What's the meaning behind your username?

Roach

I had been playing .hack back when I was trying to come up with a new username a bunch of places.  At one point early on Balmung says something along the lines of 'it has an HP value that is... Infinite' about a Data Bug.  I'm mortal, therefore finite HP.

Well, my name is not Fred, and I'm not a barber.

The long story: perhaps in reaction to Secret of Mana giving you something like a paltry 6 letters to name all your main characters (and worse, forcing you to name them), Secret of Evermore gave some ludicrous amount of space like 20 letters (and, again, forced you to name the characters). Now, the intro to SoE had all these cheesy fake B-movie references, to such new classics as "Mars Needs Lumberjacks". I was so excited by both of these two things that I absolutely needed to give my two nameable characters super-long names that sounded like the leads in a B-movie. The dog became "Sam the Viking", and the main character became "Fred the Barber". Years later, I started using the latter as my handle whenever I played Halo (although the original Halo had a fairly limited number of letters for names, so FTB became an even more common nickname for me), and pretty soon I was using it everywhere.

On 14 January 2015 at 4:42 PM, FinalChaos said:

I think everyone knows the meaning of my username.

As for for how I came up with it -

I always the liked the word 'Chaos' but the thing which made me think about using it as a name was Final Fantasy's last boss.

But Chaos was usually hard to get as it's quite popular. So while thinking about a variation 'Final' popped into my head(I fear FF's last boss was to blame for this).

Thus 'FinalChaos'

It's been more than year I see .....

Well my name isn't anything special.

I was about 14-15 years old, and I had used some really bland usernames until that point, so I started brainstorming for something better and original.

As always, I could've just taken some word, a Japanese thingy, just something obscure or some crazy abbreviations, but I've always had a bad habit of being a smart-ass and original to some extent. Thus I delved into the linguistic side of things.

Basically, I conjoined an suffix -tic, -otic(meaning an obsession of sorts like in manic, for example with the word "arcade", to make a fancier way of saying "game addict".

Boy, was I proud of it then, and still kind of am still, after over 2 years of using it.

• 3 months later...

I was into Greek mythology during the time I created my username. I decided to create a new one because my previous username used my actual name and that's pretty dangerous. So I wanted to have a kickass name and randomly searched for Greek names and discovered that they've all been pretty much been used as usernames already, so I thought "Why not combine a bunch of syllables that sound Greek-ish?" and endes up with Xykros. Stupid, I know, but hey. It's unique.

Okay, apparently back in my introduction thread I remember some detail wrong. In regard of my username here, once again it's still that when I want to give information in regard of Grisaia translation back at Grisaia no Kajitsu Indonesian language review, I remember Shogun from Chaos Head, and I decided to add Jr behind it (Back there I think Shogun from Chaos Head was quite interesting and mysterious, so back there I was sort of want to made myself like mysterious helper by using that name). So to be exact my first username was ShogunJr. And after that when I was give a comment at some blogpost (Amaterasu Translation iirc), somehow I decided to use littleshogun name (Got it, Jr could mean little).

For more story, back at 2014 I decided to randomly register it here (Not to said 'Merry Christmas' to Majikoi Translation Team if you ask me the reason) using name littleshogun. And when I decided to be more involved here, I tried to change my username, only to find that I couldn't or need new email. So, since I already had this account, why not use it more? And there's my story in regard of my username. Oh, and back in VNDB I'd already had asaki account when I tried to register with this username (I forgot why I decided asaki username for VNDB, other than I decided it randomly), so I couldn't change the nickname. Figure that it would bother to made another email, I decided to just let it be.

That's all for my rambling about my username here.

Rime is a word referring to a kind of hoarfrost (see left) which leaves a layer of ice on everything. It also happens to be pronounced almost exactly like ライム (as in lime), which is another common theme in my usernames. I decided to go with the double meaning and thus came the name, which I particularly like due to how short it is. And also, ライムの突撃 sounds great.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...