Are Kinetic Novels Good or Bad?

Giki190

Your Thoughts on Kinetic Novels?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about Kinetic Novels?

• They're fun, but I wouldn't play them often.
    • They're fun, I play them often.
    • They're fun, and better than "Normal" Visual Novels.
    • They're not fun, what's the point of a Visual Novel without choices?
    • I haven't played them, but they sound okay.
    • I haven't played them, but they sound horrible

This poll is closed to new votes

Though you could say, experiencing all of the endings (both bad and good) is you unlocking the full experience. An experience Kinetic and normal books cannot give you.

When done right (unfortunately it rarely is) bad endings help develop your perception of a character. You get to see different sides of them that you wouldn't otherwise see. It is for this reason that I do read the bad endings for the visual novels that go out of their way to make them good. However, I avoid the hassle of having to figure out the correct or incorrect choices. Walkthroughs help me avoid needless frustration and ultimately allow me to enjoy the story in a more leisurely way.  

When done right (unfortunately it rarely is) bad endings help develop your perception of a character. You get to see different sides of them that you wouldn't otherwise see. It is for this reason that I do read the bad endings for the visual novels that go out of their way to make them good. However, I avoid the hassle of having to figure out the correct or incorrect choices. Walkthroughs help me avoid needless frustration and ultimately allow me to enjoy the story in a more leisurely way.  

I agree however most the times bad ends are just a waste of your time

I think the dividing routes coupled with multiple converging storylines, are what sets VNs apart and what makes it unique, Kinetic don't have that uniqueness. I'm not saying their particularly bad, just sub-par to great experiences like Fate/ Stay Night and G-Senjou 

Idk, when your thread title asks "good or bad" with you arguing against kinetic visual novels, it makes it sound like you do think they are bad :P but I'll accept if your stance is that you prefer standard visual novels over kinetic visual novels~

Given the choice (pun intended), I would choose a VN with choices over a kinetic VN any day. I like choices :D.

But as others have said, there's nothing wrong with kinetic novels!

Sometimes you got visual novels with choices that don't add anything to the plot itself or even paths that don't make any sense (talking about the main plot always). Bad endings for example, most of the time are silly and don't add anything.

So if the plot itself doesn't need of branches it's fine with me.

I think the dividing routes coupled with multiple converging storylines, are what sets VNs apart and what makes it unique, Kinetic don't have that uniqueness. I'm not saying their particularly bad, just sub-par to great experiences like Fate/ Stay Night and G-Senjou 

Can't talk about fate/stay night but g-senjou no maou for example most of the side stories they dont make sense in terms of the main plot.

For example:

, in most of the side stories leaving aside haru's path, your brother doesn't exist and it was you all along or at least he stops bothering you and everyone else with his plans....doesn't make sense in terms of plot, I'm not saying they were bad or anything.

It's a meaningless argument - the existence of choices does not add to or take away from the quality of the writing.  If the writing's good I frankly don't care about the choices either way - Umineko's my favorite VN thus far.

This isn't an argument, just a discussion on KNs (Kinetic Novels).

Idk, when your thread title asks "good or bad" with you arguing against kinetic visual novels, it makes it sound like you do think they are bad :P but I'll accept if your stance is that you prefer standard visual novels over kinetic visual novels~

Given the choice (pun intended), I would choose a VN with choices over a kinetic VN any day. I like choices :D.

But as others have said, there's nothing wrong with kinetic novels!

Good or bad is just a conversation starter that everyone can understand, but you have to admit that bad kinetics could most likely be helped with the addition of diverging paths. 

I'm pretty neutral about them. I mean, it all boils down to the content, the format doesn't really affect my decision on whether one VN is better than another. And besides, some KNs chose this format and lack choices because well, they don't need them. Look at Narcissu, Planetarian and True Remembrance, just to name a few. 

Pretty much what Nosebleed said. Kinetic novels are kinetic novels, they are both different ways to deliver a story. Whether or not they're good or bad depends on the content. To make a comparison, I don't watch many short films (because the format doesn't hold my attention as strongly as feature length films do), but I recognize there's a lot of great, thought-provoking ones.

I dont know most the bad endings ive ever seen hold no true value to the main story line and they're usually quiet dumb school days for example the bad endings are completely retarded an over the top

:lol: The bad endings are the only reason to play School Days, in my opinion.

And only if you haven't been tipped off about them too.

I'm pretty neutral about them. I mean, it all boils down to the content, the format doesn't really affect my decision on whether one VN is better than another. And besides, some KNs chose this format and lack choices because well, they don't need them. Look at Narcissu, Planetarian and True Remembrance, just to name a few. 

Yup this me too.