What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Started on Bakuman last night, watched 2 episodes so far and it's enjoyable, it looks like it'll get better and I hope it does, the characters are decent enough, if it only wasn't for

the awkward moment where he screams about getting married even though they have barly talked.

But oh well that's part of the charm, I can imagine that I'll finish this anime but it's probably gonna take me a while.

I'm not trying to say that ~monogatari isn't well-written or that it doesn't have any entertainment value, I'm saying it doesn't work as an anime. I'm not gonna be a jerk and say your opinion is invalid or anything like that (when it comes down to it, entertainment is subjective), I'm just stating my own and backing it up with objective statements.

I agree that this series is not for everybody, it absolutely is not, but saying it's not good because it doesn't fit the medium or doesn't have a lot going on screen really reallyyyy irks me. The Monogatari series is a product created from amazing author working with an amazing director to create an amazing story. It's a journey through some of the most amazing prose, coupled with some of the most amazing visuals, it doesn't need to have crazy fast paced action, it's meant to make the viewer witness a journey created mainly by words.

I'm not trying to say you're in the wrong for liking this. Seriously, not at all. I just saw Abyssal Monkey post something that I agreed with and I felt like voicing my opinion along with him. But I can understand how you feel, and I actually kinda regret typing that, because it's never any fun to rain in on peoples' parade this strongly. Not only is it entirely pointless, but it tends to invoke irrational thinking that bars the argument from making any progress (it happens to me; it happens to the best of us).

But try to understand that my pride won't allow me to just simply back away when someone attacks my opinion.

I'd rather end this argument right here and now to avoid unnecessary stress for either of us, but I'll continue if you want to argue against the points I made.

But this is unique in a good way, it's filled with clever writing and dialogue to enhance the experience that is the story they're telling.
Also they do show you the meaningful stuff happening on screen, you can't say literally nothing happens, it's just that most of the exposure occurs in the form of dialogue, but that dialogue is quite cleverly crafted.

As someone else put it: "Bakemonogatari" is essentially a verbal performance with visual support.

Heck yeah, I think it's pretty damn clever too. But if there's nothing else to enhance the dialogue than just voice acting and visuals, then what would make an anime adaption more suitable than a VN adaption? The main reason an anime would be preferred over a VN is that it has a wider audience, making it easier to market the original. A VN, however, would be much more enjoyable because it'd have the narrative freedom to add more depth to the dialogue and allow for visual and audio enhancements.

It was an experimental series that succeeded. One can not deny the clever writing that went into the show, sadly a lot of the cleverness is lost in subtitles, no matter how good these subtitles may be (and any fansub will tell you the same).

As a project, unquestionably. It managed to hit high marks with sales, has a fantastic fanbase, and it can leave an impression on just about anybody. While I feel that it definitely deserves the success it had with its experimental setup, I still won't consider approving it.
I'm more than aware of the negative impacts that fansubbing can have on anime that puts emphasis on dialogue, but that's not really related to anything I said about the limitations involved with adapting this kind of work to anime.

Whenever someome tells me Bakemonogatari is not good because there's not a lot of action happening on screen, a kitten dies.

This series is one of the most well thought out anime in recent years and it executes the theme brilliantly, the visuals are beautiful and they serve as a support for the awesome dialogues, so yes this anime does utilize visuals more cleverely than most I would even say, it's just that unlike most anime, this one is not about fast paced action or anything like that.

But that's exactly what anime shines for. It doesn't even have to be thrilling, action-intensive, thought-provoking, or dramatic, it just has to have progressive events happening for it to work. This is why direction is needed in anime and not so much for any other medium, because of the continuous array of scenarios that progress the story/setting/characters and the necessity to transition them fluidly. Have you ever heard of a director working on giving a book better fluidity? That would be pretty nonsensical; a capable writer is more than able to manage that with effective narration. Leaving the marketing details aside, it's completely unnecessary for ~monogatari to be an anime

And the sheer amount of Monogatari fans probably shows why this series is so good.

There have been times where I thought some popular anime aren't all they're cracked up to be. I can be pretty pessimistic sometimes.

I've watched the first two episodes of the second season of JJBA: Stardust Crusaders. Not a bad intro for a new character, though I hope he doesn't become this series' equivalent of Scrappy Doo. Don't like the new opening much compared to the previous ones, though I like the new ending even if it is a bit surprising to not get anything with vocals. The music and imagery it shows does have my impending character death senses tingling though... :unsure:

I am starting to watch Hataraku Maou-sama now. The only things I know about it is that it´s from a light novel and that one character is a waitress whose breasts look great when they lie on a tray.

Let´s see how this one turns out...

I found it enjoyable, sure wish there was a second season... :(

Just finished Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Quite the interesting comedy, it reminded me of Paniponi Dashi minus the absurd amount of pop culture references.

The characters were all super likeable, i legitimately didn't hate a single one of them.

I also think Zetsubou Sensei got himself a great harem, at some point this show felt more like a romcom, a good one though.

Best grill title definitely goes to the stalker girl.

It's definitely hard to look back on on the show and analyze it since it's so episodic, but i found all the quirkiness very entertaining and all the despair to be rather satisfying.

It wasn't over the top, but the gags were effective and kept me entertained.

Will definitely keep watching the sequels and probably read the manga.

絶望した!

OK, Hataraku Maou-Sama finished. Conclusion: Ashiya Chi-chan best girl, Emi annoying, Hope for second season

On a sidenote, I really need some lolis now so I decided to choose between Kiniro Mosaic and Ro-Kyu-Bu, still not sure which one I will watch (first).

On a sidenote, I really need some lolis now so I decided to choose between Kiniro Mosaic and Ro-Kyu-Bu, still not sure which one I will watch (first).

Kiniro Mosaic if you just want cute girls doing cute things

Ro-Kyu-Bu if you want cute lolis doing ero things (and playing basketball).

Kiniro Mosaic if you just want cute girls doing cute things

Ro-Kyu-Bu if you want cute lolis doing ero things (and playing basketball).

Well I would actually prefer Ro-Kyu-Bu right now, I´m just hestitating because the main character is male, which I don´t really like that much in connection with a loli cast.

I´ll probably just flip a coin to decide it and watch the other one afterwards  :wafuu:

Watched latest episodes of DanMachi, Plastic Memories, and Nisekoi:.

I love Bell's reactions. Whoever's voicing him, he's doing a great job at his wails and stuff. It's one of the things I like about DanMachi, other than the girls, of course.

stsbjJG.jpg

Also, this single statement made Aiz prettier in my eyes.

She was pretty cute from the start though.

PJelB9O.png

Zetsubou Sensei's jokes seem to be becoming more political.

Also the show seems to have taken some toll in animation quality in the 2nd season. Or maybe it's just me being paranoid and not differentiating Shinbou artistic direction with lower quality animation.

Watched the OVAs for Corpse Party: Tortured Souls. I usually try to avoid violent and gory anime ever since I saw Elfen Lied. But this one was actually pretty good. I was very impressed, especially with the ending. The best part is that no animals were brutally murdered *cough* elfen lied *cough cough* ANYWAY, it really made me wanna play the game. Usually the original source material is better than the anime adaption, so I have high hopes for the game. 

In terms of adaptations, the Corpse Party anime sucked really badly, it came up with an original ending and deviated from the source material just for the sake of showing gratuitous violence and gore.

In terms of being a standalone OVA series, F*CK YEAH GUTS FLYING EVERYWHERE.

The game is not as violent as the anime but the story is much superior and offers a proper closure.

Well damn, here I am thinking it was good. Probably because I haven't played the game yet. Sucks that the game isn't as gory as the anime though. I figured out, through watching the anime, that I kinda don't mind gore... As long as it's a person getting killed and not a dog... *cough* ELFEN F*CKING LIED *coughity cough cough effing cough*

You can kill all the people you want. Hell, kill a child for all I care. BUT YOU NEVER EVER EVERRRR KILL THE DOG! I can't even tell you how much I hate the mangaka for that.

Did I forget to mention how much I hate Elfen Lied?

Elfen Lied still stands as one of my favorite series, i can not sympathize :P

I'm not a dog person though, owning a dog is one of the worst mistakes i've ever made, i don't know how people deal with those annoying creatures, so seeing one die in a show doesn't bug me at all. Though i think the impact it had on Lucy was really sad to witness.

Regarding Corpse Party, the game doesn't have as many gorey CGs but t does still have all the descriptions and the key stuff is all there, i consider it superior to the anime just because of the immersion factor it provides, i think you'll like it.

Well damn, here I am thinking it was good. Probably because I haven't played the game yet. Sucks that the game isn't as gory as the anime though. I figured out, through watching the anime, that I kinda don't mind gore... As long as it's a person getting killed and not a dog... *cough* ELFEN F*CKING LIED *coughity cough cough effing cough*

You can kill all the people you want. Hell, kill a child for all I care. BUT YOU NEVER EVER EVERRRR KILL THE DOG! I can't even tell you how much I hate the mangaka for that.

Did I forget to mention how much I hate Elfen Lied?

So you're essentially like this when watching anything with a dog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOcDhyhZO5g

Bwahahahahahaha!! I'm dead xD 

But yes, I am. Before I watch anything gory or violent with a dog in it, I look it up on doesthedogdie.com or something like that. I love dogs especially, but any animal being killed is sad. I don't like it. I don't know how someone can stare at a scene like that with a straight face. Honestly that's the only reason why I hate elfen lied. I also felt the ending was rushed.

The ending was actually kinda what killed it for me. It's most likely because I read the manga before watching the anime, but I felt kinda betrayed that it couldn't be a complete adaption. I mean, seriously, Elfen Lied's anime was damn-near flawless as an adaption up until the last episode, but it was cut short and given a rushed ending. It would have been brilliant if it were 2-cour. The ending in the manga had such great depth and complexity, and yet the anime never got to that. :(

But even though it's not that intensive in the manga, the dog still dies. You might still wanna avoid it. :P

Elfen Lied's ending wasn't that rushed, they simply ended it where it should have continued, the adaptation altered it to fit the time slot, so it's actually fairly decent for what it is and provides enough closure for anime only watchers.

I assure you Gantz fans would take Elfen Lied's ending over the abomination that was Gantz S2.

The ending was actually kinda what killed it for me. It's most likely because I read the manga before watching the anime, but I felt kinda betrayed that it couldn't be a complete adaption. I mean, seriously, Elfen Lied's anime was damn-near flawless as an adaption up until the last episode, but it was cut short and given a rushed ending. It would have been brilliant if it were 2-cour. The ending in the manga had such great depth and complexity, and yet the anime never got to that. :(

But even though it's not that intensive in the manga, the dog still dies. You might still wanna avoid it. :P

Gantz is very gruesome and dark, lots and lots of deaths. Not sure if animals die but I think at some point a dog did, though i don't remember how.

Beware though the 2nd Gantz season has the most horrible ending ever, just read the manga from that point on if you care for the story.

As for Elfen Lied (manga ending spoilers)

Lucy is killed at the end of the manga