Fuwanovel Confessions

OriginalRen

4 hours ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Time to vent a bit. If you are uncomfortable with the themes of death, old age and I guess to some extent, Alzheimer's, read on, I'm sure you'll love this. :sachi:

My grandmother is at death's door. There's only so much pumping her full of medicine every day can do. This is the first time that I've had to deal with a family member getting too old, and the whole situation makes me rather sad. I remember she used to come by hour house every month and do the ironing. After a few years, though, she had an attack and hurt her leg. She became unable to walk without crutches and as a consequence became a bit depressed. She started wanting to do things like leaving the house to get a coffee or something, which was nice and healthy. But then life decided to add salt to the wound: the house she and my grandfather lived in was too old, so it had to be rebuilt. She went to live with some family which I guess was probably the healthiest she's been since then. When they finished rebuilding my grandparents' house, due to some mistake the house ended up with huge steps before the doorway, as opposed to the small ones they used to have. Since it was very hard for my grandmother to traverse them, she was now stuck in the house and got even more depressed. Of course, she insisted on living there with her husband anyway. One day, she might have fallen at home or something without telling anyone, and my grandfather didn't notice anything. So she wounded her back and it kep getting worse and worse and the pain was such that she had to go to the hospital. The wound was terrible and she had others, too. If nobody keeps watch on her, nobody will know if she hurts herself because she won't tell anyone. She kept complaining for being at the hospital, of course, but she finally went back home three days ago. A family member went by to visit and what did they find out? She was completely off her medication and had peed herself. She can't take care of herself anymore. She can't do much anymore. And my grandfather, who's even older than her, can't take care of her anymore. She's currently sick at the hospital and I'm not expecting her to come back.

The idea one is too sick to do anything and even live, hurts. Another family member who's in her 90's is still relatively healthy, able to cook, walk, use the bathroom, etc. She lives by herself although near family. Her memory's terrible though. She once was telling me a story and answering my questions and at some point she just looped back to the start.

That's an awful story. I'm sorry to hear you're having to go through all that. It's not easy to see someone you know and love go through that kind of misery. :(

58 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

That's an awful story. I'm sorry to hear you're having to go through all that. It's not easy to see someone you know and love go through that kind of misery. :(

I don't have to deal with the brunt of it, nor do I know her too well. My parents are the ones who really have it hard yet deal with it seemingly well. I suppose when it's my parents' turn I'll have this experience under my belt.

6 hours ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Time to vent a bit. If you are uncomfortable with the themes of death, old age and I guess to some extent, Alzheimer's, read on, I'm sure you'll love this. :sachi:

My grandmother is at death's door. There's only so much pumping her full of medicine every day can do. This is the first time that I've had to deal with a family member getting too old, and the whole situation makes me rather sad. I remember she used to come by hour house every month and do the ironing. After a few years, though, she had an attack and hurt her leg. She became unable to walk without crutches and as a consequence became a bit depressed. She started wanting to do things like leaving the house to get a coffee or something, which was nice and healthy. But then life decided to add salt to the wound: the house she and my grandfather lived in was too old, so it had to be rebuilt. She went to live with some family which I guess was probably the healthiest she's been since then. When they finished rebuilding my grandparents' house, due to some mistake the house ended up with huge steps before the doorway, as opposed to the small ones they used to have. Since it was very hard for my grandmother to traverse them, she was now stuck in the house and got even more depressed. Of course, she insisted on living there with her husband anyway. One day, she might have fallen at home or something without telling anyone, and my grandfather didn't notice anything. So she wounded her back and it kep getting worse and worse and the pain was such that she had to go to the hospital. The wound was terrible and she had others, too. If nobody keeps watch on her, nobody will know if she hurts herself because she won't tell anyone. She kept complaining for being at the hospital, of course, but she finally went back home three days ago. A family member went by to visit and what did they find out? She was completely off her medication and had peed herself. She can't take care of herself anymore. She can't do much anymore. And my grandfather, who's even older than her, can't take care of her anymore. She's currently sick at the hospital and I'm not expecting her to come back.

The idea one is too sick to do anything and even live, hurts. Another family member who's in her 90's is still relatively healthy, able to cook, walk, use the bathroom, etc. She lives by herself although near family. Her memory's terrible though. She once was telling me a story and answering my questions and at some point she just looped back to the start.

I'm not entirely sure what to say about this. I've never lost a family member I knew myself. All I can say is, good luck, hope you and your family make it through this.

32 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

I don't have to deal with the brunt of it, nor do I know her too well. My parents are the ones who really have it hard yet deal with it seemingly well. I suppose when it's my parents' turn I'll have this experience under my belt.

The keyword there is seemingly, some people (like myself) try to keep the pain away from others so as not to upset or worry them. Unfortunately, that can make it hurt more.

Maybe try and console them a bit? Though, that's entirely up to you, as I have no idea what they're like.

1 hour ago, Shikomizue said:

I'm not entirely sure what to say about this. I've never lost a family member I knew myself. All I can say is, good luck, hope you and your family make it through this.

Nah, we're all gonna commit mass suicide every time a family member dies. You see how stupid that sounds? Of course we're going to make it. My parents' grandparents died before my parents' parents and everyone survived until now. Death is an entirely natural thing and it happens to everyone, including you and your family. The main issue is how I used to think dying from old age was best, but I was clearly clueless.

1 hour ago, Shikomizue said:

The keyword there is seemingly, some people (like myself) try to keep the pain away from others so as not to upset or worry them. Unfortunately, that can make it hurt more.

Maybe try and console them a bit? Though, that's entirely up to you, as I have no idea what they're like.

You're incorrect. They do keep the pain bottled up, yes, but they're not trying to hide it, they're saving it for the funeral, as it truly is pointless to depress now. Do they need consolation? Perhaps, but not from an insensitive bastard like myself, surely.

7 hours ago, Tiagofvarela said:

I can empathize; I've been through that with all four of my grandparents, at various times over the last twenty years. It sucks, and it's going to be a lot harder on you than it was for me most of those times, since I was a lot younger and less aware.

Hang in there, buddy.

11 hours ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Yeah, no steps for older people dude. Their joints stiffen up and they have trouble getting up or down. Should have turned it into a ramp or something.

But they also make a habit of going off meds if they feel like a burden. My Grandmother died a while ago from kidney problems because she tried to make her medication last longer.

Older people generally need more care. My neighbour growing up was a former farmer, fit as anything, until the day he wasn't fit as anything and could no longer look after himself. It was fine while his daughter was alive because she'd always visit and take care of him, because his son didn't really care. Once she died, he shipped him off to a home and rented out the house. It's very sad, but you need to take care of your grandparents.

2 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Confession: I'd never heard of Koiken Otome until people started going ape-shit about it a week ago.

Confession: I'm surprised that the patch for it even finished. I was interested in it when I found the thread for its TL, but now I'm too focused on other stuff to pick it up.

13 minutes ago, Skypie said:

Confession: my laptop lcd broke and now I don't know what to do without my laptop . . . . :marie:

What CD broke, the windows CD or the drive itself?

Edit: I cant read for shit.

You can always hook the laptop up to a external screen or tv.

30 minutes ago, Skypie said:

Yeah what I know I put too much pressure on my laptop *regret* :pyaa:

Looking at it, it looks old enough to be out of warranty.
Maybe you can check how much it would cost you to get it fixed?
Else, well the only option would be to connect to an external screen.
And i would not worry to much to be seen while playing, i have been playing to for years with a desktop and nobody ever saw anything they were not supposed to see.