Fuwanovel Confessions

OriginalRen

When Cantor came up with all the stuff explained in that Vsauce video, few people believed him and he was criticized for most of his life. It's not surprising that you would encounter difficulties with those notions, that wasn't an easy video. You're still in high-school aren't you? Stuff like that or the double-slit experiment usually requires an L1/L2 solid background to be understood.

Although Vsauce is incredibly good at explaining stuff. Most of his videos are amazing. And if you want to get your mind blown again by maths, watch his Banach-Tarsky video.

7 minutes ago, Down said:

Although Vsauce is incredibly good at explaining stuff. Most of his videos are amazing. And if you want to get your mind blown again by maths, watch his Banach-Tarsky video.

Speaking of weird-names-separated-by-a-hyphen ideas...

Confession: I got triggered by Baader-Meinhoff again the day before yesterday. I saw a reddit post mentioning the "temporomandibular joint" and looked it up... later that day I watched the first episode of Tanaka-kun (not too bad but it would have been better if the characters were girls instead) and it had this:

ljrv8HU.png

5 minutes ago, Down said:

When Cantor came up with all the stuff explained in that Vsauce video, few people believed him and he was criticized for most of his life. It's not surprising that you would encounter difficulties with those notions, that wasn't an easy video. You're still in high-school aren't you? Stuff like that or the double-slit experiment usually requires an L1/L2 solid background to be understood.

I watched that one too but it kinda lost me around the time it introduced the 5th-6th dot "types"

Kind of got the gist of it though

Great stuff either way.

13 minutes ago, Flutterz said:

Confession: I got triggered by Baader-Meinhoff again the day before yesterday. I saw a reddit post mentioning the "temporomandibular joint" and looked it up... later that day I watched the first episode of Tanaka-kun (not too bad but it would have been better if the characters were girls instead) and it had this:

Last Baader-Meinhoff I had was Jorge Luis Borges' short story Funes the Memorious.

Read about it in an Umberto Eco book, then a week later in a Foucault book, and that same day someone mentioned in on my Twitter timeline.

Reminds me of when I got Clannad spoiled twice the same day in two completely different places of the internet without even particularly looking up Clannad stuff. Dem weird coincidences.

2 hours ago, Down said:

Last Baader-Meinhoff I had was Jorge Luis Borges' short story Funes the Memorious.

Read about it in an Umberto Eco book, then a week later in a Foucault book, and that same day someone mentioned in on my Twitter timeline.

Good story. I think I actually read it in Spanish for my "independent study" class (by which I mean, sit in the library and read Borges and Cervantes for an hour - good times) back in high school.

3 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Confession: It's pissing me the fuck off that I can't wrap my head around ordinal numbers (and yes I AM aware that this fucking concept is a hugely high level of math)

Rather than the concept itself being difficult, the problem is likely more that it's not the kind of math you're used to. Proof-oriented math, or however you want to call the stuff you'll follow in a typical undergrad math major sequence at a good university, requires a very different mindset than, at least, everything I had up through high school (in math or science). Once you build that muscle, both of Cantor's diagonalization proofs are both elegant and straightforward, IMO. The trick for both comes in understanding and accepting the axioms, specifically in this case the definition of "size of a set".

Foundations of math, like set theory and formal logic, is almost more like a puzzle game than like the typical calculation-oriented math courses you'll have taken up until now. They'll make up some rules, hand them to you, and then you go play in the sandbox. This is a totally reasonable mindset to take with ordinal numbers - you can probably have a fantastic argument with a philosopher of mathematics about whether integers and the ordinal numbers "exist", maybe even whether one exists and the other does not. But they are unquestionably less practical, for most people. And that actually does matter, even to mathematicians - ensuring the consistency of your axioms, and even reevaluating your fundamental axioms, can be valuable. Geometry is the poster child here that people love to talk about, but the story of set theory, Russell's paradox, and whatnot is arguably even more interesting.

Now, despite saying that stuff about games, don't misunderstand me. Even when you're talking about a simple system like formal logic, shit gets real, fast, when you start trying to prove things about your system (rather than prove things within your system, which is often pretty easy). Don't even try to read Godel. Completeness and consistency of the propositional calculus, fine, I can hang with those proofs. Remind me of the core ideas, give me a week, and I could probably produce them both. Completeness and consistency of the predicate calculus? Nope nope nope. Incompleteness theorem for formal number theory? All of my nope.

Foundations of math is fun stuff. But it'll take time to reshape your brain to think in the right way about it, and it probably won't happen without a good university lecturer (on any math topic) and a lot of time investment on your part.

Confession: Still, I don't think I wish I were a mathematician.

15 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Confession: Holy shit, I think I met one of the dumbest people I've known in quite a long while.  They actually had me call a manger to complain to them that we didn't carry the color of sponge that they wanted.  Yep, that's right, she wanted a specific color of sponge and essentially threw a tantrum because we didn't have it (because the people that make them discontinued it, by the way).  Who even cares what color your sponge is?!  Ugh...just remembering that irritates me.

My sister used to work as a cashier part time, she told me all sorts of wonderful stories of people getting mad at her because THEY didn't have enough money in their bank account to make a purchase. 

People are insane, that is why I always take on jobs dealing with inventory in the backroom or night shifts. 

The jetlag of a 32-hour day really isn't so bad, except that I occasionally wobble severely enough that I'm likely very soon to fall out of my chair and crash onto the floor.

If I stay awake for five more hours, I give myself a 50-50 chance of waking up at a reasonable time tomorrow.

Confession: I'm getting too old for this shit.

16 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

The jetlag of a 32-hour day really isn't so bad, except that I occasionally wobble severely enough that I'm likely very soon to fall out of my chair and crash onto the floor.

If I stay awake for five more hours, I give myself a 50-50 chance of waking up at a reasonable time tomorrow.

Confession: I'm getting too old for this shit.

Jetlag's a bitch.

Here listen to this, if you put it on repeat it should help you stay awake. Ignore the title, it's ... er, satirical.

6 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Jetlag's a bitch.

Here listen to this, if you put it on repeat it should help you stay awake. Ignore the title, it's ... er, satirical.

Let me just have a word with Admiral Ackbar before clicking that.

Ok, he's given his full support to me watching your video. I have, therefore, decided to play Huniepop instead.

Today I was once again reminded why I hate arguing. I effectively wasted 4 hours of my life with explaining my unchanging viewpoint to others with opposing unchanging viewpoints. 

So now I'm sitting here asking myself; What was the point? And why did I not just use my time for something that is actually worth it?

13 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

Today I was once again reminded why I hate arguing. I effectively wasted 4 hours of my life with explaining my unchanging viewpoint to others with opposing unchanging viewpoints. 

So now I'm sitting here asking myself; What was the point? And why did I not just use my time for something that is actually worth it?

Blame @Flutterz for starting the thread ...

I'm taking a number theory course and it's amazing. I love this interesting somewhat high-level stuff. There's so much to be fascinated about, the least of which is how we often find very specific and deep answers to simple questions. One of my goals in life is to become someone who knows a ton about math. I've taken some physics and it's somewhat interesting, but there's something about the fundamental nature of math that's so cool. It's hard to explain. It's like, with physics you have things that "actually happen" to inform you and to tell you what's happening and why. But with math it just seems to happen and the why seems (to me) so heavenly or something.

I mean, if you felt the same way about physics, then you'd have to think that I'm ignorant or foolish, probably, because obviously the same things can be said about physics, but something about math is so glorious. "Here are these numbers, check out these absurd and relevant relationships."

Honestly while I was still doing calculus I never felt like that. Sometimes when we would talk about how some sum or another ended up being this way or that I would be wowed, but the higher level stuff that requires a lot of machinery is seriously interesting. It also has the benefit(?) of being very hard for the typical person to really grasp because of that machinery, so I feel like as I learn more of it I'm becoming a more special person or something. Like I know something my friends won't really understand even if they look it up.

Of course I'm just starting, so I want to learn a lot more. I'm not very knowledgeable yet.

Confession: Girl told me that I have long fingers. Is that supposed to be good or bad? :michiru:

4 hours ago, Kawasumi said:

Confession: I need to turn my life around, I need to clean my apartment, I need to take my education and my music seriously, I need to begin working out, study more japanese and read more visual novels.

Want some ice cream? :sachi: 

9 hours ago, Nashetania said:

Confession: I slept for 12 hours straight and I regret nothing.

I am so envious right now. If I'd managed that, I would've woken up at 8 AM and probably fixed my jetlag in one night. Instead, I woke up at 5 AM.

5 hours ago, Kawasumi said:

Confession: I need to turn my life around, I need to clean my apartment, I need to take my education and my music seriously, I need to begin working out, study more japanese and read more visual novels.

Make a list. Make specific goals. Make sure you're making progress on those goals. And do the cleaning within the next two days, because you can actually knock that out in a day and make your list shorter, which feels good.

22 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Make a list. Make specific goals. Make sure you're making progress on those goals. And do the cleaning within the next two days, because you can actually knock that out in a day and make your list shorter, which feels good.

Yes, making lists of things to do is a great way to postpone other things you have to do while making you feel like you're actually doing something :Teeku: