death note "L or KIRA which one is justice?"

bilguun

A lot of you must have watched death note and some of you may or may note be satisfied with the ending. The show asks us a question. "is killing bad people good or bad?" "is changing the society through law is impossible or possible?" And who did you vote for? KIRA or L,M,N.

For myself when i first watched this anime i actually was a kira fan. The things he did have very good effect and i've also thought that a little bit of punishment would tighten the law. But after watching the anime over and over again. I become quite confused. Light wanted to create a new world, but that was his secondary objective. His main objective was to HAVE FUN. Then can we really say he is the guy of justice? Wouldn't it be better if we tried to change the world using the right ways to do so? This thought made me switch from Kira's to L's side.

Now i don't want a rage battle between L and KIRA worshipers, i just wanted to know what you guys think. That is all. 

I guess I'll contribute while it's still not a war. I will always side with Yagami Soichiro, simply because all he wanted was peace. He was aware that society wouldn't simply become perfect if Kira was caught, nor it would be if Kira won, he just wanted all the killing to stop. While I'm aware that Kira wanted the same to some extent, he intended to sacrifice numbers in any proportion if needed, so in the end, I believe they would grow in inverse proportion to what he originally "wished" for. L would do extreme things to reach his objective, but I never felt like he really cared about how many died, to be honest, I always thought that he only wanted to solve the case, just like any other he solved before. Not for humanity's sake, but simply for the pleasure of solving it. 

L is justice.

Kira just falls into madness.

Light is the a perfect example of someone who doesn't realize the importance of a human life.

Of course this is dependent on one's vision of justice. Justice can be understood in multiple ways.

The way I see it, murder is not justified, it's simply a murder.

i'm a Kira fan but... i don't think he is justice, like you said, at first Kira wanted to create a new world, but his actions was more than that, he just was killing people for entertainment and treats himself as a god, also doing whatever he wants.

That aside, who said that Kira kills culprits only? as we have seen, he was killing even the innocent people to achieve his goals, he was killing anyone that resist him and his actions.

I supported Kira at the beginning of the series, I was pretty okay with his ideals then, even if he had to kill innocents to achieve his ultimate goal (the idea of a sacrifice for a greater cause is nothing new) but as everythig went on he started falling into madness and he got more and more cornered and that ruined it for me, it showed he wasn't as brilliant as he could have been. Power got to his head I guess.

After a while his system was just too biased and flawed, deviating from his original goal, among other things, and he was doing it more for his own pleasure than anything so I ended up switching to L's side just because they actually had their head out of their asses.

I believe... it's good to believe that killing is bad. But, believing this, you have to wonder whether Kira's methods would lead to fewer deaths/murders. Kira's ideal is this: by showing the world that crimes will be severely punished, fewer crimes will be committed. There are many gray faces to this story. If he can save a million people in the future by killing ten thousand in the present, is he doing good? How do you judge 'good'? I personally tend to think that what benefits the collective mass of people the most can be deemed 'good', but this is definitely something not everyone will agree on. For some people, the idea of 'trading' lives is an act of evil or injustice that cannot be accounted for and cannot be worth any reward. You can contemplate questions such as "what is the value of fewer non-murderous crimes being committed when weighed against the death toll necessary for Kira to establish his rule?" or "is the life of a murderer more/less worthy of being protected than a baby?".

In the end, there is no single answer. The answer is whatever you want it to be (...whatever society wants it to be), but it will only be your answer. There is no great authority that will tell everyone 'the answer'. But maybe I just said something that is already very apparent to you. So I guess I'll say that I appreciated Kira for his attempts at martyrdom. He saw a greater goal and sacrificed himself for it. In more ways than he expected to, but even still. That said, I don't support Kira's justice. It's such a precarious justice (exhibited by the fact that it toppled down long before he even succumbed to the law) and the cost of failure is great.

side-note of sorts: Its important to distinguish early-story Kira from late-story Kira. As the story goes on, he becomes crazier and crazier in his attempts to flee persecution. His desire to be free and to avoid detection lead him to do things that the idealistic Kira at the beginning wouldn't think of doing. It's also probably arguable that the power itself made him lose it a little. I haven't seen Death Note in years, but my feeling was that this wasn't the case. The power is tied into it, for sure, but I think that fear played the biggest role in his downfall. Fear of failure, fear of a terrible demise and fate, fear of having all of his efforts, what he gambled his soul on if I remember correctly, be for naught.

Justice isn't a well-defined concept... though people frequently believe it is.  Light crossed the line when he started killing people who went after him, in my eyes.   He went from a megalomaniac who wants to create a new world to just a megalomaniac at that point.

I guess I'll contribute while it's still not a war. I will always side with Yagami Soichiro, simply because all he wanted was peace. He was aware that society wouldn't simply become perfect if Kira was caught, nor it would be if Kira won, he just wanted all the killing to stop. While I'm aware that Kira wanted the same to some extent, he intended to sacrifice numbers in any proportion if needed, so in the end, I believe they would grow in inverse proportion to what he originally "wished" for. L would do extreme things to reach his objective, but I never felt like he really cared about how many died, to be honest, I always thought that he only wanted to solve the case, just like any other he solved before. Not for humanity's sake, but simply for the pleasure of solving it.