Fuwanovel Confessions

OriginalRen

2 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Yay, nostalgia thread! :)

I always thought this was a bit of a quirky song when I heard it as a kid. Probably still holds the gold for the most misleading start to an anime OP.

Haha, poor old kiddy me didn't know what he was getting into watching this in AXN.

Confession: I had a huge crush on the female ninjas (were they called kunoichi in this show?) back when I was a kid.

Edited by Kosakyun
I forgot to put a confession, teehee

• 2 weeks later...

Confession: In hindsight, Funyarinpa's goodbye thread seriously freaked me out. :notlikemiya:

But at least it made me realize. While being a weeb, there's no escape. We're all degenerates. We ogle 2D high school girls and enjoy it. We find cartoon 17-years olds attractive, to the point we might want to see them do lewd things like... Kissing and holding hands! And maybe even more... :gasp:

We're all going to hell together. But... Let's be nice to each other in the meantime! Degenerate solidarity! :sacchan:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

2 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Confession: In hindsight, Funyarinpa's goodbye thread seriously freaked me out. :notlikemiya:

But at least it made me realize. While being a weeb, there's no escape. We're all degenerates. We ogle 2D high school girls and enjoy it. We find cartoon 17-years olds attractive, to the point we might want to see them do lewd things like... Kissing and holding hands! And maybe even more... :gasp:

We're all going to hell together. But... Let's be nice to each other in the meantime! Degenerate solidarity! :sacchan:

You... aren't being serious, are you?

1 minute ago, Dreamysyu said:

You... aren't being serious, are you?

The first sentence was actually somewhat serious. The rest was like 80% joking, but there's a sliver of truth in it. Just little commentary on the more over the top parts of the Funyas initial post and the first page of the discussion, which I revisited for some unclear reason. :]

9 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Not to mention the obviously strong opinions that kinda makes standpoints obvious here. :makina: Scary, scary.

Confession: My N3 JLPT exam is in 3 days, and I haven't progressed in the kanji because I totally forgot about it.

Spoiler

D-hrseNXYAEcYj2.jpg

Test please be nice to me....

On 7/4/2019 at 1:36 PM, Thyndd said:

I started a web project with a friend (and it's anime related!), but I only know how to properly code in PHP :makina: I only know the basics of HTML&CSS and barely any JavaScript. Also I'm terrible at design or anything artistic for that matter.

Time to learn!

I'm not an expert, but I've heard from some people that, apparently, PHP is full of security holes, and they heavily recommended using Pearl or Python instead. And it's not like these are any more difficult, really.

2 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

I'm not an expert, but I've heard from some people that, apparently, PHP is full of security holes, and they heavily recommended using Pearl or Python instead. And it's not like these are any more difficult, really.

PHP does seem to get a lot of hate, mainly due to php 5 and previous versions... However PHP 7 is pretty stable and runs smoothly and fast. 

As for security issues, well, that has a lot more to do with the programming itself and how you filter queries to avoid sql injections and stuff. I've never heard of any security hole caused by a server-side language itself, and I have a hard time conceiving how that could happen, but I'm no expert myself, so I can't say for sure either :makina:

Maybe, just maybe, since i'm gonna learn JavaScript I could go a step further and also learn node.js. It's just that php is so easy and comfy, and I'm so lazy... :yumiko:

Python I had to learn it in college, but I only ever used it for data management and plotting. Never developed web apps with it, but it's definitely an option! 

Edited by Thyndd

1 hour ago, Thyndd said:

PHP does seem to get a lot of hate, mainly due to php 5 and previous versions... However PHP 7 is pretty stable and runs smoothly and fast. 

Well, I guess, this could be an explanation. That person I heard it from is a bit old-fashioned.

1 hour ago, Thyndd said:

As for security issues, well, that has a lot more to do with the programming itself and how you filter queries to avoid sql injections and stuff. I've never heard of any security hole caused by a server-side language itself, and I have a hard time conceiving how that could happen, but I'm no expert myself, so I can't say for sure either :makina:

Well, technically, php interpreter is still a program that runs on the server side, and, I guess, if there are any problems with that program, they could be exploited somehow? Not that I have any idea how to do that.

But, yeah, maybe he was talking about general stability issues, I'm not sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Confession: A few months ago I've sent an application to an international fan studies conference in Cracow (an extremely rare occurrence in Poland) with a presentation on visual novel fan translations and the professionalisation of the FTL industry. They were meant to respond before the end of June and my project was a bit against the theme of the conference (it's meant to be about micro-scale fun creativity, while what I'm doing is way more about macro-scale changes within the VN market in the West and the FTL community), so I long stopped waiting for any kind of positive resolution or working on the project.

So, today, completely out of the blue, I received a message that my abstract was accepted with all-positive reviews and I still can't decide whether I should be happy or get a heart attack (I might go with both), considering how much I am behind with the work necessary to make it happen. The conference is in mid-October, but that only sounds like a lot of time...

Welp, this is going to be an interesting summer. And I'm probably going to spam a lot asking for help and commentary on draft surveys... :chaika:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Confeession: 
Yesterday October-09-2019 I have presentation for my college last test. I made a lot mistake during Q&A part where I should defend(keep up) what I did. But somehow maybe because I'm nervous or I don't know what I am thinking anymore I didn't did what should I do which there's few question specific 2 question I give up(this part where is important where I should never give up even tho I don't know the answer but I still give up in the end without giving a try to do it). even one of the lecturer said to me it'll lower my score later.
So after presentation and Q&A done I feel like I won't pass which I need  to repeat it. But somehow in the end I pass... 

So my friend who close with lecturer have disccusion about meeting who shall pass or not (which only 6 peoples who participate including me) out of 6 peoples there's 3 actually didn't pass and need to repeat that also including me. But because out of pity they let us pass instead. But out of 3 peoples who didn't pass the lecturer said I'm the worse(I heard it not from lecturer itself but my friend) cause I give up instead give a try.

Because of that somehow even I pass. I keep thinking about mistake I made like "I should give a try instead" "why I give up that time" and have lot of negative thinking and bad feeling everytime I remember it. I know its waste of time thinking about stuff happen but damn its just won't go away... 

I have been trying watch some NLP videos few hours ago at least for reducing or get rid the bad feeling or negative thinking about what I made sadly its not working maybe because I'm not focus or what. :notlikemiya: :notlikemiya::notlikemiya:

Worse part I need to fix mistake what I did wrong which I need to meet my mentor who help me do this last test and college teacher who did Q&A with me. I don't know how to face them later on especially my mentor who also join meeting.  :rubycry:

On 9/10/2019 at 12:03 PM, Skypie said:
Spoiler

Confeession: 
Yesterday October-09-2019 I have presentation for my college last test. I made a lot mistake during Q&A part where I should defend(keep up) what I did. But somehow maybe because I'm nervous or I don't know what I am thinking anymore I didn't did what should I do which there's few question specific 2 question I give up(this part where is important where I should never give up even tho I don't know the answer but I still give up in the end without giving a try to do it). even one of the lecturer said to me it'll lower my score later.
So after presentation and Q&A done I feel like I won't pass which I need  to repeat it. But somehow in the end I pass... 

So my friend who close with lecturer have disccusion about meeting who shall pass or not (which only 6 peoples who participate including me) out of 6 peoples there's 3 actually didn't pass and need to repeat that also including me. But because out of pity they let us pass instead. But out of 3 peoples who didn't pass the lecturer said I'm the worse(I heard it not from lecturer itself but my friend) cause I give up instead give a try.

Because of that somehow even I pass. I keep thinking about mistake I made like "I should give a try instead" "why I give up that time" and have lot of negative thinking and bad feeling everytime I remember it. I know its waste of time thinking about stuff happen but damn its just won't go away... 

I have been trying watch some NLP videos few hours ago at least for reducing or get rid the bad feeling or negative thinking about what I made sadly its not working maybe because I'm not focus or what. :notlikemiya: :notlikemiya::notlikemiya:

Worse part I need to fix mistake what I did wrong which I need to meet my mentor who help me do this last test and college teacher who did Q&A with me. I don't know how to face them later on especially my mentor who also join meeting.  :rubycry:

At least you did the presentation www

On 10.09.2019 at 11:03 AM, Skypie said:

I feel you, man. I messed up my Bachelor's Degree defence super-hard because my brain kind of shut down from stress. I was also a pretty shitty student back then, but still did WAY worse then my actual knowledge allowed for. The only thing that helped me was that the reviewers pretty much saw I just did so poorly because of how nervous I was. I still get anxious at the sheer memory of it.

The part that makes it better is that I did really well with my master's thesis. You might also have some opportunities to redeem yourself still? In general, no need to agonize over it. It's a learning experience and if your mentor isn't a dickhead he'll treat it the same. :]

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be too good at growing Snails in my tropical fishtank. While I liked my Ramshorn snails, they multiplied way too fast and became a burden. At least I've gotten rid of 99% of them...

But now, my Mystery Snail (who's been in there all this time), now it decided to lay eggsacks (THREE of them at that!). And now they are starting to hatch. In about the next month, I'm probably gonna have 90 snails hatch in total.

I did nothing deliberate to make this happen. It just happened on it's own.

Heh :sachi:

• 4 weeks later...

Confession: Hello, everybody. I'm back from my month-long break from the interwebs. It was something I decided to do after reading Digital Minimalism and deciding to adopt a more focused lifestyle that doesn't involve compulsively browsing the internet, and so far it's going well! I'm able to engage in more productive activities to cope with anxiety, I'm learning how to avoid information overload, and I'm not allowing myself to be manipulated by new-generation technology.

For the longest time I've been relying too heavily on quick fix life hacks to get my life together, and the book I read suggested that it's not enough to tackle the issues of hyper-connectivity. I need to establish a philosophy on tech so that I can maintain a greater lifestyle balance, and the book has some excellent advice in regards to that. One of those tips involved taking a 1-month hiatus from all optional technology so that I can practice better judgment for when I reintroduce them into my life.

So far, I've decided to drop facebook entirely. I don't feel particularly close to anyone there except for my family, and I can just call them when I need to talk to them. I'm going to strictly limit my use of YouTube to educational use only. I've decided I don't want to use Discord anymore either (sorry, @mitchhamilton!); I just can't bring myself to use it moderately.

I am going to restrict my time on Fuwanovel to 30 minutes and turn off all notifications as well. If I'm expecting replies to something, I'll just go directly to the thread. The issue with notifications is that they invoke addictive tendencies for me, and I just don't want to deal with them anymore. That said, I've gotten so much emotional support here that I just can't bring myself to leave completely. I wouldn't have even gone to therapy if it weren't for this very thread, and it was thanks to therapy that I even managed to start college at all. I still love the community here too. It wasn't hard to decide that I needed this forum in my life, even if it does seem a little odd for a minimalist, lol.

Anyways, I'm happy to finally be back here. I missed you guys! :wub:

(And that's it for my 30 minutes, lol. I'll be back on tomorrow~)

19 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Confession: Hello, everybody. I'm back from my month-long break from the interwebs. It was something I decided to do after reading Digital Minimalism and deciding to adopt a more focused lifestyle that doesn't involve compulsively browsing the internet, and so far it's going well! I'm able to engage in more productive activities to cope with anxiety, I'm learning how to avoid information overload, and I'm not allowing myself to be manipulated by new-generation technology.

For the longest time I've been relying too heavily on quick fix life hacks to get my life together, and the book I read suggested that it's not enough to tackle the issues of hyper-connectivity. I need to establish a philosophy on tech so that I can maintain a greater lifestyle balance, and the book has some excellent advice in regards to that. One of those tips involved taking a 1-month hiatus from all optional technology so that I can practice better judgment for when I reintroduce them into my life.

So far, I've decided to drop facebook entirely. I don't feel particularly close to anyone there except for my family, and I can just call them when I need to talk to them. I'm going to strictly limit my use of YouTube to educational use only. I've decided I don't want to use Discord anymore either (sorry, @mitchhamilton!); I just can't bring myself to use it moderately.

I am going to restrict my time on Fuwanovel to 30 minutes and turn off all notifications as well. If I'm expecting replies to something, I'll just go directly to the thread. The issue with notifications is that they invoke addictive tendencies for me, and I just don't want to deal with them anymore. That said, I've gotten so much emotional support here that I just can't bring myself to leave completely. I wouldn't have even gone to therapy if it weren't for this very thread, and it was thanks to therapy that I even managed to start college at all. I still love the community here too. It wasn't hard to decide that I needed this forum in my life, even if it does seem a little odd for a minimalist, lol.

Anyways, I'm happy to finally be back here. I missed you guys! :wub:

(And that's it for my 30 minutes, lol. I'll be back on tomorrow~)

30 minutes is no problem when you're browsing and reading stuff on this forum, but I have on occasion taken well over two hours writing a post, so I understand how it can consume some time.

I understand how notifications can impose negative habits or tendencies. My worst behaviours related to notifications are definitely me wasting away days waiting for replies where I didn't know when they'd come. That said, I only waste days when I've days to waste. As I'm in a busy period right now I really pay very little attention to notifications.