[Ongoing] FAQs

This thread is meant to be used for problems that need to be added to the FAQs.

Basically the goal is to improve the FAQs and add all the issues that pop up around the forums related to our releases so people have the solutions they're looking for right at hand and don't need to keep asking the same question over and over.

This is a public project so anyone can contribute.

Things to keep in mind:

1. Only issues related to our releases are to be added 
  2. If there's no FAQ thread for the VN in question, one will be made
  3. Mods are in charge of adding things now but hopefully BMs will have access to editing abilities as well.
  4. Please use the format for the FAQs in order to make everything match
  5. The steps should be as simple as possible and straight to the point

Format:

Description of the problem

Exlanation of why the issue happens (optional but might be helpful in some cases)

1. Step 1
  2. Step 2
  3. Step 3
  4. etc

Hope we can all work together for this to make technical support more efficient.

I might have messed up the format at times, and might have writted down some redundant stuff but with something this tl;dr, can you blame me after going through every post I did in tech support?

Universal

Could not load file:

Stop seeding bluh bluh...
Try re-downloading, file corruption is rare but happens.

Japanese locale:

1.If the game requires Japanese system locale (many do), make sure you have that set up, and have restarted your computer after changing the setting.
1a.There is a setting that looks a lot like Japanese system locale, but isn't; make sure you did it as this guide says.

2. If you absolutely can't do this because other programs get messed up by it, try using one of the custom versions http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/328830-How-to-run-Japanese-games-%28AppLocale%29 of applocale to run it. Note that this will still cause (sometimes subtle) errors at times.

Registry read errors:

Indications:

- Errors that show strange meaningless text, sometimes with a few words in English.
- "read error", "could not find", "could not open" and sometimes other errors.

1. If your game is installed in Program Files or somewhere under Users, try moving it up to a new folder (say, C:\game\). This might give you some other issues, check individual FAQs for that.

2. If the path to your has weird non-english characters in it (say, Polish, Russian or whatever), try moving it somewhere else as well. Same potential problems as above.

Game won't go into fullscreen properly / I want to keep aspect ratio in fullscreen:

1. Check if the game doesn't just have a fullscreen setting.

2. Try holding the alt key then pressing the enter key.

3. There are certain graphic card settings that can help fix this. However they differ a lot, so if you want help / google fails you post a topic in voluntary.
3a. To find what graphic card(s) you have (which we will need to help), use this program http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/.

F/SN

1. If you get a crash at a certain line, you can try to fast-forward through it by holding ctrl.

Ayakashibito

Requires japanese unicode locale.

Registry read error(s), potentially various others:

1. Your computer must be in Japanese locale when you run the .bat file. If you set it to Japanese locale afterwards you need to run the .bat file again, possibly as administrator.

2. If you moved the game from where you put it when you ran the .bat file, either move it back or try running it as administrator (to let it overwrite previous entries).

3. If you're using a very old version Kendjin messed up and used a broken .bat file. This won't happen on a newer release. You can try replacing aya.bat with this one then running it again http://fuwanovel.moe/dl/Aya.bat.

4. If all else fails: find the registry key InstPath at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\propeller\あやかしびと in the registry editor and post what it says. Something more unusual might have happened. If you need help to do this / don't understand what the hell I just said just open a thread in voluntary tech support.

Symphonic Rain

Requires Japanese unicode locale.

Invisible text:

1. Make sure you are running SR_qc.exe, not SR.exe.

2. You may need to install the Essai font. Double-click on the file named Essai included in the download.

3. If you moved the game from where it was when you ran the .bat file, either move it back or just run the .bat file again.

Crash on certain lines:

1. Load a save up using the Japanese program (SR.exe).
1a. Click through one or a few lines.
1b. Save.
1c. Load in the English program (SR_qc.exe).

2. Fast-forward through the line by holding ctrl.

Minigame:

It's way too hard:

1. I think I set the default mini-game difficulty to hard. Since SR gameplay is pretty hardcore, you might want to try normal to start with.

2. If it's too hard anyway or you can't be bothered you can set it to auto-play the songs in the options menu.

Timing seems off:

1. Try changing timing mode in the options menu.

Wrong/weird characters on notes:

1. When playing you will see symbols that clearly aren't right on some notes. These are actually just to the left/right of the other keys used; for example, on the jkl; scale, ";" is displayed as "+".

I/O

Requires Japanese unicode locale.

1. Make sure you're running r2_en.exe

1. If you moved the game from where you put it when you ran the .bat file, either move it back or try running it as administrator (to let it overwrite previous entries).

2. If you're using a very old version Kendjin messed up and used a broken .bat file. This won't happen on a newer release.

Sono Hanabira series:

-Keeps giving errors / going out of fullscreen periodically:

1. Try running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3.

Window won't stretch properly:

1. There are certain graphic card settings that can help fix this. However they differ a lot, so if you want help / google fails you post a topic in voluntary. (this is also in general fixes but is an especially persistent issue with this game, which usually runs at opriginal resolution with a black square around it)

Hoshizora no Memoria

Saves don't show after you close then reopen the game:

1. Try running it as adminitrator. If running as administrator, not running as administrator.
1a. You'll need to stick to one of these afterward.

Progress doesn't save:

Known issue, no known definitive fix. The save issue might have something to do with it. You can ask for a full save file if desperate.

Autoskip keeps going after common route, skipping unread text:

Yeah, you'll just have to stop it manually after [i can't remember which event]. Same error in Japanese version I think.

Chaos;Head

The listed save file issue also happens in ch6 as far as I know. That or 8...

• 3 weeks later...