Site Work Failed, But We Didn't Die

Ugh. Still more roadblocks. Need to get an as-yet unknown password from Nay in order to get this sucker changed. For now, please enjoy the mess of a forums we've got, and dream of the forums we will probably never one day have.

< 3 - Tay

You can dismiss this alert by clicking on the "X" button

OriginalRen

Fuwanovel Confessions

Confession: For some reason, I decided to destroy the last pieces of human dignity I possessed and started researching Japanese idol groups. After checking out songs by a few supposedly popular ones I nearly died of cringe, even with my anime-induced resistance. However, whoever produces stuff for Keyakizaka46 (I think this group was the direct inspiration for Quasar in Shining Song Starnova, with the fan elections for choosing the center and all? - I guess AKB48 also do fan elections, but this group still kind of fits the image well?) definitely knows their stuff.

BTW, can anyone recommend me some Japanese pop from 80s or 90s? There's a lot of pretty awesome, jazzy JP music from that period that I occasionally stumble upon (in vaporwave remixes for example), but don't really know how to even start looking for it...

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Welcome to the dark side :D

38 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

However, whoever produces stuff for Keyakizaka46 (I think this group was the direct inspiration for Quasar in Shining Song Starnova, with the fan elections for choosing the center and all?) definitely know their stuff.

Yeah, Keyakizaka46 is good. I personally also like many songs by AKB48. Both groups (and many others in "48 group") share the same producer (Yasushi Akimoto), who writes all the lyrics. Music is made by various people/bands. OTOH most of the Hello!Project idol groups (Morning Musume etc) were rather meh to me - maybe those were the ones you found in the beginning.

38 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

BTW, can anyone recommend me some Japanese pop from 80s or 90s? There's a lot of pretty awesome, jazzy JP music from that period that I occasionally stumble upon (in vaporwave remixes for example), but don't really know how to even start looking for it...

As for '80s/'90s pop - I absolutely love all CDs by Aya Hisakawa (久川綾). Some songs from Seiko Matsuda (松田聖子) from late '80s/early '90s are pretty good too. There's also ton of great songs on the Sailor Moon related CDs (not all were used in the anime) - they can all be downloaded at sailormusic.net - that's what was my gateway drug into japanese music ;) Songs for Slayers and Magic Knight Rayearth are great as well.

However it turns out that most of my japanese CD collection is from '00s. The great thing is, that they still keep many features from earlier years - it isn't like in the western pop, where new style comes and almost completely wipes away the old. When trying to 'date' japanese song, you can only say "not earlier than" - if there are for example instruments/sounds used that weren't used before. But you can find many songs recorded recently, that could as well be released 20 or 30 years ago - that's what I like about japanese pop the most. They don't discard the past - they build upon it.

Some of my favourite singers / acts (apart from the ones mentioned above):

Anri Kumaki ( 熊木杏里 ), Ai Kawashima (川嶋あい), Miyako Hasegawa (長谷川都), Maiko Fujita (藤田麻衣子), FictionJunction / Kalafina and other Yuki Kajiura's acts, Ayako Ikeda (池田綾子), Kayoko Yoshizawa (吉澤嘉代子), Minako Kawae (川江美奈子)

Most of those are singer-songwriter type - quite different from idols.

Going back to the '80s, I have also compilation CD of Mami Ayukawa (鮎川麻弥) - some nice songs there, including pretty good cover of Modern Talking's "You're My Heart, You're My Soul" ;)

Not sure which ones/how many of those will you like, but at least you have some names to put into YT search to check out ;)

For ultimate cheese, sounding like straight from the eighties, check out girl going by stagename KOTO (not to be confused with Dutch spacesynth band ;)):

I love how they nailed perfectly every aspect of '80s aesthetics (including both beatuiful synth sounds and horrible visuals :P)

Edited by adamstan

35 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

There is this genre called City Pop that was popular in the late 70s and 80s that might fit your description.

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

OTOH most of the Hello!Project idol groups (Morning Musume etc) were rather meh to me - maybe those were the ones you found in the beginning.

Yeah, I think those at least were among the groups that repelled me after 30-40 seconds of listening. ;p

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

However it turns out that most of my japanese CD collection is from '00s. The great thing is, that they still keep many features from earlier years - it isn't like in the western pop, where new style comes and almost completely wipes away the old.

Yeah, I also noticed that while browsing Spotify, was quite surprised to find some very fresh songs in the style I was looking for. But still, it was a pretty tedious search without good points of reference, your response fixes this problem in an impressive manner, so huge thanks for that. ^^

Or else you can always search rateyourmusic.com (basically vndb for music) by making custom charts. Here is one I made listing the best rated (non classical, non soundtrack) 80s albums by artists from Japan. Elvis Costello seems to be living in Japan right now, so his albums are in there as well, but there are still more than enough interesting artists. Right now I'm listening to this, which sounds like Scary Monsters David Bowie made an album together with Kraftwerk while on a very bad trip:

6 minutes ago, alpacaman said:

Right now I'm listening to this, which sounds like Scary Monsters David Bowie made an album together with Kraftwerk while on a very bad trip:

I dig it! Very trippy indeed, but I like this kind of stuff. ^^ I'll definitely use your advice too. :)

Confession: I totaly derailed Fuwanovel Confessions thread into a retro JP music one. :isla:

2 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Yay, nostalgia thread! :)

I always thought this was a bit of a quirky song when I heard it as a kid. Probably still holds the gold for the most misleading start to an anime OP.

Haha, poor old kiddy me didn't know what he was getting into watching this in AXN.

Confession: I had a huge crush on the female ninjas (were they called kunoichi in this show?) back when I was a kid.

Edited by Kosakyun
I forgot to put a confession, teehee

Confession: In hindsight, Funyarinpa's goodbye thread seriously freaked me out. :notlikemiya:

But at least it made me realize. While being a weeb, there's no escape. We're all degenerates. We ogle 2D high school girls and enjoy it. We find cartoon 17-years olds attractive, to the point we might want to see them do lewd things like... Kissing and holding hands! And maybe even more... :gasp:

We're all going to hell together. But... Let's be nice to each other in the meantime! Degenerate solidarity! :sacchan:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

2 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Confession: In hindsight, Funyarinpa's goodbye thread seriously freaked me out. :notlikemiya:

But at least it made me realize. While being a weeb, there's no escape. We're all degenerates. We ogle 2D high school girls and enjoy it. We find cartoon 17-years olds attractive, to the point we might want to see them do lewd things like... Kissing and holding hands! And maybe even more... :gasp:

We're all going to hell together. But... Let's be nice to each other in the meantime! Degenerate solidarity! :sacchan:

You... aren't being serious, are you?

1 minute ago, Dreamysyu said:

You... aren't being serious, are you?

The first sentence was actually somewhat serious. The rest was like 80% joking, but there's a sliver of truth in it. Just little commentary on the more over the top parts of the Funyas initial post and the first page of the discussion, which I revisited for some unclear reason. :]

9 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Not to mention the obviously strong opinions that kinda makes standpoints obvious here. :makina: Scary, scary.

Confession: My N3 JLPT exam is in 3 days, and I haven't progressed in the kanji because I totally forgot about it.

Spoiler

D-hrseNXYAEcYj2.jpg

Test please be nice to me....

I started a web project with a friend (and it's anime related!), but I only know how to properly code in PHP :makina: I only know the basics of HTML&CSS and barely any JavaScript. Also I'm terrible at design or anything artistic for that matter.

Time to learn!

On 7/4/2019 at 1:36 PM, Thyndd said:

I started a web project with a friend (and it's anime related!), but I only know how to properly code in PHP :makina: I only know the basics of HTML&CSS and barely any JavaScript. Also I'm terrible at design or anything artistic for that matter.

Time to learn!

I'm not an expert, but I've heard from some people that, apparently, PHP is full of security holes, and they heavily recommended using Pearl or Python instead. And it's not like these are any more difficult, really.

2 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

I'm not an expert, but I've heard from some people that, apparently, PHP is full of security holes, and they heavily recommended using Pearl or Python instead. And it's not like these are any more difficult, really.

PHP does seem to get a lot of hate, mainly due to php 5 and previous versions... However PHP 7 is pretty stable and runs smoothly and fast. 

As for security issues, well, that has a lot more to do with the programming itself and how you filter queries to avoid sql injections and stuff. I've never heard of any security hole caused by a server-side language itself, and I have a hard time conceiving how that could happen, but I'm no expert myself, so I can't say for sure either :makina:

Maybe, just maybe, since i'm gonna learn JavaScript I could go a step further and also learn node.js. It's just that php is so easy and comfy, and I'm so lazy... :yumiko:

Python I had to learn it in college, but I only ever used it for data management and plotting. Never developed web apps with it, but it's definitely an option! 

Edited by Thyndd

55 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

PHP does seem to get a lot of hate, mainly due to php 5 and previous versions... However PHP 7 is pretty stable and runs smoothly and fast. 

As for security issues, well, that has a lot more to do with the programming itself and how you filter queries to avoid sql injections and stuff. I've never heard of any security hole caused by a server-side language itself, and I have a hard time conceiving how that could happen, but I'm no expert myself, so I can't say for sure either :makina:

Maybe, just maybe, since i'm gonna learn JavaScript I could go a step further and also learn node.js. It's just that php is so easy and comfy, and I'm so lazy... :yumiko:

Python I had to learn it in college, but I only ever used it for data management and plotting. Never developed web apps with it, but it's definitely an option! 

i guess php is one of the more used, so it have to take abit of backlash from all security errors its been during the years.

but as always they improve it over the years aswell. so aslong as its stable its all good. 

1 hour ago, Thyndd said:

Well, I guess, this could be an explanation. That person I heard it from is a bit old-fashioned.

1 hour ago, Thyndd said:

Well, technically, php interpreter is still a program that runs on the server side, and, I guess, if there are any problems with that program, they could be exploited somehow? Not that I have any idea how to do that.

But, yeah, maybe he was talking about general stability issues, I'm not sure.

Confession: A few months ago I've sent an application to an international fan studies conference in Cracow (an extremely rare occurrence in Poland) with a presentation on visual novel fan translations and the professionalisation of the FTL industry. They were meant to respond before the end of June and my project was a bit against the theme of the conference (it's meant to be about micro-scale fun creativity, while what I'm doing is way more about macro-scale changes within the VN market in the West and the FTL community), so I long stopped waiting for any kind of positive resolution or working on the project.

So, today, completely out of the blue, I received a message that my abstract was accepted with all-positive reviews and I still can't decide whether I should be happy or get a heart attack (I might go with both), considering how much I am behind with the work necessary to make it happen. The conference is in mid-October, but that only sounds like a lot of time...

Welp, this is going to be an interesting summer. And I'm probably going to spam a lot asking for help and commentary on draft surveys... :chaika:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak