The agony of choosing.

maburu

Have you ever found yourself in a situation, hm, how to put it... in which you couldn't set a flag for the specific girl, just because you'd have to refuse another one? Though it's kinda weird, but it's rather painful for me, from time to time.

Sure, why wouldn't it be painful? If it's that kind of game...where each girl is in love with you, then of course when you ultimately choose one girl over the other, the other one's heart will be broken.

So why is it weird? Because it's a game? If you don't react emotionally to the game you're playing, the suspension of disbelief has failed, and what good is it at that point...

Oh, looks like it's a normal situation, I somehow relieved, thanks :rolleyes:

In fact I'am reading Mai's route in Kanon right now and already played through Ayu's and Makoto's one. Yeah, it was kinda painful when I had to ignore Ayu (for the second time) but maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit.

The one I remember the most is Clannad.

When you don't do Nagisa's route, you have to ignore her and not help her. It was kind of painful when I had to choose those options

oh man yes. This upset my wife so much she almost quit the game. lol that being her first VN i just explained that that happens and she pushed forward and finished it. Shes hooked now, but ill never forget her reaction to that.

There have been a couple games for me. DC and Shuffle! come to mind.

Great thread by the way!

I can totally relate to that... There is this manga too that raises up questions of the like: "what happens to a heroine when you don't do her route?". It's a rather painful train of thought to some VNs like Yume Miru (seriously, they're screwed without the protagonist..), but not so much in others like Majikoi (everything and everyone is aways happy, except maybe for a while in Kazuko's route).

It was already mentioned but anyway great thread! I rarely do have this kind of iniciative myself but I'd like to see this more often =D

I always wondered, do many people play Visual Novels with walkthroughs? Doesn't it spoil the atmosphere of the game?

I sometimes have that kind of dilemma, but then I just think: 'I am not betraying you, just wait till I finish this route and redo the game'.

I always wondered, do many people play Visual Novels with walkthroughs? Doesn't it spoil the atmosphere of the game?

Almost always. I don't always follow a walkthrough but I need to at least know some stuff like how is the game structure organized, otherwise i'd be afraid to miss scenes.

Unless the gameplay is really worth it, I don't bother trying to get a route blindly.

(I don't think it spoils anything, depending on what kind of game you play)

I sometimes have that kind of dilemma, but then I just think: 'I am not betraying you, just wait till I finish this route and redo the game'.

I play with walkthroughs because I have lots of vns to play and not many time, and the walkthroughs normally are spoiler free so you still get to wonder what's gonna happen with the plot, or how are going to be the endings.

You simply skip the random factor when a selection pops up.

Yeah, Muv-Luv.

1. Eat both Lunches.

2. Reload save

3. Run to the roof.

4. Reload save

5. Find Chizuru

6. Reload Save

7. Eat Meiya's lunch

8. Give up and restart game.

Then I decided to progress down both Meiya and Sumika's routs in parallel so no indecision for me =)

aaaaaaand this is why I think every eroge should have a harem ending. When will you give me one, Yuzu-soft? >:

It's a rather painful train of thought to some VNs like Yume Miru (seriously, they're screwed without the protagonist..)

Dammit, I never managed to finish Nekoko's route because I did Aeka's first. I managed to the other one, but not without feeling like a complete asshole. >:

I only ever used walkthroughs twice: once for Kara no Shoujo, then with Steins;Gate, both of which have really obtuse mechanics.

I only ever used walkthroughs twice: once for Kara no Shoujo, then with Steins;Gate, both of which have really obtuse mechanics.

Same for me, I feel ya bro. Kara no Shoujo can be difficult, and Steins;Gate is just... Obtuse really is the best way to describe it xD

Other than those two, I've only used it in Chaos;Head for the same reason.

^ They are both really good, Steins;Gate in particular is extremely interesting. As we said, their "gameplay" is a little annoying, however, so make sure you have a walkthrough in-hand.

Other than those two, I've only used it in Chaos;Head for the same reason.

• 2 weeks later...

On my first playthrough of a game I never use a guide. Somehow I manage to get true ends instinctively, though, which makes me think I may be an evolutionary adaptation to Visual Novels as a whole.

Thank goodness I married an American girl -- I'd feel guilty if I introduced such adaptations to the VN home population!