What Are You Watching: Movie and TV Show Edition

Zenophilious

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching The Room.  I'd heard that it was awful, but Jesus H. Christ, that was so goddamn bad I can barely believe that it's a real movie and not some thrown together YouTube video.  It was actually worse than I anticipated, and I wasn't expecting much.  At what point did any of the people involved with making this movie look at what they were doing and think, "You know, I'm really glad to be a part of this"?  Ugh.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2015 at 8:26 AM, Zenophilious said:

Just finished watching Monty Python's Life of Brian.  Man, they are completely ludicrous but amazingly funny at the same time.

"What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?"

There's a really cool documentary (with them constantly explaining stuff) about how they did their films, and it's really entertaining and surprising.

I'm starting this week The Shannara Chronicles. Heard it's promising.

On 1/13/2016 at 1:01 AM, Jun Inoue said:

There's a really cool documentary (with them constantly explaining stuff) about how they did their films, and it's really entertaining and surprising.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.  Hope it's available on Netflix's DVD rental system.  Would you mind giving me the name?

By the way, has anyone seen The Revenant?  I heard it's really really good, but I'm pretty hesitant nowadays about going to see movies in theaters.  Would anyone recommend it?

7 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.  Hope it's available on Netflix's DVD rental system.  Would you mind giving me the name?

By the way, has anyone seen The Revenant?  I heard it's really really good, but I'm pretty hesitant nowadays about going to see movies in theaters.  Would anyone recommend it?

Monty Python: Almost the Truth (Lawyers Cut). It's a 6 parts documentary. The first part focuses on the Pythons' lives before Flying Circus; the second part covers their coming together and starting Flying Circus; the third part is about the Python records, their personal lives, and the end of Flying Circus; the fourth part looks at their transition to film with And Now for Something Completely Different and Holy Grail, continuing in the fifth part with Life of Brian and the various controversies it caused; and the sixth and final part covers Live at the Hollywood Bowl, The Meaning of Life, Chapman's death, and the five surviving members going on their separate ways and doing other projects.

Just finished the original Mad Max.  Don't really have any strong opinions about it, aside from the fact that the crashes and stunts were really, really good.  I appreciate the fact that it was rather dark, considering how weird Australia can get with censorship, but I found the plot to be pretty predictable.  Planning on watching the other two in the near future.

Double post  :(

Watched Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior today.  I liked it a lot better than the first one, honestly.  The plot was still pretty predictable, but the atmosphere was a lot better, IMO, and I appreciated the fact that there were a few surprises that I couldn't guess at from having watched some other Mad Max movies.

EDIT (Because I cannot make myself triple post): Finished watching Beyond Thunderdome.  That was such a letdown.  The first third was great, and then it splits off into some post-apocalyptic Peter Pan and the Lost Boys BS?  Dafuq.  Not even mentioning the fact that the whole movie was a ton lighter and more "family friendly" than the previous two.  You just can't make a good, family-friendly post-apocalyptic movie, it just doesn't work.  Man, it was such a bummer coming from The Road Warrior to Beyond Thunderdome; I had a bunch of expectations that were seemingly met and then dashed to pieces after the focus left Bartertown.  George Miller, y u do dis 2 me.  The Thunderdome fight scene was great, though, I have to admit.  I laughed pretty hard when I saw one of the pre-fight girls pick up a chainsaw.

Started watching Animaniacs again, and dear God, do I love that cartoon.  It's the perfect mix of absurdity and jokes only adults will get, along with kid stuff.  So bummed I didn't find it until recently.

Also re-watched Zodiac.  Pretty good movie, even if they did change a few things.  That was the one that convinced me that the claims that Jake Gyllenhaal couldn't act were false.

Can't bring myself to watch any of the movies in my Netflix queue. Currently waiting for the continuation of Adventure Time, the final episode of Gravity Falls, another set of Steven Bombs, the Hunter x Hunter dub I was promised, the continuation of Samurai Jack and whatever amount of Inuyasha I can handle for the day. 

Just watched Deadpool, after switching theaters because the first one we went to was sold out.  Man, was that worth the $10.  Easily one of the best superhero movies I've seen so far, and most definitely the funniest.  Not gonna lie, I'd go see the sequel in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Zenophilious said:

Just watched Deadpool, after switching theaters because the first one we went to was sold out.  Man, was that worth the $10.  Easily one of the best superhero movies I've seen so far, and most definitely the funniest.  Not gonna lie, I'd go see the sequel in a heartbeat.

Got back from Deadpool as well and ditto for me, it was everything I would want a Deadpool movie to be. Here's hoping they can afford more X-men in the sequel ;)