Recommendation for Tablet to play VNs

eclipsezero

Been considering getting a tablet, but before that, I wanted to ask. Can any visual novels be played/ported to it?

For example, if I wanted to read Rewrite or IDK, Sengoku Rance or Kamidori on it, would that be possible? Asking because I have literally no knowledge regarding tablets herp V:

Huzzah! A Topic that I can finally contribute to! Well eclipse, that would really depend on what tablet you have.

Windows RT Tablet

I have no idea, never owned one. But this might possibly work.

Windows 8 Tablet

If it works, then you can play it (Win8 has some compatibility issues with other things, a lot of them having to do with engines that VN's are written on ex. kirikiri or rUGP)

iOS (iPad)

There are some on the iTunes App Store. But not much

Some people also report using xclannad to play some Key games.

You could always use a VNC client (but if you did that, the games wouldn't actually be on your iPad)

Though it hasn't been updated since 2012, you could always try Almight

Android

The largest selection after Windows tablets

Almight, again (though it really is useless)

The you have ppsspp, which is a psp emulator, but if you had psp iso's of VNs then you could play them through this theoretically.

VNDS which is an interpreter, it requires you to convert the game using converters foundhere. It started off as a DS reader, but then the dev decided to port it to android.

You could also use a VNC client

You could use ONScripter for Android or Habakiri to run ONScripter based (Higurashi, Umineko, Tsukihime, most older games) or Kirikiri (G Senjou no Maou, erm.. newer games)

0m3ga engine

Ren'py has an android option

There are also a lot of Visual Novels on Google Play.

D.C and D.C.II

And 恋姫夢想 :)

Trial version of 恋姫

Kindle

Put android on it.

Hope this was helpful

Android

The largest selection after Windows tablets

Almight, again (though it really is useless)

The you have ppsspp, which is a psp emulator, but if you had psp iso's of VNs then you could play them through this theoretically.

VNDS which is an interpreter, it requires you to convert the game using converters foundhere. It started off as a DS reader, but then the dev decided to port it to android.

You could also use a VNC client

You could use ONScripter for Android or Habakiri to run ONScripter based (Higurashi, Umineko, Tsukihime, most older games) or Kirikiri (G Senjou no Maou, erm.. newer games)

0m3ga engine

Ren'py has an android option

There are also a lot of Visual Novels on Google Play.

Very helpful, by the way did you try the psp's emulator? Does it work fine with vns?

Been considering getting a tablet, but before that, I wanted to ask. Can any visual novels be played/ported to it?

For example, if I wanted to read Rewrite or IDK, Sengoku Rance or Kamidori on it, would that be possible? Asking because I have literally no knowledge regarding tablets herp V:

Yes yes yes! On Aaeru's blog I've been publishing a weekly (except the last week) series about how to play VNs on android devices. The latest post shows how to stream your desktop to android/iOS devices and thus play them. Check it out!

http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.net/category/android/

Very helpful, by the way did you try the psp's emulator? Does it work fine with vns?

Doesn't work with anything I've tried (Ever17)

Gets to menus sometimes (Fate/Unlimited Codes)

It's still in development, so it might be best to wait a little before trying that option.

Yes yes yes! On Aaeru's blog I've been publishing a weekly (except the last week) series about how to play VNs on android devices. The latest post shows how to stream your desktop to android/iOS devices and thus play them. Check it out!

http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.net/category/android/

Also with any tablet you could run a remote control software to your computer such as Splashtop or TeamViewer as an extra.

Not as smooth as running a native app, but it'll work.

Yeah... Thats what a VNC is...

• 1 year later...

All recent ones run Win8, so it's just usual Win8 incompatibilities (mostly older games, Duel Savior comes to mind) you have to deal with, but they're pretty much the perfect mobile device since they can run 99% of all released VNs.

Compat modes and VMs can take care of the rest (which even cheap Surface tablets can do because we're only talking 2D rendering here).

I wrote a review of the Dell Inspiron 11 convertible for Visual Novel purposes, it cost $450 when I bought it but has quite a few advantages over the 8-10 inch Windows 8 Tablets: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3264886522?see_lz=1 (In Chinese)

Bay trail can handle most games although it is pretty slow and lags are more apparent when you skip or use external software such as VNR. Cheap 8 inch tablets running Windows 8.1 with Atom Z37XX are quite popular among the visual novel community, although make sure that you're fine with the screen size, storage space, and highly limited performance. (Popular Models: Asus T100, Asus M81C, Dell Venue 8 (Windows 8.1 Ver.), Dell Venue 11 (Z3770 Ver.), Lenovo Miix 2 (8 or 10 inch), Lenovo Thinkpad 8, etc.

On the other hand, Haswell-U/Y or the latest Broadwell-M devices are certainly going to deliver a better experience with a better processor, integrated GPU, and SSD. These are also going to cost more (Consider the starting price of the Surface Pro 3) and won't be much different if all you do is play visual novels, not heavy web browsing or demanding software, in the end, it all depends on what you'll use the tablet for.

I wrote a review of the Dell Inspiron 11 convertible for Visual Novel purposes, it cost $450 when I bought it but has quite a few advantages over the 8-10 inch Windows 8 Tablets: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3264886522?see_lz=1 (In Chinese)

Bay trail can handle most games although it is pretty slow and lags are more apparent when you skip or use external software such as VNR. Cheap 8 inch tablets running Windows 8.1 with Atom Z37XX are quite popular among the visual novel community, although make sure that you're fine with the screen size, storage space, and highly limited performance. (Popular Models: Asus T100, Asus M81C, Dell Venue 8 (Windows 8.1 Ver.), Dell Venue 11 (Z3770 Ver.), Lenovo Miix 2 (8 or 10 inch), Lenovo Thinkpad 8, etc.

On the other hand, Haswell-U/Y or the latest Broadwell-M devices are certainly going to deliver a better experience with a better processor, integrated GPU, and SSD. These are also going to cost more (Consider the starting price of the Surface Pro 3) and won't be much different if all you do is play visual novels, not heavy web browsing or demanding software, in the end, it all depends on what you'll use the tablet for.

Here are a couple of pics I dug up:

Dell Venue 8 running White Album 2 Closing Chapter

15764887501_2e9c7e2e65_c.jpg

Lenovo Miix2 8 inch, running まじかりっく スカイハイ

15580913749_fcaf95469e_c.jpg

my Inspiron 11 running Tenshin Ranman

15580918939_bc56684c11_c.jpg

Monitoring the performance of the Acer Iconia W4 running Hoshizora no memoria

15581952880_7361cd1932_c.jpg

From left to right: Asus M81C, Lenovo Miix2, Dell Venue 8, Acer Iconia W4

15581590887_eb26584a9c_c.jpg

15581590937_a6484abd13_c.jpg

Wow, thanks very much for all info.  ^_^

There's nothing wrong with buying a cheap tablet as long as the VN runs comfortably enough for your reading. I've been looking for some slick deals on tablets. With Black Friday around the corner, a lot of companies are waiting to promote their latest tablet for dirt cheap. Some of the ones that have been released in the past are way too expensive to justify a tablet purchase. A lot of windows tablets right now get poor reviews for being incomplete and buggy. I don't think the best ones have even received more than 4 stores on Amazon. I wouldn't be put off by a cheap tablet if you're only going to use it to play VNs. I like to take my time reading them so load time is a small inconvenience. I also like them light and easy to carry around. It defeats the purpose if they are too big. I want to feel the comfort and the convenience of holding multiple books in one. A 7-11 in. tablet is more than visually appealing enough for my eyes.

I will drop good money in the future when one of the companies decides to release an all around good tablet. For now, I'll just drop pennies to get one to read VNs since android has a lack of support for VNs.

Here's another deal that's appeared recently

Venue 8 Pro Tablet Dell Outlet Home 64gb w/office home student 111.75
25% off coupon....refurbished or scratch dent

Price before coupon is 149

Smoking Hot Deal for a 64gb w/windows 8.1

Keep checking to see when they add more 64gb...they are popping in and out as of 1:50 central..

Link here......... http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/2...9430259878

You can sell microsoft home student for probably $50 so your looking at <$65 

Make sure you find the 64gb

Processor Processor: Intel Atom processor Z3740D (2MB Cache, up to 1.8GHz Quad-Core)
Operating System Windows 8.1 Pro
Hard Disk Drive 64 GB eMMC Hard Drive
Memory 2 GB Single Channel DDR3L-RS 1600MHz
Laptop Screen 8.0 inch IPS Display with HD (WXGA 1280 x 800) resolution with 10-pt capacitive touch
Video Intel HD Graphics
Base Dell Outlet Venue 8 Pro
Software Upgrade Windows 8 Pro, 32-bit, English
Windows 8.1 64BIT
Office Software Office Home and Student 2013
Web Camera Integrated 1.2MP HD Webcam (front) / 5MP (back)
Laptop Battery 2 Cell Battery
System Color Black Cover for WLAN (WIFI)
Hardware Upgrade 10 Watt AC Adapter
AC adapter cable, USB

Here are a couple of pics I dug up:

Dell Venue 8 running White Album 2 Closing Chapter

15764887501_2e9c7e2e65_c.jpg

I'm wondering how comfortable it is to play a PC VN using touch screen?

And I couldn't stop tingling with mixed feelings the moment I saw a screenshot of White Album 2. I just finished introductory chapter on PS3, it's a must read for all romance VN fans.

一看到White Album 2的截图我就百感交集。刚刚在PS3上通了introductory chapter,简直是纯爱神作。

I'm wondering how comfortable it is to play a PC VN using touch screen?

And I couldn't stop tingling with mixed feelings the moment I saw a screenshot of White Album 2. I just finished introductory chapter on PS3, it's a must read for all romance VN fans.

一看到White Album 2的截图我就百感交集。刚刚在PS3上通了introductory chapter,简直是纯爱神作。

To be honest it's pretty annoying having to touch the screen to after each dialogue so I typically use the AUTO mode when using my convertible as a tablet. This is not a big problem if you're lying on a bed or sofa, since your arms are rested, tapping feels more like turning a page. Some other users prefer using a mouse instead.

That aside, I think WA2 CC is quite overrated, but that's the subject of another thread. Still recommended though.

• 2 weeks later...

For Americans

Just this saw this AD for an Asus T100TAM at Staples

Valid in U.S. stores only.

Expires November 25, 2014

$100 off
select tablets regularly priced $399 and above.

ASUS, T100TAM-C12-GR, 10.1" Detachable Laptop, 2GB Memory, 64GB Storage, Intel Atom, Touchscreen Reg : $449.99 Save: - $100.00

$349.99*
Each
*Price after savings

Amazon Price

ASUS Transformer Book 10.1" T100TAM-C1-GM Detachable 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop, 64GB (GREY METAL)
by Asus

List Price: $399.00 Price: $309.00 Free Shipping for Prime Members You Save: $90.00 (23%)

In Stock.

With the price match and coupon, you can get it down to 209 pre-tax.

A pretty freaken sweet deal for one of these babies. These are the NEW TAM models (not to be confused with the TA models.) I'm hittin' all the staples stores tomorrow and stocking up on these. I'm trying one out right now and I love the quality and speed it brings. Playing any VNs is a breeze on it. What's so great about it is that it comes bundled with a detachable keyboard and office 365 (You can sell it for 60 dollars online). The visuals IMO are superior to any tablets in its price range and below. Get it while supplies last and then sell it for $400 each I say. You could buy a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with that money :D.

I'm so pissed I didn't see these ads until the stores closed and I got home pretty early from work today. I hope they don't all sell out tomorrow. I'm just letting you Fuwa's know!