Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm Translation Project

OriginalRen

42 minutes ago, andzalot55 said:

So... I am trying to understand this. The translation is being delayed due to arrogance? Well in all honesty, the translators need to take their time. I say its better for it to be late than to never deliver.

He put the project on hold when he received backlash. There's supposedly another group on fb that's translating it but I wouldn't hold my breath.

1 hour ago, andzalot55 said:

So... I am trying to understand this. The translation is being delayed due to arrogance? Well in all honesty, the translators need to take their time. I say its better for it to be late than to never deliver.

The project is delayed because the translated scripts are missing.  As in, OriginalRen deleted them.  Accidentally.

At this state, while my post earlier said that I wish @OriginalRen good luck, I also had some doubt to be honest, so let's just said that I'll give him time to prove himself until December. After that, called him anything with hate mail or anything harsh to @OriginalRen is no matter anymore to me lol (Well, he didn't care too anyway).

@Maxel Personally I think your post was more expressed disappointment very much after you hype for Aokana (Usually the one who dared to express his anger expressively was the one who look forward the most). Although I understand you anger, I think it's useless to express your anger since he was also take hiatus from Fuwanovel. Either way, my suggestion just calm yourself down and waiting until December. And if you didn't satisfied with that, after December you may called this 2nd Dracu Riot fiasco. Oh, sorry to said this, but your post was to be very honest very very slightly annoying to me, you know (I knew that you raise some point in your post though).

@bigfatround0 Interesting point, although I'd never going to /r/vns though, so I'd only check @astro activity from either his Fuwanovel account or his Twitter, and those two was show lack of activity since January so I thinking that he might be inactive. Thanks for the info.

Edit - Since he was back at his site at least, I think let's see it later, and if some of user here interested as well, might try to help. And don't forget to bring this advice "BACKUP YOUR TRANSLATION FILE" to him, okay (Sorry for all caps, but it's important message so this kind of drama didn't happened again). Here's his first post for reestablishing the project. Believe it or not was up to you though, but I'll more to see it later, and believe it until December at least.

Edit 2 - I'd delete some of the word that might be offensive in this post.

Yeah, how about people don't send hate mail?  It's disappointing that there won't be a patch coming out in the foreseeable future, but that's no reason to be a dick.  And no, I really don't think giving Ren messages that consist of "BACKUP YOUR TRANSLATION FILE" will help at all.  Do you really think he hasn't learned that lesson by now?  lmao

Obviously, if anyone posts anything hateful in this thread (or on Fuwa in general), it'll be taken down.  Being mature in the face of disappointments and setbacks is part of being an adult (and a nice person), and being on the internet doesn't change that.  If anyone needs a refresher on how to be respectful (which would be rather amusing, but sad at the same time), re-read the rules.

TL;DR: We don't really care if you're upset, don't be a dick.  It's against the rules.

Mod @Zenophilious

Sorry, guess I just caught up in emotion from @Maxel post. And if you said that Ren already learned from his lesson, then he should (Although if he's not, well I didn't know what to said other than lame for very polite word). But if my word was offensive to @Maxel, I'm sorry. I'm just once again slightly annoying of how he couldn't calm down and instead write his anger. Although I was also disappointed, but it's not like if @Maxel really need to represent the people who disappointed very much with this case imo. Once again I'm sorry. And about hate mail, well Ren will probably delete it anyway from the moment he saw the subject. Writing hate mail was more useless than not anyway, since Ren state that he didn't care about that anymore iirc.

TLDR - I may be disappointed by this incident, but I'd far more disappointed by @Maxel reaction. And no, once again by saying he didn't look forward to it will not convince me at all. And to all of the people here who was disappointed because of this incident, let's just follow @OriginalRen progress for now (To me at least until December). And about all caps messages, I think it's still important, since who know that he might be forget (Although hopefully my assumption turned out to be wrong). Either way, let's return this thread to follow @OriginalRen progress of translating Aokana.

@littleshogun Are you disappointed in what? I didn't believe his story, I think if you decide to do something, translating for example, and then announce it, finish it. Be it one year, be it two/three. If you're slow TL, you have lack of progress etc. doesn't matter, finish it even in 5 years. 

The story of Ren is simple, fast progress, astro out of the ship in the early stages, then we hit 100% after a year~~ And boom, files are gone. 

I wouldn't be as angry as I am at the man if he would tell the truth for whole time, or if he would just say "Sorry, I don't have power to finish this one, when astro said he wanted money, it was too much for me to handle" The scenario we're talking about is possible to happen, but the possibility of it is like 1/1000 ? Maybe even lesser. When people are deciding to do something big, they usually care about it, and protect it. 

"All the files were only stored on Google Drive" <- Well, I think it's a common knowledge to have backups(make backups) In case when you delete them, and delete already deleted files once more, because, well, yeah, why not? What Ren should do is just: "The project never was 100% translated, I just had no heart to tell you guys" or some bullshit like this, instead of doing what he did.

I'm not disappointed, because of the game itself, I'm disappointed, because of Ren, and how people are announcing things/creating pages without delivering. Sure, they don't have to deliver anything, but when you commit to translating the game, then stay commited...

Imagine that people would create TL projects for Baldr Sky/Muramasa/Dies Irae/Ikusa Megami Zero/AkaGoei and all of them would hit 100% in a year or two, and then boom, data lost. I just don't like bullshit like this... It's not 2000 year, where PC and everything just started, it's 2016, data can be easily stored/recovered from X/XX different sources...

There was no evidences of any progress with translation, when numbers were jumping... For me, Ren can go away(you tried, you had 100% translated game, I think that's enough), I just don't want people to create projects/announce it/hype it/post progress every x weeks, and then saying the data is gone. If you want to do something like that, drop the idea before it will go too far.

@Decay Sorry for my engrish, after all English wasn't my first language. And about grammar, back in my school I'd too lazy to learn it, and as for the result I got bad score.

So, actually Decay just summarize enough what I want to said in clearer form here, especially to @Maxel here. What I disappointed was that you tried to spread your speculation without knowing it's true or not. My suggestion is Maxel better post his speculation at board (For example 4chan. I'd visit there sometimes, and let's just said it was a little chaotic), although I understand if you angry because of this issue though. But try to spreading speculation definitely didn't help anything at all.

About mod favoritism, once again I didn't care much. What I care was once again if OriginalRen could deliver the patch at very late in December 2016 (Consider I'm very generous about deadline, since he promised that he'll deliver it at October). If you want to know my opinion, I'm looking forward to it, but not much okay.

Well, you clearly don't know Ren's sordid history with the mods here if you think that, bigfatround. Because he is definitely not their favorite, lol.

So, since I'm here anyways, I guess I'll weigh in. The way I see things, there are aspects of the story that are suspicious, and there are parts where it would make absolutely no sense for him to make up. The suspicious elements are obvious. What doesn't make sense to me is that after he issued an excuse for the delay a couple months ago, why wouldn't he just stay silent if he actually had nothing at all? Why would he go public with this really damning story just to get what would obviously be huge amounts of flak? I've talked to Ren in private, and I've known about this for a month or so now, he was really afraid of telling everyone about the missing files because of the backlash. Eventually he did anyways. If it was all a complete fabrication, why would he go through with that? It doesn't really make sense to me.

I also don't understand how the files got deleted anyways, but from what I heard, he actually is the type who would empty virtual recycling bins for no good reason (he would ask mods to completely delete the entire archived existence of some of his deleted threads/posts, even if him and no one else could ever see them...). Still, google support couldn't restore it? No one else has backups? It's all very strange. So, to be 100% honest, I don't exactly know what to believe. What I do know is that I don't really care. I truly don't. I don't see how digging deeper into that will help anything, except titillating those who get off on the schadenfreude. 

What interests me most is if the community can still come together and produce a fan translation for this. I've grown pessimistic about fan translations lately, honestly. Every time I see a new project, I reflexively think  "I hope it does well, but I'm not expecting much." So to be frank, if Ren wants to recruit a new translator and start over from scratch again, he has a very difficult journey ahead of him and the odds are viciously stacked against him. Despite all that has happened, I really hope it goes well for him, but man, it seems rough. Then there's the other translation group. They're real, and they started for really dubious reasons. I'm just as, if not more skeptical of their prospects. Basically, the project leader thought Ren was selling out to Sekai Project and vowed, purely out of spite, to release a complete patch in September, one month earlier than Ren's projected date of October. If you start a project with that kind of motivation, how likely is it that you'll actually get anything noteworthy done? Still, all the same, even if it's from them, I hope they're somehow able to produce a good quality translation. 

If the two groups could miraculously come together and actually produce something of worth, hey, wouldn't that be great? If they fail, then everyone loses. 

... After al the crap in this thread since I brought it back up, I wish I didn't post anything.
Stuff happens, if it's still getting translated then I'm all for it & thankful, because lbh, It most likely wouldn't have been until maybe 2020 if it was brought over officially. It sucks that it's not coming out as soon as I was really Really hoping it would, but I'm not going to type out a 3-4 paragraph post expressing my opinion on the matter, because I'm not the one translating it, so I wouldn't know what actually happened to the files. Nor do I care.

@OriginalRen good luck with it, If you need some help or something from a nobody english speaker, just PM me. Otherwise I look forward to your work and Misaki's route, VERY MUCH!

I'm going back to the Majikoi thread where it's safe and warm with their special Wanko Cake & Mayucchi tea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, OriginalRen said:

I absorbed 2 of the translators who were helping him. The dude has done this before and is apparently shady as hell. Very similar to Façade if you remember him.

Anyways, an update on plans going forward and where we are will come this Sunday! Thanks for all the support!

But is he as shady as that ChuSinGura kickstarter? :makina: