Fuwanovel Confessions

OriginalRen

5 hours ago, AaronIsCrunchy said:

Means you should take up the piano :sachi:

I did when I was smaller. I quitted.

Now, when I am older and I would love to play piano for real... I have no money for it. :amane:

...That's another unfulfilled dream of mine...

4 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Girl. 

Fingers. 

"Long"

Need I say more? 

[spoiler] I am kidding, not everything is an innuendo  [/spoiler] 

But this might be :makina: 

6 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Make a list. Make specific goals. Make sure you're making progress on those goals. And do the cleaning within the next two days, because you can actually knock that out in a day and make your list shorter, which feels good.

6 hours ago, Down said:

Yes, making lists of things to do is a great way to postpone other things you have to do while making you feel like you're actually doing something :Teeku:

E8OP2te.gif

On 4/12/2016 at 9:26 PM, TexasDice said:

Today I was once again reminded why I hate arguing. I effectively wasted 4 hours of my life with explaining my unchanging viewpoint to others with opposing unchanging viewpoints. 

So now I'm sitting here asking myself; What was the point? And why did I not just use my time for something that is actually worth it?

I have long given up trying to persuade people in arguments, due pretty much to being part of one of the most stubborn families in the history of forever. I still argue though because I find pleasure and entertainment in it. 

I actually read a very lengthy article on how humans are hardwired to "win" arguments and that our psyche is not designed for intelligent discussion. It went into detail that the only subjects that people were willing to change their stance on, were the subjects they cared the least about. 

When an argument reaches an apparent impasse, I do one of two things

1. If I don't care, I walk away and make sure to let the other person have the last word, so they can "win" the argument.
  2. If I do care (rare, but it does happen, almost exclusively at work), I just keep explaining my position and I ask questions and try really hard to better understand their position and their reasons for holding it.

People (at least the ones I meet - your experience may be different, especially those of you working in retail :amane:) are actually pretty rational. If you're having that serious an argument, and what they're saying just doesn't make sense given what you know, then one or both of you is almost certainly just doing a poor job of explaining either your facts or your reasoning. So, both of you need to listen better and explain better, and you can usually work through that. Compromising, even on a really ugly argument, can be done (I know; I've done it, many times). But everybody involved has to fix their brains first, because people don't start that way.

Practice by losing a lot of arguments. By that I mean actually admitting to yourself that you were incorrect, and further realize that it was a fact or rationale that the other person provided you that convinced you of your incorrectness. For that practice, I highly recommend philosophy - most of that shit hardly matters at all and is incredibly subtle. Find someone who knows more about it than you do and go to town.

Arguing on forums is also different in the sense that you're being read by other people than the one(s) you're arguing with. People kinda outside the debate are more likely to be sensitive to arguments on both sides because they might not have committed to an opinion yet, and therefore are less likely to rationalize in favor of their opinion etc

Also, it's not common to see people changing their opinions in the course of a debate. Changing opinions happens on a much longer time scale, one of weeks or months or even years depending on how often you argue on the topic. It's still never a waste to argue because it forces you to put your arguments into coherent paragraphs, re-check your sources, take in opposing arguments & sources, etc...

In general it's good to consider that arguing in such a way that they wouldn't feel belittled if the other side were wrong helps a lot when actually trying to convince someone. That so many people fail to take this into consideration is probably another reflection on how people use their arguments mostly for ego purposes.

I try and go through life thinking that everything is only a possibility, with the exception of "I think therefore I am", everything else is just a working hypothesis. That generally keeps my arguments tolerable, but I can still get "triggered" by certain subjects...... especially Nationalism and Mormonism.

The bad thing about being one of the only competent counters for a high priority account like Kaiser is that your Supervisor and AM will very, very politely ask if you can work on a day you listed on your schedule as UNAVAILABLE (because school for 10 hours pls) and drive yourself 100 miles to said location since you'll miss the vanpool (BTW. the count starts at 9PM, meaning we'll be there at least until 2 AM, then gotta drive 100 miles back, GG)

They promised they'll cover mileage and give me travel time as compensation, but lol. I'm not that desperate for pocket munnies to work my ass off

Then they said they'll give me a Louise de la Valliere and Nana Deviluke figurine combo, and I said absolutely!

No.

On 12/04/2016 at 10:26 AM, TexasDice said:

Today I was once again reminded why I hate arguing. I effectively wasted 4 hours of my life with explaining my unchanging viewpoint to others with opposing unchanging viewpoints. 

So now I'm sitting here asking myself; What was the point? And why did I not just use my time for something that is actually worth it?

Confession: I also hate arguing, but sometimes, I can't help it. 

I had a lengthy argument with some people recently about Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice and Man of Steel on another anime-related forum. It's super embarrassing, but if you guys want to see it, I can post it here.

1 minute ago, Milk Tea said:

I had a lengthy argument with some people recently about Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice and Man of Steel on another anime-related forum. It's super embarrassing, but if you guys want to see it, I can post it here.

Go ahead :upupu:

I can't believe the confessions thread went for 17 hours without a post.

Confession: I go back to work in 11 days, and I don't want to :komari:

Edit: Another Confession: I love picking up the soundtrack for a VN a week or two after I finish it. Just got the Steins;Gate soundtrack and started flipping through it. So. Much. Nostalgia.

Alright. I am going through my Trance music phase again. DJ Satomi and such. Seriously I feel old when songs are over 10 years old now.

On another note I am a bit salty today. Because I am working tomorrow and possible sunday too. I love when we can't upgrade our IT applications on workdays.

On 14/4/2016 at 0:01 PM, Milk Tea said:

I'm absolutely not a fan of Superman (I'm a Batman "fan") and didn't see Batman v Superman, but I recently watched Man of Steel and found all the so-called fans really harsh on it. Actually, nearly all of their arguments seem to be really wrong, and I found a lot of good things in this movie, that I actually liked a lot. It actually reconciled me with Superman, because until now I thought he was a bit boring, without any shade, without any internal struggle, while in this one he actually had a deep and contrast personnality. So, I didn't read all of your argument, but I'm kinda with you.

I'm not really outspoken or opinionated, but I just got tired of all the so-called "Superman Fans" hating on Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice and especially Man of Steel which, in my opinion, elevate his character above what any other adaptation in media outside of comic books have done in his 70+ years of history.

16 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

Confession: I find this really sad http://htwins.net/scale2/lang.html I don't know why, maybe because it means that we are nothing in this vast thing called universe 

I find it almost the opposite. The fact we form such a tiny, tiny part and yet know about such vast, vast things is truly incredible to me. And let's face it, we have trouble sometimes comprehending the difference between one side of this planet to the other, so what difference does 1027m actually make, eh? :sachi:

Confession: Sleep didn't happen last night. I tried going to sleep at 12, and it didn't happen. I read with low light, did some push-ups, drank some lavender tea and ignited a lavender incense stick, and still nothing. It's now 7 a.m., so I've basically given up and am now focusing on slogging this day out. At least I don't have to be productive today!   \ :wafuu: /