Fuwanovel Confessions

OriginalRen

2 minutes ago, Barktooth said:

LOL, I would be 110% more stressed if I knew I was in possession of illegal substances, so no thanks :P 

But hey, hmm.. I could probably get an Adderall prescription and sell it to people....

great brought someone on a bad idea:/, knew i shouldn't have said that:vinty:.

@Kenshin_samaCongrats baby sis. Or wait, that might be my ......... Nevermind i hope your college experience is the best dude. A little tip from the incredibly young and handsome totodile (i can dream right?) though, if you do manage to be one of the few that survive check out if you want to pursue a masters in said field as soon as possible. It's best to start that 1-2 years after college, or you might regret it. Otherwise go out there and lose your virginity get a great education.  :makina:

3 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

With the way the economy in the US is going right now, I'm not so sure it's worth it to get a masters.

Well its not only in the us,

After i got my bachelor in applied science, i seriously considered getting my master but despite wanting to see if i could do it i decided against it.
here is why, in order to get my master i would have to move out of the house and borrow the money necessary for studying which would come to about 1000 euro a month.
Considering i come from HBO and not WO school i would first need to take a switching course of a year.
That means in order to get my master in chemistry i would need three years at a minimum, with a very real chance that it might take 4 years which.
another possibility is that i find it to hard and cant do it, which will mean i have just pissed away a lot of money.

Moreover i can not work during that time and as such will miss a potential income.
Now lets just say during those three years or four years i will earn a income of 2100 euros untaxed.
(the average starting wage for a bachelor chemist here is around 2300 euro untaxed a month, excluding vacation money and a 13th month)
So I am making my geuss on a rather conservative amount.

that means during those three years i will miss an income of:
75.600 euro + 36.000 in loans for a total of, 111.600 euro.
Now lets assume getting my master will mean that i will earn about 1000 euro more on average, that means i will need at least 10 years to make up for it all.
And then i am not even getting started about taking longer, or failing.

When i started with my bachelor, i knew i could do it and and no qualms about it, i also did not have to move for it and as such i currently don't have any student loans of significance.

I just did not find it a good feeling to have to start with a debt and possibly being stuck with a debt and no benefit to show for it.

46 minutes ago, havoc said:

~snip~

Oh, okay. I'm not entirely surprised to hear about that, although I'm not entirely familiar with economies outside my country. Not even really sure if there are any countries where college students would be better off with a masters, but I'm really not interested enough to know right now. According to an article I read on Forbes, I'd really only be making an extra 10k at the start, and I haven't heard of any companies that are prioritizing graduates with that kind of education.

I'm not entirely concerned about my tuition costs right now. I'll be getting roughly $1900 per month from the GI Bill for 3 years and $2800 this year from a Pell Grant (not sure what I'll be getting after this), which I mostly plan on setting to the side for future tuition costs ($1000 a month from my GI Bill, and another $1200 from the grant). If I'm able to land a job pays somewhere close to the median income for computer programmers (which is $77,000 per year), then I should be able to cover all the costs I need to get my masters within a year or two, but I'd throw in a third year just in case.

So it's not so much a concern as to how I'll be able to pay for a masters, but whether or not it'll be worth it. In my situation, it very likely would be, but I really honestly don't know. I'd rather put in a few years of actual work with an AS so that I can get a better feel for what's more desirable. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have some work experience to go along with that higher education.

7 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Oh, okay. I'm not entirely surprised to hear about that, although I'm not entirely familiar with economies outside my country. Not even really sure if there are any countries where college students would be better off with a masters, but I'm really not interested enough to know right now. According to an article I read on Forbes, I'd really only be making an extra 10k at the start, and I haven't heard of any companies that are prioritizing graduates with that kind of education.

I'm not entirely concerned about my tuition costs right now. I'll be getting roughly $1900 per month from the GI Bill for 3 years and $2800 this year from a Pell Grant (not sure what I'll be getting after this), which I mostly plan on setting to the side for future tuition costs ($1000 a month from my GI Bill, and another $1200 from the grant). If I'm able to land a job pays somewhere close to the median income for computer programmers (which is $77,000 per year), then I should be able to cover all the costs I need to get my masters within a year or two, but I'd throw in a third year just in case.

So it's not so much a concern as to how I'll be able to pay for a masters, but whether or not it'll be worth it. In my situation, it very likely would be, but I really honestly don't know. I'd rather put in a few years of actual work with an AS so that I can get a better feel for what's more desirable. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have some work experience to go along with that higher education.

true, i might also still decide to get a master in one or two years.
Depends entirely if i still want it at that point.

Getting a master's degree can give you higher income at first but also a higher likelihood of getting hired somewhere, which can be relevant for countries where unemployment is growing (pretty much everywhere). And well, there's also the question of what the hell you want to do with your life, too. But of course you can't always afford it.

Just now, Down said:

Getting a master's degree can give you higher income at first but also a higher likelihood of getting hired somewhere, which can be relevant for countries where unemployment is growing (pretty much everywhere). And well, there's also the question of what the hell you want to do with your life, too. But of course you can't always afford it.

Also highly dependant in which work sector you end up, there is plenty of work in the chemical industry and there probably will be for quite a long time.
Studying one of the Beta science educations is as far as i am aware still a pretty safe bet on a decent salary and job stability.

On 2016/8/10 at 11:34 PM, Zenophilious said:

Confession: While listening to the same songs over and over and over again at work, I realized that I'd be willing to pay a decent amount of money for Sean Connery to sing The Sign by Ace of Base.  Too bad I'll never get the chance to make that happen  :sleep:

On some days when I work alone, I blast my own music (RPG bgms, vn bgms) in my workplace. :P

2 minutes ago, rainsismyfav said:

On some days when I work alone, I blast my own music (RPG bgms, vn bgms) in my workplace. :P

Lucky  >.<  I can't choose the music, and I'm pretty sure it's Muzak, sooooo yeah, the most famous 80's and 90's music intermixed with shitty 2000's pop music.  I'd love Pandora or anything (as long as it's not more pop music), but retail is gonna be retail, so Muzak it is.  At least they started playing Lady (Hear Me Tonight) every once in a while.

Alright, my 1st day at college wasn't too too horrible. Nothing went wrong at all, but I'm having a lot of difficulty mentally adjusting to it. Thankfully most of my work is doable at home though, so it's not all that bad.

One thing that's bothering me though is that I'm still in the habit of dramatizing my situation. This morning I had difficulty getting out of bed because I was overcome by an irrational fear of how things would turn out for me, and I'm losing my appetite again too. I eventually forced myself out of bed and went outside for fresh air, and I immediately felt better and was able to start getting my thoughts in order. I think as long as I'm able to recover like this, I should be fine for keeping up with my assignments.

Still, I don't know why this happens; it seems to trigger every time I leave my comfort zone. I've been having this issue ever since I joined the military, and it persisted with the job I use to have. Well, hopefully I can start improving my lifestyle once I have a little more cash in my pocket. At least with that I'll be able to improve my diet and get a better bed.

Just now, Kenshin_sama said:

Alright, my 1st day at college wasn't too too horrible. Nothing went wrong at all, but I'm having a lot of difficulty mentally adjusting to it. Thankfully most of my work is doable at home though, so it's not all that bad.

One thing that's bothering me though is that I'm still in the habit of dramatizing my situation. This morning I had difficulty getting out of bed because I was overcome by an irrational fear of how things would turn out for me, and I'm losing my appetite again too. I eventually forced myself out of bed and went outside for fresh air, and I immediately felt better and was able to start getting my thoughts in order. I think as long as I'm able to recover like this, I should be fine for keeping up with my assignments.

Still, I don't know why this happens; it seems to trigger every time I leave my comfort zone. I've been having this issue ever since I joined the military, and it persisted with the job I use to have. Well, hopefully I can start improving my lifestyle once I have a little more cash in my pocket. At least with that I'll be able to improve my diet and get a better bed.

Your not the only one, as I have just started finding a job and writing a solicitation letter still drives me bonkers.
It always ends up feeling like the temperature just skyrocketed and i take ages before i start writing.

Add to that the amount of bonkers you have to write into one and it makes me feel pretty darn uncomfortable.

2 minutes ago, havoc said:

Your not the only one, as I have just started finding a job and writing a solicitation letter still drives me bonkers.
It always ends up feeling like the temperature just skyrocketed and i take ages before i start writing.

Add to that the amount of bonkers you have to write into one and it makes me feel pretty darn uncomfortable.

Figuring out how to start a paper is pretty damn hard for me too. Out of all the classes I'm taking right now, my composition class pretty much my main source of anxiety. The other one is the online class I'm taking for introduction to computers; which isn't really due to the coursework, but just the fact that it's online. Due to life circumstances, I didn't really have much choice in taking it. :( I know I'd want to get use to it eventually, but I didn't want it on my 1st term.

56 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Glad to hear you're optimistic about it! Not that I'm at all experienced or reliable on these matters, but maybe try to listen to some songs that pump you up every morning if you get anxious? If you tend to dramatize your situation and that causes anxiety, maybe the opposite would be true as well! Just my .02$.

59 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Figuring out how to start a paper is pretty damn hard for me too. Out of all the classes I'm taking right now, my composition class pretty much my main source of anxiety. The other one is the online class I'm taking for introduction to computers; which isn't really due to the coursework, but just the fact that it's online. Due to life circumstances, I didn't really have much choice in taking it. :( I know I'd want to get use to it eventually, but I didn't want it on my 1st term.

Well personally i have a lot less trouble starting a paper that i have with writing a application letter.
Mostly because a paper is supposed to make sense and not be a lot of bullcrap, and since i study chemistry you basically always have to start in the same manner.

A application letter on the other hand is a load of bullcrap that you have to string together with lies to please someone who could be your boss 45+ fucktard with a overinflated ego.

And since this is about as good a description of me you can find, i have some trouble with that.

51 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Glad to hear you're optimistic about it! Not that I'm at all experienced or reliable on these matters, but maybe try to listen to some songs that pump you up every morning if you get anxious? If you tend to dramatize your situation and that causes anxiety, maybe the opposite would be true as well! Just my .02$.

That's a pretty good idea, and I actually found an alarm app that would fit perfectly for what I need it for. Sadly, that'll have to wait until I can afford a better phone that can hold more than a handful of mp3s, or an alarm with similar features. I won't be content unless I have a certain number different songs to play. Yeah, I know, I'm too much of a perfectionist for my own good.

36 minutes ago, havoc said:

Well personally i have a lot less trouble starting a paper that i have with writing a application letter.
Mostly because a paper is supposed to make sense and not be a lot of bullcrap, and since i study chemistry you basically always have to start in the same manner.

A application letter on the other hand is a load of bullcrap that you have to string together with lies to please someone who could be your boss 45+ fucktard with a overinflated ego.

And since this is about as good a description of me you can find, i have some trouble with that.

Oh, I see. Yeah, it's not always easy being an introvert. :vinty:

That's a pretty damn accurate image collection.

17 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I'll repeat for both of you my usual life advice: identify the things that make you nervous or frightened but which you genuinely want or need to do, and push yourself to do them over and over and over again, until they're just second nature.

Believe it or not, that hasn't worked at all for me in the past, although this time it might. Now that the introduction phase is over, I have all of my online utilities set up, and I'm actually doing work now, I'm beginning to feel a lot better about taking classes. Part of my anxiety was not knowing how classes were structured, and I was in a pretty heightened state of alertness to make sure I wasn't messing anything up. Today was much much much more comfortable for me, and I didn't come out of it a nervous wreck.

That being said, I forgot to drink my tea this morning, so my concentration was not that great today, lol. It only really hurt me for note-taking in my composition class, so hopefully I can find the information I need online to fix that. If not, I'll try emailing my professor. I didn't want to hold up the rest of the class just because my brain shut off for a moment.