A VN with the structure like Clannad?

Vokoca

Clannad was one of the first VNs I've read, yet I keep thinking about it almost after every single VN I finish. That's not necessarily because of nostalgia or because it was the most amazing VN ever - it's because of its structure. I've loved how the common route was nearly non-existent, changing based on the choices you've made, instead of being just a set scenario where you would collect flags up to a certain point like most other VNs do it.

My question is, do you know of any VNs with a similar structure? The more variety and choices, the better. I don't really care what the genre is - and I don't mind untranslated VNs, I might actually prefer those.

Closest one I can think of off the top of my head is Da Capo 2, whose first major branch point is about 5-10 minutes in. The choices are done differently, but it's still close to the same effect. There is practically no real common route and you see barely any repeat content on subsequent playthroughs.

Symphonic Rain :3

How does that one work? Could you elaborate a bit?

Closest one I can think of off the top of my head is Da Capo 2, whose first major branch point is about 5-10 minutes in. The choices are done differently, but it's still close to the same effect. There is practically no real common route and you see barely any repeat content on subsequent playthroughs.

Hm, that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, thanks! I'll definitely keep this one in mind.

I'm just trying to look for a VN with the most 'freedom', per se - I wonder just how far it can be taken considering the limitations. Anyone else know of any?

I'd say anything else Key makes, but that's kind of a cop out answer, isn't it?

Maybe Ever 17, but the common route there is pretty large. If you are looking for tons of choices, I'd say FSN or type moon stuff in general as those usually have a lot of choices. I can't think of anything else really... ( haven't really played a lot of VN's... )

I'd say anything else Key makes, but that's kind of a cop out answer, isn't it?

Maybe Ever 17, but the common route there is pretty large. If you are looking for tons of choices, I'd say FSN or type moon stuff in general as those usually have a lot of choices. I can't think of anything else really... ( haven't really played a lot of VN's... )

Other than Clannad, I've only played Rewrite, Little Busters! and Kanon, but all of those have a set common route in one way or the other. What I'm looking for is a VN that branches out really early on, none of those really do. :)

Ever17 kind of has two common routes, and F/sn is just three big routes with bad ends all over. ^^;

I'm just trying to look for a VN with the most 'freedom', per se - I wonder just how far it can be taken considering the limitations. Anyone else know of any?

Clannad has the most "freedom" of any english translated one that I know of. Although I wouldn't really call that freedom, its route structure just happens to be insanely convoluted. It seems like developers have learned that if it's not a dating sim, most people don't actually want simulation aspects. You get the sense that developers used to want the players roleplay a little, but now they just want them to read. I honestly think VNs are better now that they're simpler.

The basic version of Da Capo 2 could be broken down with a really simple flowchart, the game is in three acts, with act 1 being split into two overarching storylines chosen by a simple choice a few minutes in, act 2 with three different possible storylines with the one you land on depending on which heroine you score the most points with, and act 3 being the six different heroine routes. Within the first act, probably 90% or more of the content is in heroine-specific events that you choose from choices, and for act 2 probably half is. I don't know how the upgraded versions with extra heroines work, since those unfortunately weren't translated. Anyways, I appreciate the replayability DC2 offered, it honestly kind of surprised me how much content it had (WAY more than DC1) with minimal repetition in repeat playthroughs. But it's also probably the most complex I want a VN to be. It's varied but simple. I kind of hate the Clannad structure. Well, I'm really praising DC2's route structure but it's kind of a shame that the heroine routes can be lackluster. Still better than DC1, which isn't a very high bar.

I'm not sure what a VN that offers more freedom would even look like. At what point would it stop being a VN and start being an adventure game? Maybe it would just be Planescape Torment with the combat taken out.

I'm not sure what a VN that offers more freedom would even look like. At what point would it stop being a VN and start being an adventure game? Maybe it would just be Planescape Torment with the combat taken out.

Well, visual novels are called 'adventure games' in Japan, so... :D

A visual novel with such freedom wouldn't probably have a very good story (much like how a lot of Clannad's value is in After Story), but I'd really like to see something crazy. Clannad can't be the only VN with a ridiculously convoluted flowchart, can it?

Well, visual novels are called 'adventure games' in Japan, so... :D

A visual novel with such freedom wouldn't probably have a very good story (much like how a lot of Clannad's value is in After Story), but I'd really like to see something crazy. Clannad can't be the only VN with a ridiculously convoluted flowchart, can it?

A ridiculously convoluted flowchart? Something like this, perhaps?

page_1.jpg

page_1.jpg

You might've just given me the final push here, I was considering trying this thing for the longest time. Just out of curiosity, I was looking at the series, and... Shining Days? Cross Days? Island Days? Summer D-- w-what is even going on? Has anyone played the other releases from this series? I figured I'd just pick the best one since they're all probably more or less the same.

Katawa Shoujo? The common route is a bit, uncommon like the rest of the VN's I've read. A good read anyhow if you would like.

Played that one. :)

You might've just given me the final push here, I was considering trying this thing for the longest time. Just out of curiosity, I was looking at the series, and... Shining Days? Cross Days? Island Days? Summer D-- w-what is even going on? Has anyone played the other releases from this series? I figured I'd just pick the best one since they're all probably more or less the same.

I suggest starting out with School Days since it's the first one that got released in the series. The other titles is mostly an alternate setting of School Days.

page_1.jpg

I can beat that. Kagetsu Tohya's flowchart (I'll just post the link because it's fucking huge): http://i.imgur.com/hkYYjoo.jpg

It's the sequel to Tsukihime which OP didn't seem too fond of looking at his scores, but it's sure crazy (different format though). I don't like complex flowcharts/routes so I didn't finish either School Days or Kagetsu Tohya.

I can beat that. Kagetsu Tohya's flowchart (I'll just post the link because it's fucking huge): http://i.imgur.com/hkYYjoo.jpg

It's the sequel to Tsukihime which OP didn't seem too fond of looking at his scores, but it's sure crazy (different format though). I don't like complex flowcharts/routes so I didn't finish either School Days or Kagetsu Tohya.

What, that looks awesome - and here I thought it was just a fandisc.

I've actually liked Tsukihime more than Fate when it comes to the story, the low score is caused mainly by the bad (almost nonexistent) sound design and lackluster soundtrack that is barely even playing - and the reused twists in a lot of the routes.