What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

This time I try something new and after a recommendation from an awesome and gorgeous user ;) I started Black Lagoon. Obviously it isn't my usual type of show I'm watching. I'm now at EP 8 and I like it. It's darker and a little more violent than Hanayamata  :wahaha:  but the characters are important and the episodes itself are entertaining. So I'll move forward.

Dude, Black Lagoon is amazing.  It's basically the dark version of most SoL genre, mixed with endless over the top humor.  I off handedly recommended it to a friend thinking "Ehhh, he might be able to laugh a bit at this" and he turned around and told me he absolutely loved it.  I was absolutely confused at first because I basically took it as a comedy series and had fun with it, but then saw the other half of it.

Torpedoing the chopper in the second episode had me out of my seat rolling on the floor laughing for about 5 minutes. My parents had to come downstairs and tell me to stop.

Chihiro, though that was influenced by S3, a close second would be Haqua (at this point, I'm just going off remembering who are my favorites, I have horrid memory and can't remember why :()

Chihiro best grill!

I still haven't gotten past episode 6 of Shirobako, I really need to get back to it, but it had such a boring start.

Looking to pick up another 3 season+ anime (doesn't matter if 12 or 24 eps, but *requires* minimum three seasons. Okay fine two seasons is fine)

Prefer action/supernatural/fantasy, no emphasis on comedy/drama

So far I got Shakugan no Shana on my radar

Thoughts on that and/or other suggestions welcome :)

Looking to pick up another 3 season+ anime (doesn't matter if 12 or 24 eps, but *requires* minimum three seasons. Okay fine two seasons is fine)

Shakugan no Shana's first 2 seasons are pretty decent, the 3rd one is really iffy, though and is a huge rocky ride, most of it felt stupid but the ending kinda makes up for the whole journey. It still felt stupid, but at least you get a decent conclusion.

I recommend you try out Zero no Tsukaima over Shakugan no Shana, it's similar to Shakugan no Shana in terms of the interactions with the characters, main heroines are both tsunderes as well (Kugimiya Rie voices both the main heroines too), but in Zero no Tsukaima you have a much less rocky ride, the show is a lot more consistent in what it wants to do and the main couple is much cuter, although it also has less seriousness in comparison and although the action is still there and you'll get several magical battles, it's not the biggest focus of the show. 

I also second Hunter x Hunter 2011, you can't go wrong with that show.

Other than that, try the Higurashi series. It's pretty good, an actually decent horror anime adaptation, but there's not much action in it, just supernatural.

Shakugan no Shana's first 2 seasons are pretty decent, the 3rd one is really iffy, though and is a huge rocky ride, most of it felt stupid but the ending kinda makes up for the whole journey. It still felt stupid, but at least you get a decent conclusion.

I recommend you try out Zero no Tsukaima over Shakugan no Shana, it's similar to Shakugan no Shana in terms of the interactions with the characters, main heroines are both tsunderes as well (Kugimiya Rie voices both the main heroines too), but in Zero no Tsukaima you have a much less rocky ride, the show is a lot more consistent in what it wants to do and the main couple is much cuter, although it also has less seriousness in comparison and although the action is still there and you'll get several magical battles, it's not the biggest focus of the show. 

I also second Hunter x Hunter 2011, you can't go wrong with that show.

Other than that, try the Higurashi series. It's pretty good, an actually decent horror anime adaptation, but there's not much action in it, just supernatural.

I have not read the Zero no Tsukaima LNs but i do know they differ from the anime.

I feel like staying ignorant on it because it was one of my very first anime so it has a special place in my heart and i want to keep it as is.

I don't think the anime as a standalone was bad and i had fun watching it, but i can't compare it to its source material.

I never really have problems with anime that stray off the source material if it's done right. Personally i think ZnT is pretty fun to watch so even if it was different from the LNs, it was still a nice show.

I'm assuming Eclipsed is not really interested in the LNs either so all the more reason to give it a go.

But yeah Shakugan no Shana season 3 just... god damn it.

And you can't blame the anime either because the LNs go the same way. The anime was a full adaptation.

So i guess the author just had a brain spasm one day and went full derp.

Soul Eater is 50-ish episodes of solid fantasy action. Great dub, too, IMO. To be completely honest, I hated the last episode of it, but it's otherwise amazing.

Alternatively, maybe give Fairy Tail a try. It goes on forever (maybe good or bad for you), it has a fair number of filler episodes (definitely a negative), and it has a lot of fanservice (again, maybe good or bad).

Neither would be classified as comedy/drama emphasis, though both have minor comedy elements of course (I don't recall any real drama from either)

Pre 2005 anime really has a nice charm, particularly the visuals.

That's what I thought too when I started watching Slayers not too long ago. I do feel that older anime in general are lacking as far as direction and impact goes (not always), but they at least had more distinctive designs. Lina Inverse is so well drawn. ^^ You definitely don't get the same charm from new series that you do from older ones, but I don't mind that at all. I still tend to like newer anime more than oldies, but I'll still go back and watch something from the 90's for the nostalgia (I grew up with these, lol).

I tried watching a 70's anime once. Yeah, I can't even. Even to me, the animation's just way too outdated! 90's anime may not come anywhere close to today's animation standards, but at least it's still reasonable. Though there are people that can't even watch an anime from more than one gen back. D:

There's some 70's anime that easily stick.

Alps no Shoujo Heidi was one of my childhood anime series and I still think it's glorious.

Also who can forget Lupin III?

Certainly there's a lot of anime from that time that wouldn't appeal to the general public now. But there's some gems out there, you just need to dig through to find them.

In terms of direction, some are good, some are bad, I just think they're different, but overall a lot of them are pretty charming and theyconvey some emotions in ways some anime today just can't.

Finished Log Horizon.

The last arc was pretty underwhelming, plus I didn't the awesome end fight I was looking forward too. But it's good and I liked it overall. It was definitely fun to watch it. Now for the second season after 3-4 weeks.

Next I'm supposed to be watching Madoka but ....... Majikoi patch.......... hopefully I can watch it in time for the anime club.