Fuwanovel Traffic Data

Well you make it sound like I did it intentionally to 'bait' people. No, I didn't bait people, that's actually what I think. I do not respect people who do not respect the freedoms of their fans who want to improve on their work in order to help their own community out. It saddens me to see their own government lie to them through their teeth. They think elaborately arranged pieces of information, on the evidence that it is now elaborately-made-enough that once it passes some certain arbitrary threshold, they can now control their customer's copy AFTER they've sold it. Elaborately arranged pieces of information (

) cannot be property. In the 70s, the term 'intellectual property' did not even exist. So we already know that someonemade it up

97EK3Kb.png

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=intellectual+property&year_start=1950&year_end=2008&corpus=0&smoothing=3

Before 1972 in the US, the public's understanding of copyright was that it is a temporary advantage given to authors that the public was willing to tolerate for some greater good.

"US Congress’s protection of copyrights is not a “special private benefit,” but is meant to achieve an important public interest: “to motivate the creative activity of authors and inventors by the provision of a special reward, and to allow the public access to the products of their genius after the limited period of exclusive control has expired.”

US Congress: “The granting of such exclusive rights [copyrights] under the proper terms and conditions, cofers a benefit upon the public that outweighs the evils of the temporary monopoly.“

By the provision of a temporary monopoly, parliament (UK) or congress (US) hopes to encourage the progress of learning and bribe authors into generating materials for the public domain as to benefit all people. It is not designed to benefit authors.

Human beings have incredibly short memories. In 1974 the overwhelming majority of commercially published works in the US was public domain. In order to receive the privilege of copyright, you must show that you will be distributing copies, you must pay a fee, your copies must be marked with a copyright notice. Notice of copyright - the familiar C-in-a-circle, along with the name of the copyright holder, the date first published, when the copyright will expire, to whom you must address to request permission and contact details. Failing to provide an accurate notice will cause you to LOSE YOUR COPYRIGHT. It turns out the vast majority of publishers in the 70s didn't care to register copyright. It was never really that useful. [source:Jessica Litman - Sharing & Stealing] .

That is why I can't stand it. I can't stand government allying with corporates to intellectually bully people into submitting their own freedom of expression, and then have them feel proud that they've submitted their freedoms, and then MOCK others for not submitting their freedoms. It is the number one issue plaguing the VN translation community and every other creative community such as the OELVN ones. It particularly saddens me to see the otomege community completely wrecked from being able to engage in their own culture, and this is the way many of the free culture proponents do.

To say that I have a 'PR-issue' for having an opinion, for daring to disagree in the face of opposition, and you encouraging others to continue this culture of: "it is uncool to talk about anything intellectual, so stop it". That's much more of an issue to me than any PR-issue. It sounds like society is degenerating.

Well you make it sound like I did it intentionally to 'bait' people. No, I didn't bait people, that's actually what I think. I do not respect people who do not respect the freedoms of their fans who want to improve on their work in order to help their own community out.

Right, the issue is the disrespect for people that don't agree with you. It's not so much your opinions that rile people up. It's the blatant disrespect with which you express them. If you could tone that down you could get your ideas across without angering vast swathes of the community.

That said, traffic increases are good when they drive visitors to the site, as you have the possibility of gaining new users.

Sure. Baiting people has its benefits. But you have take the good with the bad--you can't really complain later when people respond to your disrespect with more disrespect.

and you encouraging others to continue this culture of: "it is uncool to talk about anything intellectual, so stop it"

I've been accused of many things, but that one is a first. In any case, the "discussions" you're provoking seem to be of the quarreling and bickering type (like debates between political candidates), not the constructive type.

I do not respect people who [...]

And that's the problem, really. I have absolutely no problems with people having different opinions, as the world would otherwise be extremely boring, but disagreeing with an opinion does not automatically mean that you have to disrespect it (see my comments in that post - I'm .). Civility is the base of a good debate, and without it you're never going to convince anyone of anything.

Aaeru seems to have a public relations issue. I'm not sure what else she expects except a flame war when she openly baits people into arguments like this...

I don't think she intended to bait people. And besides, at least she handled the situation with better comments than "omg u bitch u suck go die plz."

Now I'm not saying I agree 100% with her opinions, since from what I saw both sides had some good points, but at least the whole thing died down for now.

Well given the vast differences between the otomege fan culture (that particular group of JP-reading fans anyway) and myself it was just a matter of time before we clash heads. I could probably have said it better, but I'm not quite there yet. Every failure is just that much more ground to learn from. I'm not afraid of making mistakes, next time I'll just strive to do it better.

Well given the vast differences between the otomege fan culture (that particular group of JP-reading fans anyway) and myself it was just a matter of time before we clash heads. I could probably have said it better, but I'm not quite there yet. Every failure is just that much more ground to learn from. I'm not afraid of making mistakes, next time I'll just strive to do it better.

Girls are pretty sensitive Aeru-sama xD

I was thinking earlier when I was in bed, I think the radio host I was listening to was right in that, it's not the people's fault when they think for 270 years copyright was monopoly, and then the last 40 years it suddenly shifted to 'property'. Because people strive to be good and to be law-abiding citizens, and they were never taught that some laws can be treasonous, they follow it thinking they are doing the right thing. So in that sense it is not the people who are being tricked that is wrong. It's their ruling elites, the heads of corporations & their government & special interests who taught them to obey the wrong law that is wrong.

Well when I write posts, they are almost always intended for my viewers, they're not really there to convince the entrenched people. Those people you will never get. It's the people who are indifferent about these issues, those are the ones you can get.

I think it is the long years of surviving the previous (and utterly disgusting) community that made me really aggressive. It used to be that you basically have to just plain out attack them, because they literally are willing to spread lies about you if they can't beat you intellectually. There is nothing more despicable than the previous community who engage in rampant gossiping and vandalism from top to bottom, and these activities are helmed by a group of men! These people are not men. Real men do not do these things.

For some reason I always assume that in any fandom, except maybe the galge fandom, it's 99% girls. Especially from what I see on tumblr, anyways.

it's more like 50%-50% for me i'd think except for maybe otome ( or galge/etc where it actually has a targeted gender )

then again, I'd rather not guess (or care about) genders in the first place

This isn't a gender issue. Although, it's not inconceivable that a perceived attack on a small tightly knit community (such as female VN players in a fandom dominated by males) would provoke a more aggressive response.

From my point of view, it's not useful to point fingers at people striving towards the same goal: bringing VNs to English speakers. Your methods may be different, but this goal should be the same. What you may find is that debunking intellectual property and promoting the spread of VNs are two goals that are not always in alignment. At times, you may be forced to choose between the two to promote one at the expense of the other. Luckily, the scope of the intellectual property debate extends far beyond VNs. You can drive that point home in other contexts, and rely on cultural shifts to trickle back down into the VN arena without fighting a 2-front war that'll just dilute your message about VNs.

If you're going to take a stand, at least make it a meaningful one. For example, imagine that group released their translation, then a second group made a patch using that translation against the wishes of the first group. Make your stand by hosting that patch on your site--not by throwing ideological abuses at them when the translation effort has barely started. When they protest, that's your cue to justify your position where it actually counts, and where it'll draw broader attention.