Is zero escape the greatest visual novel?

bilguun

Not really sure if this belongs in the recommendation forum, as it seems more like a discussion than 'is there anything like this'?

That said, I doubt it's the 'best', and truth be told the absolute greatest is probably too difficult to ascertain in a medium with so many great works.

That said, I'd have to say Umineko no Naku Koro ni gets my vote.  Really an amazing read almost all the way through.

OP sounds a bit overexcited for this game. Then again, I was when I finished MLA, so I can't blame them. 

Anyway, as for plot... 

The best one I can think of is G-sejou no Maou. It is certainly the best VN there is that fits the description you provided that I myself have personally played. If you are capable of reading Moon Runes, then I would suggest Fortissimo, as I never hear anything but praise from that. (I wish I could read Moon) T_T

• 3 weeks later...

I love Zero escape! ... But not for it's visual novel elements :/ Actually the visual novel elements in Zero escape is pretty bad. It has way to many branching endings, the underlying plot is not described very much, and both endings were just a little to wierd for me.

But the atmosphere and the gameplay mechanics were great :D

• 1 month later...
Funyarinpa, on 14 Dec 2014 - 4:11 PM, said:Funyarinpa, on 14 Dec 2014 - 4:11 PM, said:Funyarinpa, on 14 Dec 2014 - 4:11 PM, said:Funyarinpa, on 14 Dec 2014 - 4:11 PM, said:

IMO Muv-Luv Alternative is overrated.

It took me 2-3 months to read Muv-Luv, and I hated Extra.

It's been 4 months since I started reading MLA and I think I'm not even halfway through. 

+Utawarerumono: Ok for the most part this is a fantasy adventure VN, the protagonist is your average amnesia victim that is nursed back to health by the local friendly village.... things happen and he is eventually forced to fight in various battles to protect those who saved him. The end of the vn is what really makes or breaks this story, it will either blow your mind or you will start laughing hysterically.

twist ending =/= mystery. If you liked utawarerumono and haven't played Tears to Tiara, that's a game for you. It's another tactical RPG with a similarly world-breaking ending.