What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Finished Seitokai Yakuindomo S2 and its OVAs.

I guess that ending was to be expected. Though the little tease at the end about meeting again in the future makes hope live within me. Future, please have SYD S3. 

What I love about this show is, of course, the sex jokes. Not only that, but the fact that most of the characters that act the 'straight man' role actually get the joke. That's good. It just sucks whenever you pull off that kind of joke and nobody gets it. You're left looking like a fool. Of course, it doesn't really matter if they get it or not. You'll still look like one at the end. :makina:

Overall, that was enjoyable. Loved the jokes. It was an improvement. I like the second season's OP better. Also, I sometimes feel that most of their budget goes to giving 'Suzu's head' great effects. You can't deny it. Suzu's head has some mighty effects.

Oh, also, I really like Uomi. Tsuda, you lucky guy.

Will start Pupa next.

Hopefully, Nosebleed's a trustworthy guy.

Seitokai Yakuindomo started getting pretty repetitive in S2 and a lot of the jokes started falling flat.

It should have stayed an OVA series because those adapt the best jokes while keeping the show fresh with a bigger interval in between episodes.

While I enjoyed season 1 I quickly understood how stale sex jokes can get if you repeat them too much, because at some point you'll just end up recycling a lot of the previous ones.

It wasn't a bad season, just didn't have as much charm.

I don't know why on earth you're watching Pupa but may god be with you.

I guess it would depend on how much you enjoy those kind of jokes.

...Yeah, I don't really get tired of them. It does have its dull moments, but that's something that's found in a lot of shows. Once again, personal opinion, I guess.

I decided to watch Pupa because I have it in my stash and your blog post inspired me to do so.

It's not that I can't appreciate the sex jokes, it's just that they started reusing the same gags way too much and it started growing stale because after a while there's just not many original and good jokes, most of them were just average and reused a lot of elements. In each episode there were 3 or 4 good jokes for every 10 "eh" jokes.

I also watched it when it aired and not immediately after the first season so the hype probably died down by the time.

I will say the quality of the show improved, but the comedy really felt more stale in S2. Even the level of dirtyness seemed to have been toned down.

And if you read the manga like I do, it grows even more stale if you try to marathon it. 

It made me realize that series is just not meant to be marathoned, at least not if you want to appreciate the gags, you need to know how many of them does it take for it to get boring, and then stop reading and not force yourself to keep going, otherwise the jokes that come after just stop impacting you in any way.

It made me realize that series is just not meant to be marathoned, at least not if you want to appreciate the gags, you need to know how many of them does it take for it to get boring, and then stop reading and not force yourself to keep going, otherwise the jokes that come after just stop impacting you in any way.

So I just watched episode 9 of Yamato 2199, "A Clockwork Prisoner" and I want to write down my thoughts on it real quick.

This is probably my favorite episode so far in terms direction. While the themes of "can robots have feelings," and "what does it mean to be human" have obviously been done to death in these kind of stories and there's not really much to take away from them anymore, this episode does an awesome job at establishing and maintaining a mournful and frantic tone that really makes the episode for me.  Speaking visually, there are a few absolutely gorgeous and eerie shots at the end with Analyzer standing on the bridge of the Yamato against the backdrop of a star. There's also some pretty cool cuts to a radio dial while everything is being wrapped up and book-ended.

The thing that really made the episode was how Alter was characterized though. He was inarticulate and like a child. In a lot of these kind of stories, like Blade Runner for example, the robots are designed to be human, they're very communicative, and you get the feeling they're trying to convince the other characters that they're more than just circuitry and programming. Here, it's the opposite. There is not a question of subterfuge. We don't get much, other than the sense that Alter is trying to make sense of things. He never tries to justify his existence to the viewer and during his escape, he's just frantically moving forward leaving the other characters to fill in his motive.

Combine this with the composition of the episode - the music, all the little cool shots, the whole "friend" thing in Alter's task logs, and the "Heart of Observer" parable that's related throughout the story - it was an episode that really left an impression on me.

/end fanboy

your lie in april.  Finished it in pretty much one sitting.  What a terribly overhyped piece of hot garbage.  The protagonist is not someone i could ever sympathize with, since he doesn't seek professional help, meaning he likely enjoys the attention he recieves for it.  The female protagonist is pretty cool, but i knew that since she was the one character that i liked she was going to have a death flag of some sort, surprise!  she did.  Every other scene was like watching an episode of a soap opera, they had to rack the drama up to the maximum levels, to where it's fucking absurd how much dirt they kick up over non-issues, and the other characters i just did not like at all.  Especially that whiny bitchy best friend, who was slinging mud at every chance she got.  And then there's the completely inappropriate comedy.  The timing in breaking jokes was worse than a black guy showing up to a neighborhood bbq only to find out the cul-de-sac was exclusively kkk members.  It just did not mesh at fucking all.  Then again, ever since i've discovered vns i've become quite the stickler for something that usually runs for 30 minutes and is wrapped up in 13-24 episodes.

Finish watching the last episode of Hello! Kiniro Mosaic, didn't know whether to laugh or cry while watching it especially in the first and last 5 minutes.

Karen is awesomely cute as always though

Since I'm pacing myself with Yamato 2199, I started watching Hestia in the mean time.

There's a novelty in seeing the mechanical side of RPGs played (relatively) straight as real world phenomena . Also, fan service.

I take it you've not watched Log Horizon?

IMO, I loved Log Horizon, but something felt... Meh, about it in the second season. I feel like it didn't really succeed in getting its point across maybe? It just felt like extra episodes to me, I dunno.

On another note, "Fucking Plastic Memories" is all I can say right now.

I don't wanna see the finale.

Only a single episode, but the conceit there is that all that RPG stuff is due to being stuck in an MMO, right? 

Yes, but for a long time they don't really touch on the topics of going back to the real world and the reasons why they even ended up there, so there's a lot of "characters in a med-fan world that works with RPG mechanics translated to a real world".

I'm not sure exactly how DanMachi does things though, it's probably different (ie no floating screens with life bars and stuff), but translating RPG mechanics in a tangible world is definitely a theme of LH.

And that's the end of the "first season" of Aikatsu (I say that because it doesn't really end but it is the ending of the major arc).

50 episodes sure went by fast, it took me less than a week to watch them just because I had so much fun each time.

I liked seeing the cast grow and all the friendship, it's a very healing show that anybody can watch and enjoy.

The writing might not be impressive given how cheesy every turn of events is, but it's a kids show so it's not like I'd pick on that too much.

I will say I thought in episode 50 the ending should have been

Ichigo winning instead of Mizuki. 

She went against Mizuki twice and I felt that she really deserved to win the 2nd time because next year Mizuki will be graduating :/

I know that the show is trying to tell me "it's okay to lose bla bla bla" but it came off a little as Ash from Pokemon never winning the pokemon league.

Ichigo had so many times where she lost, it'd only be fair for her to finally surpass the person she looked up to after 50 episodes.

Though this is a very minor complaint, I guess I shouldn't expect this show to ever abandon its friendship based roots.

In the end, after all was said and done, I still ended up like

Tumblr_mcr43kdP8g1rwhzalo1_500.gif

Seriously, 50 episodes of friendship building really take a toll when you pull something like that ending.

The feels.

Overall, after 50 episodes, I'm rating this show 10/10

I know it's not comparable to most other shows for older demographics, but the sheer amount of fun I had watching it, the character development, the setting, the music, the pacing, Johnny-sensei, everything was just so well mixed in together that I just can't point my finger at this show and hate it because it really made me happy to watch it.

Here's to hoping the next 50 episodes are just as fun. I'm a bit scared because the cast will likely be changing and I grew so fond of the original cast (and the ships, but mostly just the friendship among them to bo honest) that it's going to be tough seeing them appart :(

But hopefully the anime manages to make a good transition.

I know after episode 100 things took an even bigger turn, but my body is ready to go through with every single episode of this show.

AIKATSU! AIKATSU! AIKATSU!

Finished Mondaiji in one sitting.

Well, well. Letticia is a good loli. That's all I have to say.

Best girl? Probably Kuro Usagi or Kasukabe You.

I do hope they give this a second season or something.

It's nice seeing a terribly powerful character from the start. He doesn't even need to depend on plot armor to survive battles.

Also, You's dance in the ED is 10/10.

I also started watching Mikakunin de Shinkoukei.

Holy god. Kobeni was everything that I expected her to be. She's a 10/10 girl. No doubt about that.

Enjoying the show as it is right now. I hope this continues to be a fun ride.

...Oh yeah. I almost forgot. Sat through Pupa yesterday.

I don't even want to comment about it.

It's a waste of post space. Have this instead.

Edit: I thought I was missing episodes for that show, but apparently, I wasn't. Holy god, that was bad. Not even my 'supposed to be able to tolerate everything attitude' could save it from the monstrosity it is.

I also started watching Mikakunin de Shinkoukei.

Holy god. Kobeni was everything that I expected her to be. She's a 10/10 girl. No doubt about that.

Enjoying the show as it is right now. I hope this continues to be a fun ride.

Mikakunin is very consistently enjoyable. Chances are, if you like what you're watching now, you'll continue to for the remainder of the anime. Also, the last couple episodes are the best. It was a feels trip and a half for me. :kosame: I love the romance in this series too.

Mikakunin is very consistently enjoyable. Chances are, if you like what you're watching now, you'll continue to for the remainder of the anime. Also, the last couple episodes are the best. It was a feels trip and a half for me. :kosame: I love the romance in this series too.

I'm immensely enjoying it. I guess I'll like it 'till the end. It's really nice.

You better not be lying about it. :sachi:

Finished Mondaiji in one sitting.

Well, well. Letticia is a good loli. That's all I have to say.

Best girl? Probably Kuro Usagi or Kasukabe You.

I do hope they give this a second season or something.

It's nice seeing a terribly powerful character from the start. He doesn't even need to depend on plot armor to survive battles.

Also, You's dance in the ED is 10/10.

All I have to say to this is read the books if you enjoyed the series.  The anime really fits the definition of an advertisement to a god damn tee.  They literally stop the anime when all the real stuff starts to actually happen.  

As for best girl? Its obviously You, she has that bitchingly stylized overcoat, 'nuff said.  As for Izayoi, I don't know whether to call his overpoweredness plot armor in and of itself.

I'll be honest, I'm finding it really difficult to say ANYTHING about the show because so little happens in comparison to the rest of the series.

I actually just back to backed NGNL and Mondaiji for like the third time, and I keep coming to the same conclusion that Mondaiji is simply a better story than NGNL in every single possible respect.  The characters' struggle in Mondaiji just simply feels more real because of the effort they put in compared to NGNL which in my opinion is a series of asspulls.  

I've decided to start going through the precentury catalogue to knock out anime that I think I would enjoy.  First up on the chopping block is Slayers.  I'm seriously looking forward to seeing how this plays out.  I think it will be pretty entertaining to see how much things have changed from what I remember.

I finished Symphogear G just a few days ago, and am watching an ep of Katanagatari whenever I feel like it/have some time, currently at 5/12

Other than those, only a bunch of the shows airing this season (or that were airing, last week of the season now and all)

All I have to say to this is read the books if you enjoyed the series.  The anime really fits the definition of an advertisement to a god damn tee.  They literally stop the anime when all the real stuff starts to actually happen.  

This lol. I'll get to it once I feel like it. It does feel like an advertisement, especially the last episode. Too bad.

Continued watching Mikakunin de Shinkoukei. I'm currently at Episode 8.

Can't say I didn't expect anything out of the normal due to the title, but I'm still shocked. I thought the guy just had some ninja skills or something due to living in the mountains. I guess not. Oh well. Still enjoying it. Also shocked that blondie and girl with green hair were also some kind of other lifeform. Not a problem though. Also, these segments between Kobeni and Hakuya always tug at my heartstrings. <3

Also, started watching Tokyo Ravens.

First episode was 'wtf is happening'.

I'm surprised that someone 'died' this early in the anime (episode 2), but I believe she'll be able to return. Since, well, isn't she a shikigami? I'll just see for myself.

Ended up getting caught up on Hestia.

Fun show. The fight scene with the minotaur was well-executed and really good, quite unexpectedly so. I also like how Bell's attire is constantly changing. It's a nice touch to the whole "adventurer" thing.

Still watching about and episode of Yamato 2199 a day. On episode 12 now.