What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

It's weird. It sounds like you liked the same things I liked about it, but got an order of magnitude less appreciation out of those same things. If I ever want to cry, I just turn this on and wait for 0:54:

Feels are about as subjective as it gets, I suppose. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it as much as I did.

I enjoyed it, no worries. The OP and ED are great, but it didn't exceed my expectations. It was a cute story, nonetheless, and I have no regrets watching it. I just wanted to shout at Menma to eat something while they were all together though, since they were bashing Jintan. Don't get me wrong though. While the ending was, indeed, predictable, I still think it was a very powerful scene. Only that it was more of sweet than feelsy for me. I still shed some tears though.

Because you finished it in one sitting / fell victim to the typical overhyped 'it wasn't THAT good' trend   :makina:

This probably ain't the reason, since I watched Jojo in one sitting and I was 'dear God this must be the manliest show on Earth' and I really liked it. You get my point. Now, watch Jojo as well.

I think a lot of it has to do with how predictable the whole show is.

The ending didn't surprise me at all. It was sad, sure, but could have been spotted from miles away. And the formula of "all friends blamed themselves" is also really overused and not particularly inspiring.

So while the anime did use the tropes to its best abilities and succeeded for the most part, anyone that's seen enough anime will probably not find AnoHana to be the most amazing thing eve as anyone with a brain can probably predict how the events will unfold from the get go.

My case doesn't seem to be with predictability. More like I had a problem with that scene in the temple near the end. I thought that things went too fast that it actually ended on Episode 11, right after that very scene. I would've liked it if they fleshed out those motives of theirs a little more, just to see how deep the scars really run in them.

Anyway, moving on.

I recently started Denpa Onna to Seishun no Otoko, or whatever the title is. I've been thinking that Erio is one of the cutest girls I've ever seen in the time I've been living, and I am not disappointed. The first episode left me wondering what the heck's happening. Not 'till Episode 3 do I start liking the show. It feels as if it just started on that episode, really.

I like what Makoto did with Erio. Snapping her out of her delusional alien theory regarding her loss of memory was a really nice thing to do. The scene where Erio introduces herself once again to Makoto was something that was really beautiful. Like, really. It's a beautiful scene. I cannot explain why, but it's simply beautiful. I love that scene. Anyway, I'm still in Episode 5, so opinions about the show may change. But for now, I'm loving the concept of the story. The only thing I'm wondering right now is what happened in those six months that Erio disappeared? Were the aliens really fake?

I like the OP and ED of this one too.

Since I have started watching anime there's been quite a few animes that ive had a hard time finishing, I have even dropped some. But than the one comes up, over and over again, it always does, and it makes it all worth it, your life worth it, everything worth it. The one for me at the moment is Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso, aka Your Lie in April. I had heard it was good but god i'm enjoying it.

I recently started Denpa Onna to Seishun no Otoko, or whatever the title is. I've been thinking that Erio is one of the cutest girls I've ever seen in the time I've been living, and I am not disappointed. The first episode left me wondering what the heck's happening. Not 'till Episode 3 do I start liking the show. It feels as if it just started on that episode, really.

I like what Makoto did with Erio. Snapping her out of her delusional alien theory regarding her loss of memory was a really nice thing to do. The scene where Erio introduces herself once again to Makoto was something that was really beautiful. Like, really. It's a beautiful scene. I cannot explain why, but it's simply beautiful. I love that scene. Anyway, I'm still in Episode 5, so opinions about the show may change. But for now, I'm loving the concept of the story. The only thing I'm wondering right now is what happened in those six months that Erio disappeared? Were the aliens really fake?

I like the OP and ED of this one too.

Man this was one show I couldn't enjoy.

The pacing was meh, the events weren't all that interesting and it was just overall bland.

I think Erio is freaking adorable, but the show as a whole left me yawning, which is a shame because I really wanted to enjoy it.

I might pick it up again now that I'm more of a Shaft fanboy than I was when I first saw it.

Man this was one show I couldn't enjoy.

The pacing was meh, the events weren't all that interesting and it was just overall bland.

I think Erio is freaking adorable, but the show as a whole left me yawning, which is a shame because I really wanted to enjoy it.

I might pick it up again now that I'm more of a Shaft fanboy than I was when I first saw it.

Let's see how it'll go for me.

I haven't watched the whole thing, so opinions may change by the end of my watching.

It may not though, since my tolerance is pretty high.

Anyone here besides me that is getting irritated with how Code Geass: Akito the Exiled takes a long to come out? I don't know the reason tbh but.. Come on. I myself think that it has a good all around development.

I almost forgot about this, actually. I waited quite a while for K: Missing Kings, so I'm not really bothered by how long stuff takes to get subbed nowadays.

I almost forgot about this, actually. I waited quite a while for K: Missing Kings, so I'm not really bothered by how long stuff takes to get subbed nowadays.

On the case of Code Geass: Akito the Exiled, it still isn't released even in the Jap version until now. Finally, they have a preview for it now and this year, I think they'll finally release it. If I'm guessing right the subbed version would appear 3 or so months after the original release. (If I recall correctly, it took 3 mos. for ep.2 to be subbed but it still depends on the one doing the sub)

On the case of Code Geass: Akito the Exiled, it still isn't released even in the Jap version until now. Finally, they have a preview for it now and this year, I think they'll finally release it. If I'm guessing right the subbed version would appear 3 or so months after the original release. (If I recall correctly, it took 3 mos. for ep.2 to be subbed but it still depends on the one doing the sub)

MAL claims it was released/aired or whichever on the 2nd of this month. As to who's doing the subbing, it looks like the first two were done by different groups, so who knows. Wouldn't be surprised if it's longer than 3 if that's the case, though.

Has anyone here ever seen Seitokai no Yakuindomo? I heard it was hilarious but I'm not too fond of crude humor. Should I watch?

I say give the first couple episodes a try. I'm not typically a fan of crude humor either but I loved it. The anime is about 75% sex jokes and 25% short people jokes.

Has anyone here ever seen Seitokai no Yakuindomo? I heard it was hilarious but I'm not too fond of crude humor. Should I watch?

Mildly funny, though it's a show solely centered about sex jokes.

Some are funny, some fall flat.

The OVAs are the best as they collect thr funnier jokes.

Season 1 is fun, season 2 is more of the same.

I'd say the main issue one can run into is the humor drying up.

As someone who's read the manga i can say that marathoning it might not be the best idea in the world, unless you really do love crude humor, which you don't seem to love, so maybe consider watching a couple episodes and if it didn't pick up for you then it probably won't later either since there's nothing much that changes outside of cast additions.

I'm not watching any right now, so to speak, but I did just binge watch over the last two days, SNAFU. I'm fully caught up now, and quite frankly, for some reason or another that I can't really pinpoint (weird), I greatly enjoyed it. 

I -am- considering re-watching ALL of the Monogatari series, though. That stuff is beautiful. Brilliance. 

Just watched K: Missing Kings.

I liked it a lot. It was as good as the anime and I for one did like the anime. 

The animation was gold, it was pretty refreshing to see some Unlimited Budgets for something other than Ufotable.

The movie sets up perfectly for what would be the final arc. Can't wait for the next season.

I say give the first couple episodes a try. I'm not typically a fan of crude humor either but I loved it. The anime is about 75% sex jokes and 25% short people jokes.

Mildly funny, though it's a show solely centered about sex jokes.

Some are funny, some fall flat.

The OVAs are the best as they collect thr funnier jokes.

Season 1 is fun, season 2 is more of the same.

I'd say the main issue one can run into is the humor drying up.

As someone who's read the manga i can say that marathoning it might not be the best idea in the world, unless you really do love crude humor, which you don't seem to love, so maybe consider watching a couple episodes and if it didn't pick up for you then it probably won't later either since there's nothing much that changes outside of cast additions.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try. I definitely won't watch it all in one go but I tend to watch one anime at a time so hopefully I won't need a break from it.

Oh, the movie's subbed now? Sweet, I'll give it a go.

Even though I was kind of disinterested in it at first, the TV series really started to pick up towards the end. Looking forward to the sequel as well.

Yeah the movie has a good story progression unlike the first half of the season. And the ost is also great.

Finished watching Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko.

Overall, I liked the show.

Erio is 10/10. Meme is 10/10. As expected of meme. :holo:

Besides that, I liked how the story went. I like how normal it is, and I liked the characters as well. Normal is a good thing once in a while. I guess I like how it reminded me of everyday life. Although considering the latter part of the series, I don't know if you can still call that normal lol. That last part got me real good though. I saw it coming, but it would've been nice if it wasn't true. But inevitably, it was. I just can't explain why I liked it so. I also liked the episode where Meme did stuff for Granny. That scene struck me as nice too. The overall feeling is really nice, and makes me want to go outside and do stuff. Because, well, y'know. Stuff. I suck at explaining stuff, especially something like this.

The animation was nice, of course. I also like the seishun point sequence in the end of each episode. It was nice seeing that. OP and ED really fit the show, imo. I liked the OP and ED very much. Though the first time I watched the OP, it was plain weird.

Overall, it wasn't 'omg this is the best' good, but it was nice. I don't regret watching it.

Also, this reminds me so much of Meme.

Or should it be Araragi?

:mare:

OGGHnnh.jpg

Hime-sama Goyoujin.  What a zany show!  It really was a blast.  This is not a "4 girls crack jokes to each other" comedy, no sir.  This is "situation gets more and more ridiculous until it's insane".  Reminds me of the heady days of Dragon Half and Bannou-bunka Neko-musume Nuku-nuku

Oh, and before that, I watched Arpeggio of Blue Steel (it's a more sophisticated Kancolle)

I -am- considering re-watching ALL of the Monogatari series, though. That stuff is beautiful. Brilliance. 

Am I the only person who really dislikes -monogatari?  Its probably because it has like no action and is all semantics, but I found the walls of text in Bakemono completely unjustified for a medium that is meant to show rather than tell.  Seriously, when over half your show is characters doing unmeaningful things with the focus being the talking, I hardly find it worth the effort to watch instead of read or listen.  I don't care how "SHAFT"-y it is, it failed the minimum benchmark of using the medium properly.

I started watching Arslan Senki.  I saw the fantasy tag which gave me false hopes of something actually fantasy instead of historical fiction.  They mention a dragon at one point, but then immediately sink that ship by calling that rumor a lie.  I never cared much for history or geography, so I might drop this one depending on how it plays out.

Also, I can't help but agree with Code-Zero's assessment of calling DxD the new Zero no Tsukaima.  Looking at how much they changed, it seriously became a spinoff season instead of a faithful adaptation with improvements. I seem to remember Vali, Barakiel, and the Oppai god in the fight against Fenrir, but they were nowhere to be seen.  They also shafted the entire sequence with Rias's mother challenging how Issei calls Rias and training him to be her groom, which completely screws the dynamic of the future setup for when he has to confront his past by making Rias seem less important. I also can't tell if the animation quality dropped because it's been so long since I watched the first two seasons, and I might be spoiled by other studios, but it seems like the colors are far more flat or they didn't shade properly, but the characters all look really off.  

I'll still watch it just to see where it goes, but in my perfect world, I hope it sells enough to get a fourth season, but not well enough to make them rethink how they adapted it, and stop making unnecessary changes.  Seriously, there was no reason to split up and dissect that fight scene with Fenrir and cut all the scenes between Issei and Rias's mother.  Honestly though, there won't be a fourth season.  I just can't see it happening.

EDIT: Total afterthought: HOLY SHIT! THEY CUT THE OPPAI GOD! WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.  This could actually have serious story ramifications if it does by some miracle get animated for a long time.

Also, I can't help but agree with Code-Zero's assessment of calling DxD the new Zero no Tsukaima. Looking at how much they changed, it seriously became a spinoff season instead of a faithful adaptation with improvements. I seem to remember Vali, Barakiel, and the Oppai god in the fight against Fenrir, but they were nowhere to be seen. They also shafted the entire sequence with Rias's mother challenging how Issei calls Rias and training him to be her groom, which completely screws the dynamic of the future setup for when he has to confront his past by making Rias seem less important. I also can't tell if the animation quality dropped because it's been so long since I watched the first two seasons, and I might be spoiled by other studios, but it seems like the colors are far more flat or they didn't shade properly, but the characters all look really off.

I'll still watch it just to see where it goes, but in my perfect world, I hope it sells enough to get a fourth season, but not well enough to make them rethink how they adapted it, and stop making unnecessary changes. Seriously, there was no reason to split up and dissect that fight scene with Fenrir and cut all the scenes between Issei and Rias's mother. Honestly though, there won't be a fourth season. I just can't see it happening.

EDIT: Total afterthought: HOLY SHIT! THEY CUT THE OPPAI GOD! WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK. This could actually have serious story ramifications if it does by some miracle get animated for a long time.

I've read somewhere that Ishibumi is overseeing this season, so I have to think there's some reason for the changes. What it is though, I haven't the faintest.

Am I the only person who really dislikes -monogatari? Its probably because it has like no action and is all semantics, but I found the walls of text in Bakemono completely unjustified for a medium that is meant to show rather than tell. Seriously, when over half your show is characters doing unmeaningful things with the focus being the talking, I hardly find it worth the effort to watch instead of read or listen. I don't care how "SHAFT"-y it is, it failed the minimum benchmark of using the medium properly.

That's the whole point of the show though, storytelling. In an unusual, quirky way with tons of wordplay and whatnot, alongside fabulous visuals. Indeed it's not jampacked with action, but that was never the goal of it to begin with, this is an anime series that's trying to be different in a medium that always follows a cookie cutter formula, that's why it's so highly praised, why should anime be more for show rather than tell, why can't they tell a fantastic story through the use of awesome scripting? And that's one major reason the Monogatari series is highly regarded, the rest of course is because the story is interesting, mysterious and unique overall, the characters are also all unique and the quality of the show as a whole is really really good.

For those looking for some fast paced action, this is definitely not the show for them, but for those looking for a different storytelling experience, it's definitely a really good show.

That's the whole point of the show though, storytelling. In an unusual, quirky way with tons of wordplay and whatnot, alongside fabulous visuals. Indeed it's not jampacked with action, but that was never the goal of it to begin with, this is an anime series that's trying to be different in a medium that always follows a cookie cutter formula, that's why it's so highly praised, why should anime be more for show rather than tell, why can't they tell a fantastic story through the use of awesome scripting? And that's one major reason the Monogatari series is highly regarded, the rest of course is because the story is interesting, mysterious and unique overall, the characters are also all unique and the quality of the show as a whole is really really good.

For those looking for some fast paced action, this is definitely not the show for them, but for those looking for a different storytelling experience, it's definitely a really good show.

why should anime be more for show rather than tell

Because its video! Thats what video does!  :michiru:

But again, the show isn't SHOWING anything, thus disregarding the strongest point of the medium.  You can be creative , and not use any cookie cutter formula, or not even be packed with action, but the fact that you aren't showing anything means that you are single handedly undermining the point of video.  Its not the fact that there is no action, its that there is little to no meaningful actions. I can't say that the video is unrelated, because it is clearly related, but that doesn't mean that the video is useful. Even videos that explain things display information relating to the topic they are talking about, helping to give the watcher understanding of what it is they are trying to explain.

Think of it this way, a video game, by definition requires human interaction, so a video game that has very little interaction has very little merit as a video game.  Thats why we beat on games that remove that player interaction and replace it with cutscenes or anything that takes away control and makes our choices for us.  In the same way, an audiovisual experience with very little meaning in the visual portion removes the entire purpose of making it audiovisual in the first place.

I'm done ranting, time to finish watching what I have of Arslan Senki and start on the vampires? of Kekkai Sensen.  Seriously, Kekkai Sensen reminds me way too much of Mahou Sensou in the naming department.  It probably has a lot to do with Kekkaishi being one of the first shows I watched while watching Adult Swim like 6 years ago, so I immediately relate Kekkai to Magic, so it mentally becomes:

Kekkai   => Mahou

Sensen => Sensou

:amane:

Because its video! Thats what video does!  :michiru:

But again, the show isn't SHOWING anything, thus disregarding the strongest point of the medium.  You can be creative , and not use any cookie cutter formula, or not even be packed with action, but the fact that you aren't showing anything means that you are single handedly undermining the point of video.  Its not the fact that there is no action, its that there is little to no meaningful actions. I can't say that the video is unrelated, because it is clearly related, but that doesn't mean that the video is useful. Even videos that explain things display information relating to the topic they are talking about, helping to give the watcher understanding of what it is they are trying to explain.

But they show stuff and especially the really weird visualizations in Bakemonogatari are awesome. The way the show things is just little different from the norm. And you got to give them credit for making normal conversations look as interesting. Normal anime would have static scene with one background, where as Bakemonogatari has changing angles, color filters, close ups, random scenery shots and so on. Artsy Shaft style might be really weird and not even always relevant, but I feel it's really fitting for the show. Without it Bakemonogatari would be boring anime with good story, with the weirdness it's unique and interesting anime with good story. 

You know, Abyssal Monkey, I completely agree with the points you made in regards to ~monogatari. It's for the same exact reasons that I didn't entirely like the show myself; the storytelling is nowhere near the ideal that animation should strive for. I personally always thought it would be much better to experience this as a novel than as an anime. At the same time, I don't want to hold it against the producers for adapting the books as they did, it'd likely be detrimental to the show if they tried to add in some kind of gimmick to make more use of the medium's strengths. And without an anime, there wouldn't be as much awareness for ~monogatari LNs, and its sales wouldn't be at peak potential. Considering the kind of storytelling this series uses, I'd still tip my hat off to Shaft for keeping it presentable with their designs and direction.

But they show stuff and especially the really weird visualizations in Bakemonogatari are awesome. The way the show things is just little different from the norm. And you got to give them credit for making normal conversations look as interesting. Normal anime would have static scene with one background, where as Bakemonogatari has changing angles, color filters, close ups, random scenery shots and so on. Artsy Shaft style might be really weird and not even always relevant, but I feel it's really fitting for the show. Without it Bakemonogatari would be boring anime with good story, with the weirdness it's unique and interesting anime with good story. 

Yeah, but there are mediums such as visual novels and even picture books that can make use of the same thing. It's not about what the anime does to enhance the experience, but how much it sticks to the standard. Being unique can certainly be a plus if done correctly, but it shouldn't always be viewed as a mark of quality. I mean, heck, you could even make a unique anime about an ant having regular conversations with a lady bug. And while dialogue can be an important quality, a work that only shines for that won't have the same strength as an anime which fully utilizes its advantages. Consider the reason animation and film are so much more appealing than narrative works. It uses its surroundings to tell a story, it hits you with emotional soundtracks to envelop you in its atmosphere, it utilizes various direction techniques further enhance the impact you get from the animation and scenarios, and finally the animation which adds energy and vigor to give the work more life. It is because ~monogatari doesn't utilize these strengths to the fullest that it falls flat as an anime. It would certainly make for a fantastic novel, though (especially when you consider the many freedoms that novels have over anime).

That's not to say it shouldn't be considered enjoyable. I kinda liked wrapping my head around many of the conversations that were had in this series. It just isn't cut out for this medium.

But this is unique in a good way, it's filled with clever writing and dialogue to enhance the experience that is the story they're telling.

Also they do show you the meaningful stuff happening on screen, you can't say literally nothing happens, it's just that most of the exposure occurs in the form of dialogue, but that dialogue is quite cleverly crafted.

As someone else put it: "Bakemonogatari" is essentially a verbal performance with visual support. 

It was an experimental series that succeeded. One can not deny the clever writing that went into the show, sadly a lot of the cleverness is lost in subtitles, no matter how good these subtitles may be (and any fansub will tell you the same).

Whenever someome tells me Bakemonogatari is not good because there's not a lot of action happening on screen, a kitten dies.

This series is one of the most well thought out anime in recent years and it executes the theme brilliantly, the visuals are beautiful and they serve as a support for the awesome dialogues, so yes this anime does utilize visuals more cleverely than most I would even say, it's just that unlike most anime, this one is not about fast paced action or anything like that.

And the sheer amount of Monogatari fans probably shows why this series is so good.

I agree that this series is not for everybody, it absolutely is not, but saying it's not good because it doesn't fit the medium or doesn't have a lot going on screen really reallyyyy irks me. The Monogatari series is a product created from amazing author working with an amazing director to create an amazing story. It's a journey through some of the most amazing prose, coupled with some of the most amazing visuals, it doesn't need to have crazy fast paced action, it's meant to make the viewer witness a journey created mainly by words.

Anyway, started watching Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, brilliant, fucking brilliant, that's all I have to say.