The impact of H-scenes on Visual Novels

babiker

What is the nature of H-scenes' impact on VNs?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think H-scenes have a strong impact on visual novels as a medium? And if so, what kind of impact?

• H-scenes have a strong, negative impact.
    • H-scenes have a strong, positive impact.
    • H-scenes have little to no impact.
    • H-scenes have a mixed impact.
  2. 2. Do you think that the option of disabling H-scenes affect a VN's popularity? (e.g Katawa Shoujo, Comyu)

• Big impact.
    • Little impact.
    • Doesn't matter, had sex ;)
  3. 3. What would you read first?

• A good VN with no H-scenes
    • A good VN with H-scenes
    • Doesn't matter, had sex ;)

This poll is closed to new votes

Okami, just to quick clarify, Game of Thrones has scenes in it where they go to whore houses and literally pay prostitutes to have sex with them. True, while it does not show the actual act of the people having sex, the implications are there, and in that regard, it's an equivalent of simply censoring the actual organs being used, which a lot of h-scenes do already.

In other words, just because it's a black line covering a vagina (in the case of h-scenes) or just because we don't see a man entering another woman (in the case of Game of Thrones), doesn't mean we aren't aware of what is happening.

But that is a point, that in H-scenes we do see those acts and that is a problem. It is one thing to imply that two had sex entirely different to show it. That is what will drive most people away from VNs.

Yes personally I don't support characters having sex at all as 2D characters are pure and it doesn't suit them (And there is no place for sex in pure love), but that they don't just imply that two had sex but actually show us is completely objective problem.

But that is a point, that in H-scenes we do see those acts and that is a problem. It is one thing to imply that two had sex entirely different to show it. That is what will drive most people away from VNs.

Yes personally I don't support characters having sex at all as 2D characters are pure and it doesn't suit them (And there is no place for sex in pure love), but that they don't just imply that two had sex but actually show us is completely objective problem.

You talk a lot about "pure" love in recent posts regarding h-scene discussion. When you mean pure, do you connect that with "true" love as well? Or are those 2 concepts different?

Yes personally I don't support characters having sex at all as 2D characters are pure and it doesn't suit them (And there is no place for sex in pure love), but that they don't just imply that two had sex but actually show us s completely objective problem.

2D characters do have sex, we've seen it countless times. This is a fact.

If there is no place for sex in pureness...

We can only conclude 2D characters are not pure. Correct?

You say it is objectively bad to show the act of having sex. Explain how this is, objectively (as in, with no influence of your own opinions or biases).

How are two people going at it like rabbits any less indecent, if there's a chair in the frame, blocking of a bit of the camera? 

inb4 lock, because we're derailing into stuff like this

again...

Seriously? Are you really asking me this? Do I really need to explain a difference between just implying that two people had sex and showing us a scene of them doing it?

You say it is objectively bad to show the act of having sex. Explain how this is, objectively (as in, with no influence of your own opinions or biases).

Only when it's forced into a story because of marketing and this is a fact.

You talk a lot about "pure" love in recent posts regarding h-scene discussion. When you mean pure, do you connect that with "true" love as well? Or are those 2 concepts different?

Yes they are the same.

PS: What happened with Fuwanovel I remembered it as place where you could have interesting discussions with intelligent people, now in turn into this.................

PPS: I can't border any more, if this is what fuwa is now then it is not a place for me.

You're missing the point. The 2D characters that do have sex are the exception and are not included in the pure list.

2D characters ARE pure, but the ones that have sex are NOT.

Seriously? Are you really asking me this? Do I really need to explain a difference between just implying that two people had sex and showing us a scene of them doing it?

Yes they are the same.

PS: What happened with Fuwanovel I remembered it as place where you could have interesting discussions with intelligent people, now in turn into this.................

PPS: I can't border any more, if this is what fuwa is now then it is not a place for me.

Then fucking leave. You literally are the cause of most of these discussion threads being closed because you refuse to accept the fact other people think differently than you. If you would just be slightly more open minded, and maybe realize your way isnt the only correct way and your beliefs are not the only correct beliefs, maybe you'd be taken a little more seriously, and wonder less what Fuwa has become.

Because fuwa has always been like this. You just want to play the part of victim

You're missing the point. The 2D characters that do have sex are the exception and are not included in the pure list.

Lots of anime and manga characters have sex. There's even gratuitous rape and torture. It isn't an abomination that VNs have created on their own. 

The top rated Manga in the West has a higher sexual content count than any other work in it's entertainment medium. It's even more popular here than in Japan. 

If anything, the H scenes in VNs themselves are too pure. All the girls are virgins and all the sex derives from true love. The pureness of these H scenes maybe are too campy for Western taste. 

How much purer can you get than to save up for sex and do it with only the person you love for the rest of your life? I'm mind blown by how beautiful that is because I'll never find someone like that in the real world. Despite how horribly written those H-scenes are, I still get teary-eyed just by the principle of it all. Call me a hopeless romantic - I plead guilty. 

There are two points I can make.

1. This is not always the case; some stories include the sex for plot related reasons.

These scenes aren't implied because Visual Novels in general tend to include sex, making it something that is only natural in this market. But yes, they could simply be implied in this case.

2. Does this change anything? Forced or not, there was sex in the visual novel. This means that the character is not pure. This means that the majority of them are not pure, according to your description. Unless you rephrase what you said earlier, this will remain the case.

That is not what he said, but I am willing to let it slip.

I also need to note that an exception is usually the minority, not the majority. As far as Visual Novels are concerned, I'm afraid that not showing the act of sex, or having it at all, is the minority.

Okay, I'm going to put a halt on the toxic atmosphere going on here. It seems like we've pretty squeezed all the actual value out of this topic and it has been beyond sufficiently derailed by this point.

Another mod may see fit to clean up this thread and reopen it for discussion, but for the time being I'm going to lock this topic.