Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm Translation Project

OriginalRen

• 1 month later...

My reaction to people’s hate mail for delays and comments about another team currently planning to translate the entire game and release it on September 1st of 2016

https://aokanatranslation.wordpress.com/

eeeeh no?

Someone kindly reminded me in an email that I promised an update after the 13th of February. I forgot to post an update about the game at that time, so I thought this would be a good time to do that. No point in hiding any information since the last thing I want to do with this project is create another Dracu-riot! fiasco.

My own arrogance in Google Drive fucked me over and I ended up losing 40% of the scripts for the game. Did I back up the files? No. While I still have the blank scripts, I lost all of the routes and am currently only sitting on a large chunk of the common route. Those common route scripts are currently with astro, and for some odd reason I can’t reach out to him anymore. He’s completely ghosting me and I have nothing to work with. I am currently trying to work on translating the routes of the game, but without astro giving me access to the common route, I can’t do much. I’m sure he’s just as angry at me as anyone else.

That being said, I’m trying my best with my own lack of motivation due to what happened, and I do apologize for letting you down. I already have other things that I would much rather be doing with my life than texting and spamming astro for the common route scripts and working on another edit of the routes after they are re-translated from scratch. At first I remained confident and kept it a secret, but I don’t think that’s what the visual novel scene represents. Hate mail is part of the internet, but fighting with each other is kind of pointless.

Am I still working on the game? Yes. I am working on translating the routes again from scratch, but it’s not something you can easily do when the whole internet wants to tear you apart for your work; having to lay out the actual truth is already pathetic enough. I was hoping to get the scripts for the common route which are saved on astro’s side so I can edit a common route patch near the end of spring, but I’m not too sure that will happen.

If it is true another group plans to release the game in September, do it; the fan translation scene needs to work together on these sorts of things, not hate each other and argue who releases what. I’m not going to horde scripts from you; this isn’t Dracu-riot! That being said, if you really do plan to release the game let me know because I’ll give you what scripts I have and drop the project. I’d much rather just keep this site up for promotional purposes so people can be interested in checking out the game for themselves. A friend of mine is currently scanning in the CE guidebook from the game after I sold him one of my copies. We plan to translate the director/artist/voice actress interviews for this site in the coming months.

Overall, astro himself said he wasn’t interested in working on the project anymore. I don’t blame him nor do I blame anyone for being upset. If fans stop following the site, so be it. If the rest of the internet wants to hate me for all eternity, so be it, but at least work together on making this game a reality for those who enjoy visual novels. Hate me all you’d like, but don’t hate the genre and ruin it for everyone else.

So, there it is, laid out in full. I’ll continue working on the routes and aim for that October goal as I promised. I’ll keep posting updates as if nothing happened and just pick back up where I left off, but if that means loss of interest in the game and my project, so be it.

Thanks to all the fans who have supported the project thus far and I look forward to future updates with you. I am terribly sorry I have let you down thus far. That’s all I can say.

Aokana is a great game. I wouldn’t have put this much effort in the site if I didn’t care for it.

https://aokanatranslation.wordpress.com/2016/03/15/aokana-update-03152016/

Whelp, not sure what to think about that but losing stuff on google drive plus some of the reddit comments ... meh i better dont say any more:salt:

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/4alyk0/aokana_translation_bad_news/d11l6p2

Hey all,

For those of you who don't follow the actual updated blog, I am sure you are aware of what is going on with the project and what has happened. I want to personally apologize for the lack of information and mishap on my part, both to the entire community and to @astro, @binaryfail, and the rest of the people who assisted in the project. I'm fine with the hate, I can take it, but I just want you to know that this project does mean a lot to me and it is something I continue to be hyped for. I understand a lot of mistakes were because of me, and I just want you to know I am sorry. I understand that astro and the rest of the team no longer wishes to speak to me, so I can't say much else aside from that I fucked up.

As for a team picking up the project in 2016 of September, I'm not sure if that's a real statement. Never in my life have I heard of another group of people getting so upset that they straight up feel the need to take a project from another group (not even Little Busters EX and Dracu-riot! was fully taken seeing how many delays/slow translations that game has offered) and feel the need to post about it and rub it in someone's face on their actual TL blog. It's a little disheartened, but I guess in the grand scheme of things its all about the game itself and so long as people get to enjoy it at the end of the day, I'm happy about it.

Again, I am sorry. I really don't have anything else to say regarding the mistake I made.

1 hour ago, OriginalRen said:

Hey all,

For those of you who don't follow the actual updated blog, I am sure you are aware of what is going on with the project and what has happened. I want to personally apologize for the lack of information and mishap on my part, both to the entire community and to @astro, @binaryfail, and the rest of the people who assisted in the project. I'm fine with the hate, I can take it, but I just want you to know that this project does mean a lot to me and it is something I continue to be hyped for. I understand a lot of mistakes were because of me, and I just want you to know I am sorry. I understand that astro and the rest of the team no longer wishes to speak to me, so I can't say much else aside from that I fucked up.

As for a team picking up the project in 2016 of September, I'm not sure if that's a real statement. Never in my life have I heard of another group of people getting so upset that they straight up feel the need to take a project from another group (not even Little Busters EX and Dracu-riot! was fully taken seeing how many delays/slow translations that game has offered) and feel the need to post about it and rub it in someone's face on their actual TL blog. It's a little disheartened, but I guess in the grand scheme of things its all about the game itself and so long as people get to enjoy it at the end of the day, I'm happy about it.

Again, I am sorry. I really don't have anything else to say regarding the mistake I made.

The person who is claiming they are taking over the project is some kid on a closed facebook group, I wouldn't put too much stock into it personally. 

You lost ALL the routes? 

Better still you had NO BACKUP FILES?

ALWAYS HAVE BACKUP FILES.

I can see that you are remorseful and hope that your motivation is enough to get this game fully translated. As much as I am angry at this situation right now you have my support too.

6 hours ago, douggle said:

The person who is claiming they are taking over the project is some kid on a closed facebook group, I wouldn't put too much stock into it personally. 

Wow, just yesterday I talked about if some of fan translator could be attention seeker and now this. Probably they were some troll or as I would said just attention seeker (Another example would be Natsuyume Nagisa translation group, who after 6% progress suddenly no progress). Although it sucks to be @OriginalRen though if you forgot to make back up script and loss everything because Google Drive suddenly crashed because of technical error from server or something like that. About the translation of all routes, I would like to give suggestion just try to work it by yourself, but you already did that anyway and made the backup data, since contacting @astro may be futile (His twitter last active at 11th January and his last post here were at November 2015, so he might busy with work and not online anymore, just like TakaJun when he abandoned Yandere Translation imo). And I hope you could get through all of this, @OriginalRen.

Best case scenario = "Hey, Aokana will be translated in a year or so!"

Good scenario = "Hey guys, we have a 8 months delay, the game will still be out!"

Bad/Neutral scenario = Aokana remains untranslated, nothing was announced

Worst case scenario(False hope scenario) = "Hey Aokana will be translated in a year or so! We have a 8 months delay, the game will still be out! I deleted all the files from google drive(the only source where translation was) and also deleted the already deleted files, sorry! But I'll still keep project going!" 

We have not seen any screenshots/videos/proofs that anything was ever translated. Prove me wrong? If u wanted to keep people updated on the project, you could make 1-3 min vids showing small parts of translation? No one will believe that you "accidently" double deleted the files, lol. Google support ignored you? Nice.

Telling lies is bad, but covering lies with other lies is just... Have balls to say that the TL wasn't done or something. In case I'm wrong and somehow that shit happened, sorry. Would like to see some evidences that the translation was done. You could give us a sneak, you "decided" not to. Really let me tell you, hyping people up and then crushing this hype/hopes to nothing is way, way worse than leaving the game alone(not doing the translation)

I've seen u as a good guy, doing some contests with prizes, helping people around, buying things for people, selling some figures/VN stuff cheap. Now? Idk.

1 hour ago, Maxel said:

We have not seen any screenshots/videos/proofs that anything was ever translated. Prove me wrong? If u wanted to keep people updated on the project, you could make 1-3 min vids showing small parts of translation? No one will believe that you "accidently" double deleted the files, lol. Google support ignored you? Nice.

Telling lies is bad, but covering lies with other lies is just... Have balls to say that the TL wasn't done or something. In case I'm wrong and somehow that shit happened, sorry. Would like to see some evidences that the translation was done. You could give us a sneak, you "decided" not to. Really let me tell you, hyping people up and then crushing this hype/hopes to nothing is way, way worse than leaving the game alone(not doing the translation)

I've seen u as a good guy, doing some contests with prizes, helping people around, buying things for people, selling some figures/VN stuff cheap. Now? Idk.

I mean he doesn't really OWE us anything. We didn't pay for anything, nothing was promised, so I don't get why some people act like Ren committed some serious crime. I've learned to never expect that a translation project will finish, only to be pleasantly surprised and of course thankful when it does. The mentality that translators (or anyone in life) owe you anything because you think they do isn't the best mindset to have. Letting people know about the incident earlier would've been nice, but I get that shit happens and people make mistakes. I'm far from perfect myself. and thus I don't expect anyone else to be.

1 hour ago, Maxel said:

... what?

I can't understand everything ren said in his video, so if I may ask:

Did he lost all the translation or only part of the common route? Astro did the whole translation alone?

What is Ren planning and what will happen to this project?

I've got no issues with waiting to be honest, however has nobody else asked to help you on this? As Shoujo-Tachi has showed, it's better with a team because you always have the slacker that decided to backup the data to something else because they're too lazy to keep looking at the online server.

Still looking forward to the translation, but I may just read Misaki's route before now. I'm getting kind of bored with the VN's I have...

8 hours ago, Maxel said:

This is probably the most entitled post I've ever seen. Fan TLs don't get paid; most have jobs or school or whatever else in life they have to deal with. Each project is taken up so that other people can enjoy the game the way the TLs do/did. I'm not sure if Ren is translating himself, but I gather he is, so he could just as easily read and enjoy the game and say to hell with everyone else who wants to read it.

As for accidentally deleting backups, trust me, it's a lot easier than you think. Astonishingly so.

If you don't like Ren or think he's a liar or whatever, translate the damn game yourself. Otherwise, shut up and wait.

5 hours ago, twdarkeh said:

This is probably the most entitled post I've ever seen. Fan TLs don't get paid; most have jobs or school or whatever else in life they have to deal with. Each project is taken up so that other people can enjoy the game the way the TLs do/did. I'm not sure if Ren is translating himself, but I gather he is, so he could just as easily read and enjoy the game and say to hell with everyone else who wants to read it.

As for accidentally deleting backups, trust me, it's a lot easier than you think. Astonishingly so.

If you don't like Ren or think he's a liar or whatever, translate the damn game yourself. Otherwise, shut up and wait.

I know it's free, I get it, I'm glad that some people are trying their hardest working for free, but when the guy is hyping his project, releasing updates, saying it's 100% translated etc. etc. and then it turns out to be a lie, some parts aren't translated, the guy is losing files or smthing, it's just rude to people I would actually prefer this gam to be never touched by anyone, no one would complain, no one would be sad, because of progress loss, release delayed by couple years etc. If your saying that you're translating something, and then going 100% and then saying some "things" without any proofs that the game won't be out in next X/XX months, I hate this kind of behaviour. You know how many people were hyped for it and waiting(I wasn't one of them tho)? When they heard announcement that the project was 100% they were jumping out of joy, what were they feeling after they heard it would take 8~~ months or so to dunno QC the script O.o? Now thye heard the progress was lost for al lthe routes, it was double deleted. It's better to not translate anything than to do things like this one. That's what I'm saying, and then you're doing shit like that, without any proofs that anything was even translated...

I admire people translating for free. I was doing so for a short period of time too. Hosting ALL the files on online storage only for years without ANY backups is just straight dumb. Double deleting them is even more dumb. If he's expecting people to not bash on him, well... I'm not exactly bashing on him, but I don't believe this story it's not creditable at all. I can create Baldr Sky project by myself, create nice wordpress page, hype the project, write updates telling people that it's being translated, hit 100% and tell people that I deleted the files on my drive. All this while not showing a single evidence of the single line of the game translated. Maybe the game is at 20% stage? or 10%? You don't know that. I just said the files were deleted. Would you like me to create such a project? I can do that if enough people would say so. People would be sad if they see some videos/screenshots and definitely won't say a bad thing about Ren, but without anything, and telling something like this after giving them hope, telling them the game is 100% etc.

Oh and I can think of better story: "I had all my translation files on portable HDD, I spilled the coffeee, everything went to shit! Sorry guys, can't help it. I'll translate everything from the start, wait a year or so."

TLDR; Provide evidences of steady progress to make you credible, and to make people trust/believe you, also backup your files on X different storages (online/HDD/portable drive) Game files being on only online storage for years = hard to believe.

On 3/16/2016 at 1:00 PM, douggle said:

Honestly regardless of whatever happened, in the end OriginalRen doesn't owe us anything. 

No, the only people OriginalRen owes is the people whose work he's lost.  Assuming it IS actually lost.  I mean--did OriginalRen ACTUALLY have the only copy of these files?  That seems kind of unlikely to me.  If multiple people worked on this project, as he suggests, then at least someone (besides Astro) should have their own copy of the scripts they worked on.

All this entitlement in this thread is giving me a headache. Ren doesn't owe anybody shit. It's his own project and people are acting like this is an official translation. It'd be a shitty thing to do if Ren is in fact lying even if it is a fan translation, but everybody is acting like Ren owes them this translation. If they feel like they're owed a TL of Aokana, all of you should get together and work on the project yourselves instead of whining about a goddamn fan TL.

On 3/16/2016 at 8:25 AM, littleshogun said:

Wow, just yesterday I talked about if some of fan translator could be attention seeker and now this. Probably they were some troll or as I would said just attention seeker (Another example would be Natsuyume Nagisa translation group, who after 6% progress suddenly no progress). Although it sucks to be @OriginalRen though if you forgot to make back up script and loss everything because Google Drive suddenly crashed because of technical error from server or something like that. About the translation of all routes, I would like to give suggestion just try to work it by yourself, but you already did that anyway and made the backup data, since contacting @astro may be futile (His twitter last active at 11th January and his last post here were at November 2015, so he might busy with work and not online anymore, just like TakaJun when he abandoned Yandere Translation imo). And I hope you could get through all of this, @OriginalRen.

Pretty sure astro is a regular on the /r/vns discord channel so he's pretty easy to reach.

I think originalren isn't giving us the full truth here since a lot of people on /r/vns have said astro has said that he's lying.