongoing; and it seems only the first two volumes are licensed for English release.

It's possible that part of my appreciation is that I actually like sports anime and haven't realized it yet. I did rather like Oofuri when I watched it sometime back, and that's the only other sports anime I've ever watched. However, that show was certainly nowhere near this level.

Chihayafuru delivers on a lot of fronts, with the overall sports vehicle being only a single part of the overall picture. Great characters, strong focus on romance and romantic tension (including a fantastic love triangle), excellent steadily-progressing plot, good pacing within episodes, gorgeous art (reminiscent of Kimi Ni Todoke; maybe this is just a thing for josei manga adaptations?), solid soundtrack... it's really hitting on all cylinders. I suspect the only reason this show isn't more popular, especially in the US, is the unusual sport it focuses on - I admit I found it a bit weird when I was reading summaries about the show. If the subject sounds boring, well, give it a couple episodes anyway - I guarantee you'll get hooked like I did.

Picked up Gakkougurashi :makina::makina: :sachi:

I read the synopsis, completely forgot about it midway in Ep. 1, then was like "Oh, right..."

I had a friend talk about the show saying the twist at the end was unexpected, and I watched without knowing which one he was talking about. The end blew my mind because I had no idea.

I loved that anime a whole lot, hope you like it too. The last 3 episodes are outstanding. I could go on and on about praise but I'll just leave it at that :sachi: