Fuwanovel Confessions

OriginalRen

Confession:  The tension of the conversation fills me with DETERMINATION

Going through Producer/Artist finalizations, very excited but also a bit worried something I was unaware of will come up ;-;

Hope it works well though!  :DDD

13 hours ago, Arcadeotic said:

And I suck at colors to some extent

Women see a wider range of colours than men, or more specifically can see slight changes in shades more distinctly than men, which is part of the reason why they have a wider vocabulary when it relates to colours (the other being men just don't care ... unless you're talking about what colour wire to cut.)

Also, remind me to kill whoever came up with the Audrey fanclub badge.

1 hour ago, Zodai said:

Confession:  The tension of the conversation fills me with DETERMINATION

Going through Producer/Artist finalizations, very excited but also a bit worried something I was unaware of will come up ;-;

Hope it works well though!  :DDD

MISSION COMPLETE FUCK YESSSS

:DDDDDDDDDDD

46 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Women see a wider range of colours than men, or more specifically can see slight changes in shades more distinctly than men, which is part of the reason why they have a wider vocabulary when it relates to colours (the other being men just don't care ... unless you're talking about what colour wire to cut.)

Also, remind me to kill whoever came up with the Audrey fanclub badge.

I haven't actually heard that before, though I suppose it's possible...

The theory I prefer, though, is that everybody in this thread has the causality switched: you don't know the names for those colors, and therefore you don't perceive the differences. It's an interesting angle of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, and there have been a number of studies backing up this specific example of it, in the last decade.

Basically, if you start teaching yourself the names for more specific shades of color, you'll become able to perceive the differences between those colors. In cultures that have many words for a range of colors, where your language has only one broad word for that spectrum, everybody in that culture is able to perceive those differences, and you might literally not even be able to see the difference (I unfortunately can't find the article that had a rather shocking example of this, with some African tribe that had lots of words for shades of green, and an image where I literally could not see a difference between any of them, but according to the study some > 80% of the group surveyed had no problem identifying the different shade...).

Anyway, there are tons of articles about this, many of them focused on how a lot of ancient civilizations don't have a word for blue, notably Greeks; people love to cite Homer's "wine-dark sea" as an example. Egyptians created a blue dye, so they had a word for it, but pretty much everybody else who was around at that time period didn't even have the word blue; so the sky was gray, or bronze, or some other weird color to them. Here's a passable article I found from searching around: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/hoffman_01_13/

Setting aside the actual physical condition of color-blindness (red/green, blue/yellow, or whatever exotic variety), people here who are saying they are "sort of color-blind" probably just haven't put in any effort on learning names for a larger variety of colors. Learn the names, and the perception will follow.

Edit: here's a much better article to illustrate both the language focus of it and the overall weirdness of it: http://arstechnica.com/science/2007/05/language-influences-color-perception/

19 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I haven't actually heard that before, though I suppose it's possible...

I actually looked up things a bit when Rooke posted that, and it turns out it's due to a lot of women possess four types of retinal photopigments (instead of the usual three), which seems to be proven to improve to some degree the ability to distinguish colors. But whether that allows to differentiate slight changes of shades is not completely clear because the way - or, most probably, the ways - we process colors is not well elucidated yet. Basically there's a difference in "tetrachromats" but there's no clear consensus on what exactly it is. Science that is less than a decade old is always to be taken with a critical eye, because it's liable to change pretty fast, and that's even more true about biology/neurosciences.

27 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

The theory I prefer, though, is that everybody in this thread has the causality switched: you don't know the names for those colors, and therefore you don't perceive the differences. It's an interesting angle of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, and there have been a number of studies backing up this specific example of it, in the last decade.

Basically, if you start teaching yourself the names for more specific shades of color, you'll become able to perceive the differences between those colors. In cultures that have many words for a range of colors, where your language has only one broad word for that spectrum, everybody in that culture is able to perceive those differences, and you might literally not even be able to see the difference (I unfortunately can't find the article that had a rather shocking example of this, with some African tribe that had lots of words for shades of green, and an image where I literally could not see a difference between any of them, but according to the study some > 80% of the group surveyed had no problem identifying the different shade...).

Anyway, there are tons of articles about this, many of them focused on how a lot of ancient civilizations don't have a word for blue, notably Greeks; people love to cite Homer's "wine-dark sea" as an example. Egyptians created a blue dye, so they had a word for it, but pretty much everybody else who was around at that time period didn't even have the word blue; so the sky was gray, or bronze, or some other weird color to them. Here's a passable article I found from searching around: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/hoffman_01_13/

That's interesting. There's been enough attacks and proofs against the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis that only weak versions of it are sustainable but I've always entertained the idea that there must be some amount of truth in it, so it's cool to see that there's some evidence for stuff like that.

I'm not sure that just teaching yourself color names will allow you to separate them better though. A pretty obvious factor in color-related abilities is that you'll develop them if you need them (brain plasticity etc), but the names themselves would need to be attached to concrete examples and be used often.

2 hours ago, Down said:

I'm not sure that just teaching yourself color names will allow you to separate them better though. A pretty obvious factor in color-related abilities is that you'll develop them if you need them (brain plasticity etc), but the names themselves would need to be attached to concrete examples and be used often.

This is a very good point, completely agreed.

To be honest, since I have some interest in drawing but am terrible at color, I've been meaning to do a two-pronged attack of learning basic color theory and trying to train myself to recognize gradations in color using this method. The problem is that drawing is the lowest on my totem of hobbies and I'm a bit lazy, so if I ever do get up the energy to do something about it, I usually just, well... draw.

5 hours ago, Tiagofvarela said:

I also watch it whenever I see it on on TV. Which is rarely. 

I was bored and decided to watch them, I saw like 10 episodes! :wafuu: (all the episodes are on youtube) man I almost cried with one episode and it's almost impossible to make me cry

Spoiler

the one where heidi meets with Peter's grandmother and she starts crying because she cannot see, that scene..:komari:

38 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

I was bored and decided to watch them, I saw like 10 episodes! :wafuu: (all the episodes are on youtube) man I almost cried with one episode and it's almost impossible to make me cry

Reveal hidden contents

the one where heidi meets with Peter's grandmother and she starts crying because she cannot see, that scene..:komari:

It gets me pretty emotional too, every once in a while.