Jump to content
Crysis99

Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete Translation Project

Recommended Posts

On 07/09/2016 at 11:22 PM, Crysis99 said:

Here, have another screenshot.

aGjea9j.jpg

Any good and/or complicated reason for using Japanese quotation marks instead of English apart from "I like them?" I don't really believe they belong in a translation, even for style reasons... Of course you're free to do whatever you like, but I think it'd look more natural to use real quotation marks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the opposite point of view, their presence makes absolutely no difference either way and is therefore purely aesthetic. I'd go so far as to say that only people who know what they are are bothered by them. Well, I certainly never was, nor did I notice their presence at all.

Just one more opinion to add to the pile that the translation team may or may not care about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ittaku said:

Any good and/or complicated reason for using Japanese quotation marks instead of English apart from "I like them?" I don't really believe they belong in a translation, even for style reasons... Of course you're free to do whatever you like, but I think it'd look more natural to use real quotation marks.

Well if there had to be a reason it'd be that the backlog would choke over the spoken lines without the JP quotation marks, and personally I think they look better than having English quotation. A matter of preference in the end, a decision probably made on a whim.

For a while now, however, we've actually opted for no quotation marks, which probably looks the best of the three options I suppose. If you see our latest screenshot (which is hidden behind a hyperlink), you'd notice that there aren't anymore quotation marks. This has come about with us developing a style guide quite a while back, and other changes to style that we've made including dropping honorifics altogether, switching from calling Nagisa, "Senapi" to simply "Hanamiya", or from "bento" to "lunch box". There are also other changes, and we hope they'll be better received.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

From the opposite point of view, their presence makes absolutely no difference either way and is therefore purely aesthetic. I'd go so far as to say that only people who know what they are are bothered by them. Well, I certainly never was, nor did I notice their presence at all.

Just one more opinion to add to the pile that the translation team may or may not care about.

It seems they do care about it and have moved away from them anyway. Actually my question was partly technical because certain game engines rely on you hovering over text that is spoken to be able to repeat the voice in it and may need the 「」 markers to identify the spoken text otherwise they won't work. So I wasn't just expressing my displeasure for the style aspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2016 at 4:09 PM, Crysis99 said:

Well actually... we already have a translator willing to do the H-scenes. Hooray I suppose. Though it did slip my mind to at least mention it here, you can always follow the Luna Translations site for news, as the part about us doing the H-scenes was actually mentioned there in one of Aizen's posts. In any case, I'll reformat the OP sometime soon to make it more useful.

Now, while we may be doing the H-scenes, they are still on a low priority, which means that the translation for the main story will always take precedent over the H-scenes. This shouldn't really affect anyone now, but just letting everyone know.

While I'm here, I might as well announce the bad news. Unfortunately, we have to re-translate until around 20_BB-08-10, which is like 50~% of Airi's route. It's not that  bad, just think of it as another round of TLC or something, except it will probably take longer.

you say you're announcing bad news, but wouldn't the worst news you could hear as someone looking forward to something be no news at all? or is that just my thought proccess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2016 at 7:24 PM, Crysis99 said:

Well if there had to be a reason it'd be that the backlog would choke over the spoken lines without the JP quotation marks, and personally I think they look better than having English quotation. A matter of preference in the end, a decision probably made on a whim.

For a while now, however, we've actually opted for no quotation marks, which probably looks the best of the three options I suppose. If you see our latest screenshot (which is hidden behind a hyperlink), you'd notice that there aren't anymore quotation marks. This has come about with us developing a style guide quite a while back, and other changes to style that we've made including dropping honorifics altogether, switching from calling Nagisa, "Senapi" to simply "Hanamiya", or from "bento" to "lunch box". There are also other changes, and we hope they'll be better received.

I personally think it is better to keep the honorifics and that. Most people that read visual novels know what a bento is and know what honorifics are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks. Crysis is out for a while with spotty internet, so I'm just posting a quick status update in his absence so people know 1) that we're still here and 2) what our current progress is, in case you aren't religiously checking our progress tracker. Oh, and, uh, I haven't posted in this thread yet, have I? Hi, I've been editing on on this project for a few months now :miyako:.

Crysis is working on translating Nagisa's route, which is now at 56% translated and 14% edited. Meanwhile, our second translator has picked up working on Kaori's route, which is now at 16% translated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone!

I'm back from my vacation and I'll be resuming work on Nagisa's route soon enough. Not much has been made in the way of progress this time, but we are working on it. Progress has been slow, especially in the way of TLC. Also, I haven't started on the re-translation, I'll probably get to it after Nagisa's route. For exact numbers, do visit our progress tracker, though you'll probably only find around a 1% increase in numbers.

Well not much for today, just wanted to let everyone know we aren't dead yet. Till next week I suppose~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×