Thoughts on Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai?

Wintersami

Well i finished this game and i can only say i liked 1/4 of it. What are your thoughts on it?

Here is what i think (Wall of text incoming):

Pointless routes besides Agave (Wich is there to be the true route for the sequel, and it's still stupid) and the heroine routes. The only thing the other routes add are H-Scenes.

Many times i had instances where after the day ended and i started wondering ''Was was the point of that? Couldn't i just skip this? What does this has to do with the route i'm playing?"

The characters like to repeat their stock phrases and do the same things over and over again throughout ALL the routes. The perverts have to constantly act like perverts, the word "Justice" was used in Chris' route a thousand times, every time Momoyo appears for something else besides her route either she wants to tease his brother or complains about how she has no one to fight. And so goes on with all the characters (I would be here for hours if i mentioned all the instances this happens).

The stories take stupid turns and twists for stupid reasons and the game tries to hide behind the excuse of ''It's a comedy'' while it's trying to take itself seriously. Is like the VN doesn't know what to do with it's story.

The VN constantly makes fun of it's target audience wich while sometimes hillarious, it's still a cheap shot at comedy. And this happens A LOT in the game.

For a game where a lot of fighting happens, it doesn't has much content besides stock punch and slashing effects, while repeating the same CG's with little changes over and over again.

Just a special mention, there is one point on Chris' route where she decides to go back to Germany and Yamato thinks he has to go to Chris' room during the night and have sex with her wich results on the game coming close to what could be considered as rape (I know it's not, but the premise of Yamato's idea comes extremely close to that; "I have to fuck her until she likes it"), wich could've been handled better in my opinion.

The game has bad ends and they are so pointless, in almost most of them you end up with Miyako wich made me cringe a lot. It adds NOTHING to the game.

Also the game shows a tutorial about how the character select is supposed to work wich is another pointless thing since i know if i want to be on Yukie's route i just have to click Yukie in the character select every time she shows up.

I also thought the anime would help to like the characters a little bit more, but it's just some generic ecchi harem anime with a perverted character wich is funny like 10% of the time.

I generally agree with this review:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130917110609/http://yandere.tindabox.net/?p=347

But to put some words of mine here, I'll just retort the following:

"The stories take stupid turns and twists for stupid reasons and the game tries to hide behind the excuse of ''It's a comedy'' while it's trying to take itself seriously. Is like the VN doesn't know what to do with it's story."

But it IS a comedy, that's not an excuse. It's not especially story-driven and you kinda should expect it not to be. I never recommend this VN to anyone who's not after lighthearted commedy or fanservice for the simple reason that, at the great majority of the time, it does not deliver plot in the seriousness one would generally expect (the wanko route was a pleasant surprise). In any case, you're basically condemning it for not corresponding an expectation you should not have in the first place.

About the character clichés and the fights. I'll just say that it's kinda impossible to develop as many characters as this game has, and it still does a decent job considering its span. The fights could be better, but they do their job overall. 

In short, it's shortcomings are mediocre at most (note that's different than bad) but it's upsides are good if you play it for what it should be. That's why reviews and recommendations exist, so you can know what to expect in what is basically an investment of 30~40 hours of your time. I hope I didn't sound harsh or conceited, it's merely my opinion >.<

I generally agree with this review:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130917110609/http://yandere.tindabox.net/?p=347

But to put some words of mine here, I'll just retort the following:

"The stories take stupid turns and twists for stupid reasons and the game tries to hide behind the excuse of ''It's a comedy'' while it's trying to take itself seriously. Is like the VN doesn't know what to do with it's story."

But it IS a comedy, that's not an excuse. It's not especially story-driven and you kinda should expect it not to be. I never recommend this VN to anyone who's not after lighthearted commedy or fanservice for the simple reason that, at the great majority of the time, it does not deliver plot in the seriousness one would generally expect (the wanko route was a pleasant surprise). In any case, you're basically condemning it for not corresponding an expectation you should not have in the first place.

Don't worry i'm not picking fights or anything, i respect and understand your opinion, the reason i said that is because MANY times the game teases you with confrontations that will happen in the future, or raises questions about some characters origins.

You say that is not story driven but it has different routes and different stories (It even has a true ending) meaning that it IS a story driven game, and it IS trying to take itself seriously, especially on the final routes but it doesn't deliver. And at the end they take the emergency measure of saying ''LOL COMEDY'' just to excuse themselves.

It feels someone made up a quick story just to be classified as a VN instead of just an H-Game. The prologue was interesting and it made me think it was leading to something good but it didn't capitalize on it

In my opinion it is a bad game but it has a couple of diamonds hidden in the mud

I don't get it.

Majikoi is supposed to be comedic.

That's the main point of the game.

Visual novels don't need to be driven by story to be one.

Same as books and other stuff not always being centered around the story.

As with other works, visual novels tend to have genres as well.

And this particular work falls under the 'comedy' category.

I mean, it does has a story, but the comedy is what's central in the game.

It's a fun VN, set in a fun world, filled with fun characters. Majikoi just makes me feel good. I personally enjoy slice-of-life-y stuff quite a bit in a VN, but can enjoy a good intense moment every now and then too, and Majikoi is basically 80/20 that, in favor of the slice-of-life stuff, so it's a big win in my book. I also found most of the actual romances relatively believable (I didn't really enjoy Chris's route, though.) 

All this is coming from someone who hasn't even had a chance to read the route of their favorite heroine, (perhaps ever) Miyako.

But basically, I find that Majikoi takes place in a setting I find extremely enjoyable, with characters I like being around. Playing it immerses me in a world that I find extremely endearing just due to the fact that it lines up with my personal tastes.

I also like the art quite a bit, and the  H-scenes are (as you said) really well-done.

Hmm, i did like parts of the game, like i said before; i liked 1/4 of it (Wanko, half of Yukie and Miyako's) it had good comedic moments aswell but i clearly remember at one point, skipping chunks of dialog that didn't include the heroine from that particular route and nothing of value was lost nor i didn't end confused about things.

The characters writing is really poor outside their routes they repeat their stock phrases everytime they show up, because the writers thought that was a good idea to remind the reader that Capt is free like the wind 90% of the time he is on screen, or that Chris is naive and has a very strict sense of justice, and it happens with EVERYONE in this game (And a lot of people don't mind this because of the amount of characters the game has, but the sequel has even more now and if you couldn't write good stuff about that many characters you shouldn't have had them in the first place)

For a VN that is focused on comedy it doesn't do a great job because of what i mentioned before and some plot points in the story like 

Shadakou showing us super-powers at the end of Yukie's story and then "LOL my boss told me this was inconvenient for the story so i have to go, here is your H-Scene", or Chris' dad turning into his young form thanks to hidden powers i guess, and MANY other moments like this

didn't felt they were there to make me laugh, they were there because the writers had no clue where to go with the story and they paste in a very bad and unfunny excuse for the situation. (But it is a comedy so we don't have to give it a lot of thought and people won't mind amirite?)

It just felt like a boring VN at the end, i just wanted to get it over with, i salvaged a few moments and that was it. I've seen many VN that were not focusing on comedy that did a better job.

I can't review it because I've been stuck in the eternal limbo of waiting for Miyako's route to be translated. I feel I can't fairly give it a verdict until I've finished reading it. But I did enjoy all the routes I read. I found the comedy to be actually funny, which probably had a lot to do with it.

I think Majikoi works great as long as you go into it expecting just to laugh and be entertained, and not to be blown away by great literature. It doesn't take itself seriously and that's just part of its charm. Besides, IMO not every VN needs to take itself seriously. Too many other VNs have already carved out my heart and stomped on it.

Every once in a while you should treat yourself to one that is just silly, sweet and fun. Majikoi is exactly that, IMO.

• 1 year later...
On 12/13/2014 at 6:16 PM, Wintersami said:

Well i finished this game and i can only say i liked 1/4 of it. What are your thoughts on it?

Here is what i think (Wall of text incoming):

Hidden Content

You raised many valid points there, i thought the common route was indeed enjoyable, the characters seemed interesting and the vn seemed very promising.

to be honest i had no clue that the vn is only slice of life comedy so that was mainly my own fault, i was expecting something more deep, especially during the routes. while playing the common route i liked Miyako a lot but i was very disappointed in her route and i would say that i liked her character more in the common route than in the route itself.

It felt to me that Majikoi's target audience was people aged around 15 years old ... everything that happened was very simple and predictable and once i finished Miyako's route i was like....ok? that's it?

It was not a bad VN but definitely not my type of vn so i understand why many people like it, but i still think it is somewhat overrated. I have only read Miyako's route and i was planning to keep reading more, but after i read some of the reviews about it i realized that this is definitely not the type of vn i would be interested in. Not to mention that the H-scenes were very forced and even the romance too (at least in Miyako's route).

As much as i HATE dropping vns i think i have no choice but to move on to another one 

I've really enjoyed the games so far - I have individual complaints about the actual stories (like Wanko route) but that just underlines that the series is at its best when it's not trying to be serious.

The characters (and character art) and interactions are great, dialogue's mostly fun and there are enough twists and turns to keep you entertained throughout it.

The overall theme is that of a slapstick version of Little Busters! with a lot of ero, and Majikoi pulls it off in its own right. The 'martial arts' aspect is so fantastic that I don't think it even matters. It could be replaced by literally any other over-the-top theme.

Are you people seriously having a discussion about how bad is Majikoi? The best translated comedy visual novel that actually is fun and sexy? That breakes most of the tropes? With one of the most professional VA out there? With smart and capable MC, likable characters and engaging writing? Sure, it has some flaws but nothing is perfect in this world. And blame top eroge for being... eroge is just unbelievable. Sometimes, I don't understand what people actually expect from japanese adult humour.