Total Line Count Tool for a Visual Novel?

Cyrillej1

[Problem Solved, Thanks!]

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone on here knows of any simple to use programs to count the total amount of lines in a visual novel game?  (I have no idea how to hack)

I tried some script extracting tools.. however I don't really need the actual script, just wanted to know total amount of text lines I'd be working with since it'd help me keep track of my progress.  So is there a way to do that without having to count every line myself?

Edited by Cyrillej1

There is no real tool to count the lines. What I do is put all the lines into an excel spreadsheet separated by scenario like mangagamer does. Then I use a formula that adds the lines from each scenario minus the headers to get the count.

There isn't a pre built tool but what you do to get a decent estimation is you look for what engine/language the VN is built in and use a macro to count all instances of in game text. All engines have parts in the code which tell it this is a line of text,  this is a line of text, you just use that to count them in moments.

Such as for this game it's using Nscripter, so all lines of text are usually going to end in a "\" Now the \'s also are used for defining file locations so you have to have it only count \'s which have punctuation before them. so "?\" "!\" "。\" etcetera, (this can be thrown off a bit if the VN doesn't end it's lines with punctuation, but from what nearly all Japanese VN's end lines with punctuation.

I used the Notepad++ editor's find in multiple files feature.  It tells you how many occurrences there are of whatever your looking for.

Well in my case, every line of the script started with the word "text", so that made it easy (there is no place in the script where I would need to use the word "text" as part of the translation)

EDIT:  sorry, meant to say that yes this was after the script was already extracted

I used the Notepad++ editor's find in multiple files feature.  It tells you how many occurrences there are of whatever your looking for.

Well in my case, every line of the script started with the word "text", so that made it easy (there is no place in the script where I would need to use the word "text" as part of the translation)

EDIT:  sorry, meant to say that yes this was after the script was already extracted

slamerz already helped me find the count number^^  but thanks for reply.

I did try extracting the script to try counting on my own before... but the text was a mess with a bunch of code & Japanese text lines all squished together everywhere, so maybe I extracted it wrong (it came out on my windows normal notepad). xD   Is it supposed to come out like that, or more neatly?

slamerz already helped me find the count number^^  but thanks for reply.

I did try extracting the script to try counting on my own before... but the text was a mess with a bunch of code & Japanese text lines all squished together everywhere, so maybe I extracted it wrong (it came out on my windows normal notepad). xD   Is it supposed to come out like that, or more neatly?

Notepad is sometimes incapable of handle certain kinds of formatting, and line breaks may not properly display when that happens. Most likely, it would have looked fine in other text editors like the ever-useful Notepad++.

Notepad is sometimes incapable of handle certain kinds of formatting, and line breaks may not properly display when that happens. Most likely, it would have looked fine in other text editors like the ever-useful Notepad++.

oh okay, thanks.  That might have been the problem then.  I'll keep that in mind for next time I try extracting a script :)