Fuwanovel Confessions

OriginalRen

50 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Huh, I didn't even know about that. I'm pretty sure I don't have anything like that though since I still inhale naturally after coughing. Glad to hear you got that taken care of at least. :)

Yeah, hopefully that's not what you have (and agreed it doesn't sound like it, if you don't have the "whooping" part of it). Just saying: coughs that last forever suck and sometimes actually do need medical attention, so, take care of yourself!

On 10/11/2017 at 2:27 AM, Kenshin_sama said:

Confession 2: Ever since Irma passed I've been dealing with a really bad cough.

Confession: Read "Ever since Irma passed" and thought your grandma passed away or something, hah. Get well soon.

Confession II: I also missed this thread. After it stalled I really haven't visited Fuwa all that often.

Confession III: Currently trying to deal with uni applications (Canada, USA, UK) and it's CHAOTIC.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't get a job. I will NEVER get a job (at least not a conventional one). I don't even WANT a conventional job now. My last attempt (17 years ago) at doing well in college earned me abysmal marks, and a decade and a half of depression (that approached suicidal levels once or twice). And me binge playing Unreal Tournament (and a few other games) was the only thing that got me through those times.

Still, I think I did a hell of a lot better then almost everyone else would have in that situation. I stayed sane, and didn't get hopelessly addicted to something. Now if I could banish my cynic self, and get some sort of online job, I'd be set forever.

So ...... yeah. At least I've always had a great sense of humor.

On 10/12/2017 at 9:23 PM, Funyarinpa said:

Confession III: Currently trying to deal with uni applications (Canada, USA, UK) and it's CHAOTIC.

Update: Due to scores going there late three of my four early applications will be delayed (and considered as regular decision) probably, but one went through properly (and that one is Yale, which I'm mad for having applied to because I have a middling GPA and not many APs, and those who get in are usually legendary people). Canada applications are, for the most part, sent.

Confession: Since it's been going on for so damn long, I finally started seeing a therapist for my insomnia yesterday. And holy shit, her regimen for getting back to regular sleep is kicking my ass pretty hard right now. The aim is to be able to fall asleep within 15 minutes or don't sleep at all, and I ended up not sleeping last night, lol. Fml, I'm tired. :marie:

16 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I don't know, maybe it's considered normal. But I personally lie in bed for about an hour before falling asleep.

Yeah, apparently that's an unhealthy sleeping habit. It might be worth your time to try fixing it so it doesn't lead to severe sleep issues some time down the road.

What I've been doing to get into that habit involve trying to sleep for 15 minutes, get up, then read a book until I'm tired, and repeat. If it's taking you an hour to sleep, that's one hour of being miserably awake while in bed and sending negative messages to your mind when it comes to sleep. This also leads to lower quality of sleep, leading to greater stress throughout the day.

Ideally, you want to get your sleep under control before it gets out of hand like it is for me. If you put it off long enough, it'll hit you pretty hard when you do try to fix it.

1 hour ago, Kenshin_sama said:

What I've been doing to get into that habit involve trying to sleep for 15 minutes, get up, then read a book until I'm tired, and repeat.

Yeah, I got a similar habit recently. Though the downside is that sometimes I become way too immersed in reading and end up staying up late.

For me another way to calm myself down at night is to start making up stories. I think, I became so addicted to this that I basically won't fall asleep until I do it.

Though, honestly, I was never a healthy sleeper. I remember, at the kindergartner we were made to take a nap for several hours in the afternoon, and I doubt I ever fell asleep even once. That's the main reason why I always hated going there.

Edited by Dreamysyu

3 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Though, honestly, I was never a healthy sleeper. I remember, at the kindergartner we were made to take a nap for several hours in the afternoon, and I doubt I ever fell asleep even once. That's the main reason why I always hated going there.

I've never been in a school that made you nap for hours. o.O It was usually something like 15-30 minutes for me.

Yeah, I got a similar habit recently. Though the downside is that sometimes I become way too immersed in reading and end up staying up late.

According to my therapist, it's best to wait until you can't stay awake anymore to start sleeping. You basically want to set a time period for which you allow yourself to sleep and don't take any naps outside of that time period (unless you need to do anything risky, like driving or operating machinery). You can stay awake during your sleep hours if you're having trouble sleeping.

As long as you don't do anything you would do during the day (sexual activity is exempt from this), any activity is fine. I still get tired even while reading immersive books.

For me another way to calm myself down at night is to start making up stories. I think, I became so addicted to this that I basically won't fall asleep until I do it.

By that, do you mean thinking of stories in your head or writing them down? If it's the former, I'd suggest switching to the latter.

15 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I've never been in a school that made you nap for hours. o.O It was usually something like 15-30 minutes for me.

Yeah, it was pretty terrible. The worst part about it is that I had to pretend to be asleep all that time. I don't understand whose bright idea it was, because naps like that are literally torture for the kids who can't sleep.

By that, do you mean thinking of stories in your head or writing them down? If it's the former, I'd suggest switching to the latter.

Thinking them in my head while lying in bed with the eyes closed. Actually, it works pretty well for me, because I'm doing something more or less productive and resting at the same time. Though sometimes I get stuck or run out of ideas.

About writing them down... I don't know, maybe I should consider it.

According to my therapist, it's best to wait until you can't stay awake anymore to start sleeping. You basically want to set a time period for which you allow yourself to sleep and don't take any naps outside of that time period (unless you need to do anything risky, like driving or operating machinery). You can stay awake during your sleep hours if you're having trouble sleeping.

Well, it sounds a bit extreme, but maybe it's a good idea to research it before it gets worse. Overall, right now the main problem for me is that I rarely understand when I'm actually ready to sleep. Sometimes I feel like I'm still full of energy, but then lie down and fall asleep almost instantly. And sometimes I feel really sleepy, and then lie down and then I suddenly can't sleep.

You basically want to set a time period for which you allow yourself to sleep

By the way, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this part. Is it like "my sleep hours are from 11 pm to 7 am, and outside of this period I won't sleep unconditionally", or something else?

1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:

Thinking them in my head while lying in bed with the eyes closed. Actually, it works pretty well for me, because I'm doing something more or less productive and resting at the same time. Though sometimes I get stuck or run out of ideas.

About writing them down... I don't know, maybe I should consider it.

If it was working for you, you'd be falling asleep in 15 minutes. :P I've had a few ideas myself on how to balance my sleep, but it turned out some of them were bad. One was just closing my eyes and waiting until I fell asleep, but that's actually what contributed to my insomnia. And although I never tried it (I rarely drink at all), drinking alcohol is apparently bad for sleep too, and I know several people swear by the drink-to-sleep method.

I think you're also kinda guilty of applying a temporary sleep fix that works against you in the long run. Ideally you want your head to be as relaxed as possible, which means you shouldn't be stimulating it to such a degree with an active imagination. Writing works a lot better because it allows you to dump those thoughts on paper so that they don't encumber your sleep.

Well, it sounds a bit extreme, but maybe it's a good idea to research it before it gets worse. Overall, right now the main problem for me is that I rarely understand when I'm actually ready to sleep. Sometimes I feel like I'm still full of energy, but then lie down and fall asleep almost instantly. And sometimes I feel really sleepy, and then lie down and then I suddenly can't sleep.

Yeah, you don't want to fall asleep instantly either; that's just as bad as taking too long to sleep. The most important thing is to train your mind to fall asleep when you need to. From what you've described, it definitely sounds like you have some work to do to improve your sleep.

By the way, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this part. Is it like "my sleep hours are from 11 pm to 7 am, and outside of this period I won't sleep unconditionally", or something else?

Oh, excuse me. To clarify: if your hours are 11pm to 7am, then 11pm is the earliest you can fall asleep; if you don't feel sleepy until 12am, then don't go to bed until 12am; and when you're not within your designated sleep time, don't sleep. I hope that makes more sense.

Here's a few other guidelines I'm following to help things along:

• Don't watch TV or read in bed. If you need to read to relax, do it outside of your bedroom.
  • If you can't sleep, stop trying and get out of your bedroom.
  • Pay attention to how long you're awake, but don't use a clock to measure your 15 minutes. This will be hard to accomplish on your first night trying, but eventually you'll be able to tell when you won't fall asleep in that time frame. If you get to a point where you feel the need to toss and turn, definitely get out of bed.
  • Don't feel discouraged if you don't get any sleep; keep training your mind to feel sleepy.
  • Don't try to sleep; it's suppose to happen naturally.
  • Don't take naps during the day unless you absolutely need one to drive a car or perform dangerous tasks. Even then, don't nap for more than 30 minutes.
  • If you can help it, never deviate from your sleep schedule.
  • Try setting up a cooldown time about an hour or two before you sleep. When I'm about to sleep, I allocate two hours every night to take a hot shower, read books, and drink my non-caffeinated bedtime tea.

Tonight I actually managed to fall asleep in 15 minutes for 3 hours. Still terrible, but it's better than the night before, lol.