Fuwa Anime Club: 1st Cycle

Stray Cat

Cycle 1: Questions  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Did you watch Durarara with everyone in the first cycle?

2. 2. Would you be interested in a side project of watching another anime as it airs each season?

3. 3. Was this enough time to watch the series?

This poll is closed to new votes

I have now finished the first three episodes and am reporting now since it's finally intrigued me and gotten my interest.

Up to episode 3

So I've started to figure out the characters and separate them into different groups.

I apologize for not using names but I'm terrible at those.

We have protagonist-kun. He's painfully similar to me outside of my habitat, really...

He has a blond friend. This blond friend is connected to many of the characters we've seen thus far, in some way or another. 

There's the group of friends the blond guy has. These are all, seemingly, good people.

There's two other girls in their class who were highlighted. The one who used to have black hair and now has twin-tails and one with black hair and glasses (and a strangely big bust).

The circumstances about the one with glasses remain a mystery.

The one with the twin-tails was a victim of a scheme of the guy with black hair, who I assume is rather powerful and well connected. He employed an actual gang and a very mythical motorbiker. He does all of this for entertainment. He's an enemy of the blond bartender.

This motorbiker is very strange. I'll assume it has something to do with the scientist-looking fellow we saw with him once. He (or maybe she, since she's usually referred to that way) seems to discourage crime and is generally good. She personally knows both the black haired guy and the blond bartender, even though they are enemies.

The blond bartender is incredibly strong and violent. He is acquaintances with another guy who doesn't believe in occult, not much is known about him yet. He was stopped by Simon. Can't say whether he's good or bad.

Simon (English names are much better) is a Russian sushi man. He's also a good person despite his looks. 

Finally, a ginger (I think that's how it is) girl with marks all over her neck was introduced but not much is known about her yet.

As for the story itself, everyone has their own circumstances, which I assume will start to connect sooner or later. Probably later because 24 episodes is quite a bit.

I have noticed there are two different narrators. Whether there is anything more to this is yet to be seen.

The text chat seems to be convenient plot exposure machine.

Now... Onto watching more!

Spot-on analysis so far. There are definitely going to be more than two narrators.

I've gotten to episode 12, where it almost looks like most of the stuff is finalized and it's a good time for a season break.

I'm betting new nonsense will begin for the next 12 episodes. Truth be told, as it is I'd already rate it 9, so I don't see it getting much worse as we get near the end.

Up to episode 12

Nothing out of the expected so far, exempting the attached head which I don't think we could've really guessed.. Though I really enjoyed it thus far.

finished with season one (1-24 + OVA/25)

I feel sorry for the people who have had to wait these 5 years for season two to come out because I don't know how anyone could be satisfied with 24 as an ending point to the story. That being said, the character development skills of the writer have really shone through for me. None of the plot twists (apart from the girl's maybe) were all too surprising, and for an anime that's already 24 episodes, not much has actually happened with the plot given the way the anime's narrative works. I enjoyed being able to see everyone's point of view with what actually happened though. Finally, the further and further it progressed, I couldn't help but think I-ZA-YA KUUUUUN X Shizuo was really canon.

These are obviously not my complete thoughts on the anime, so I welcome discussion. 

P.S. That yuri.

Up to Episode 7

I enjoyed watching Shizuo's episode. It's just funny every time he said he hates violence, it showed him acting violent, haha.

I also laughed when Celty was punching Shinra for his comment xD. I think he might even enjoy being abused by her, lol. They're funny.

So what's everyone's opinion on picking one show (not a sequel season or continuing from fall season) from the upcoming winter season that everyone in this club has to watch and discuss on a weekly-ish basis? 

What are people's opinion on voting on the show before any episodes of the winter season actually air (a complete gambit based only on previews and synopsis?) Would anyone be up for doing something like that. Would that even fit in the fuwa anime club agenda thing or should this be a separate idea?

on that note: good luck finishing durarara all...here's a question for those that finished it; which singular character would you like to find out more about in the second season?

I am not that fond of the upcoming winter season. I don't like it. But I am stating my opinion and don't give a crap about what others think.

If we follow Stray Cat's instructions Tiago is picking the next genre. Then we are going to make suggestions. You can always suggest something from winter season perhaps?

Progress so far, watched 19 episodes. 

I seriously hope they finish in a great way. They spent 12 episodes to describe the characters. They spent 6 episodes to build up the plot and excitement. I have high hopes of the last episodes. I know the second season is coming. So I am guessing on a cliffhanger.

I've updated the poll at the top, so fill it out as we progress.  I'm interested in kyrt's idea but we would have to have enough people  willing to do so.  I think if we do decide to do it and we're an episode or two late it's no big deal (actually maybe better that way so we kinda know the direction some shows are heading).

To answer your question as well, the club kinda runs on it's own time.  A certain amount of time is given to watch the series and we do so, therefore, if something is shorter we finish sooner.  The next vote will take place after we have started reviewing this show. 

I apologize for my lack of participation thus far but the holidays have kept me extremely busy this year.  Just a reminder that we are expected to be done by the end of the day Sunday, January 4th (and I will definitely make that deadline).  

I am finsihed with Durarara! now. It was more enjoyable than I thought. A bit long startup maybe but overall really enjoyable. I am waiting for everyone else to be done.

I guess I am interested in watching an anime that airs every season too. But I also want the original thought of the anime club where we watch an anime depending on genre. That is more appealing to me. I can watch miltiply animes at once so that's not a problem.

I am finsihed with Durarara! now. It was more enjoyable than I thought. A bit long startup maybe but overall really enjoyable. I am waiting for everyone else to be done.

I guess I am interested in watching an anime that airs every season too. But I also want the original thought of the anime club where we watch an anime depending on genre. That is more appealing to me. I can watch miltiply animes at once so that's not a problem.

Like I said, this would be another aspect of the club.  The main system would continue and this would run along side it.  You could do one or the other or both, it doesn't matter. 

I'm on episode 7 so far.  All I can say right now is Izaya is voiced by JYB and strongly reminds me of Adachi so instant favorite character. 

Seriously, the minute he fooled the girl in episode two and revealed everything to her, priceless.

Also, Celty's thing is really really weird.

Also, the constant perspective switch is confusing and intriguing. 

Up to Episode 16

Shinra is still my favorite character so far. I like his interactions with Celty and his father. Those are my favorite scenes.. and the heart smoke, lol.  I also thought it was funny how Celty got freaked out by the policemen when they weren't afraid of her, haha.

I predicted Anri was the Slasher at the end of ep13.. and I guess I was right.  I still don't really understand the whole Slasher story.. and it's kinda boring to me but hopefully it'll get better. Izaya is probably my least favorite character so far, I find him annoying because of all his secretive and cunningness xD.

I just realized I still haven't posted. Finished Durarara a couple of days ago. It was pretty good overall, but I felt that Durararara really took its time getting to the interesting part, and the ending wasn't that great IMO, thankfully Durarararara Season 2 is coming, so maybe that will fix it, although unless we decide to watch it here I definitely won't watch it as it airs. My favourite character in Durararararara would have to be Shizu-chan.

Up to Episode 16

Shinra is still my favorite character so far. I like his interactions with Celty and his father. Those are my favorite scenes.. and the heart smoke, lol.  I also thought it was funny how Celty got freaked out by the policemen when they weren't afraid of her, haha.

I predicted Anri was the Slasher at the end of ep13.. and I guess I was right.  I still don't really understand the whole Slasher story.. and it's kinda boring to me but hopefully it'll get better. Izaya is probably my least favorite character so far, I find him annoying because of all his secretive and cunningness xD.

He's my favorite in Durararararararararararara!! because of that :D