What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Log Horizon 2: LOVED the first season, but the apparent change in quality of the art is bugging me.  Hopefully it will get better.

Yeah it really bothered me as well. The most glaring thing that bothered me was Marielle's hair. Everything else I think I can get use to but her hair is going to bug me to no end.

I finished Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and well... I don't know what to say about. From what I watched till now i would say it is ranked at the last place. It is not bad or something but I just don't get it. It was sometimes funny, as expected from a comedy, but thats all for me. I don't get the whole "story" for me it seems just a concatenation of episodes. Maybe it i just not the kind of anime I prefer.

I look forward to my next selection and hope it will fit me better.

Greetz

I finished Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and well... I don't know what to say about. From what I watched till now i would say it is ranked at the last place. It is not bad or something but I just don't get it. It was sometimes funny, as expected from a comedy, but thats all for me. I don't get the whole "story" for me it seems just a concatenation of episodes. Maybe it i just not the kind of anime I prefer.

I look forward to my next selection and hope it will fit me better.

Greetz

Not really rabu rabu actually. I mean there are potential romance interests but they stagnate throughout the show. The point is, the humor relies heavily on "typical shoujo manga" tropes and preconceived ideas, so the couples are a joke too. Maybe they develop them later in the manga, but so far it's pure comedy.

grisaia no kajitsu, fate/stay night and re-watching all seasons of jojo in anticipation of egypt arc.  watching grisaia makes me want to replay it, one of the better lighthearted common routes i've ever played.

On a side note, i've always wondered what yuuji's eyes looked like when he scared sakaki shitless when she did her surprise attack.  pretty scary eyes.  

Think it's about time I actually get past episode 2 in Monogatari Season 2. On episode 5 now, and I'm starting to remember why I love the series so much.

I completely stalled that because I don't have Koimonogatari and Hanamonogatari yet.

Also, finished watching To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S.

It was beautiful. Goddamnit. The last episode was good. REAAAAAAAAAALLY GOOOOOD.

Or that might be based on my standards.

Anyway, I'm loving the To Aru series even more.

I might start on the novels. But eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy when's the next season?

ETA: never

ded Index

I bought the Steins;Gate Blu-Ray, and am watching it with my friends who prefer dubbed anime.  The voice actors aren't terrible, though they don't match up to well with their Japanese counterparts(well, maybe Daru is close).  But the translation?  It's not.  Or at least half of it isn't.  

They pulled a Working Designs and completely localized the humor.  They ripped out all the otaku culture references and turned them into generic geek references, including some rather old ones(e.g. there's an "All Your Base" reference).  This becomes somewhat problematic when it comes to Okabe because the dub version of him comes off as actually insane instead of just insanely immature.  We've only gotten 4 episodes in, but so far, the switch to more western-friendly references seems to be hurting the experience more than it helps.

I bought the Steins;Gate Blu-Ray, and am watching it with my friends who prefer dubbed anime.  The voice actors aren't terrible, though they don't match up to well with their Japanese counterparts(well, maybe Daru is close).  But the translation?  It's not.  Or at least half of it isn't.  

They pulled a Working Designs and completely localized the humor.  They ripped out all the otaku culture references and turned them into generic geek references, including some rather old ones(e.g. there's an "All Your Base" reference).  This becomes somewhat problematic when it comes to Okabe because the dub version of him comes off as actually insane instead of just insanely immature.  We've only gotten 4 episodes in, but so far, the switch to more western-friendly references seems to be hurting the experience more than it helps.

Is that so?

I actually think the dubbed version is better than the Japanese version, because of said changes to dialogue and localization. 

Certain characters come off as having a slightly different personality from their Japanese counterpart, most noticeably, Daru, Mayuri and Okabe. 

In the Japanese version Daru comes off as some really really vile and unhealthy piece of human trash (I don't mean this in a mean way, mind you), in which the main Humor comes from his stupidity and throwing out references. In the English version his sarcastic and funny replies do this instead, with the memes and geekyness still there. He seems more human.

Mayuri comes off as a bit more... normal? She acts more like a human being instead of the little pet girl we had in the Japanese version. She also seems more like a geek, as opposed to the Japanese version in which I personally only got the impression that she wasn't normal, but she didn't come off as too much of a fan most of the time.

Rintaro though... is heavily biased for me. I much prefer his english counterpart. Eloquent and intelligent characters always grab my attention. Okabe comes off as intelligent to me, something which didn't happen in the japanese version. I also thinks this personality fits a mad scientist, as opposed to japanese take on it, which definitely differs from mine.

I notice your location says you're in japan, given how you're watching the dub with friends I assume you're actually english. I wonder if being in japan and commonly interacting with the culture makes a difference in how much localisations affect your enjoyment.

...I think I'll rewatch the dubbed version to refresh my memory.

Is that so?

I actually think the dubbed version is better than the Japanese version, because of said changes to dialogue and localization. 

Certain characters come off as having a slightly different personality from their Japanese counterpart, most noticeably, Daru, Mayuri and Okabe. 

In the Japanese version Daru comes off as some really really vile and unhealthy piece of human trash (I don't mean this in a mean way, mind you), in which the main Humor comes from his stupidity and throwing out references. In the English version his sarcastic and funny replies do this instead, with the memes and geekyness still there. He seems more human.

Mayuri comes off as a bit more... normal? She acts more like a human being instead of the little pet girl we had in the Japanese version. She also seems more like a geek, as opposed to the Japanese version in which I personally only got the impression that she wasn't normal, but she didn't come off as too much of a fan most of the time.

Rintaro though... is heavily biased for me. I much prefer his english counterpart. Eloquent and intelligent characters always grab my attention. Okabe comes off as intelligent to me, something which didn't happen in the japanese version. I also thinks this personality fits a mad scientist, as opposed to japanese take on it, which definitely differs from mine.

I notice your location says you're in japan, given how you're watching the dub with friends I assume you're actually english. I wonder if being in japan and commonly interacting with the culture makes a difference in how much localisations affect your enjoyment.

...I think I'll rewatch the dubbed version to refresh my memory.

American, yes, and all of my interaction with Japanese people has been with people in their 30s or older(I'm 34 myself), so I wouldn't say I'm especially familiar with Japanese geek culture.  In fact, a lot of the stuff I do know, I originally learned from the Steins;Gate VN(which goes into more depth than the anime and has a glossary).  

Daru does come off as a bit of a creepy pervert in the Japanese voice acting, but that's intentional, as he's supposed to be the sterotypical fat otaku(which is not seen in the same positive light by Japanese society as geekdom has come to be in the west).

Mayuri...  I don't really seem to see the same way you do.  She's a bit of an airhead, sure, but I don't see the pet part.  She's definitely a geek(sews for cosplay, references anime characters a lot, especially cute ones...).  She's also highly perceptive, as is shown later on in the show.

As for Okabe...  well the important thing to remember is that he is not a mad scientist.  He is a young man acting out a character based upon a childhood cartoon(with other chunni crap mixed in for good measure).  So sounding like an exaggerated Saturday morning cartoon sounds better to me than the milder faux intellectual take that the dub goes with.  

I think another reason I prefer the Japanese Okabe is that the Dub voice actor exhibits much less range(so far).  I find it hilarious whenever events catch Okabe by surprise and his voice jumps a couple octaves.  The English VA doesn't really do anything similar(so far).  

Mayuri...  I don't really seem to see the same way you do.  She's a bit of an airhead, sure, but I don't see the pet part.  She's definitely a geek(sews for cosplay, references anime characters a lot, especially cute ones...).  She's also highly perceptive, as is shown later on in the show.

As for Okabe...  well the important thing to remember is that he is not a mad scientist.  He is a young man acting out a character based upon a childhood cartoon(with other chunni crap mixed in for good measure).  So sounding like an exaggerated Saturday morning cartoon sounds better to me than the milder faux intellectual take that the dub goes with.  

I think another reason I prefer the Japanese Okabe is that the Dub voice actor exhibits much less range(so far).  I find it hilarious whenever events catch Okabe by surprise and his voice jumps a couple octaves.  The English VA doesn't really do anything similar(so far).