Fuwanovel Confessions

OriginalRen

2 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Oh man, I only lasted a year before relapsing with WoW. And even after surgery on my left hand, I fell back on Runescape since it mostly involved mouse play.

But now that I'm a little more actively engaged in studying and exercise, I may not feel the urge to play again. One can only hope. :sachi:

Good luck, MMOs are really the worst of the worst, especially if you play them competitively or get highly involved with the endgame. I actually still play WoW but mostly because I share an account with my closest RL friend (please don't report me :rize:) and it's basically the best excuse we have to chat regularly and generally stay in touch. I also always played it very casually, but I probably still wouldn't want to see how many hours I've spent with it over the years... :s

5 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Good luck, MMOs are really the worst of the worst, especially if you play them competitively or get highly involved with the endgame. I actually still play WoW but mostly because I share an account with my closest RL friend (please don't report me :rize:) and it's basically the best excuse we have to chat regularly and generally stay in touch. I also always played it very casually, but I probably still wouldn't want to see how many hours I've spent with it over the years... :s

I have more than 10k hours on my main on WoW. Doubt you have anywhere near the time played that I have. Currently not playing it but plan to resub for some months once summer vacation starts. 

12 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

But now that I have something concrete to center my thoughts on, I feel like I can finally throw in the towel for good and just leave the MMO scene entirely. I'm not sure how well I'll hold up in the future, but I'm gonna bookmark those two videos I linked as a reminder of why I quit playing MMOs in the first place. And frankly, now that I know how Skinner Boxing works, I'm a little pissed off that I allowed myself to be manipulated like this. That said, I'm glad I caught on before my spending habit became more severe. Because of how much time I spend playing this game, I've developed bad spending habits such as extending my membership period for beneficial auras, buying banks slots, buying pets, buying gear/item presets, and even maintaining membership for another account so I can play two different game modes (standard and ironman). I've spent a little over $270 since I started playing in December, and I'm concerned that it might get worse if I continue to play this game as I have been.

Good luck, hope you manage to pull through, I am sometimes amazed to what lengths these games will try to make you spend both precious money and time on game mechanics and basic gameplay.

9 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Yeah, and see I did have an endgame in mind. There is a certain bossing challenge to defeat Telos with max enrage to earn the most prestigious bossing title available, and I wanted that title on my ironman. But in order to get that, you need to be completely decked out on some of the best gear available, all of which you have to get yourself since ironmen aren't able to trade. I also wanted to take it a step further by going completely solo and not do any group bossing content at all (I just wanted to be Kirito, okay?), except for Barrows: Rise of the Six since it's apparently possible to solo it. But alas, it would be a huge time investment to even reach this goal on a standard account, let alone doing it on ironman. But that's okay, I'm sure I'll be more happy this way.

And I see where you're coming from on WoW. The game does have a fair bit to offer for casual gameplay, and you can even enjoy the game without touching any of the latest content at all (I know one guy that only played WoW for the sole purpose of flipping stuff on the AH). Unfortunately, I could only ever feel engaged in that game when I was raiding. And when I first started playing, it was actually pretty moderate on the grind factor and I felt like could be competitive without putting in a massive amount of time. Unfortunately, however, the game did fall in line with the trend and added even more skinner box mechanics such as Mythic+ dungeon grinds and dailies to power up your weapon.

1 hour ago, Weiterfechten said:

Good luck, hope you manage to pull through, I am sometimes amazed to what lengths these games will try to make you spend both precious money and time on game mechanics and basic gameplay.

Yeah, once I realized what the game was doing to pull me in, I felt kinda cheated. Runescape didn't do enough to make me feel like I was genuinely enjoying my time, so it relied on underhanded tactics to paint the illusion of enjoyment.

On 4/28/2018 at 3:33 PM, Kurisu-Chan said:

Confession : i'm obsessed way too much about steins;gate 0, to the point that sometimes, i just can't sleep enough because i'm still thinking about the next episode.

Confession: the anime airing made me start playing the visual novel. I've been losing sleep because I've been up playing it.

I'm doubly losing sleep because I'm wondering WHERE THE JAPANESE SHAMAN GIRLS ARE.

Spoiler

where are they, LINTAHLO!?

Just now, Sayaka said:

Confession: the anime airing made me start playing the visual novel. I've been losing sleep because I've been up playing it.

I'm doubly losing sleep because I'm wondering

Reveal hidden contents

where are they, LINTAHLO!?

Spoiler

WE HAVE JAPANESE CAT GIRL... MAID GIRL?

On 4/28/2018 at 8:44 AM, Kenshin_sama said:

Confession: I know I've said this before, but I think I'm finally ready to stop playing MMOs for good now.

After playing Runescape obsessively for over four months, I've been on the fence about quitting these last few days. And after reading a few video comments on the official Runescape youtube channel, I come across a couple interesting videos covering the Skinner Box and unpleasant design that completely changed my perspective on gaming and further motivated my desire to permanently give up MMO gaming. My reason for quitting mostly has to do with how my mind has been trained to play Runescape compulsively; not just because of how it rewards excessive commitment, but also due to its tendency to block off some of the most rewarding content behind recurrent daily, weekly, and monthly reset periods (some of which have to be played in very specific times). Before I knew it, the game had conditioned me to play it every single day (even when I wasn't in the mood) so that I could maximize my daily gains, and I never missed weekly or monthly content. On top of all that, Runescape goes out of its way to put in tedious time sinks that are crucial for progression. That's not to say there weren't any moments where I genuinely felt like I was having a good time (especially while I was questing), but those moments were far too few in between for me to feel like I was getting a sense of enjoyment from the game overall. And although RS3 is the worst offender by far, I feel that every other variant of Runescape had some major design flaws in regards to this as well since it has always been a grind game.

But now that I have something concrete to center my thoughts on, I feel like I can finally throw in the towel for good and just leave the MMO scene entirely. I'm not sure how well I'll hold up in the future, but I'm gonna bookmark those two videos I linked as a reminder of why I quit playing MMOs in the first place. And frankly, now that I know how Skinner Boxing works, I'm a little pissed off that I allowed myself to be manipulated like this. That said, I'm glad I caught on before my spending habit became more severe. Because of how much time I spend playing this game, I've developed bad spending habits such as extending my membership period for beneficial auras, buying banks slots, buying pets, buying gear/item presets, and even maintaining membership for another account so I can play two different game modes (standard and ironman). I've spent a little over $270 since I started playing in December, and I'm concerned that it might get worse if I continue to play this game as I have been.

Wish you all the best and hope you'll walk the talk! To completely get rid of that nasty habit of playing MMO gaming, adapt a another new habit that will replace the old ones such a playing games that provides meaningful experiences such as visual novels or old school RPGs and the like... Or you could just use the time in reading books or whatever you fancy that would help you . 

Old habits are hard to die and just because you saw some eye opening videos from YouTube and decided never playing MMO games ever again doesn't mean your off the fence just yet.

If your really serious in your commitment to stay away from MMO games for good. Read this is book regarding habits and how to change them for your benefits! If you don't want to buy the book or just want to read it for free. I can provide a ebook copy if you like or anyone who's interested. Just PM me your email and I'll send it there. People should really stay away from MMO games since they're harmful to us in ways unimaginable...

11 hours ago, Templarseeker said:

Wish you all the best and hope you'll walk the talk! To completely get rid of that nasty habit of playing MMO gaming, adapt a another new habit that will replace the old ones such a playing games that provides meaningful experiences such as visual novels or old school RPGs and the like... Or you could just use the time in reading books or whatever you fancy that would help you . 

Old habits are hard to die and just because you saw some eye opening videos from YouTube and decided never playing MMO games ever again doesn't mean your off the fence just yet.

If your really serious in your commitment to stay away from MMO games for good. Read this is book regarding habits and how to change them for your benefits! If you don't want to buy the book or just want to read it for free. I can provide a ebook copy if you like or anyone who's interested. Just PM me your email and I'll send it there. People should really stay away from MMO games since they're harmful to us in ways unimaginable...

Thanks for tip and the encouragement. :) I've already set up a system for myself to cut back on unproductive habits and develop more productive ones, but I'll give this book a read some time. Unfortunately, those habits I had been working on kinda backfired since I let them cut into my study time instead of my game time. In fact, I even stopped pursuing my habit of learning Japanese because I needed to catch up on all the homework I let slide (thankfully one of my professors was nice about late turn-ins). I am still maintaining a habit of shutting down my computer at specific times and exercising five days a week at least. During Summer break, I am going to earnestly focus on studying both Japanese and programming for a total of two hours per day and slowly expand that habit until I spend eight hours a day studying (I'll reallocate those hours to college work once classes start again). And now that I'm not feeling compulsed to playing games on a schedule, I think I'll be able to embrace these habits with greater consistency.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

Tomorrow's my last proper day of high school... Haven't had classes in a while, but tomorrow we'll be holding a little fun show/activity thingy to our underclassmen and then we'll proceed to fuck off (except for a few exams I'll take the next two weeks).

I don't know what to feel. I am thoroughly disappointed with my decisions and how I acted throughout this last five years, so it's a rather mellow undertaking so far.

That said, I've developed a circle of wonderful friends throughout the years. From underclassmen who look up to me to people to shoot the crap with to close friends for the thick and thin of it all-- more than I deserve, but what can you do.

Edited by Funyarinpa

Confession, I'm fully addicted to yuri. I've been mainlining dynasty reader for several months now. 

I'm keeping up with all the latest chapters that are released.

I own every volume of Kase San and Bloom Into You.

I have no attention of quitting.

Don't bother trying to stage a intervention because it won't work.

Edited by Ranzo

39 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Tomorrow's my last proper day of high school... Haven't had classes in a while, but tomorrow we'll be holding a little fun show/activity thingy to our underclassmen and then we'll proceed to fuck off (except for a few exams I'll take the next two weeks).

I don't know what to feel. I am thoroughly disappointed with my decisions and how I acted throughout this last five years, so it's a rather mellow undertaking so far.

That said, I've developed a circle of wonderful friends throughout the years. From underclassmen who look up to me to people to shoot the crap with to close friends for the thick and thin of it all-- more than I deserve, but what can you do.

Just keep in mind that unlike in anime, life keeps on going after high school :makina: But yeah, it's a stage in your life that you are not going to experience again, so in a sense, it's a bittersweet feeling. 

Confession: Terrible VN Kickstarters makes me strangely sad, and this particular one especially so. I can see how someone put probably dozens upon dozens of hours into a project that ends up looking like a total mess and will fail miserably.

It's also a person that came to Fuwa looking for advice, got bashed by me for bad writing and sloppy English, got some advice from others... And now the Kickstarter page looks possibly worse than the prototype we saw earlier. Did we do something wrong? Huh... :vinty:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

8 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Confession: Terrible VN Kickstarters makes me strangely sad, and this particular one especially so. I can see how someone put probably dozens upon dozens of hours into a project that ends up looking like a total mess and will fail miserably.

It's also a person that came to Fuwa looking for advice, got bashed by me for bad writing and sloppy English, got some advice from others... And now the Kickstarter page looks possibly worse than the prototype we saw earlier. Did we do something wrong? Huh... :vinty:

Sekai Project must put you into a state of depression every 3 months then.

10 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Sekai Project must put you into a state of depression every 3 months then.

Localization Kickstarters are a bit of a different issue, those are mostly just irritating. Plus I don't how that big of a tendency to empathize with publishing companies, they very rarely deserve it. :P Horribly misguided original projects however always manage to get me agitated in some way. :s

2 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Congratulations on graduating!

One thing I've come to realize after so many problems coming up for my family is that it really does matter a lot what you do before your mind matures at age 25. Because my family has such a difficult time adjusting to a cruel world, every single one of them has problems with divorce, finances, jail time, education, mental health, physical health, and/or drug abuse. The one thing I know they all have in common is that they actively avoid facing their problems, and they're okay with personal stagnation or even regression. And the major issue here is that they let themselves stay that way until 25 when your attitude towards life become hard-ingrained in your mind.

What I'm trying to get at here is that as long as you have the will to acknowledge your problems and work continuously towards improvement, you really shouldn't get hung up over how much you accomplish in a short span of time. You have your whole life to achieve your goals and live your ideal lifestyle. And trust me when I say it's so much more productive to do what you're able to without putting pressure on yourself. It's become a recent topic of discussion with my therapist, because my dad forced me into an all-or-nothing mindset (which was later solidified during my time in the Army) that completely works against me in my studies, and it all stems from a self-imposed pressure to perform. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to stay academically competitive as I'm only pursuing higher education for above average employment, but I don't think it's healthy for you to put so much pressure on yourself. If you aren't able to accomplish what you want at your desired point of time, try to think of it more as a temporary setback rather than a permanent block from your ideal lifestyle. Just remember, Einstein was a high school dropout! :D

Edited by Kenshin_sama

22 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

This is the worst VN possible?