Fuwa Anime Club: 1st Cycle

Stray Cat

Cycle 1: Questions  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Did you watch Durarara with everyone in the first cycle?

2. 2. Would you be interested in a side project of watching another anime as it airs each season?

3. 3. Was this enough time to watch the series?

This poll is closed to new votes

So I'm more than willing to join however I dislike the idea of people just skipping out because they dislike the show, have seen the show, or don't want to watch the show. If they want to participate in this 'club' by voting on the show then shouldn't they also be required to participate in the discussion? At the very least don't let them be able to choose a show/genre for the round after...they cans till vote and discuss but they can't suggest a show or genre as a punishment or something for backing out. Or something...I mean hell at least participate in the discussion if you've seen it...it would be good to have differing opinions. 

Our Portuguese friend suggested Durarara so he is picking the next genre. I am expecting something interesting with a smirk.

Watched 6 episodes so far.

Hell I don't even know what the hell this is about. They just jump between the characters wit ha narrators voice. I am confused. Everything looks like it will be intertwined later on but at the moment it is weird.

So I'm more than willing to join however I dislike the idea of people just skipping out because they dislike the show, have seen the show, or don't want to watch the show. If they want to participate in this 'club' by voting on the show then shouldn't they also be required to participate in the discussion? At the very least don't let them be able to choose a show/genre for the round after...they cans till vote and discuss but they can't suggest a show or genre as a punishment or something for backing out. Or something...I mean hell at least participate in the discussion if you've seen it...it would be good to have differing opinions. 

I wont join in the dicussion cause i give the anime a 2/10 it sucked hard in my opinion

Been really busy so I haven't had much time to re-watch DRRR! Might have time the week after next, so a deadline extension would be much appreciated. Also, since the first cour of season 2 is coming out in January, it's a good time to be re-watching the show.

For those watching DRRR! for the first time, the show starts out slow and might be confusing, since it hops around all over the place with a lot of genres mixed together. But do be patient, it will get good when things start to reveal themselves.

For those watching DRRR! for the first time, the show starts out slow and might be confusing, since it hops around all over the place with a lot of genres mixed together. But do be patient, it will get good when things start to reveal themselves.

I really hope that's true. At the moment it doesn't make much sense.

I am just watching other perspectives all the time.

How much should we hide in spoilers? 

I've just finished episode 2.

I gotta say, that 2nd episode was really touching to me. I really enjoyed it.  It's dark, but in the end it gives a hopeful lesson.  I actually think it fits with real life well about everyone keeping secrets for their own personal reasons.  Sometimes with a little more understanding and openness, things are not as bad as they seem.

Those who want to join in at this point are welcome.  They just have no influence over the voting and are committing to watch and review the show already selected. 

Also, since it's the holidays and everyone has tons of stuff to do, I will be extending the deadline to January 4 (which gives us a week to review and discuss before the second season airs).  Merry Christmas! 

On episode 13 now. Short review so far.

At last it is starting to make sense. I love the setting and weird feeling the anime gives me. Shizuo and Izaya are awesome. I think it was episode 10 which ended pretty nice. I am intrigued what's next. It feels like a cat & mouse game.  

Just finished re-watching durarara for the first time dubbed. It wasn't horrible but outside of one or two characters I thought the sub was more enjoyable to listen to. I've seen the show before and really I think it's about the mid-way point when the series really begins to pick up. It's unfortunate though that the story focuses primarily on the 3 high school students since the other characters were definitely interesting and enjoyable to watch. The series starts off confusing and in this way it's a bit like Baccano! in which we follow multiple points of views (lots of characters no major time hopping though) which is one of the things I like about this anime. It doesn't help that I'm a rather large fan of Narita Ryogo the creator and am also a fan of Takahiro Omori's directing style so I went in thinking I'd already like it. The dub again had some casting choices I'm not sure I would agree with but it wasn't awful either. It's definitely not a show for everyone though and if people don't get attached to the characters right off the bat it's unlikely people will stick with the show. It also takes a while before it gets overly interesting and then the ending while good definitely felt like it wasn't as good as it could be. Either way I have hopes the second season will be interesting. 

I'll discuss it more once people have actually finished it there's a question about the ending I would like to pose as well as asking what everyone's favorite character was. On a side note to all Baccano! viewers, who loved seeing the cameos?

I'm 10 episodes in thus far and loving it! My only complaint is that I get the impression the first half of the anime is build-up because I get the feeling nothing has actually happened yet, that we're only getting to know the characters. (Shizuo is hilarious btw)

Just finished re-watching durarara for the first time dubbed. It wasn't horrible but outside of one or two characters I thought the sub was more enjoyable to listen to. I've seen the show before and really I think it's about the mid-way point when the series really begins to pick up. It's unfortunate though that the story focuses primarily on the 3 high school students since the other characters were definitely interesting and enjoyable to watch. The series starts off confusing and in this way it's a bit like Baccano! in which we follow multiple points of views (lots of characters no major time hopping though) which is one of the things I like about this anime. It doesn't help that I'm a rather large fan of Narita Ryogo the creator and am also a fan of Takahiro Omori's directing style so I went in thinking I'd already like it. The dub again had some casting choices I'm not sure I would agree with but it wasn't awful either. It's definitely not a show for everyone though and if people don't get attached to the characters right off the bat it's unlikely people will stick with the show. It also takes a while before it gets overly interesting and then the ending while good definitely felt like it wasn't as good as it could be. Either way I have hopes the second season will be interesting. 

I'll discuss it more once people have actually finished it there's a question about the ending I would like to pose as well as asking what everyone's favorite character was. On a side note to all Baccano! viewers, who loved seeing the cameos?

I have the dual audio version and have switched to the dub a few times during both funny and serious moments, but I haven't a very good impression of it. I'm glad to see my hypothesis that the story won't "pick up" until the second half was spot on. So far I really like Shizuo's character and feel like he's (at the very least) going to become great friends with Celty. What is this you're saying about a second season? Are new episodes going to be coming out...? Edit: after looking it up on MAL, it looks as if I started watching this at just the right time~!

Finished the first ep of Durarara.

My thoughts so far.

-Kida...you can't have the same voice actor as Okabe Rintaro and Raito Yagami...this is just so...different.

-All these stories of gangs in Ikebukuro, really interesting.

-The biker.

-The biker, part two.

-Glorious HD on HDTV.

I have now finished the first three episodes and am reporting now since it's finally intrigued me and gotten my interest.

Up to episode 3

So I've started to figure out the characters and separate them into different groups.

I apologize for not using names but I'm terrible at those.

We have protagonist-kun. He's painfully similar to me outside of my habitat, really...

He has a blond friend. This blond friend is connected to many of the characters we've seen thus far, in some way or another. 

There's the group of friends the blond guy has. These are all, seemingly, good people.

There's two other girls in their class who were highlighted. The one who used to have black hair and now has twin-tails and one with black hair and glasses (and a strangely big bust).

The circumstances about the one with glasses remain a mystery.

The one with the twin-tails was a victim of a scheme of the guy with black hair, who I assume is rather powerful and well connected. He employed an actual gang and a very mythical motorbiker. He does all of this for entertainment. He's an enemy of the blond bartender.

This motorbiker is very strange. I'll assume it has something to do with the scientist-looking fellow we saw with him once. He (or maybe she, since she's usually referred to that way) seems to discourage crime and is generally good. She personally knows both the black haired guy and the blond bartender, even though they are enemies.

The blond bartender is incredibly strong and violent. He is acquaintances with another guy who doesn't believe in occult, not much is known about him yet. He was stopped by Simon. Can't say whether he's good or bad.

Simon (English names are much better) is a Russian sushi man. He's also a good person despite his looks. 

Finally, a ginger (I think that's how it is) girl with marks all over her neck was introduced but not much is known about her yet.

As for the story itself, everyone has their own circumstances, which I assume will start to connect sooner or later. Probably later because 24 episodes is quite a bit.

I have noticed there are two different narrators. Whether there is anything more to this is yet to be seen.

The text chat seems to be convenient plot exposure machine.

Now... Onto watching more!