Congratulations! You are now in charge of an anime studio! Which VN would you adapt to an anime?

B0X0R

I'm a newcomer when it comes to the world of visual novels, so the amount of visual novels under my belt is really small. Anyway, if I was in charge, I would adapt Rewrite into an anime. I would have it closely based on Shizuru's route. It's a cute, romantic route that contains enough story elements from the other routes (except for Kotori's route, but if you include the common route then she would have enough screentime to make up for it). Honestly, I just think that it would be really cool to see Kotarou and Shizuru on that motorcycle, with Shizuru duel wielding sub machine guns!

I'm a newcomer when it comes to the world of visual novels, so the amount of visual novels under my belt is really small. Anyway, if I was in charge, I would adapt Rewrite into an anime. I would have it closely based on Shizuru's route. It's a cute, romantic route that contains enough story elements from the other routes (except for Kotori's route, but if you include the common route then she would have enough screentime to make up for it). Honestly, I just think that it would be really cool to see Kotarou and Shizuru on that motorcycle, with Shizuru duel wielding sub machine guns!

I would want a full adaption of Rewrite, with all the routes. It would be difficult, but I think it can be done.

If I had infinite resources, either Umineko or Rewrite because I feel both of them are inherently difficult to make a good anime out of, but unlike something like Ever17 it can be done.

If I had a finite amount of resources, i.e. not enough to to make Umineko or Rewrite, I'd go with Sharin no Kuni.

I honestly think G-Senjou no Maou could make an awesome anime although I wouldn't be against a Muv-Luv anime (yes muv-luv the regular version followed by a cliffhanger leading into unlimited for a second series/season) and then capping it all off with Alternative. I also would love to see umineko redone from the beginning but that is very very unlikely to ever happen considering how bad the first version turned out in everything. Honestly if done well I'd love to see a ton of anime adaptted visual novels but sadly they don't usually have the budget for it.

If I had infinite resources, either Umineko or Rewrite because I feel both of them are inherently difficult to make a good anime out of, but unlike something like Ever17 it can be done.

If I had a finite amount of resources, i.e. not enough to to make Umineko or Rewrite, I'd go with Sharin no Kuni.

Sharin no Kuni relies on some shady twists I'm not so sure you can reproduce in an anime, right?

Well it's definitely a hard question, but the more I think about it the more I think that I like the VNs I have read enough as VNs and wouldn't want to ruin that.

I feel like it's a different feeling watching an anime and reading a VN,

Not that I think it's a bad idea to adapt a VN into an anime, I just wouldn't do it myself.

The weirdest doujins I could find... someone would watch it. :D

To give a more serious answer, I'd be afraid to pick anything at all, honestly. A lot of great VNs work exactly because they are VNs - and this doesn't have to be just because a VN doesn't have to deal with episodic time constraints, rather than being able to use story telling conventions anime couldn't - or very hardly - could.

The problem with adapting a VN is capturing all individual routes and their story while maintaining a linear plotline, most adaptations often straight out remove the romance or if they keep it they only go for one of the girls (usually the true route if there is one) and that ends up removing a lot of the feelings you'd get from reading the VN.

Hence why if I was running the thing I'd make different 1 cour anime for each route. Problem solved. :sachi:

At the very least I'd have an omnibus format and make it as long as necessary to adapt every route flawlessly.

Of course this is all in a dreamland but hey it's fun to dream!

Swan Song would be great as an anime. Not only are the characters and story interesting, but Swan Song was written in such a way that it would be relatively easy to adapt to an anime. There are no character routes or anything. So yeah, somebody make a Swan Song anime!