What Are You Watching: Movie and TV Show Edition

Zenophilious

12 hours ago, Syndiciate said:

*Wipes sweat from brow* That's a major relief. My friends were telling me mixed things about Deadpool and I was starting to get nervous. 

If you go into it expecting anything else other than a joke-filled violence fest with a lot of 4th wall destruction, then yeah, you'll probably be disappointed.  Don't know why someone would expect anything else than that out of a Deadpool movie, though.  The story overall is pretty weak if you look at a plot synopsis, but it's supported by all the great humor and just how goddamn good Ryan Reynolds is at being Deadpool.  The action scenes are also pretty good, but that's pretty much a given for any superhero movie.

I was pretty hyped up going into it, and I left more than satisfied, so take that as you will.  I'd totally be willing to see it a second time, and will definitely be buying it when it's released on DVD.

Also forgot to mention that I watched Winter's Bone.  The plot felt kinda rushed and left me expecting a little more than what was delivered, but damn, the setting was really good, and Jennifer Laurence was great.

So I just watched The Revenant in the theater today yesterday... AND IT WAS INTENSE AS FUCK! Someone on the previous page was mentioning how brutal the bear scene was but what about the dead horse scene?? That was pretty primal, I was like "well, that's certainly one way to stay warm xD...".

In all seriousness and relief, this is one of the best movies I've seen in these past three or four months; that raw expression of humanity in the context of revenge, that all natural lighting in the cinematography yo. It's Good Stuff worthy of an unforgettable experience as a former film enthusiast (who may be "former" no more after this, a revenant of that enthusiasm!) might I say. I hope a certain someone wins what they deserve from this.

21 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

If you go into it expecting anything else other than a joke-filled violence fest with a lot of 4th wall destruction, then yeah, you'll probably be disappointed.  Don't know why someone would expect anything else than that out of a Deadpool movie, though.  The story overall is pretty weak if you look at a plot synopsis, but it's supported by all the great humor and just how goddamn good Ryan Reynolds is at being Deadpool.  The action scenes are also pretty good, but that's pretty much a given for any superhero movie.

I was pretty hyped up going into it, and I left more than satisfied, so take that as you will.  I'd totally be willing to see it a second time, and will definitely be buying it when it's released on DVD.

Also forgot to mention that I watched Winter's Bone.  The plot felt kinda rushed and left me expecting a little more than what was delivered, but damn, the setting was really good, and Jennifer Laurence was great.

That's all I could ever want from a Deadpool movie. 

15 hours ago, Ayana said:

So I just watched The Revenant in the theater today yesterday... AND IT WAS INTENSE AS FUCK! Someone on the previous page was mentioning how brutal the bear scene was but what about the dead horse scene?? That was pretty primal, I was like "well, that's certainly one way to stay warm xD...".

Yeah that part was brutal but Star Wars already did it so it lost its "holyshit", kinda just felt like an homage to that scene.

Anyways, will watch again when Blue Ray comes out cause got damn.

On 2/14/2016 at 0:21 AM, Zenophilious said:

Now I want to see it even more..... 

Just completed Fargo Season 2. This style of writing had me intrigued long since season 1. That subtle air of bitter sweet sarcasm which feels ubiquitous on the show reminds me of the not-so-subtle (but still perfect) bitter sweet sarcastic breaking bad finale where the song 'Baby Blue' plays out as the crane shot moves over Walter.

And the writing quality is the least of my praise with all that's been going on with this show.

Turns out, I'm a big fan of gallows humour or at least something that corresponds to it.

On 2/15/2016 at 8:28 AM, CeruleanGamer said:

Now I want to see it even more..... 

DO IT.  Dunno how much it costs where you are, but it was totally worth $10.  I'm gonna go see it again this weekend.

Also saw Zoolander 2 yesterday.  Not gonna lie, it was a pretty big letdown.  It started out okay for a sequel, then it hit the crapper and mostly consisted of lame jokes that never really were quite funny.  They didn't manage to capture the stupidity of the original in quite the same way, and it's just, well, dumb without any of the charm that made the first one so appealing and humorous.  That's one I'd recommend skipping until it's on Netflix, if you really have to watch it.

4 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

DO IT.  Dunno how much it costs where you are, but it was totally worth $10.  I'm gonna go see it again this weekend.

Saw it today! So damn hilarious even after the credits. Never had this much laughs in a movie ever. 

Just now, CeruleanGamer said:

Saw it today! So damn hilarious even after the credits. Never had this much laughs in a movie ever. 

Right?  I knew there'd be an after-credits bit too, and man, was that bit funny.  Straight up saying that there's going to be a Deadpool 2 and that Cable will be in it  xD  Ahh, that was one of the few times I got really hyped for something and didn't get massively disappointed.

Did you have a favorite part of the movie, favorite joke, etc?  I liked the scenes with the Indian cab driver in it, especially the one towards the end.  "You need to win her back with your boyish charms!  (KIDNAP HER!)"  :wahaha:

Watched Revenant. Artistically all looks great (gorgeous views, great actors performance (while Leo here is not that great, Tom Hardy steals each scene he is in)), but plot... not so much. Nonsensical behavior of characters (like, 20 people went to help Leo when they heard from someone he is coming, but when it is about catching the dangerous criminal - sure, we will go all alone, you and me, that's more than enough), some scenes like swimming in the dead cold waters for long time, finding an indian right when you need him and stuff... So, well, that's a fairy tale. Still good enough to watch, but I will forget it completely in 3-4 monthes.

I've been in a kind of movie and TV black hole for the last few years, I should really try to crawl out of it and watch some of the stuff that's been coming out. So instead of watching anything new, I rewatched one of the few movies I saw in the last few years, Mad Max Fury Road. What a way to start! Just as good on the second watch as it was on the first. It's just so unique and refreshing. It's really fun to watch an action movie where you have no idea where it's going. It fills you with such a sense of wonderment. It also helps that the action is superbly choreographed. I really enjoy its brand of frantic, gritty action. Can't wait for the next one, whenever it comes out a million years from now (George Miller said he's doing something else before starting the next one).

Anyways, I'm gonna start watching the Fargo TV series soon.

6 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Right?  I knew there'd be an after-credits bit too, and man, was that bit funny.  Straight up saying that there's going to be a Deadpool 2 and that Cable will be in it  xD  Ahh, that was one of the few times I got really hyped for something and didn't get massively disappointed.

Did you have a favorite part of the movie, favorite joke, etc?  I liked the scenes with the Indian cab driver in it, especially the one towards the end.  "You need to win her back with your boyish charms!  (KIDNAP HER!)"  :wahaha:

I like when he visits the Xavier academy and says the production crew can't get any other X-Men. 

Just watched Alphaville, a french sci-fi/film noir from 1965.

It was just being wierd and artsy at first, but it picked up in the second half about technology and interesting perspective about the society which is a dystopian world were logic and reason rule and everyone that thinks otherwise will be shot.

Finished Fargo season 1 and moved on to 2. To be honest,I didn't really understand all of the praise for the show after watching the first season. I thought it was okay, it was certainly entertaining at times. But it won so many awards and has garnered so much acclaim, I expected more and was disappointed.

Season 2, though? After just two episodes of season 2, I can say that it's WAY better so far. Like, hardly even in the same ballpark. It's like the difference between True Detective seasons 1 and 2, except in reverse order. This season is off to such a great start, I hope they keep it up. 

Kinda getting into this Blu-Ray/DVD collecting thing. Last one I bought was Ghost in The Shell Special Edition DVD, going for GiTS Innocence or The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. After those I want to get some Pokemon DVD's (to bad I don't have a VHS player) and get a Donnie Yen collection movie collection going. 

Watched RoboCop a few days ago.  I honestly can't tell if it itself was lampshading the typical cop and action movie cliches or it was banking off of them.  It was definitely making fun of the '80s, though, and was a pretty good flick that didn't make me think too hard.  It had some amusing absurd moments, like the commercials and such, but most of it was action scenes, obviously.  Have to give it props, they pretty accurately depicted what happens to parts of the human body when you shoot them with a shotgun.

Also finished The Departed tonight.  Thought it was a really solid movie, even if it got a bit confusing at times.  They really had a really goddamn good cast, and it showed.  My only real complaint was the way it ended, and I can't really say much else about it without spoiling.  That rat at the end, though  xD

Been watching Fuller House...and I have to admit I'm liking it. Is it as cheesy as a Mac'nCheese Stuffed Crust Pizza with a side of garlic cheese bread? Oh yes, but there is an odd charm about it, plus the actors have pretty good chemistry. I'll admit it has its flaws, namely if you despised the original show this is definitely not for you, but if you at least liked parts of it it might be worth checking out (bear in mind I'm saying all this as someone who enjoyed the show as a kid and still kind of like it, but watching the reruns when there's nothing else on freely admits there are a number of episodes that don't hold up). One other thing, if you do decide to give the show a chance don't let the first episode be your only impression because that one is the weakest so far since even I think it goes a bit overboard with its call backs to the original show.

The Dark Knight Rewatch - Still 10/10 movie, right up to the point when

Spoiler

the joker is captured

then it hits a big wall and becomes super boring. 

I should pick up the Blue Ray for the third movie. Still have not rewatched it since it was released in theaters. (No rush though cause that third movie, ehh)

It definitely had some cool moments. When all the cops are closing in on him was damn chilling but the rest was so ehh.

Watched American Psycho a while back.  That "Hip to Be Square" scene was just great.  I actually started laughing my ass off when Bale was all hyper and positive-sounding right before he was going to murder someone.  The rest of the movie wasn't as good as that one scene, but it was pretty decent.  Got me interested in the book, though, so I gotta give it that.